PDA

View Full Version : Romero endorses "NOTLD" comic series.

bassman
14-Jun-2006, 01:42 PM
From Arrow in the Head (http://http://joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=4454):

A company called "Avatar Press" will be releasing a comic book series based on "Night of the Living Dead". George Romero has signed a deal with the company and will be endorsing the project while John Russo is writting the stories.

Instead of being a comic adaptation of the original film, the comics will be more of a prequel to the film. Showing the origins of the characters as well as how each of them eventually make it to the farm house.

The comics will be available near the end of 2006.

As a preview or "trailer", if you will, a stand-alone comic will be released in August that will have interviews with Romero, Russo, and information on their collaborations.

DjfunkmasterG
14-Jun-2006, 04:19 PM
I would like to see a Night remake that shows all of this. Not a comic. I don't think night should be remade... again, but if it were to be remade I think they should focus on all of this stuff they are talking about.

I would have liked to have seen the beakmans diner scene. I would love to see it as Ben Described in Night 68 coupled with Ben's recollection of it from the 1990 remake. I think if done right that could be one of the most kick ass scenes ever in a film.

bassman
14-Jun-2006, 04:21 PM
I would have liked to have seen the beakmans diner scene. I would love to see it as Ben Described in Night 68 coupled with Ben's recollection of it from the 1990 remake. I think if done right that could be one of the most kick ass scenes ever in a film.

That's actually mentioned as one of the stories they are going to write into the comics.

My only gripe with this project is Russo. I don't think he should be able to touch it. Let Romero write the backstories...

Guru ofthe Dead
14-Jun-2006, 04:56 PM
That's actually mentioned as one of the stories they are going to write into the comics.

My only gripe with this project is Russo. I don't think he should be able to touch it. Let Romero write the backstories...
Agreed Russo will put in some gay punkers like in ROTLD and screw up the whole thing.

DjfunkmasterG
14-Jun-2006, 05:15 PM

I forgot to also say I don't want it in the comics. I want it on the big screen.

As far as Guru's comment about the Punkers... that isn't Russo. Dan O'Bannon wrote that into the screenplay. The Book Russo wrote and movie Return of the Living Dead have nothing in common whatsoever.

bassman
14-Jun-2006, 05:16 PM
Agreed Russo will put in some gay punkers like in ROTLD and screw up the whole thing.

Haha....exactly. The Zombies will be talking and screaming "Brains!":rolleyes:

general tbag
14-Jun-2006, 05:23 PM
I would like to see a Night remake that shows all of this. Not a comic. I don't think night should be remade... again, but if it were to be remade I think they should focus on all of this stuff they are talking about.

yea beakmans diner would of been awesome, i always thought the re2 diner scene was a tribute to that.

Doc Foster
14-Jun-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm a little indifferent to the whole concept of "NOTLD" comics in general, really, but whatever you do, PLEASE DON'T LET JOHN RUSSO COME ANYWHERE NEAR IT!!! Since the unbelievable travesty that was the "30th anniversary edition" of "Night", I've had it with this talentless, bitter, greedy idiot. If he wasn't too old already, he should pack burgers at McDonald's - probably the only job in this world to fit his abilities!! Oh yeah, and Russ Streiner could clean the trays... :mad:

Guru ofthe Dead
14-Jun-2006, 05:40 PM
I forgot to also say I don't want it in the comics. I want it on the big screen.

As far as Guru's comment about the Punkers... that isn't Russo. Dan O'Bannon wrote that into the screenplay. The Book Russo wrote and movie Return of the Living Dead have nothing in common whatsoever.
I understand that part just remember though he still allowed the movie to be made and let those guys change the story so in part I guess he is still responsible by association. Just giving you a hard time, don't take it personally.

jscott
14-Jun-2006, 07:11 PM
I understand that part just remember though he still allowed the movie to be made and let those guys change the story so in part I guess he is still responsible by association. Just giving you a hard time, don't take it personally.

Russo had no say so in the filming process whatsoever. He sold the title Return of the Living Dead, and the story, to Thomas Fox of Hemdale Films. Fox then decided to scrap Russo's story altogether, and came up with a new script, but retained the title to cash in on the "Living Dead" aspect.

Guru ofthe Dead
15-Jun-2006, 05:22 AM
Russo had no say so in the filming process whatsoever. He sold the title Return of the Living Dead, and the story, to Thomas Fox of Hemdale Films. Fox then decided to scrap Russo's story altogether, and came up with a new script, but retained the title to cash in on the "Living Dead" aspect.
Really!! I was not aware of that. I will have to watch again but I thought I saw his name in the credits as a producer. Maybe my mistake. Too bad he sold the original story.

jscott
15-Jun-2006, 12:11 PM
I think Russo, Russ Streiner, and Rudy Ricci got a "Based On A Story By"-credit in ROTLD.

Danny
16-Jun-2006, 11:57 AM
oh man before i clicked into this topic i was gonna write "for gods sake you better hope its not avatar press", and it is ,THEY SUCK!, all they care about is T and A and there escape of the living dead sucked steaming goat balls, it was so bad it was like the phantom menace level of bad.

bad avatar boo!:D

kingofmonsters2
20-Jun-2006, 03:17 AM
there already were night of the living dead comics put out a few years ago. and there was a story dealing with the farmhouse and who the woman is that ben finds dead on the stairs and how she died and what happened, at the end of the book it showed johnny and barberas car pulling into the cemetary. it was beautifully painted and well written, if i can find it again i will post a few pics of it here.

also there was a story dealing with barbera after she gets attacked by her brother and dragged outside, the begining of the story had promise and gave a halfway decent explanation as how she survived, but then it got into dealing with space aliens and governemt conspiracy crap. totally pathetic, and the artwork sucked ass.

EDIT: ok i found it, i have downloaded as a cbr, wich requires a specific file reader to be read. but here is a pic of the cover, i reread the story and its also show the coopers coming to the farmhouse as well as tommy and his girl.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/michaeljtennis/00.jpg

Danny
20-Jun-2006, 08:49 AM
i got just the file needed to view it, ill post a link in a bit.