PDA

View Full Version : Your best movie viewing experiences?

MinionZombie
12-Nov-2010, 06:14 PM
I'll be doing a series of posts on my blog talking about my most memorable movie viewing experiences (the first post is now up, concerning Best Silver Screen Experiences - http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-most-memorable-movie-viewing.html)

Here's a little sample from my aforementioned post:

The Pit and the Pendulum (Roger Corman, 1961):
When – November 2006
Where – The Cube Microplex, Bristol
Why – in 2006 I went to the Bristol Bloodbath Film Festival (my short film VHS was being shown as part of a series of indie shorts), and the first film on the schedule was this Roger Corman flick. I’d never seen it, nor many Vincent Price roles, before and I really quite enjoyed it. However, what made this a memorable screening was the print itself – here we are sat in a half-remodelled independent theatre somewhere in the depths of Bristol, and the print is rough, gritty and raw. It broke down entirely two or three times, the reel got jammed, and even when running just fine it was full of damage. It was still certainly watchable, but this particular viewing just had so much character and charm, and it reminded me of some of the screenings we’d have at Univeristy of restored prints. It felt like a real grindhouse experience.

So anyway, I was wondering what you guys' most memorable movie viewing experiences were (be they at the cinema, or at home, or where-ever).

bassman
12-Nov-2010, 06:46 PM
Pretty much anything my dad took me to see when I was younger. The most memorable and long lasting would be the first Toy Story. The first few Batman films, too. There was always something special about going to see a movie with the old man.

Fight Club. Never saw it coming. Had to go back and see it again. Immediately. You could feel the collective gasp run through the audience.

Grindhouse. Just fun wrapped up into three and a half hours. No other way to explain it than just pure FUN.

Ghostbusters. Believe it or not this was just about a month ago. My favorite local independent theater played it for about a week straight. I went on a Saturday night with my brother(also a huge GB fan) and expected there to only be a few seats filled. Nothing major - there usually weren't many people at this place. We walked through the door of the theater just in time to hear the eerie "weeeooohhhh" sound during the "Columbia Pictures" logo followed by the gigantic roar of a PACKED theater. They cheered with the music, they laughed at all the jokes, and stayed to clap through most of the credits for no real reason at all. It was just one big Ghostbusters love fest.

My older brother got me into Ghostbusters when I was very young. I honestly don't remember when it started. It's ALWAYS been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember. The two hour theater experience that night was one of the best, if not THE best I'll ever have.

BillyRay
12-Nov-2010, 06:50 PM
Here's mine - a surreal experience before the audience started chiming in...

Eraserhead (Dir David Lynch -1976)
When - sometime in the late '90's
Where - The Times Cinema 'Friday Night Freak Show' Midnight Movie
Why - A dark, drunken, rowdy capacity crowd (as usual), watching Lynch's B&W early masterpiece in complete, respectful silence. That is, until the Lady in the Radiator began singing "In Heaven, everything is fine/ You've got your good things, and I've got mine". During the first verse the audience swayed back and forth, as one, with the tune. By the second verse, everyone was softly singing along. A moment of surreal, beautiful gestalt.

MinionZombie
13-Nov-2010, 11:10 AM
Bassman - sounds like that GB screening was a great one. Wish I could have been there to see it for myself.

BillyRay - interesting you should mention Eraserhead, that'll be one of the films in one of the following entries in this series of blog posts I'll be doing. But in short, I got it on video and it took me two months to get through the whole movie. I'd watch anything between 5 and 20 minutes and just get too weirded out and I'd have to stop it and leave it for a while. :D

wayzim
13-Nov-2010, 12:00 PM
I'll be doing a series of posts on my blog talking about my most memorable movie viewing experiences (the first post is now up, concerning Best Silver Screen Experiences - http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-most-memorable-movie-viewing.html)

Here's a little sample from my aforementioned post:

So anyway, I was wondering what you guys' most memorable movie viewing experiences were (be they at the cinema, or at home, or where-ever).

2001 at a Drive-In in Texas (70 ) Even under the worst conditions it simply blew me away. You can't explain to a younger film fan exactly what this means, but Kubrick's vision worked on multiple levels and for this kid, it brought the wonder and terror of the cosmos out in a credible functional way.

Seeing Star Wars (76)when it was shiny and new. Already a veteran film watcher by my teens, Unlike the best of SciFi/Fantasy cinema up to this point, this was something we hadn't really encountered before. The FXs were great, sure, but even before Joseph Campbell helped turned it into the modern mythology it is today, the pure excitement and adventure created a new paradigm before our very eyes.

The Original showing of Dawn of The Dead in, of all places, a mall movie house at midnight. Imagine coming out of this mind blowing film with just the glow of the safety lights to guide you. Seriously freaky, like you were suddenly thrust into the movie itself.

Wayne Z
"This ain't no Creature Double Feature or Midnight Fright Flick, babe. "
Dead Fall; Foreshadow.

rongravy
13-Nov-2010, 02:04 PM
Total Recall. I dropped acid right before and started tripping when he found out his life was fucked. Best trip I ever had.

Danny
13-Nov-2010, 02:11 PM
Watched a marathon of the blues brothers followed by caddyshack followed by animal house. the whole audience was in tears with laughter at multiples points. yelling quotes out, singing the songs, totally fucking rad. Especially for my friends who had seen none of the films before. now every so often when were in a traffic jam whoevers behind the wheel now usually goes "man, i hate Illinois nazis!" not an exact quote i dont think, but its a thing for us now.

-that and prince riding a segway with a massively long cape lurking in multi basement carparks, but thats another story for another time.

Mitchified
13-Nov-2010, 02:14 PM
It was definitely seeing The Dark Knight for the first time in an IMAX theater. Very, very rarely is a movie with a strong plot, amazing actors, and mindblowing visuals shown in that format and it all combined into this incredible experience.

This idiot studios that are making 3-D movies in an attempt to create an "experience" for the viewers need to realize that the visuals are only half the equation.

bassman
13-Nov-2010, 02:18 PM
ohhh...yeah that's a good one. TDK in IMAX was a friggin thrill. Probably more so than Avatar's 3D.

And the DP of TDK, Wally Pfiester, recently stated in an interview that they'll be filming even more of The Dark Knight Rises in the Imax format. Good news.

