PDA

View Full Version : Banksy's surprisingly dark opening for the simpsons.

Danny
11-Oct-2010, 07:08 AM
So for the latest episode of the simpsons bankys did the opening, have a ganders, shit gets real by the end.

DX1iplQQJTo

and heres a different one from last season for bonus:

U0Bx2phCINw

Honestly they must have got some new writers last season because whilst the last season of american dad, family guy and south park were some of there worst the last season of the simpsons was good, laugh out loud good which hasnt been the case fro me since the mid 90's. i'd recommend checking them out again if you stopped, since they got the movie out they seem bit going a bit more out there in there storys and adult content and its actually funny again.

bassman
11-Oct-2010, 12:19 PM
This is the first I've heard of this Banksy fellow. Had to do a quick google on him. Strange they hired a graffiti artist to make a new opening. Is this something they've been doing regularly with the new season?

AcesandEights
11-Oct-2010, 02:02 PM
I'll agree, that is damned dark. I'd heard of this banksys at some point a while ago and forgotten all about him.

blind2d
11-Oct-2010, 04:54 PM
I love Banksy!!! One of the best current underground artists out there now. Love him. He's got a new movie out, called Exit Through The Gift Shop. Dude is real, man. This was an amazing opening, as well.
2D: Banksy? Oh yeah, I remember him! He was sort of a hero for me a few years ago... King of graffiti. Ah! The Whale's back!

ProfessorChaos
11-Oct-2010, 09:47 PM
i can't even tell you the last time i sat down and watched the simpsons, probably because i couldn't tell you the last time i laughed when i was actually watching the show.

and that tick-tock opening seems so desperate and out of place for the simpsons, like they're still trying to remain relevant. to me though, the simpsons has went on well past its prime....kind of how south park is getting.:|

blind2d
12-Oct-2010, 04:08 AM
I thought South Park was past it's prime after the WoW episode...

MinionZombie
12-Oct-2010, 09:21 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... so that explains that fucked up opening sequence. I was wondering what was going on, but didn't make the connected between the billboard with "Banksy" spray painted on it, and that royally dark 'couch gag' ... I thought the two things were totally separate, but I was like "what the fuck kind of opening is that ... how did they even get away with that?!"

Although isn't The Simpson's all done on computer now, so there's no cell painting anymore ... still though, plenty of cheap merchandise and dvds to produce. :sneaky:

I thought the last season of American Dad was quite good actually, it was the best of the three animated shows. Family Guy was up and down - some excellent episodes, but an equal number of utter stinkers and bore-fests. The Simpson's is likewise very up-and-down. Sometimes it can be a real sharp episode with some biting satire in there, or just a ruddy good story told well with some great gags ... but then at the same time there are some really dull episodes.

I think American Dad is the most interesting of all the shows ... for example the newest one with Steve getting cloned. Last season had quite a lot of good episodes, like the one where Steve goes all 'Nam flashback' at a re-enactment thing on a golf course, and that John Carpenter-esque episode about the end of the world - those were two superb episodes. Sometimes they're a bit shit, but I think AD is the best of the four animated shows that Fox pimp out on Sunday nights.

The Cleveland Show is decidedly unfunny 99% of the time. Occasionally they can make a good episode, or put a good gag in here or there, but goddamn it's just dull most of the time. Family Guy is a real mixed bag - it can be properly funny, or eye-rollingly blunt about politics, or just dreadfully unfunny. The Simpson's is a mixed bag also - sometimes they can put out a real corker, but generally they come out "meh", and sometimes they're just utterly rubbish. American Dad is the only one of the four - for me - that is more likely to hit than miss ... but like all these shows, it can miss ... and when it does, it's a stinker.

If only they didn't crank out 22 episodes per season. If they did a limited season of say 13 episodes then I'm sure they'd be able to really ramp up the quality-to-crap ratio in a positive direction.

Speaking of all these animated shows - we now have Futurama back in our lives. There have been a couple of dud episodes, but most of them have at least been consistently entertaining, if not properly witty - and what's more, very intelligent in how it takes a scientific or mathematical or whatever theory and runs with it to make a real mind-bender of an episode. The four movies they did were diminishing returns. The first was brilliant, the second was pretty good, the third was mostly unfunny, and the fourth was really quite naff ... plus the 'hammer you over the head' approach to anything to do with the environment just comes off as preachy and, at worst, fascistic. Thankfully though Futurama is a consistent deliverer of quality funnies, with only the odd stinker here and there.

Danny
12-Oct-2010, 11:16 AM
My problem with the last season of american dad was how there "remember the time when" thing is stan going "wait, thats it!" then he goes to francine and explains he understands what he was doing wrong that episode and they repeat this ad neasium. Though im pretty sick of Seth Macfarlanes shows to behonest.

Futurama on the other hand is a much more welcome show to have back and compared to the last season of south park, family guy or american dad it was the funniest hands down.

slickwilly13
12-Oct-2010, 02:35 PM
God, Ke$ha sucks. Why Simpsons??? Why????

MinionZombie
12-Oct-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah, the "I've learned not to be a useless husband" thing is really, really, really TIRING. Not only does Peter do it, but Stan does it and ruddy Cleveland ... and that's on top of years and years of Homer doing it. Hell, a few seasons ago they did, in the first three episodes of the season, TWO whole episodes about Homer being an utterly useless husband.

Goddamn, it's such a tiring element to all those shows, and you seriously wonder "why do these chicks stick with these freaks?", because with them fucking up that much and being that stupid and fat and lazy and annoying and insane the whole "oh but I love him anyway" angle becomes so stretched thin it doesn't exist anymore.

South Park has been getting quite bumpy in recent times too. There have been some great episodes in recent times (like the Facebook episode), but there's also been some utter woofters (several spring to mind) ... so it really is all up in the air. Then you have episodes of SP that are half-and-half ... they're not great but not shit, and while they don't entertain or make you laugh all the way through there are really funny parts to the episodes ... like the most recent one about Nascar ... it's not that great at all, but Cartman and Butters doing that weird lower-lip redneck thing when they talk and just acting really stupid was rather funny.

I do hope the quality bucks up in general though, I really do.

BillyRay
12-Oct-2010, 05:12 PM
Yeah, the "I've learned not to be a useless husband" thing is really, really, really TIRING.

That ain't just cartoons, Min; that's most "family" sitcoms on TV right now.

The father/husband is an insensitive, brain-dead doofus who wouldn't be able to tie his own shoes without his shrill, emasculating, yet too-hot-for-him wife telling him what to do.

But he always learns his lesson from her about being "sensitive and attentive" by the end of each episode.

(at least until the next week.)

As a man, I'm insulted. Seriously.

Danny
12-Oct-2010, 05:21 PM
That ain't just cartoons, Min; that's most "family" sitcoms on TV right now.

The father/husband is an insensitive, brain-dead doofus who wouldn't be able to tie his own shoes without his shrill, emasculating, yet too-hot-for-him wife telling him what to do.

But he always learns his lesson from her about being "sensitive and attentive" by the end of each episode.

(at least until the next week.)

As a man, I'm insulted. Seriously.

its a shame really, feminism aimed at equality in the media when its biggest effect seems to be role reversal instead. which isn't any progression at all, its just more of the same. like thats a difference in media.

AcesandEights
12-Oct-2010, 07:11 PM
its a shame really, feminism aimed at equality in the media when its biggest effect seems to be role reversal instead. which isn't any progression at all, its just more of the same. like thats a difference in media.
http://wiki.urbandead.com/images/a/a0/No_maam.jpg

Ah, the swing of the pendulum...