PDA

View Full Version : toyota has thrown its hat into the zombie ring...

Mike70
21-Oct-2010, 05:37 PM
WIisIFvMiSQ

there is also a newer advert out there with a black couple in a corolla. i saw it last night on fear fest.

here's the ad poster:

http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/toyota.jpg

MoonSylver
21-Oct-2010, 05:49 PM
Mildly cute. Would've loved to see them blow a few more bucks & go all "Thriller" w/ the TV ad.

Zombies have definitely been continuing their slow shuffling march into popular consciousness. I'd love to do some deep analysis on why the zombie seems to be resonating MORE with the public now that ever? What is it that they represent in the public's fears & subconscious? Unfortunately, I'm stoned on percocet right now & can't seem to think of anything...:lol:

Mike70
21-Oct-2010, 05:54 PM
Zombies have definitely been continuing their slow shuffling march into popular consciousness. I'd love to do some deep analysis on why the zombie seems to be resonating MORE with the public now that ever? What is it that they represent in the public's fears & subconscious? Unfortunately, I'm stoned on percocet right now & can't seem to think of anything...:lol:

i don't think it goes that deep. i think it boils down to nothing more than zombies being one of the "it" things right now. it is very cool to throw the undead into commercials. 5 years from now, who knows, it might be the morlocks or the creature from the black lagoon.

MoonSylver
21-Oct-2010, 06:05 PM
i don't think it goes that deep. i think it boils down to nothing more than zombies being one of the "it" things right now. it is very cool to throw the undead into commercials. 5 years from now, who knows, it might be the morlocks or the creature from the black lagoon.

Yeah, but usually when something becomes the "it" thing there's a reason (at least in my arm chair psychiatrist mind! :lol: ). Like vampires. You don't have to look really deep to see the wish fulfillment fantasy going on in the portrayal of vampires now. I'm always curious on what the popular trends in horror say about culture & society at that time. In the past, zombies could be seen as a metaphor for a few different cultural anxieties, everything from loss of identity & fear of conformity (being made into "one of them') to the fear of society at large (the "faceless masses"), to fear of death & the afterlife.

But I wonder do those same fears hold true now or is there some other reason the zombie seems to be "clicking" with the public?

Or I may be just talking out of my ass highbrow style & giving you guys nothing but a mouthful of Greek salad. :lol

Mike70
21-Oct-2010, 06:10 PM
Yeah, but usually when something becomes the "it" thing there's a reason (at least in my arm chair psychiatrist mind! :lol: ). Like vampires. You don't have to look really deep to see the wish fulfillment fantasy going on in the portrayal of vampires now. I'm always curious on what the popular trends in horror say about culture & society at that time. In the past, zombies could be seen as a metaphor for a few different cultural anxieties, everything from loss of identity & fear of conformity (being made into "one of them') to the fear of society at large (the "faceless masses"), to fear of death & the afterlife.

But I wonder do those same fears hold true now or is there some other reason the zombie seems to be "clicking" with the public?

Or I may be just talking out of my ass highbrow style & giving you guys nothing but a mouthful of Greek salad. :lol

i can see that with vampires because there are a lot of folks out there that want to identify with them.

but i have hard time with anyone identifying with the undead and saying "damn, i wanna be just like that."

though, i do think that a lot of people harbor end of the world fantasies. wouldn't it be great to not have to do x, y or z. being able to live free and totally in the moment. and there are a lot of folks out there that harbor the "i'd love to fight a desperate battle against incredible odds" fantasy.

maybe it is all of those things, maybe none of them.

AcesandEights
21-Oct-2010, 06:12 PM
Commercial was pretty well done. Comedic to watch with no volume, though.

Amd Moon, do a couple seraches, there's been a ton of articles about how zombies have represented this and that and why they were a big deal during the late stages of the cold war, dwindled and have come back in this day and 'age of uncertainty.' Blah, blah, blah, I know. It's not for everybody, but I like the well thought out theories that go into detail.

ProfessorChaos
21-Oct-2010, 06:22 PM
careful, you guys are gonna lure that troll known as redge out from under his bridge to begin harping about "elites"....

oh, and great commercial, btw.

