PDA

View Full Version : night of the living dead books

dracenstein
11-Oct-2010, 10:20 PM
We all probably know of John Russo's novelisation of Night of the Living Dead (and his sequel, Return of the Living Dead), I read them both a long time and no longer have either.

I was looking on Amazon.uk and found NotLD novelisation by Christopher Andrews!

John Russo has already done the novelisation! How can somebody else write a novelisation of it?

I know there was no copyright on the film, but does that mean anybody, everybody can write a novelisation on it?

Also there, I found NotLD graphic novel by John Russo with artists Sebastian Fiamara and Edison George, a prequel to the film introducing the Cemetery Zombie, Sheriff McClellan and Ben, showing what happened at Beekman's Diner. Also Russo has apparently explained why the dead were rising - a strange mist!

Apologies if everybody knows about all this.

MoonSylver
11-Oct-2010, 10:43 PM
News to me. There was already a 4 issue comic from Fantaco that had a small prologue & epilogue issues too, but Russo wasn't involved with those. Thank goodness, 'cause they were quite good! :lol:

slickwilly13
24-Oct-2010, 05:56 AM
Do not forget NotLD: London part 1 & 2.

Wyldwraith
25-Oct-2010, 07:31 AM
Are you talking about the book Undead? Saw it on Amazon, and it purports to be a Romero-approved/involved novelizing of the movie, while delving more fully into the characters and the events surrounding them. Amazon says you can get a used copy starting at like 2.99-3.25$. Is that the book you're talking about?

dracenstein
28-Oct-2010, 06:21 PM
Undead by John Russo? As far as I can see on Amazon UK, it's his two books of his I mentioned put in one.

The one I meant was http://www.amazon.com/Night-Living-Dead-John-Russo/dp/1592911064

DubiousComforts
28-Oct-2010, 10:10 PM
UNDEAD (http://www.amazon.com/Undead-John-Russo/dp/0758258739/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1288303498&sr=8-2) is a new compilation of Russo's novelizations for both Night of the Living Dead and the original Return of the Living Dead (his original story, not the O'Bannon film). At least, this is what Russo said it contains--the Amazon listing is very vague in regards to content.

Wyldwraith
29-Oct-2010, 01:08 AM
Gotcha,
Was just going by the Amazon description of the book. I read Amazon book lists looking for new zombie book titles for various reasons, and noticed Undead one day.

Suicycho
31-Oct-2010, 03:46 AM
The movie is in the public domain which means that anyone, anywhere is free to reproduce it in any form, including derivative works.

DubiousComforts
01-Nov-2010, 11:17 PM
The movie is in the public domain which means that anyone, anywhere is free to reproduce it in any form, including derivative works.

No, it does not.

CooperWasRight
25-Nov-2010, 02:50 PM
Abit off topic but I have asked around and it seems no one seems to have any inof on this...But when Romero 1st launched his official site he was selling or preselling a serialized novel he was supposed to be working on... Does anyone have any info on this?

krakenslayer
25-Nov-2010, 05:44 PM
Yes. It popped up again about a year or two ago. It is/was a novel called The Living Dead, which was essentially Romero's World War Z - the story of his zombie apocalypse told on a huge scale, from the first corpse sitting up on an autopsy table somewhere in San Diego, to the collapse of the government and beyond. The main character is a reporter, I believe:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/oct/01/george-a-romero-zombie-novel

Its funny that you should bring this up. I've been working in a bookshop for a few weeks, and we have access to a subscription service called Neilsen BookData (http://www.nielsenbookdata.co.uk/controller.php?page=1). It has info on every book published since at least 1950 as well as info on upcoming books. I was bored a couple of days ago and ran a search on George A. Romero and it popped up with this book. Under release date, it said: "Delayed, Release Date Unknown". Interestingly, it did not say "cancelled" - which is a much more common attribute than "delayed", even for books that later do end up getting re-released or have been released in other territories. "Delayed" suggests that he's still working on it.

dracenstein
25-Nov-2010, 06:55 PM
According to the George Romero page on Wikipedia, the book is scheduled for July, 2012.

sandrock74
26-Nov-2010, 04:32 PM
According to the George Romero page on Wikipedia, the book is scheduled for July, 2012.

Wikipedia.....take that with a grain of salt!