PDA

View Full Version : So I was a real man this morning!

Neil
11-Oct-2010, 12:52 PM
The upstair's sink was blocked this morning... Nothing would shift it, and in the end there was just a sink full to the brim with water.

Of course I didn't have any unblocking tools, so wandering around the house, I picked some real man tools:-
- Roll of clingfilm.
- Small piece of cardboard.
- Empty large drink bottle.

I wrapped the clingfilm around the bit of cardboard. I wrapped a good sheet of clingfilm around the neck of the drinks bottle (like a 1inch thick blob).

I then, held the carboard over the overflow (to make it airtight), shoved the water bottle into the plug hole, where the clingfilm sealed it to the hole itself, and then simply squeezed the bottle firmly, jetting water around the u-bend...

Voila! Sorted!

I got a strange primieval rush! "Man Fix!"

DjfunkmasterG
11-Oct-2010, 01:23 PM
Post a picture of your solution... I wanna see this contraption. Maybe it will fix my blocked up sink in my second bathrooom.

Eyebiter
11-Oct-2010, 01:32 PM
No plunger and a bottle of bleach close at hand?

Neil
11-Oct-2010, 01:38 PM
Post a picture of your solution... I wanna see this contraption. Maybe it will fix my blocked up sink in my second bathrooom.

You'd be better off with a proper plunger, with the overflow covered! That's all I was basically doing! Just forcing water down (& up) the plug hole with no where for it to go other than around the u-bend!

Without the overflow covered, the pressure would come out there, instead of going around the u-bend.

Also, once done, leave some bleach in the u-bend for a few hours maybe!

Wow! I'm actually sprouting more hairs on my chest speaking about this manly stuff!

Trancelikestate
12-Oct-2010, 03:39 AM
Ever use your palm as a plunger? :p

MoonSylver
12-Oct-2010, 06:18 AM
SCkxYhyycnk?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SCkxYhyycnk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

"Look out! Behind you!"

"There! By the old car!"

"Hit the gas tank!"

*BOOM!*

:lol:

Neil
12-Oct-2010, 10:10 AM
Ever use your palm as a plunger? :p

Yep! Wasn't working! Hence build something time!

slickwilly13
12-Oct-2010, 02:30 PM
Cling film? *L* That is almost as funny as when my girl called foil, shiny silver paper.

Neil
12-Oct-2010, 03:45 PM
Cling film? *L* That is almost as funny as when my girl called foil, shiny silver paper.

What do you guys call it then?

AcesandEights
12-Oct-2010, 04:03 PM
What do you guys call it then?

Not sure about regional variations, but we call it plastic wrap, around my parts, or sometimes by a brand name (i.e. Glad wrap). I think I've even heard it called cling wrap, as well.

I actually think cling film works well enough, though I think cling wrap edges both cling film and plastic wrap out for specificity.

bassman
12-Oct-2010, 04:20 PM
I've always heard it called Seran wrap. Although that may be a brand name. Kind of like all foam boxes, cups, etc are called styrofoam around here, even though that's actually a brand name...

AcesandEights
12-Oct-2010, 04:33 PM
I've always heard it called Seran wrap. Although that may be a brand name. Kind of like all foam boxes, cups, etc are called styrofoam around here, even though that's actually a brand name...

Yeah, saran wrap I include as a trade name, since I think it's trademarked. It is also very common up here. Shit, I use the term sometimes myself.

MoonSylver
12-Oct-2010, 10:59 PM
Yep! Wasn't working! Hence build something time!

This guy called:

http://chrisstubbs.com/Macgyver.jpg

He's really proud of you. He said you win this coveted award:

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/macgyver.jpg

:lol: :nana:

acealive1
13-Oct-2010, 12:02 AM
i had a similar problem when i moved into an apartment once. i'd come in the bathroom and water would be still in the sink and would rush back into the drain when i walked in. did it a few times and the last thing i needed was for it to happen while i was at work. so i threw some liquid plumber in there.........none of that shit since.

LouCipherr
13-Oct-2010, 12:38 AM
Neil, I gotta admit, that was an ingenious way to fix the problem!

It's always a cool feeling when something goes wrong, you improvise, and it turns out it works perfectly. "Man fix!" indeed. :thumbsup: :D

MikePizzoff
13-Oct-2010, 07:23 AM
Doing "man things" feels great once in a while. IE: A couple buddies and I built the bar in our basement from scratch, instead of just buying or trash-picking one.

Publius
13-Oct-2010, 10:18 AM
Pretty nice job, even without duct tape!