Mitchified
13-Nov-2010, 02:46 PM
I know this isn't going to happen, but I would have loved to see Christopher Nolan's take on Bane. Realistically it could happen, too, if you tweak his origin. The mob has been driven to extremely desperate measures by the actions of Batman, the killings perpetrated by Two Face, and the mistake of hiring the Joker. They could resort to bringing in Bane from South America to try to end the "Batman problem" once and for all. Tell me that an epic fight between Batman and Bane in the cave wouldn't blow your mind in IMAX format.

It looks like one of the villains is going to be Catwoman or Poison Ivy (with an extremely outside chance of Harley Quinn) since Christopher Nolan was interviewing actresses for both a love interest and villain role. The Riddler has already been shot down as a villain so we won't be seeing him. Since we've already had Ra's Al Ghul, the Scarecrow, the Joker, and Two Face, maybe Bane DOES have a shot at being in the movie.

bassman
13-Nov-2010, 02:51 PM
It looks like one of the villains is going to be Catwoman or Poison Ivy (with an extremely outside chance of Harley Quinn) since Christopher Nolan was interviewing actresses for both a love interest and villain role. The Riddler has already been shot down as a villain so we won't be seeing him. Since we've already had Ra's Al Ghul, the Scarecrow, the Joker, and Two Face, maybe Bane DOES have a shot at being in the movie.

I could see Talia Al Ghul(Rha's daughter) being one of those ladies. It would be a nice way to bring the trilogy full circle. Or course she would only be one of the villains, not the main one.

Danny
13-Nov-2010, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't add harley in this movie, id add dr quinzel. Have the joker spend the movie in gotham, in his dark cell, face in shadow, whilst the batmans out fighting however, bringing them in and such harley is trying to "fix" the joker in the meantime. Of course we all know how that goes down don't we? end the movie after batmans beaten the main villain with a 'breakout from arkham' and metion 'some chick in a jeste routfit', add some insane joker laughter and bale doing his constipation face and well'a :lol:

Mitchified
13-Nov-2010, 02:59 PM
I could definitely see Talia being involved as Batman's love interest IF they resurrected Ra's with the Lazarus Pit (or some super ninja escape dive from the monorail). Her character always worked so well in the comics because she was constantly being forced to choose between the man she loved and her father. It was great tension.

...My inner fanboy seems to be showing.

Danny
13-Nov-2010, 03:06 PM
I could definitely see Talia being involved as Batman's love interest IF they resurrected Ra's with the Lazarus Pit (or some super ninja escape dive from the monorail). Her character always worked so well in the comics because she was constantly being forced to choose between the man she loved and her father. It was great tension.

...My inner fanboy seems to be showing.

Yeah, but that leads to damian wayne and i cannot see bale playing a father figure yknow?

Mitchified
13-Nov-2010, 03:13 PM
Nolan has stated in the past that he's only interested in making a trilogy, so Damian wouldn't have time to come into the picture. After all, this is still very early in Batman's career, and Damian didn't put in an appearance for a long time in the comics.

And I hate to say this as a fan of the Talia character, but I've always thought that she should be killed off in the comics in such a way that Ra's blames Batman for her death. Then we have a situation where it becomes two of the best strategists in the world in conflict with one another, something that is somewhat rare in the comics with the notable exception of Hush.

deadpunk
13-Nov-2010, 04:22 PM
Back on topic...

As a child, my brother and I went with our grandfather to see each of the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies. (Around the time of the third Indy flick, we were living in another state and my brother & I made the 300 mile trip to see it with our grandfather)

But, for some reason, maybe it was my age, the night we all went to see the original Indiana Jones epic really sticks out in my mind. Not just as a movie going experience, but as one of those memories you pull out and marvel over when feeling nostalgic, you know? It was one of those perfect nights :)

MoonSylver
13-Nov-2010, 04:34 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I grew up in a VERY rural area. Just a crossroads w/ a couple of general stores, a bank, a post office, a couple gas stations. Nearest towns were miles away. To this day, I don't even know if THEY had movie theaters, thus I never went to the movies as a kid (other than a couple of lackluster trips to the drive in.) This was back in the dark days at the dawn of time before the VCR, so I pretty much never seen ANY movies in ANY form. However when we moved to Ohio I was 11 years old, I discovered movies on cable. 80's cable was a GREAT time to discover movies & probably shaped & informed me in ways that still hold true today. All of that is to set the frame of mind for the first movie we went to in a second run theater:

"Superman II" - :stunned: :hyper: Given my age, the big screen, & the subject matter, I was blown away. The fight between The Man of Steel & The Phantom Zone villains was the most epic thing I'd ever seen. The next move I can remember was:

"Raiders of the Lost Ark" - See above. In retrospect, it's clear that Spielberg & Lucas were doing the same thing that George had done previously with "Star Wars": recasting the movies of his youth for a new generation, & the impact may have been diluted by time & sequels, but seeing that thing on the big screen,fresh & new...:stunned:

"Return of the Jedi" - It's weird. Star Wars had a HUGE impact in my childhood, as it did of every other kid of my generation but I never really got to see it in theaters (one of the abortive trips to the drive in - it rained.) It was in the water. It was in the air. You could just walk around & absorb that movie by osmosis through your pores. I was SW & ESB a bunch on cable though. I remember when RotJ finally rolled around, that theater WAS PACKED. I mean packed in a way that you younger guys will probably never see in your lifetimes, with all of the megaplexes & multiple screen showings. Literally EVERY SEAT IN THAT THEATER WAS FILLED. The ushers were having to shoehorn people in. I've never seen anything like it since.

To see Luke as a Jedi all clad in badass black, the rescue of Han from Jabba the Hutt, the final showdown with Vader, The Emperor, the climactic moment where Anakin Skywalker turns back to the Light Side of The Force...powerful stuff. That's why Ewoks or no I'll always love RotJ. ;)

"The Terminator" - By 1984 I was about 14 & just at the right age for this sort of thing. I remember when I saw this, I thought it was the greatest movie ever made. ("Aliens" had a similar impact. This + Conan the Barbarian set the stage a year later for...

"Commando". Every one was curious to see if "this Schwarzenegger guy" could carry a movie where he wasn't a Barbarian or a Killer Cyborg or something. He could. Looking back on it now, Arnold may seem passe today to the younger crowd, but after this he was THE MAN. My dad & I were huge fans & saw everything he put out. Commando set the pattern for me on what an ACTION MOVIE should be. BIG, BIG, BIG. I was a full on action junkie now, so movies like "Die Hard" & "Lethal Weapon" were also similarly "The Greatest Movie(s) Ever". :D

Pretty much anything my dad took me to see when I was younger... There was always something special about going to see a movie with the old man.

