PDA

View Full Version : NOTLD 40th Aniversary Edition on sale at WalMart for $7.50

MoonSylver
09-Oct-2010, 04:33 AM
After work tonight I decided to stop by & check out their Halloween deisplay. Pretty disappointing, but I did score the aforementioned. Missed it the 1st time they had it & never botherd to get it online. (Already have the Millinium Edition & the colorized on DVD, PLUS the 25th Aniversary Edition & the *shudder* 30th on VHS)

Anyhoo, since I've heard that his is the best version availible on DVD I picked it up. Also got "Slither" for $4 as well, so not a bad score overall. :)

ProfessorChaos
09-Oct-2010, 06:14 AM
thanks for the tip, moon. i already own the millennium edition, which i feel is the definitive version....but i've never seen the 40th anniversary edition. anything special about this one? cool bonus features, etc?

and goddamn, i can't believe you owned up to possessing a copy of NotLD 30th....i've put it down in a couple other threads before, but since the search feature is fucked and it bears repeating, i got duped my some asshole on amazon marketplace selling a copy of this, and he/she just listed it as the regular film. up till that point, i'd never heard of the 30th edition. imagine my surprise and anger at what the fuck i saw when i popped it in for a viewing! as you can imagine, i sent it back the very next day and demanded my $ back and told the dude he should really specify what he was selling better.:|

MoonSylver
09-Oct-2010, 06:50 AM
thanks for the tip, moon. i already own the millennium edition, which i feel is the definitive version....but i've never seen the 40th anniversary edition. anything special about this one? cool bonus features, etc?

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2008/05/night-of-the-living-dead.jpg

Special Features

•Audio commentary by George A. Romero, Karl Hardman, Marilyn Eastman, and John A. Russo
•Audio commentary by Russell W. Streiner, Vince Surinski, Judith O'Dea, Bill Hinzman, Kyra Schon, and Keith Wayne
•One for the Fire: The Legacy of Night of the Living Dead documentary
•Speak of the Dead: A Conversation with George A. Romero Q&A
•Ben Speaks: The Last Interview with Duane Jones (audio only)
•Original theatrical trailer
•Still gallery
•Original screenplay DVD-ROM

From what I understand, a mixed bag. The comentary tracks are the ones from the Millenium. Same w/ the Duane Jones interview. OTOH the "One For The Fire" 84 min documentary is new, & I'm told worthwile. The Q&A w/ Romero is a new one too.

From what I'm told, the main attraction is the Remastered version of the film itself, which apparently was newly remastered from a orginal print specifically for DVD, as opposed to Elite's Millinium Edition, which was transfered over from their original Laserdisc release.

Here's a link that goes into more detail:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/night-living-dead-40th-anniversary-edition-dvd

At $7.50 I figure one can't go wrong regardless. :)

and goddamn, i can't believe you owned up to possessing a copy of NotLD 30th....

Eh...I didn't say I was HAPPY about it, but yeah, I have it.:barf:

EDIT:
Hurm. Found the thread in which I got Deej & Dubious' opinions on it. Read more HERE: http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?15160-Okay-what-copy-of-Night-should-I-get

krakenslayer
09-Oct-2010, 02:07 PM
40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION? Tell me this one doesn't cut out the cemetery zombie scene to make way for more new Russo-shot footage of Space Gremlins staging a raid on the Venus probe or some such thing. :lol:

MoonSylver
09-Oct-2010, 06:58 PM
40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION? Tell me this one doesn't cut out the cemetery zombie scene to make way for more new Russo-shot footage of Space Gremlins staging a raid on the Venus probe or some such thing. :lol:

Nope. This is the original version. The restore & remaster was overseen by GAR himself. No connection whatsoever to this or the 25th Aniversary edition, which was a right nifty little VHS set back in the day. Pitty Russo & co. tacked the "30 th Anviversary" moniker onto their load of crap, as now their apprently is confusion. :(

bassman
09-Oct-2010, 07:07 PM
I saw this in the halloween section but didn't bother to give it a look over. Does it have the same special features? If so, I need to go back and pick it up...

MoonSylver
09-Oct-2010, 07:47 PM
I saw this in the halloween section but didn't bother to give it a look over. Does it have the same special features? If so, I need to go back and pick it up...

Yep, it's the exact same. All they did was "sticky" a cardboard insert of that Halloween promo thingie to the front & re-shrink wrapped it. It comes right off w/ no damage to the DVD box, & you're left w/ the regular 40th as pictured above. ;)

Doc
09-Oct-2010, 08:27 PM
I have this edition, and the documentary is ok, but not nothing that isn't already known. There's a interview with Karl Hardman in it, if I remember correctly before he died. He looked quiet frail, and not well. :-( I recommend getting both Millennium Edition and the 40th anniversary if you want the best 'Night' dvds around.

Boogiedowndead
09-Oct-2010, 09:38 PM
Just order the 40th Anniversary copy from amazon.

The movie seems hard to find. I went to numerous stores and no one had it.

Right now I own Fox colorized and black and white version , colorized vhs , 30th anniversary.
Probably the worst editions of the film lol

I do how ever have a HD 720P on my pc lol

Jamn
13-Oct-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks for posting this. I went to get dogfood last night and decided to hit wally world just so I could pick up a copy. I like the artwork on the front, the back is kind of weird because all the trees are gone from around the house.