MoonSylver
21-Oct-2010, 08:04 PM
i can see that with vampires because there are a lot of folks out there that want to identify with them.
but i have hard time with anyone identifying with the undead and saying "damn, i wanna be just like that."

I was just using the vampires as an example of how one can draw a corrilary between a thing that is popular, & what the subtexual reason was. No, I don't see zombies in a "wish fufillmet" role (exept as you state below...)

though, i do think that a lot of people harbor end of the world fantasies. wouldn't it be great to not have to do x, y or z. being able to live free and totally in the moment. and there are a lot of folks out there that harbor the "i'd love to fight a desperate battle against incredible odds" fantasy.

Yeah, that definatly is an appeal to a certain segement of the population. How much so I can't say, but I don't even know if that would be a majority, just a segment is my gut feeling.

Commercial was pretty well done. Comedic to watch with no volume, though.

Amd Moon, do a couple seraches, there's been a ton of articles about how zombies have represented this and that and why they were a big deal during the late stages of the cold war, dwindled and have come back in this day and 'age of uncertainty.' Blah, blah, blah, I know. It's not for everybody, but I like the well thought out theories that go into detail.

Yeah, I'm aware of some of the different articles out there in the past, especially surrounding NOTLD & as you point out the cold war era. And I found them interesting, because I could see the metaphor & allegory present (even if it wasn't intended, but could be read as such). I haven't devoted really any thought to it in terms of TODAY (until this thread...) but I'm having trouble seeing what (if any) connection there is between TODAY'S society, what's going on in pop culture, & what it means in why the zombie has become "even hotter" in recent times.

careful, you guys are gonna lure that troll known as redge out from under his bridge to begin harping about "elites"....

Yeah, I thought about him earlier. Don't mean to get too far up my awn ass about this, it's just a subject that interests me & this thread brought it too mind. Didn't mean to thread jack Mike. I better stop before I end up like this:

http://silentespeaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/head-up-ass.jpg

blind2d
22-Oct-2010, 01:26 AM
Wheeeeeeeeee!!!! Love that spot! Props to whoever allowed it to be made!

acealive1
22-Oct-2010, 02:06 AM
i love the aliens theme song playing!!!

MoonSylver
22-Oct-2010, 02:21 AM
i love the aliens theme song playing!!!

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. The theme from Aliens has got to be one of the hardest working soundtracks in showbiz! (w/ Bram Stoker's Dracula being a close second)

AcesandEights
22-Oct-2010, 03:41 PM
Bram Stoker's Dracula being a close second

Dunnaduh-dun-dun-dun
Dunnaduh-dun-dun-dun
Doooo-doo-doo-do-doo-doo-doo-dooooooo...

Love that soundtrack.

MoonSylver
22-Oct-2010, 03:58 PM
Dunnaduh-dun-dun-dun
Dunnaduh-dun-dun-dun
Doooo-doo-doo-do-doo-doo-doo-dooooooo...

Love that soundtrack.

:thumbsup: You n' me both. That one & Conan the Barbarian might be my 2 favorite soundtracks (out side of stuff like Star Wars, Raiders, etc, & TBH I might even like them better!)

bassman
22-Oct-2010, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. The theme from Aliens has got to be one of the hardest working soundtracks in showbiz! (w/ Bram Stoker's Dracula being a close second)

Funny considering James Horner wrote it in one night. He had to really rush that cue and now it's often used for trailers, commercials, etc. Great theme, though.

BillyRay
22-Oct-2010, 05:49 PM
Sears ("Where America Used to Shop") has gotten on the bandwagon, too:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/dap_10153_12605_DAP_Zombie?origin=zeta

Pretty clever, really...

blind2d
22-Oct-2010, 05:56 PM
The elevator video looks really similar to the one in Dawn! Love it!
Too bad it isn't Penney's, though... oh well, close enough! This has made my day!

acealive1
22-Oct-2010, 08:04 PM
Sears ("Where America Used to Shop") has gotten on the bandwagon, too:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/dap_10153_12605_DAP_Zombie?origin=zeta

Pretty clever, really...

the slo mo shot reminded me of day and the tape recorder scene