Yeah. If you didn't doze off reading the above, you can see a pattern there of me going to the movie with my Dad as a teenager. He was cool with me seeing "R" rated movies by 13-14 & we went to see EVERYTHING. Pretty much EVERY WEEKEND we went to the movies. It was our "thing. After I got older & moved out on my own Dad went back to religion & spends all his time now reading the bible, listening to gospel music, etc, so those days (and that Dad) are gone forever now, but I'm thankful for them & are some of the fondest memories of my life.

I notice that most of my "memorable movie moments" are from my teenage years. Don't know of it's nostalgia, or I just got older, but I have a hard time coming up with movie going experiences in modern times that had such an impact on me.

I can remember the summer "Se7en" & "The Usual Suspects" came out. Mind suitably blown on both. "The Crow" also had similar impact.

I was so stoked & totally blown away when "The Phantom Menace" came out. A NEW STAR WARS MOVIE IN THEATERS!!!! Something a guy of my generation never thought he'd see. Yeah, buyer's remorse set in later to certain extent (I had the same experience with the remake of "Dawn of the Dead" '04 as well, :hyper: at first, then :| ).

"Land of the Dead" was another in the vein of "A NEW _____ MOVIE!!!!!" I was so psyched to see A NEW GAR ZOMBIE MOVIE...IN THEATERS!!! My wife was out of town that weekend & I was going to treat myself to a double feature of that and another movie I can't remember, since I never saw it. I loved Land so much I went out, bought another ticket, & went right back in for the next showing.

"Spider-Man" was a big deal for me. He was probably an even bigger part of my childhood than Star Wars. My favorite superhero. I never thought I'd see him done right, on the big screen. I was astonished. I knew now & forever that there were now no limits on what they could do w/ CGI & SPFX in moves. Anything that could be imagined could be realized.

Now that I'm older, with a family, no time, no money, I RARELY go to the movies anymore. It has to be IMPORTANT...it has to MEAN SOMETHING. "Spider-Man" & "Ep 1-3",, "Diary of the Dead","Boondock Saints 2" ,"3:10 to Yuma","Appaloosa" & "Watchmen" were all movies that were big enough "events" &/or "important" enough that I felt like I HAD to go support them.

The next movie that fits that bill is "True Grit". God I can't wait to see that movie. :hyper:

Fight Club. Never saw it coming. Had to go back and see it again. Immediately. You could feel the collective gasp run through the audience.

Wish I seen that one in the theater. Due to the nature of the movie, it was a hard one to market. All I thought it was about was a "bunch of guys...who...have...a fight...club..." :confused::rolleyes:. When I saw it on home video. :stunned:. Had similar "mind blowing" experiences at home with "Donnie Darko", "The Way of the Gun", "Saw".

*Whew*. Sorry for the ramble. Old guys do that. ;) From the above, one can infer that moves became an important part of my life & who I am, so when I get to reminiscing about them, I have a hard time stopping. :lol:

MikePizzoff
13-Nov-2010, 11:44 PM
I've got two that immediately spring to mind:

Superbad
The theater was past max capacity. Thankfully I had found a seat in the very last row of the theater, but by the time the film started there were people sitting on all of the steps on each side, on the ground at the bottom of the screen, and standing lining the wall behind the last row of seats. I immediately thought it was a recipe for disaster and the movie would be ruined by so many people's own soundtracks. However, the entire theater was silent when it should have been. Every time something funny happened the place would erupt into laughter, everyone feeding off each other's laughter. It was just a lot of fun.

Jurassic Park
The reason this is so memorable is because my Mom and I saw it 5 times in theaters. Each and every time, it scared the living shit out of me.

shootemindehead
14-Nov-2010, 06:16 AM
Star Wars (Dir G. Lucas -1977)
When - 1977
Where - The Green Cinema, Dublin
Why - It was a defining moment in my life and one so young too. 'Star Wars' actually forms some of my earliest memories as a child. I clearly recall pulling up in front of the cinema in the bus, the huge 'Star Wars' lettering on display in that distinctive writing. I remember having to wait in a queue to see it! Something that’s rare these days and the cinema was full to the brim, there were even people sitting on the steps of the aisle! As the picture started and that Star Destroyer crawled across the screen, I was hooked and even though the print was probably terrible and the sound in all likelihood was in mono, ‘Star Wars’ stamped an indelible mark on my young mind. I left the cinema as Han Solo and never looked back. ‘Star Wars’ sits among many an enjoyable cinema experience, but because it was such a spectacle in those days, it became very hard to top and in fact few films ranked beside it. The flipside is, of course, the incredible disappointment I felt 20+ years later when 'The Phantom Menace' came out and ripped apart those fond memories.

Special mention should also go to my trip to see 'Superman' a year later. Although not having the same total impact as 'Star Wars', it was memorable because my mum and I missed the first showing that afternoon and we waited in a queue for the next show! Now, 'Superman' is well over 2 hours long and my mother (god rest her soul) must have had the patience of a saint to put up with this little movie junkie and stand in line for a film! 'Superman', of course, was one of those cinema defining moments and as I grew older, the memories of that day were all about the film and what a fantastic experience it was for such young eyes. Later still and the memories have turned into that of my mum, whose kindness of spirit I will always be thankful for.

MinionZombie
23-Nov-2010, 07:04 PM
The second blogpost in this little series I'll be doing of my most memorable movie viewing experiences throughout my life - this time, Childhood Favourites:

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-most-memorable-movie-viewing_23.html

Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Ivan Reitman, 1984, 1989):
When – Late 1980s/1990/Early 2000s
Where – Television/Home Video
Why – Ghostbusters was my entire world in my earliest years. The movies, particularly the first, the spin-off cartoon The Real Ghostbusters, and a whole array of toys (including the Proton Pack, which was a must-have kids toy for Christmas – my Dad successfully acquired one for me FYI) … suffice to say, bustin' ghosts was a big deal.

I just thought the Ghostbusters were the coolest guys on the planet, and I would repeatedly watch the show and the movies. Then when I moved into my teenage years I got wrapped up in a whole bunch of other movies and it wasn’t until my second or third year at university that I rediscovered the two flicks on DVD and it was a fantastic re-introduction to what was still a childhood favourite in my mind.

This time however, at the age of 20/21, I suddenly understood all the adult jokes and comedy, and it was like watching a whole new movie, but at the same time as watching one which I knew so well it was like it was in my bones. Sound effects, musical cues, lines of dialogue, the pacing of the editing etc – so ingrained in my memory from repeated childhood viewings. What’s more it was my first chance to see the flicks in their original aspect ratio – as a child I had no understanding of the horror that is Pan & Scan, and in the VHS era everything was Pan & Scanned.

