PDA

View Full Version : Almost lost my daughter this month.

Kaos
29-Oct-2010, 03:50 AM
Over the summer she started to get taller and in that period she also got slim. Then she started to look sick so we took her to the doctor. The doctor did a quick test and determined she had strep and left it at that. She went on antibiotics and that was that...until she started to hyperventilate.

We called an ambulance and took her to the hospital. They do a blood test and find she has Type 1 diabetes. Her blood glucose levels were sky high, she had lethal ketoacidosis, and was dehydrated. She was in such dire straits that for the first 18 hours they did not know if she would live or not.

I tell you, that was the longest 18 hours of my life, and I wouldn't wish that on any parent. She was in the pediatric ICU for 4 days, but came through.

Type 1 diabetes isn't caused by the food one eats (like type 2). It is an autoimmune disease where her immune system gets confused and attacks the cells that create insulin. Since she isn't producing insulin she must take insulin. We have no family history that would indicate this is genetic. It just happens and no one can pin it down for certain the factors that lead to the disease.

She has been exceedingly brave, and accustomed to the regular glucose testing and insulin shots she must now live with. It isn't fair that this happened to her, but she doesn't feel sorry for herself... not that I would allow her to wallow in self-pity. The burden for her and us is small compared to so many others.

She is, however, one tough 10 year old kid and we are so very proud of her.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_1GTG2rVr1g0/TIQgcVEzf2I/AAAAAAAAAVc/IRj8w1MHip0/TaraNewDooSm.JPG

Mr. Clean
29-Oct-2010, 04:01 AM
Glad everything is ok

That's is a big burden to take on...even more so for a child. I can't imagine doing so.

Mike70
29-Oct-2010, 04:27 AM
ron, i'm glad that she has recovered and is now getting the care she needs. she sounds like a trooper. if i remember correctly, she's a pretty bad ass fencer and a rather tough kid.

i'll be thinking of you guys.

MoonSylver
29-Oct-2010, 05:41 AM
Damn dude, that's hard. My oldest just turned 11, & I can't imagine suddenly being in that situation. I'm very sorry to hear that she's stuck with such a burden at such a young age, but glad at least it was caught it time & that she'd doing better now.

Seems like a lot of my fellow HPotD homies are having a pretty rough year. :(

Danny
29-Oct-2010, 07:00 AM
Bloody hell, how do they diagnose stuff in the states? round here you need a blood test for anything thats not the common cold, hell i needed one when i had a bad case of anxiety. sending your kid away saying its strep sounds like bad doctoring to me. Maybe thats just 'how its done' in america but still thats sketchy. Still, good thing you caught the proper problem in time man, type 1 sucks but at least you know what it is and how to treat it now.

Publius
29-Oct-2010, 09:46 AM
Wow, thank she came through okay! It does sound like you have every reason to be proud of her.

DjfunkmasterG
29-Oct-2010, 09:51 AM
Glad she is ok... I know losing my mom was hard I can't even imagine losing a child.

MinionZombie
29-Oct-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm glad she's doing good again, Kaos. I can't imagine what those 18 hours must have been like! :eek:

Thankfully it worked out in the end, even with the having to take shots for insulin thing, but it's good she's taking it in her stride too. Sounds like she's got a strong character.

shootemindehead
29-Oct-2010, 10:12 AM
Rough times!

Glad to hear all is well though.

bassman
29-Oct-2010, 11:58 AM
Man....I bet those were the longest hours of your life. Glad to hear everything is working out and I wish you guys the best. Especially now that she's a zombie fan in the making. :)

LouCipherr
29-Oct-2010, 12:44 PM
Wow man, glad to hear she's doing ok. I have a 14 year old myself, so I know that panic feeling all too well when they get sick.

I always thought diabetes was hereditary (or at least "mostly" hereditary) - I guess that's not the case, eh? :(

Either way, glad things are ok.

Kaos
29-Oct-2010, 02:03 PM
90% of Type 1 Diabetics have no family history of the disease. Type 2 which is a metabolic problem instead of an insulin production problem is strongly correlated with family history.

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Especially now that she's a zombie fan in the making. :)

She is being allowed to stay up and watch Walking Dead on AMC this Sunday. I'll let her sleep in a bit then take her to school on Monday.

BTW - We attended a Fathom Events live simulcast of Rifftrax (the guys from MST3K) goofing on The House on Haunted Hill (Vincent Price). It was downright awesome.

MikePizzoff
29-Oct-2010, 02:07 PM
Glad everything turned out okay. It's sad how often children die from being improperly diagnosed.

bassman
29-Oct-2010, 02:17 PM
She is being allowed to stay up and watch Walking Dead on AMC this Sunday. I'll let her sleep in a bit then take her to school on Monday.

