View Full Version : HH Holmes (film) - Leonardo DiCaprio to play serial killer

Neil
02-Nov-2010, 11:15 AM
Never even heard of this serial killer, but it sounds an amazing tale!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._H._Holmes

bassman
02-Nov-2010, 12:12 PM
hrm....this does sound interesting. I'm a sucker for reality-based crime and killer tales.

Now to sit back and wait for the "Dicaprio is a pretty boy" crowd...

ProfessorChaos
02-Nov-2010, 12:29 PM
talk about fast, they already released a poster for the film, too:

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/070/612/original/leo.jpg?1283869722

Neil
02-Nov-2010, 12:41 PM
hrm....this does sound interesting. I'm a sucker for reality-based crime and killer tales.

That wiki article is an amazing read:-

...while the upper two floors contained his personal office and a maze of over one hundred windowless rooms with doorways opening to brick walls, oddly angled hallways, stairways to nowhere, doors openable only from the outside, and a host of other strange and labyrinthine constructions. Holmes repeatedly changed builders during the construction of the Castle so only he fully understood the design of the house...

AcesandEights
02-Nov-2010, 02:44 PM
Bring it on, I say. I don't hate on talent.

Mike70
02-Nov-2010, 08:48 PM
Bring it on, I say. I don't hate on talent.

there are far worse out there than leo.

as for this movie:

sounds like a great idea. the true story of holmes is one of the most gruesome and sick tales ever to happen on this continent. what he did is almost beyond belief.

AcesandEights
02-Nov-2010, 09:02 PM
there are far worse out there than leo.

as for this movie:

sounds like a great idea. the true story of holmes is one of the most gruesome and sick tales ever to happen on this continent. what he did is almost beyond belief.

Mike, is he the serial killer who...

Used acid to dispose of the corpses of his victims?

I know one of the early 'modern' serial killers did this, but I don't know them by name, though this dude's name I have definitely made of note of before.

Mike70
03-Nov-2010, 12:13 AM
Mike, is he the serial killer who...

Used acid to dispose of the corpses of his victims?

I know one of the early 'modern' serial killers did this, but I don't know them by name, though this dude's name I have definitely made of note of before.

he used acid to dispose of some of them - the lucky ones, if such a term applies. others he stripped down to their skeletons, which were then sold to med schools.:eek:

he also turned an entire floor of his "hotel" into a killing maze complete with rooms that had poison gas traps, etc.

the wikipedia article covers the basics.

this dude was a really, really sick fuck.

there were a couple of creepy-as-all-hell serial killers back then. the Bender family ranks right up there with ol' HH.

Neil
04-Nov-2010, 09:53 PM
there were a couple of creepy-as-all-hell serial killers back then. the Bender family ranks right up there with ol' HH.
The Benders look like amateurs in comparison to Holmes surely?

Mike70
04-Nov-2010, 10:12 PM
The Benders look like amateurs in comparison to Holmes surely?

in terms of sheer depravity the benders don't measure up. in terms of sheer evil, they probably are close to equal.

both took people in as guests and then murdered them. somehow the idea of an entire family of psychopaths (who were never caught, by the way) creeps me out more than a guy working alone. in some ways it isn't surprising that the benders were never caught. 1870's western america would have been a might easy place to disappear in.

rongravy
04-Nov-2010, 10:13 PM

More like chubby-boy now. He looked a little heavy in Insheeption.

Neil
13-Nov-2010, 11:18 AM
somehow the idea of an entire family of psychopaths creeps me out more than a guy working alone.

Assume you're aware of Sawney Bean then? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawney_Bean

Neil
11-Aug-2015, 11:29 AM
Finally going ahead... And guess who's directing? Martin Scorsese :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33859840

DiCaprio is expected to play serial killer Dr HH Holmes, who used the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago to lure his victims to their deaths.

Holmes claimed to have killed 27 people - although some later estimates put his death toll at nearer 200.

It will be the sixth time DiCaprio has worked with Scorsese.

Their previous films include The Wolf of Wall Street, The Departed and Gangs of New York.

MinionZombie
13-Aug-2015, 09:09 AM
Going on their previous collaborations together, I'm sure this'll be a jolly good watch! Should be deliciously dark, too.

Neil
13-Aug-2015, 09:55 AM
Going on their previous collaborations together, I'm sure this'll be a jolly good watch! Should be deliciously dark, too.

What worries me is how dark the source material is... I wonder how they might try to "lighten it"... ie: Create/follow another character (other than Holmes) who you can rally behind?