Back to the Future trilogy (Robert Zemeckis, 1985, 1989, 1990):
When – Late 1980s/Early 1990s/Early 2000s/2010
Where – Television/Home Video/Cinema
Why – Like the Ghostbusters, I thought Marty McFly was one of the coolest guys on the planet – but throw in a time travelling DeLorean (I was, like most boys, fascinated with cars) and a tip-top script and they had my attention. I was only a year old when the first movie came out, so it wasn’t until it was shown on television/home video that I got to see it. Then the back-to-back sequels came out, but I can’t remember if I saw the second one on video or at the cinema. However, one of my earliest cinema-going memories was seeing the third film on the big screen.

Similar to Ghostbusters, a number of years went by without seeing any of them, and so I rediscovered them on the 3-disc DVD box set several years ago. Yet again it was like no time had passed, and thanks to multiple childhood viewings, the dialogue, sound effects, music, and everything in-between was as fresh in my memory as it had been a good fifteen years prior.

Finally, with the 25th anniversary of the first movie, I got to see the original flick on the big screen - and even though I'd seen it dozens of times, it was a superb experience, which I wrote about at-length here: http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2010/10/back-to-future-25th-anniversary.html

Short Circuit 1 & 2 (John Badham, Kenneth Johnson, 1986, 1988):
When – Late 1980s/Early 1990s/Early 2000s
Why – As far as I was concerned as a kid, Johnny Five was alive, and being a small boy I was fascinated by robots. Looking back on the films today, as the Nostalgia Critic has done, there are some questionable elements to the films, but I guess it was a more innocent time - and as a kid, nothing about the flick was questionable.

Yet again, fast forward to my second or third year at university and I rediscovered both films on DVD, and once again my memory of them was so strong that I could anticipate the sound effects, music cues, pace of the editing and so on. My love of these two movies came flooding back, from the sense of wonder of the first film, to the final act of the second movie which packs two memorable punches - Five's attack, and Five's capturing of the bad guy. What's more I got to see them in their original aspect ratio at long last, which is particularly important for the first film, which has been dreadfully Pan & Scanned in the past (a recent showing on Channel 5 was quite possibly the most horrendous Pan & Scan job I've ever seen).

Jurassic Park (Steven Spielberg, 1993):
When – 1993/2010
Where – Multiplex Cinema
Why – In the summer of 1993 the movie to see was Jurassic Park. I went crazy for this movie, looking forward to the weekend matinee showing with such anticipation it was like an early Christmas. Then there we all were, in the darkened cinema, watching dinosaurs come to life – at the time the CGI was like nothing we’d seen before and was truly a marvel to behold – but aside from the fantastic effects (both CG and practical), it was Spielberg doing what he does best. The pacing is ideal and the action sequences are tense and impressive, but even more than that the characters were interesting.

That summer was all about Jurassic Park; it was without a doubt a phenomenon. I read the kid’s version of the book, the comic book run, got the making-of book, and went nuts for it on video. Then, yet again, I didn’t see it for many years until 2010 when I rediscovered it on Sky Movies. The movie was still fresh, still tense, still exciting, and the assured pacing remained impressive – more-so now that I’m of an age (and film education background) that I can seriously appreciate just how good the movie is and how it holds up so well. It’s amazing to think that come 2013 it’ll be twenty years old.

Batteries Not Included (Matthew Robbins, 1987):
When – Late 1980s
Why – like with Short Circuit, I was fascinated by robots (in this case robot space aliens that recycle scrap metal and feed on electricity), but it was also the spectacle of this crumbling old apartment building that really captured my imagination. However, the sequence that truly fascinated me was, perhaps oddly, when the building burns down. It was a thrilling experience to see that, and – weirdly – it became a little bit of a obsession with me. I would draw versions of that sequence over and over in my drawing books as a kid, not that I was some kind of arsonist-in-waiting, but it was the spectacle of that sequence that really grabbed my attention.

Looking back I think that that sequence, among other favourite moments from the movies listed here, that helped plant the seed in my mind that filmmaking was what I wanted to do in life – something that I wouldn’t finally realise and figure out until I was 18.

The Money Pit (Richard Benjamin, 1986):
When – Late 1980s
Why – I think the unrequited Architect in me was drawn most to this movie (the same part of me which is drawn to Channel 4’s Grand Designs), and I became fascinated with this crumbling old mansion (particularly the collapse of the staircase). It’s funny how certain things can grab you as a child, and this was one of those cases – I wasn’t fussed about the plot (I'd frequently fast forward to the point where they'd arrive at the house), I was just interested in Tom Hanks’ trials and tribulations with this unmitigated disaster of a fixer-upper.

It's still a fond favourite of mine, even if it was a bit of an 80's rip-off of Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House (H.C. Potter, 1948), and it always manages to transport me back to the TV room in the first house I lived at ... so more of a personal favourite than a critical favourite, but so what, eh?

Neil
24-Nov-2010, 05:33 PM
Must be "The Terminator" when it came out!

I knew NOTHING about the film... Not even that it was scifi... Dear God, I was blown away!

And then all the Star Wars (original) films :)

DjfunkmasterG
24-Nov-2010, 09:47 PM
Wow... man, living almost 40 years on this earth and going to theaters 33 of those years i can't even narrow it down... to less than 20 movies.

Most recently would probably be.... Shaun of the Dead, and this was during its 2004 theatrical run. Packed house, everyone laughed, was a good time.

bassman
24-Nov-2010, 09:54 PM
Most recently would probably be.... Shaun of the Dead, and this was during its 2004 theatrical run. Packed house, everyone laughed, was a good time.

That's a good one I didn't think about. It wasn't a packed theater, but the 20-30 or so people in there all had a great time. I was pleasantly surprised that people would laugh or cheer at the numerous Romero references.

MinionZombie
25-Nov-2010, 10:09 AM
I saw Shaun during its theatrical run too. Was a good screening too, everybody was digging it, and I had a really good time ... less good was getting lost in the city for an hour afterwards, just trying to get back on the dual carridgeway afterwards, simply because I took a wrong turn and had a 'man moment' of not wanting to ask for directions until an hour later. :lol:

BillyRay
30-Nov-2010, 08:23 PM
The Matrix, opening night, 1999.

A friend had read an early synopsis, and eagerly wanted to go. (Our reaction was along the lines of "Really? But it's got Keanu Reeves...") So a trio of us went to the Mega-Ultra screen in the suburbs.

We had dressed up; actually we had Gothed up, planning to hit our usual Haunt (pun intended) immediately following the flick. Dressed in black, in the techno-industrial-rocker style. Our party got some pretty funny looks from the suburbanites, I tell you what.

So we sit in the front row (not by my choice), crowded theater, and get our minds mildly blown, along with the rest of the audience. Credits roll, house lights come back on, we get up to leave.

Notice immediately the funny looks have changed. We're no longer freaks in black, we now look to them more like the avatars of the freedom fighters in the Matrix. We put on our sunglasses, smile knowingly, and exit.

Screwed with a few heads that night...

(Kind of a reversal of seeing a middle-aged Jim Morison at the Doors premiere. But that's another story...)

MinionZombie
08-Dec-2010, 05:42 PM
The next chapter of my little ongoing blog series:

Formative Years: Part One
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-most-memorable-movie-viewing.html

The Evil Dead (Sam Raimi, 1981):
When – 1998
Where – Home Video
Why – After school one day we stopped in at the local post office, and for the previous few weeks they had had a bargain bin for videos, £5 a pop. I’d already nabbed a number from there, but having just that week heard about Sam Raimi’s gruesome horror from friends (who summed it up somewhat dismissively as “pencil stabbing and oozing mashed potato”), I knew that it was in fact going to be something special.

Still decidedly too young to buy it for myself, my Mum and the shop girl joked about how neither of them would watch it in a million years as it was bought for me, and then away home. Initially it was a bit slow, but as soon as the gore starting flying my jaw hit the floor – so as you can imagine, the final act promptly inspired me to flip my lid. At the time it was the goriest film I’d ever seen, and at that point in time the BBFC hadn’t entered its post-Ferman age, so this copy was the rather butchered version borne out of the ‘Video Nasty’ era (this being named “the #1 nasty”) – but still, it became an all-time favourite, and an inspiration.

The George A. Romero Undead Saga (George A. Romero, 1968, 1978, 1985, 2005, 2007, 2009):
When – 1998, 1999, 2005, 2007, 2010
Where – Home Video/Multiplex Cinema
Why – in May 1997 I bought a copy of SFX magazine during a school trip because in the corner of the front cover I saw the name “George A. Romero”, a name which I’d heard was synonymous with the zombie genre – a genre that had recently become of interest to me, despite having never really seen any zombie movies before. That article, in connection with the release of the Cannes Cut (distributed incorrectly as the “Director’s Cut”) on home video by BMG, made me ravenous about seeing Dawn of the Dead. Initially however, it eluded me, for what seemed like forever.

However, in a local Woolworths I came across a copy of Day of the Dead (a couple of fascinated images from which appeared in the aforementioned SFX article) for £5.99 – so I snatched it up (or rather, it was bought for me, as I was still an early teen at this point) and hurried home to check it out. Having only recently been awed by the gory delights of The Evil Dead, I was soon astounded by the Tom Savini’s make-up effects. It blew my mind.

Fast forward a bit and we have Night of the Living Dead, and Dawn of the Dead. The former was a good flick from the get-go (a friend and I even did a soft toy spoof version, a la The Adam & Joe Show), but it was the latter that stunned me silent. I remember putting the video on, sitting down, and then 2 hours and 20 minutes later I was left, still on the edge of my seat, jaw literally agape, as the sound of the clock bell echoed into nothingness. It became, and remains, my all-time number one favourite movie.

Fast forward again to the release of Land of the Dead – my first Romero flick in the cinema, and a zombie one to-boot. I watched it with a fellow Romero fan, and an audience who was likewise in-tune with what was happening on-screen … except for the trio who clearly couldn’t get in to see Guy Ritchie’s new film (Revolver), who promptly fled once the innards really started to fly.

A couple of years later and there I was, the only time I’ve been to the cinema alone, seeing Diary of the Dead. It was me, a couple, and one other guy who sodded off part-way in (maybe he worked there, I don’t know). The lens dipped whilst the projectionist was away, and while I said that I loved it, deep down I was disappointed by it. My relationship with Diary has been all over the place ever since.

Finally we come to Survival – not a memorable viewing, but I enjoyed finally getting to see it, even if it was direct-to-DVD here in the UK. It’s not perfect, but I dig it.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Tobe Hooper, 1974):
When - 1999
Where – Home Video
Why – 1999 was a decisive time in my formative years, as the British Board of Film Classification entered a new era when James Ferman left, and a whole slew of previously banned films were finally released and went straight onto the home video market. In this instance a friend had rented it, dubbed it, and then I dubbed his dub – so I had this third generation copy (or you could argue fourth generation what with the original video having to be sourced en mass, however that’s done) and I remember eating dinner whilst watching the flick – the picture and audio were fudgy, being a dub-of-a-dub, but it only served to make the experience of first seeing this notorious video nasty all the more illicitly thrilling.

Friday the 13th (Sean S. Cunningham, 1980):
When - Late 1990s/Early 2000s
Where – Home Video/Television
Why – Similar to Chainsaw Massacre, my first copy of Friday 13th was a dub-of-a-dub, and so the fudgy visuals and audio again served the illicit thrill of watching this landmark slasher flick. Furthermore, a few years later, a group of us all sat down to watch it at a house party – and one of the girls was terrified of horror films – so on more than one occasion, including the famous final jump, the more devious-minded of us would sneak up behind her and scare the bejesus out of her.

The rest of the flicks I would see in a somewhat scattered pattern on home video and television, and as close as I can figure it the order went something like this – 1,2,3,4,8,9,6,7,10,5 … although I can’t remember exactly.

A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick, 1971):
When – 1999/2000
Where – Home Video
Why – Of all the films from my formative years, Kubrick’s balletic tale of ultra violence was one of the most influential – and it was certainly the most influential of my final year of High School. It was one of the most iconic of the video nasties era – and it hadn’t even been banned (it was removed in the UK by Kubrick himself after so-called copycat incidents occurred) – so with the combination of a change of leadership at the BBFC, and the death of Kubrick himself, his self-imposed ban was lifted.

I saw the movie, read the book and listened to the soundtrack repeatedly. It was so influential in fact that the exam project for my GCSE 2D Art was directly inspired by it utilising a mixture of adapted images from it, and images referencing it.

The Fly II (Chris Walas, 1989):
When – 1993/1994
Where – Television
Why – At age 9 I began to watch horror movies, albeit ones that were as much science fiction as they were horror, and the sequel to David Cronenberg’s ultimate body horror remake was one of those introductory movies. Certain scenes gave me a jump – such as the mangled, grotesque dog lunging out of the darkness – and certain scenes gave me reason to repeatedly rewind and review (frame by frame) to examine how the special effect worked – such as the guard who gets crushed by an elevator.

What was more memorable though was my Dad, quite rightly, making sure that the difference between reality and fiction was concrete – speaking of the guy crushed by an elevator, I remember him saying something along the lines of ‘if that character was real he’d have a wife and kids, and someone would have to tell them he was dead’ – I kind of chuckle about it now, but it was a subtle way to just re-affirm that a movie is just a movie, and horrific things happen in the real world that actually have to be dealt with.

Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979):
When – 1993/1994
Where – Television
Why – Along with The Fly 2, this was one of the first horror movies (also part sci-fi) that I ever watched, at the tender age of 9. At the time I found it a bit dull, I must confess, what with the long takes creeping around the Nostromo, and the subtle use of the titular xenomorph itself – however it implanted itself into my mind, and I now consider it a true classic.

Halloween (John Carpenter, 1978):
When – Mid-to-Late 1990s
Where – Television
Why – While I’d already started to watch adult oriented movies like Alien, The Fly 2, and the Terminator movies, I hadn’t gotten into (or, really, been allowed to get into) proper horror movies – and in this case, Carpenter’s seminal slasher. I remember watching this one weekend morning with the door closed, the sound turned down really low and with my finger hovering nervously over the ‘STOP’ button.

Similar to Alien, at the time I considered it a bit dull and light on the violence, but also like Alien I quickly came to view it as a true classic. However, it was the illicit thrill of watching this taboo horror flick that really stuck in my mind.

Trin
08-Dec-2010, 07:17 PM
For me it was Die Hard. Saw it in the theatre. And before you say, wtf, Die Hard? Remember that prior to Die Hard you had intelligent movies and you had action movies and never did they cross. Die Hard presented a very complex intelligent plot and an everyman hero who bleeds when he gets cut. It was such a departure from the typical action movie. Blew me away. It is a movie that laid the foundation for a whole slew of movies that came afterward.

AcesandEights
08-Dec-2010, 07:24 PM
It is a movie that laid the foundation for a whole slew of movies that came afterward.

Motherfuckin' diehards on a motherfuckin' plane!

Motherfuckin' diehards on a fucking train!

Rinse/repeat!

The way I hear tell, the diehard formula almost made Steven Seagal watchable at some hazy point in the 1990s.

thxleo
08-Dec-2010, 07:45 PM
Best or very memorable experiences at the cinema upon original release...

*STAR WARS(1977) <--(the theater I saw this at in my home town of Savannah, GA - at age 5 - makes a cameo in the beginning of Forrest Gump when the feather floats down from the sky)
*THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK(1980) <--(got my name in the local newspaper that day - very exciting for an 8 year old!)
*RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK(1981)
*RETURN OF THE JEDI(1983) <--(got my picture this time in the local newspaper - again very exciting for an 11 year old!)
*INDIANA JONES & THE TEMPLE OF DOOM(1984)
*DAY OF THE DEAD(1985) <--(saw it Halloween night)
*FULL METAL JACKET(1987)
*GOODFELLAS(1990)
*PULP FICTION(1994)
*THE GREEN MILE(1999)
*THE DEPARTED(2006)
*THE DARK KNIGHT(2008)

On home video...

*DAWN OF THE DEAD(first watched it in 1985)
*THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION(first watched it in 1995) <--best film ever made, IMHO

MinionZombie
15-Dec-2010, 06:26 PM
Formative Years: Part Two
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-most-memorable-movie-viewing_15.html

Hellbound: Hellraiser II (Tony Randel, 1988):
When – Late 1990s/Early 2000s
Where – Television
Why – Having seen the first movie on a grubby dubbed copy, I recorded the second some time later from the TV, and proceeded to begin watching it whilst eating my lunch. The reason this viewing is memorable is that when it got to the scene where a mental patient believes her skin is scrawling with maggots – and we see her arms from her perspective to be doing just that – I actually had to turn it off in order to continue eating. That’s the only time – so far – that that has happened.

Black Christmas (Bob Clark, 1974):
When – Early 2000s
Where – Television
Why – One shot specifically, on my first viewing of the early slasher flick, wigged me out – namely the wide open eye staring through the gap in the door without the person on the other side knowing. One time when I was a kid I saw a movie on TV – a ghost story type affair – and at one point a man was pushed down a flight of stars and died when he struck the bottom, and they cut to an extreme close up of his wide open eyes. It freaked me out as a kid, and that discomfort with wide open eyes has stuck with me – so that particularly shot in Black Christmas gave me the creeps big style.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (James Cameron, 1991):
When – Late 1990s
Why – I first saw it on the BBC (and it was cut for violence and language), and I foolishly taped over my VHS recording of that broadcast, and no sooner had I done so than I wanted to see it again. It never showed on TV again and eventually, after a long time of waiting, I got it on video and was surprised to see that it was unlike the movie I was used to – namely it was uncut. Finding T2 on video became a mini mission at the time, like some sort of elusive Holy Grail, so when I finally got my mits on it again it was like a big old slice of victory cake.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 1 & 3 (Wes Craven, 1984 & Chuck Russell, 1987):
When – Late 1990s
Where – Home Video
Why – Before I was allowed to watch full-on horror movies at home (I remember being disallowed from watching the first movie when it showed on Channel 4), I got to see the first and third movie over at a friend’s house one night, and it was an illicit thrill to be watching this horror movie I’d heard so much about in the dark. Sneaking around watching horror movies you weren’t allowed to occur for a finite time, and it was a time that certainly made a lasting impression.

Although it wasn’t always horror movies – indeed one of the best examples of a forbidden movie fruit for a good while was the at-the-time-controversial Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction – the former for its tabloid-baiting violence, and the latter for its tabloid-baiting drug use. Whether it was watched on television, or dubbed from a friend’s dub, watching certain movies at a certain point in my life was a secretive thing – movies perceived to be too violent, or too scary, or a bad influence – but it’s just the sort of thing that young teenage boys do. You get bragging rights, and you ascend to the ‘seen it’ club for that flick, and it’s a style of movie watching that so epitomises being a teenager.

The Fog (John Carpenter, 1980):
When – Late 1990s/Early-and-Late 2000s
Where – Home Video
Why – On a school art trip to London, in the time we were afforded afterwards to go hunting around the capital, we stopped in at the huge HMV and – at the age of 14 – bought this 15 rated John Carpenter horror flick. It’s kind of daft and lame now, but at the time it was a thrill to ‘trick the system’ and pass for a year older than I was. However I didn’t much care for the movie on my first watch – I found it slow and far from explicit – but then I rediscovered it several years later and I thought it was genuinely creepy, and a fantastically tense ghost-story-style tale.

The Blair Witch Project (Daniel Myrick & Eduardo Sánchez, 1999):
When – 1999/2000
Where – Video Rental
Why – At the time the Internet wasn’t in widespread use, and I certainly hadn’t had much experience of the web, so word of a movie such as this was spread person-to-person. Was it real? Many people believed so, although I was only half-convinced … if it really was real, and people had really died, how would they be allowed to release it in cinemas and home video, and create a line of merchandise for it? Regardless, that final sequence proved to be the scariest part of the flick for me. It’s long since been absorbed by the popular culture, but at the time there was a special air about this indie shocker.

Eraserhead (David Lynch, 1976):
When – 1999
Where – Home Video
Why – On holiday in Edinburgh in the summer of 1999, we stopped into HMV and three videos were bought for me (being that I was underage, not that the wise till jockey cared – indeed he commended my taste) – those videos were Graveyard Shift, Evil Ed, and David Lynch’s bizarre debut. I’d never seen a Lynch movie before and its sheer power (in terms of the weird and the disturbing) freaked me out too much. As a result I was only able to watch the movie in portions of 5, 10, 15 or 20 minutes – with long gaps in between – it probably took me a good several weeks/few months to see the entire movie, and I’ve not seen it since … but I have been meaning to. Did it leave an impression? You bet it did.

The Thing (John Carpenter, 1982):
When – Mid 1990s and beyond
Where – Television
Why – I was about 10 years old when I first saw John Carpenter’s sci-horror-gore-fest, and initially it fascinated me for the special make up effects. However, as time has gone by and I’ve grown up, the themes of isolation and paranoia have really captured my imagination and built up into a genuine mild fear of the movie. It has become an intimidating flick – just like the equally superior Se7en – that is one of my all-time favourites, but one that sits on the shelf daring me to watch it. When I finally do watch it from time-to-time it’s never quite as horrifying as my mind has led me to believe since my last viewing, but nevertheless, the expertly crafted sense of isolation and paranoia linger aggressively for days afterwards.

krisvds
16-Dec-2010, 03:02 PM
The great silence (Corbucci)

Just recently saw this one. Obtained a copy on dvd after hearing lots of good stuff about it.
Must say, apart from the classic Leone films this is one of the best spaghetti westerns i have ever seen. Dark, gritty, cynical, brutal, beautifully shot, epic. A must see. Klaus kinski rules!

MinionZombie
20-Dec-2010, 06:30 PM
Part Five of my Most Memorable Movie Viewing Experiences - Uni Years:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-most-memorable-movie-viewing_20.html

The Maltese Falcon (John Huston, 1941):
When – Autumn 2002
Where – Campus Screening Room
Why – My three years doing my degree in Film & Television Studies was a time when my eyes were opened to a whole host of films that I would have never watched beforehand, and one of the big new things for me was in the first semester of the first year on the Key Issues In Film Studies course when we had a print screening of the Bogart version of The Maltese Falcon. My mid-semester essay was to do with the style of the film, and I became a Bogart fan – consuming Casablanca (one of my all time favourite films, along with The Maltese Falcon), Key Largo, and The Big Sleep in quick succession in the following weeks – and as a result of this tale of Sam Spade, the 1940s has become one of my favourite periods of cinematic history.

Saving Private Ryan (Steven Spielberg, 1998):
When – Mid-2000s
Where – Off-Campus Bedroom
Why – While I’d already seen the movie a handful of times since not long after its original release, it was during the Lucas & Spielberg course that I came to do an essay on the opening Omaha Beach sequence – a shot-by-shot breakdown in fact, and when you consider how many shots there are in that first 25 minute sequence, it was an arduous task. Every few seconds I’d be pausing the DVD – sat there in my cramped 6ft by 8ft bedroom – and writing down exactly what was happening on screen and how it would fit into my analysis. I’ve rarely studied a sequence in that much detail, and as a result producing that essay has stuck in my mind ever since.

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (Steven Spielberg, 1982):
When – Mid-2000s
Why – Again during the Lucas & Spielberg course, one of the weeks focussed on E.T. – a film that I’d enjoyed as a kid, but for some reason had come to really quite dislike during my teenage years … I’m not entirely sure why, but I was so switched-off to the movie for some reason. Quite to my surprise then, was when we watched the movie together as a class, and I got totally invested in it. What’s more, it actually choked me up, and as a result my opinion of the movie (which had become bitter for no discernable reason) performed a total 180.

La Jetee (Chris Marker, 1962):
When – Mid-2000s
Why – During the Photography & The Arts course, on which I did an in-depth analysis of the visual language of Antonioni’s Blow-Up, a film which really struck me was La Jetee – the film which went on to inspire Twelve Monkeys. The music, the static visuals in their high contrast black and white brilliance, the dark and weird sci-fi plot – it all left a lasting impression.

Saw (James Wan, 2004):
When – 2004
Where – Off-Campus Bedroom
Why – It’s easy to forget now, as a result of annual sequels of diminishing quality, clarity and box office draw, that the original Saw was a grotesquely dark and brilliant indie horror flick that came like a bolt out of the blue. It was truly chilling in its approach to truly chilling subject matter; its violence was stunningly graphic (and not at all expected or old hat as what the sequels produced), and the big reveal at the end literally left my jaw slung low with shock – in fact that entire reveal, brilliant industrial score included (which still sends shivers down my spine to this day), haunted my mind for quite some time afterwards.

Duel (Steven Spielberg, 1971):
When – Mid-2000s
Where – Campus Seminar Room
Why – Less of a viewing of the movie, and more a group presentation of a theory regarding one particular sequence. Once again on the Lucas & Spielberg course, my group and I had drawn the latter’s stunningly gripping debut chase movie, and we proceeded to – jokingly – argue that the entire movie was an allegory for male rape. We argued (with the rest of the class in on the joke, but not the lecturer, whose Modus Operandi for reading movies consistently skewed towards more Freudian territory) that the great big brute of a truck was raping the effeminate little red car and that it was all to do with sexual dominance in the male species.

Now, there is an argument that can be made for such a reading, or part of such a reading – and we were half-serious about it – but it was this deliberate, joking escalation of the theory into perverse territory that has become one of my fondest memories of film school. In fact the lecturer rather liked our theory!

Napoleon Dynamite (Jared Hess, 2004):
When – Spring 2005
Where – Off-Campus Living Room
Why – During the spring semester of our final year at university, tensions and divisions were beginning to present themselves within our group of four in our off-campus house. Personally I found the final six months of university to be quite a stressful time for various reasons, and after a few blow-outs amongst the group, we needed something to regain the sense of fun and unity that had summed up the first two years of our time at uni.

That movie was Napoleon Dynamite and it was introduced to us all by one housemate who was quite taken with it. We sat down to watch it – a background tension in the air – and within twenty minutes we were all laughing uproariously at the quirky indie-com. The movie became the last big thing that we as a house were all about, and we watched it many times – practically quoting the script verbatim as it would play, and not even when we were watching it, just during a normal day. It was such a thing of the moment, for me at least, that I’ve not yet re-watched the movie since – only the odd moment here or there when it’s been on television – however, when I do, I’m sure it’ll take me vividly right back to those final weeks of university when everything got back on track in the house and we all got that sense of fun back.

LouCipherr
20-Dec-2010, 06:58 PM
I think i've already covered this, so I'll just blurt it out: one of the best movie viewing experiences I've ever had was seeing Nightmare on Elm Street for the first time in the theater. I was 12, went with a friend, and was so affected by it I've never been the same since.

I had another great viewing experience once - a friend of mine and I went to go see a matinee of "Top Secret" - cool thing was, we were the ONLY two people in the whole place. That was a fantastic viewing experience, albeit a mediocre film. :lol: :D

MinionZombie
21-Dec-2010, 05:37 PM
Part Six, the final part, of my best movie viewing experiences, this time - Graduate & Beyond:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-most-memorable-movie-viewing_21.html

The Descent (Neil Marshall, 2005):
When – Summer 2005
Where – Home Video
Why – It was sunny outside, it was the middle of the day, and I was watching the flick on my computer on a relatively small screen – and yet despite the setting, Marshall’s ‘chicks with picks’ claustrophobic horror managed to creep me out and cause me to jump on several occasions. Even with further viewings on DVD it still manages to chill, which in the world of modern horror movies really a special achievement.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik, 2007):
When – 2008
Where – Home Video
Why – The titular sequence in Dominik’s luxurious western haunted me for days and days afterwards, but more than that, the entire film was a sumptuously shot slow-burn film with a superb soundtrack. A viewing just recently on DVD recaptured that same impression and I just absolutely loved it.

Eyes Wide Shut (Stanley Kubrick, 1999):
When – January 2009
Where – Home Video
Why – I’d never watched Kubrick’s final film when it originally came out – at a time when I was busily devouring numerous titles from his back catalogue (repeatedly, in some cases) and indeed it took me a decade to finally get around to seeing this after getting the Director’s Series Stanley Kubrick 10-disc DVD box set. Kubrick’s films had long since become a once-in-a-blue-moon event, so it was nice to have this one that I still hadn’t seen – his final film no less – to devour and re-experience the uniqueness of Kubrick’s visions. It’s not perfect, and not his best, but the sense of occasion and the passionate attention to detail was something to behold in itself.

United 93 (Paul Greengrass, 2006):
When – Summer 2006
Where – Home Video
Why – Greengrass’ frenetic re-telling of the tragic fate which befell the passengers of United Airlines Flight 93 on September 11th 2001 was a perfectly paced and horrifying affair. The tension and impending tragedy of the situation ratchets up with expert timing, until the final sequence in which the passengers storm the hijackers and attempt to regain control of the plane was nothing short of totally-and-physically arresting. Those last minutes of the film, right before the devastating cut-to-black was beyond an edge-of-my-seat experience, so much so that when the passengers first attacked the hijackers I literally leapt out of my chair, fist thrashing into the air, and exclaimed “get those bastards!” (or something to that effect). I can’t think of any film that I have ever seen that has had such a profound and physical effect upon me. Astonishing.

Martyrs (Pascal Laugier, 2008):
When – 2009
Where – Home Video
Why – It’s not a particularly common thing for a horror movie to properly creep me out – not just give me a shock jump – but to genuinely get inside my head and stay there like a nasty infestation. So decisive was the effect of watching this somewhat ‘existential torture’ horror flick, that I had trouble getting to sleep that night, and it remained lurking around in my mind for some time afterwards. Now and then a film will come along that will really get inside your head and trouble you and Martyrs was such a film.

DjfunkmasterG
23-Dec-2010, 03:18 PM
Sheeeeit, movies that shaped my life....

DAWN of the DEAD
SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER
RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD
TEXAS CHAINSAW 1 & 2
NIGHT OF THE ZOMBIES (is it me or is Bruno Mattei better than FULCI?)
OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN
AMERICAN GIGALO
RAGING BULL
TAXI DRIVER
ORIGINAL STAR WARS TRILOGY
NIGHT 68
DAY 85
ANOES
CREEPSHOW
AMITYVILLE 79

Don't hate on me for this, but only recently did I watch JAWS for the first time. Yep, it took me 35 years to finally see this movie and man I was bummed I waited so long. Too bad the sequels didn't live up to the 1st, not that it needed sequels.

LouCipherr
23-Dec-2010, 03:29 PM
Don't hate on me for this, but only recently did I watch JAWS for the first time. Yep, it took me 35 years to finally see this movie and man I was bummed I waited so long. Too bad the sequels didn't live up to the 1st, not that it needed sequels.

WHAT?! You didn't see Jaws 'till just recently? BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!! :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
23-Dec-2010, 03:54 PM
WHAT?! You didn't see Jaws 'till just recently? BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!! :lol:

Yep I admit it. The movie never appealed to me because of how many times it was spoofed, but Lonnie, yes that Lonnie, was very adamant I watch it. So I scooped it up off eBay for $1.50 shipped and after watching it felt I should have paid $20

MinionZombie
23-Dec-2010, 04:05 PM
Bloody nora, you've only just seen Jaws?! ... Well, at least you've seen it now. :)

DjfunkmasterG
23-Dec-2010, 04:12 PM
Bloody nora, you've only just seen Jaws?! ... Well, at least you've seen it now. :)

Well 4 months ago, but since the movie came out in 75 yeah thats recent