Awesome. I bet she's excited about that. Hope you guys enjoy it. I did. And still look forward to watching it Sunday.

BTW - We attended a Fathom Events live simulcast of Rifftrax (the guys from MST3K) goofing on The House on Haunted Hill (Vincent Price). It was downright awesome.

I've been wanting to see one of those. They've done the live events a few times now, I believe. Their downloads for films are hilarious. Doesn't quite have the same spark as the legendary MST3K, but it's pretty close and a blast to listen to.

I keep hoping that maybe they'll bring MST3K back now that it seems to have an even bigger following years after being off the air...

AcesandEights
29-Oct-2010, 02:22 PM
First off, Kaos, I'm happy things have worked out and you're all now working with a proper diagnosis.

90% of Type 1 Diabetics have no family history of the disease. Type 2 which is a metabolic problem instead of an insulin production problem is strongly correlated with family history.

My niece, who is a similar age, was diagnosed with type I a few years ago. A (relatively) normal, active, sports-oriented, on-the-go kid and she got it--it just happens. Then she was diagnosed with Coeliac (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease), so her food choices are very limited (no gluten, as well).

That said, she has adjusted pretty well to it all. She has an insulin pump and the last two Summers has gone to diabetes camp, which sounds weird, but she has enjoyed it; she's become quite independent and responsible about the condition.

Best wishes to your daughter, the best thing you can do is get as much information as possible and study up.

blind2d
29-Oct-2010, 02:40 PM
Wow, that sounds like an experience... glad it all worked out in the end. What else can I say? Good luck in the future, and well done on being such a caring and responsible parent.

SymphonicX
29-Oct-2010, 03:16 PM
I cannot for a second fathom the weight that you must have felt on your shoulders during that time. Being without kids I can only pretend to empathise with what you went through - that aside I'm without a single doubt that it was one of the hardest things that a human being can go through.

She's a pretty little sausage though, and sounds like she's doing really well so I'm happy for you and your family! sounds like you've raised a good kid there, nice one.

Wyldwraith
29-Oct-2010, 03:28 PM
Kaos,
You don't know me, and as a non-parent I don't have the drives that would allow me to put myself in your place, but nevertheless I feel for you, your daughter and the rest of your family. I too am relieved your girl came through the initial crisis ok, and can only imagine what a relief that is to you and your wife/significant other. I'm very glad to hear she's adjusting well and not allowing this turn of events to keep her down, and I will say some prayers that things continue to improve for you and yours, and in the meantime I offer you and yours my best wishes.

Sounds like you have matters well in hand, but I know from observing my own mother when my brother or myself became seriously ill/injured that it will take some time for the effects of the nasty emotional shock you received, and that 18 hours of worrying yourself sick to fade completely. You sound like an excellent father, and I get the sense that your daughter is as lucky to have you as you are to have her. :)

Best wishes,
Wyldwraith/Shawn

darth los
29-Oct-2010, 03:35 PM
Jesus christ man, I'm sorry. That had to be the scare of your life. Couldn't imagine losing one of mine.

God bless you guys.

:cool:

Kaos
29-Oct-2010, 09:04 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. She had her Halloween party in school today, and everything went smoothly.

strayrider
01-Nov-2010, 05:18 AM
She's a pretty little sausage though...

I've always said that she must get her good looks from her mother. Having seen Ron's pic awhile back, I'll stick to my guns with that. :D

Ron I remember when this young'un was born. You must have emailed her pic to all of us over at Cellar Chat. "just a little lump of sugar" I believe is the description that you used.

Have a couple of my own (step-kids, but they are mine) I can fully understand it being the "longest 18 of your life". I think if anything ever happened to one of mine, I'd simply wither up and die.

I'm happy that all is currently well.

:)

-stray-

Trencher
01-Nov-2010, 08:16 AM
Great that it worked out!

DubiousComforts
02-Nov-2010, 02:21 AM
Holy cow, that is shocking, terrible news. Glad to hear the worst seems to be over and your family had a a nice Halloween weekend. Hang in there!

clanglee
02-Nov-2010, 02:43 AM
Wow. . .sorry I missed this thread for so long. Let me throw my well wishes into the hat as well. I am very happy to hear that she is coming through well. A close call, but what is important that everything worked out ok. I could only imagine if I had to go through something like that with my daughter. . .you have a father's sympathies.

Debbieangel
04-Nov-2010, 01:37 AM
I am glad your daughter is doing better and has accepted having diabetes.
My hubby has type 2 and he has a hard time staying on a good diet.
My thoughts and prayers are with your family.