DEAD BEAT
13-Oct-2010, 09:58 PM
After work tonight I decided to stop by & check out their Halloween deisplay. Pretty disappointing, but I did score the aforementioned. Missed it the 1st time they had it & never botherd to get it online. (Already have the Millinium Edition & the colorized on DVD, PLUS the 25th Aniversary Edition & the *shudder* 30th on VHS)

Anyhoo, since I've heard that his is the best version availible on DVD I picked it up. Also got "Slither" for $4 as well, so not a bad score overall. :)

musta missed that as well...lil worried though, bought NOTLD 30th.....gave me the shits 4 a week! lol Is 40th any good or is it just another bitch circle between Russo & Streigner complaining that they should be as big as Romero? At the same time raping his masterpiece without @ least a good reach around? lol

Andy
13-Oct-2010, 10:04 PM

Nope it continues the story of the priest where NOTLD30th left off, after his release from the hospital at the end with his little dog "to protect us" and joins a cult, where he quickly rises through the ranks through a series of bloody battles with his rivals within the cult, eventually he comes out on top and commands his followers to attempt to take over the world. Here's a exclusive on-set photo.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/2321/237553-kanecc1_super.jpg

MoonSylver
13-Oct-2010, 10:21 PM
musta missed that as well...lil worried though, bought NOTLD 30th.....gave me the shits 4 a week! lol Is 40th any good or is it just another bitch circle between Russo & Streigner complaining that they should be as big as Romero? At the same time raping his masterpiece without @ least a good reach around? lol

Already addressed this one earlier DB:

Nope. This is the original version. The restore & remaster was overseen by GAR himself. No connection whatsoever to this or the 25th Anniversary edition, which was a right nifty little VHS set back in the day. Pity Russo & co. tacked the "30 th Anniversary" moniker onto their load of crap, as now there apparently is confusion. :(

Short answer : no it is the original. ;)

Nope it continues the story of the priest where NOTLD30th left off, after his release from the hospital at the end with his little dog "to protect us" and joins a cult, where he quickly rises through the ranks through a series of bloody battles with his rivals within the cult, eventually he comes out on top and commands his followers to attempt to take over the world. Here's a exclusive on-set photo.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/2321/237553-kanecc1_super.jpg

Quit spreading your vicious lies or I'll strap you to a chair, pry your eyelids open w/ toothpicks, & make you watch "Land" 24 hours straight. :fin: :lol:

DEAD BEAT
13-Oct-2010, 10:30 PM
Already addressed this one earlier DB:

Short answer : no it is the original. ;)

Quit spreading your vicious lies or I'll strap you to a chair, pry your eyelids open w/ toothpicks, & make you watch "Land" 24 hours straight. :fin: :lol:

was about to say that pic looks like a WWE prematch interview! lmao

MoonSylver
01-Nov-2010, 12:33 AM
Realized I never did report back on this one. The picture is sharp, clear & detailed, as pristine as I think I've ever seen. On my 42" LCD it's as pretty a thing thing to see. :)

One a side note, my Wal-Mart sold through on this one probably 2 weeks ago, while the other titles languished on the shelves. I think this was the only one that sold out. Made me feel good, it did. :D

DEAD BEAT
01-Nov-2010, 03:32 PM

I never saw it either dude! Is it any good?

darth los
01-Nov-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up, but page me when the blu ray comes out.

It's an absolute crime that this film doesn't have one. :(

The remake needs one as well but this is an all time classic. Very puzzling indeed.

:cool:

MoonSylver
01-Nov-2010, 10:50 PM
I never saw it either dude! Is it any good?

Eh..it's cheesy, funny, & over the top. If you've ever seen "Night of the Creeps" & liked it, then you would probably like this.

Thanks for the heads up, but page me when the blu ray comes out.

It's an absolute crime that this film doesn't have one. :(

The remake needs one as well but this is an all time classic. Very puzzling indeed.

:cool:

I heard there was a Blu-Ray of NOTLD out? Also heard that it looked like crap & that the DVD is probably the best the pic is ever going to get considering age, what it was shot on, etc.

Now the remake, yeah, that is a tragically under appreciated movie. I'd love to see a deluxe 2 disc something-or-another of it, but they seem totally disinterested in it, PERIOD. :(

ProfessorChaos
01-Nov-2010, 11:14 PM
well, moon, prior to last night, i would have agreed about the lack of a great re-release of night90, but with TWD and WWZ around the corner, something tells me they might just be looking to cash in a bit and put out a blu-ray and maybe a better dvd release.

DubiousComforts
01-Nov-2010, 11:46 PM
I heard there was a Blu-Ray of NOTLD out? Also heard that it looked like crap & that the DVD is probably the best the pic is ever going to get considering age, what it was shot on, etc.(

There are several blu-ray releases but the only legit version is the Region B from Optimum, which is essentially the 40th anniversary restoration. The U.S. DVD currently on sale at Wal-Mart was discussed here (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?10709-NIGHT-40Th-Anniversary-DVD-Review&highlight=40th). It's a verified bargain at $7.50, so pick it up if you can find it.

The problem with a U.S. blu-ray is the Weinstein Company owns the home video rights to NOTLD for 8 more years. With the company in financial trouble, a NOTLD blu-ray is not very high on their list of priorities.

Enter the bootleggers.

MoonSylver
08-Dec-2010, 12:47 AM
Been meaning to post this for a few weeks, but Walmart now has NOTLD 40th + Diary for $9. Great price for EITHER movie by itself, so even if you have one or the other, it's still a good deal, & for both it's steal.

(Though unfortunately they have them double packaged as a 2-disc set thingie instead of individually, but *meh*. Also, no snide comments in regards to Diary por favor. Not interested in hearing them, & if you want to be snarky, there are plenty of other threads around for that sort of thing. :) )

bassman
08-Dec-2010, 12:58 AM
AH DAMN!

I JUST got home from Wal Mart and yet again totally forgot about this. :mad: