PDA

View Full Version : HPotD interviews Gale Anne Hurd...

Neil
05-Oct-2010, 07:31 PM
Another Lee Karr special!

Click here! (http://www.homepageofthedead.com/baps/)

AcesandEights
05-Oct-2010, 07:44 PM
Dude!

You were right when you said Lee delivered once again, Neil!

I'll read this when I get home this evening, but I had to take a quick look at it. Very cool.

Thanks to you for sharing it with us, Neil and thanks--of course--to Lee for yet another trove of info straight from the source. Now I want to know if anything was said about previous projects. I know Gale Anne Hurd has worked on some classics! Regardless, just hearing her take on TWD will be juicy enough for me. :)

bassman
05-Oct-2010, 07:47 PM
Good stuff.

Entirely up to George, huh? I guess that's not gonna happen.

And that may be for the best...

ProfessorChaos
05-Oct-2010, 07:49 PM
very good interview, lee. i really enjoyed reading that and learning that the severe enthusiasm for this project isn't just on our part.

also really like this bit:

Can you talk about any influence that Romero's films might have had on the show?

We consider Night of the Living Dead to be the classic zombie film. It's the Holy Grail. In that respect, the zombies weren't funny - they were a real threat. At the same time they didn't have super human speed. They weren't Usain Bolt, who can run 100 meters in 9 seconds. They are dead by the way! So we thought it was important to take it very seriously and think about if you were dead you wouldn't be moving quickly - you had some serious bite mark, your internal organs were effected - you've been chomped on a bit. You probably wouldn't be getting around like a world class sprinter.

We talked about the zombie in the cemetery. You know, he can get up to a jog, but he's not going to win the track meet.

good to read that. i don't mind a zombie taking into a light trot or moving quickly after prey, but the track-star shit is beyond ridiculous in my book.

also glad to see that they don't view the zombies are gags or jokes (take a note, mr. romero) and are keeping them lethal and menacing, not shoving fire extinguishers in their mouths and popping their eyeballs out/splitting them down the middle wit a broadsword and shitty CGI/making them look like pez-dispensers/etc.

kidgloves
05-Oct-2010, 09:22 PM
Superb interview Lee. Well done mate. Miss Hurd sounds like she's buzzing as much as the rest of them. I like the way the interview was kept with a Romero slant to it.
Why the hell is she wearing a gooners shirt?

I've gotta stop watching those videos as well. Almost got the whole pilot running around in my head.

thxleo
05-Oct-2010, 10:00 PM
Thank you again to Neil for posting this for me. You are the best, Neil. :)

Thanks to everyone so far who enjoyed the read. I appreciate the kind words!

AcesandEights wondered if I discussed any of Gale's previous work? Unfortunately I only had 30 minutes max to interview her and I had a lot of things I wanted to touch on about "The Walking Dead", so I didn't have time to ask her about Aliens or The Terminator films or James Cameron, etc... I would have loved to though!

DubiousComforts
06-Oct-2010, 12:11 AM
Way to go, Lee! A+ job!

Ghost Of War
06-Oct-2010, 07:13 AM
Nice interview, really enjoyed that. Shame about the Arsenal shirt, though.

MinionZombie
06-Oct-2010, 09:57 AM
Cool stuff! :)

Soooooooo looking forward to seeing this. Not long now, hopefully we UK folk get it ASAP after it airs in America.

Neil
06-Oct-2010, 10:27 AM
Cool stuff! :)

Soooooooo looking forward to seeing this. Not long now, hopefully we UK folk get it ASAP after it airs in America.

At least the UK showing isn't being cut like the US version!

MinionZombie
06-Oct-2010, 11:38 AM
At least the UK showing isn't being cut like the US version!

Eh? :confused:

And hopefully "early November" on FXUK means like November 1st or 2nd ... not the 7th or something ... I can't be waiting around a week or several days to see it whilst all the Americans on here spunk all over the place :lol:, and I'd really like to support the show officially, if you know what I mean.

bassman
06-Oct-2010, 11:44 AM

And hopefully "early November" on FXUK means like November 1st or 2nd ... not the 7th or something ... I can't be waiting around a week or several days to see it whilst all the Americans on here spunk all over the place :lol:, and I'd really like to support the show officially, if you know what I mean.

It's November 5th for you guys.

And yes....eh Neil? Have they said the US version will be edited? If anything, I figured it would be edited overseas seeing how you guys allow sex and not violence. Here in the states it's the other way around, of course.:rolleyes:

Neil
06-Oct-2010, 11:44 AM

The US version is having nearly a minute of footage cut from it compared to the UK version. Guess some scenes are a bit too much!

So I'll happily wait for our version/showing :)

bassman
06-Oct-2010, 12:59 PM
The US version is having nearly a minute of footage cut from it compared to the UK version. Guess some scenes are a bit too much!

Where did you hear this? In this interview, Hurd says they haven't had to edit anything....

Neil
06-Oct-2010, 01:08 PM
Where did you hear this? In this interview, Hurd says they haven't had to edit anything....

It was a little voice in my head... It told me to say it to try and stir you guys up :) Damn you for being so level headed!

bassman
06-Oct-2010, 01:11 PM
It was a little voice in my head... It told me to say it to try and stir you guys up :) Damn you for being so level headed!

:lol: Damn yous!!

Like I said earlier - if anything....your version may be edited, unfortunately. Hopefully not for your sake. I imagine FXUK is similar to our FX network and they're pretty good about airing stuff without much editing.

Ghost Of War
06-Oct-2010, 01:14 PM
There's no chance of any editing on FXUK, thank feck.

MinionZombie
06-Oct-2010, 03:52 PM
Yeah, no way it'll be edited in the UK. Some of the shit we get away with on our telly programmes would make a million soccer moms faint with utter indignation. :D I mean I remember seeing the first season of Dexter air on ITV (free-to-air channel, i.e. not subscription channel like on Sky or Virgin Media) ... I'd seen it long before that, but it was interesting to see that it was airing in a relatively prime time (but post-10pm) timeslot. As far as I'm aware it wasn't edited - just an example.

It used to be far stricter - films like T2 and so on having certain violence and every single "fuck" edited out - but for the last decade or so it's been far, far more relaxed. It's very rare for something to be edited on TV these days ... unless it's the use of "cunt" in Shaun of the Dead. :rolleyes:

shootemindehead
07-Oct-2010, 01:48 AM
ITV used to be the worst offender for that. Their audio cut for 'Aliens' in the late 80's was nothing short of astonishing.

Ghost Of War
07-Oct-2010, 07:36 AM
ITV used to be the worst offender for that. Their audio cut for 'Aliens' in the late 80's was nothing short of astonishing.

Nah, the best/worst one was Robocop..."Ladies leave", "Why me! Why me!"

Neil
07-Oct-2010, 08:18 AM

I still remember Crocodile Dundee. There was a scene where he was talking to two prostitutes and their pimp turns up and various comments are exchanged, and the pimp obivously says something nasty about the ladies, so Dundee punches and knocks him out.

Obviously a word or two in the exchange was deemed too much, so in the cut version, aired for kids, we see Dundee talking to the two prostitues, the pimp basically walk up, and Dundee just punching him for no reason!

Way to go! Mindless violence is OK kids!!

MinionZombie
07-Oct-2010, 09:38 AM
Ahhhh, Robocop on ITV during the 90s ... I remember it well. You can imagine my shock when I saw it on the official video! :D

"Fun me! Fun me!" as the convenience store robber was repeatedly saying. :lol: And I think Clarence said something about "blow it out your nose" rather than "ass" at one point ... I mean good god. :rolleyes:

As a kid I never noticed these edits really, but geez, they stick out these days.

It's always annoying when they show a PG movie during the daytime too - e.g. Back to the Future - they edit out the swearing, so Marty's always saying "Holy geez!" rather than "Holy shit!" :rolleyes:

bassman
07-Oct-2010, 12:10 PM
It's always annoying when they show a PG movie during the daytime too - e.g. Back to the Future - they edit out the swearing, so Marty's always saying "Holy geez!" rather than "Holy shit!" :rolleyes:

I remember laughing at Doc's TV line of "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious STUFF". It's just so obvious that you're left wondering why they even tried. Shaun and Fuzz's "funk" are quite funny too.

I can deal with TV edits from time to time. You've just got to have a bit of....

http://avatarhell.com/a/avatarhell_splonamona_IMAGINATION.gif

MinionZombie
07-Oct-2010, 06:22 PM
Speaking of those Shaun/Fuzz "funk" features, I wonder what the equivalent on the Scott Pilgrim release will be like. Seriously - there's gonna be a "funk" version on it. :confused: Hmmm...

Maybe just the same, but replacing soft words like "shit" with nonsense, rather than "fuck" etc with nonsense.

Neil
07-Oct-2010, 06:35 PM
No surprise, AICN, CinemaBlend and DarkHorizons are seemingly not interested in the interview...

I still remember them turning a blind eye to Lee's fab Romero interview. Holy Jesus, just the Romero puppet itself was worth posting about surely... But nope then... And nope again now...

Bizarre!

bassman
07-Oct-2010, 06:38 PM
Holy Jesus, just the Romero puppet itself was worth posting about surely...

Now the puppet is all over the Survival special features. Romero even puppeteers the thing at one point....

BillyRay
07-Oct-2010, 06:45 PM
Now the puppet is all over the Survival special features. Romero even puppeteers the thing at one point....

Meh, been done.

But seriously...

Between that and my crew going "Muldooooon" a lot, I have to pick this up, now.

Is that the DVD or Blu-ray?

bassman
07-Oct-2010, 06:49 PM
Is that the DVD or Blu-ray?

Both, I think. It's at the beginning and end of the "walking after midnight" documentary. It's on the BR, but i'm also pretty sure it's on the dvd.

The doc is made by the same "big boned" guy from the Diary specials.

AcesandEights
07-Oct-2010, 06:51 PM
No surprise, AICN, CinemaBlend and DarkHorizons are seemingly not interested in the interview...

I still remember them turning a blind eye to Lee's fab Romero interview. Holy Jesus, just the Romero puppet itself was worth posting about surely... But nope then... And nope again now...

Bizarre!

http://www.acuroots.com/articles/legends_rodney-dangerfield1231205536.jpg
No respect!

But there's got to be a few places that will find this interesting...hell, what about AMC themselves?

kidgloves
07-Oct-2010, 08:42 PM
Send it to FXUK

Neil
07-Oct-2010, 09:49 PM
Send it to FXUK

Message sent...

kidgloves
08-Oct-2010, 06:19 PM
Message sent...

Neil. These people would be interested in the interview as well mate.

http://thewalkingdeadpodcast.com/

http://www.walkingdeadcast.com/

http://www.talkingdeadpodcast.com/

They're all excellent podcasts.

Neil
10-Oct-2010, 09:34 PM
Neil. These people would be interested in the interview as well mate.

http://thewalkingdeadpodcast.com/

http://www.walkingdeadcast.com/

http://www.talkingdeadpodcast.com/

There all excellent podcasts.

First two contacted, the last I couldn't see a contact method...

kidgloves
10-Oct-2010, 11:17 PM
First two contacted, the last I couldn't see a contact method...

Big button on right hand side saying CONTACT :)
talkingdeadpodcast@gmail.com

Neil
13-Oct-2010, 03:34 PM
^^ So did it get a mention anywhere? Bet not :(

kidgloves
13-Oct-2010, 05:19 PM
^^ So did it get a mention anywhere? Bet not :(

They all seem to record their shows on a Sunday so we'll see next week.

Griff
16-Oct-2010, 12:09 AM
Great job, Lee.