PDA

View Full Version : The future of AI in games

darth los
12-Nov-2010, 05:07 PM
This is actually a pretty good read on aI.

Where it's been, where we are now and future possibilities.

Now if they can only fix those dumb ass Left 4 Dead bots...

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6283722/index.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=picks&tag=picks%3Btitle%3B7

:cool:

Mitchified
12-Nov-2010, 05:17 PM
The Left 4 Dead bots are perfect. I don't have to go looking for them when they've annoyed me, they just stick their heads right in front of my shotgun every time a zombie shows up.

darth los
12-Nov-2010, 05:55 PM
The Left 4 Dead bots are perfect. I don't have to go looking for them when they've annoyed me, they just stick their heads right in front of my shotgun every time a zombie shows up.

My personal favorite is when a smoker is above you, smokes you and you're hanging there like a fish on a hook and the bots just stand there. That's only until you die of course then they seem to be able to function again. :mad:

Mitchified
12-Nov-2010, 06:04 PM
I love the bots that run up to the Tank before they start shooting at it. That happens a lot more in Left 4 Dead than in Left 4 Dead 2, and it always seems to be Louis. I guess he wasn't paid to think in his middle management job.

Left 4 Dead 2 has the bots that try to melee Boomers backward when the Boomer is right in front of a wall and the bots that don't seem to want to be bothered when a Jockey is making you run all the way back to the beginning of the map.

darth los
12-Nov-2010, 06:15 PM
Another fav of mine is when a special infected (hunter for example) is ripping your guts out but there's a witch between you and the bots. They will not, under any circumstances try to help you until the witch is eliminated. :dead:

:cool:

Danny
13-Nov-2010, 03:07 PM
this reminds me of those FUCKING marines in every halo game ever.

Thank fuck bungie didnt make the halo rts, can you imagine that? jesus....

Mitchified
13-Nov-2010, 03:31 PM
The Halo bots have some of the best errors ever. I remember my first time playing Halo 3, one of the bots got knocked into the air or jumped or something just started spinning around wildly while shooting...and floating a good six feet off the ground.

At least they don't take the pills that you were heading over towards. DAMMIT, FRANCIS, STOP TAKING MY PILLS!

ProfessorChaos
13-Nov-2010, 05:58 PM
u guys ever play CoD:WaW? i swear, i was playing it once and there was a Marine and a japanese soldier standing six feet apart with a tree between them, both of them firing into the tree non-stop and screaming at each other. really takes you out of the game...i hear the new garbage CoD game is the same way.

Mitchified
13-Nov-2010, 07:35 PM
Yeah, COD: WaW had bugs all over the place. I've never seen the tree thing you mentioned, but there were times when there would be two NPCs, one on each side of a wall, and they'd keep shooting at each other. I can't count the number of times that a bot killed itself with a grenade that it threw into an object right in front of it.