PDA

View Full Version : What NEW MATERIAL do you as zombie fans want in movies or TV shows?

DjfunkmasterG
17-Nov-2010, 10:43 AM
Was popping into the TWD forum and read some comments from other members who are tired of the same old thing instead of doing something new... and I had replied that every time someone has changed a rule or mythology, we as fans have had an issue with it, but, complain that nothing new is being brought to the table, but when something new is brought, it is handled so poorly we can't help but just stick with what we know and love.

So I am asking you as zombie horror fans what changes would you like to see... and I will let you know first hand that I am definitely interested in reading your thoughts and opinions and if some good stuff is brought to the table and it can make a great movie, I will write a treatment and give everyone credit for their ideas used.... Maybe calling it THE HPOTD ZOMBIE PROJECT (Of course it will have a more... "of the Dead" style title, but maybe this is an area we can all brain storm and see what comes of it.

What do you guys think?

randomness
17-Nov-2010, 11:13 AM
Flying Zombies

bassman
17-Nov-2010, 12:13 PM
Personally....I think there's nothing "new" that can or should be brought to the zombies. The zombies are what they are and they don't ever really change unless, like random up there mentioned, you start giving them superpowers.

That's why it surprises me when people say TWD is nothing new. It's never really been about the zombies, it's about the characters learning to survive in a world overrun with them. That seems to be exactly what TWD is doing, so I see it as being completely new. New walks of life coming together to fight to survive, or in most cases....fight each other. That's what made Romero's trilogy great and that's what is making TWD great. It's never been about the zombies. It's about the people.

So yeah....nothing new can really be brought to the zombies. It's about the new living characters, their surroundings, their struggle to survive, and their struggles with each other.

Mitchified
17-Nov-2010, 12:25 PM
Clearly, zombie movies need more Mitch. Shameless plug go!

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?18012-New-Work-for-Critiquing (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?18012-New-Work-for-Critiquing)

In all seriousness, instead of giving zombies superpowers I would love to see little tweaks that make a very small percentage special. For example, in my books I have a zombie variant called a Piper, which emits a sort of whistling sound that causes typical zombies to follow it due to their attraction to the sound. This creates roving groups of zombies twenty to thirty strong. So while the Piper is different, it's not like "SMOKER!" different. Tweaked more than empowered.

Philly_SWAT
17-Nov-2010, 02:00 PM
Personally....I think there's nothing "new" that can or should be brought to the zombies. The zombies are what they are and they don't ever really change unless, like random up there mentioned, you start giving them superpowers.

That's why it surprises me when people say TWD is nothing new. It's never really been about the zombies, it's about the characters learning to survive in a world overrun with them. That seems to be exactly what TWD is doing, so I see it as being completely new. New walks of life coming together to fight to survive, or in most cases....fight each other. That's what made Romero's trilogy great and that's what is making TWD great. It's never been about the zombies. It's about the people.

So yeah....nothing new can really be brought to the zombies. It's about the new living characters, their surroundings, their struggle to survive, and their struggles with each other.

Well, I can't really say it any better than this, so I'll just say "ditto that".

Trin
17-Nov-2010, 02:08 PM
I want to see intelligent zombies having zombie babies, then one of the zombie babies is retarded, even for a zombie, and the other zombies all shun that baby zombie and the zombie parents, sparking a zombie class struggle, culminating in the humans taking back over by blowing them up in some gratuitous way. And one of them is black.

(I agree with Bassman too - get interesting with character and setting, not zombies)

DjfunkmasterG
17-Nov-2010, 02:44 PM
Clearly, zombie movies need more Mitch. Shameless plug go!

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?18012-New-Work-for-Critiquing (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?18012-New-Work-for-Critiquing)

In all seriousness, instead of giving zombies superpowers I would love to see little tweaks that make a very small percentage special. For example, in my books I have a zombie variant called a Piper, which emits a sort of whistling sound that causes typical zombies to follow it due to their attraction to the sound. This creates roving groups of zombies twenty to thirty strong. So while the Piper is different, it's not like "SMOKER!" different. Tweaked more than empowered.

Ahhh so your zombie is Stubbs the zombie? Like the video game?

Mitchified
17-Nov-2010, 02:57 PM
If you mean Mitch, then no, they're basically nothing alike. Mitch doesn't really control anything around him except for what's in his path, he's more like an observer than anything else. If I had to compare him to someone I'd say he's more like a really screwed up (um, and dead) version of John Travolta's character from Pulp Fiction. Half the conversations he has with Jefferson are basically conversations I've had with friends over the years, heh. His personality is completely different from Stubbs, too. He doesn't want to lead an army or find his lost love or any of that crap, he just wants to watch the world burn. When I worked out his character I wanted a total anarchist that had a good time doing what he does. At the core he's also incredibly cruel and sadistic.

Plus I don't recall Stubbs ever holding a meaningful conversation. Granted it's been years since I played the demo for that game, but still.

If you mean the Piper, it isn't even aware that it's calling a group to itself. It's not any smarter than your average zombie, it just makes the whistling sound instead of moaning. It's just an aberration.

JDFP
17-Nov-2010, 03:11 PM
I agree with Bass about the characters. Zombies are zombies, man, don't try to complicate them. They are what they are. (And they don't run, damnit!).

I would like to see a zombie idea that focuses on the president though. Where he/she goes and how he/she deals with the situation ("Night of the Living West Wing Dead" if you will). Extra credit points if you could get Martin Sheen for the role.

A story about how vampires would react to zombies. Because this is important and should really be addressed. Will a zombie bite affect a vampire? What if a vampire bites a zombie? See, this is important to know.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, an interesting story would be if a way was "discovered" to turn zombies back into conscioussness again. Of course they'll stlil be dead, but they have their former memories and consciousness back they didn't have after they became zombies. That would be nifty.

j.p.

deadpunk
17-Nov-2010, 05:01 PM
Was popping into the TWD forum and read some comments from other members who are tired of the same old thing instead of doing something new... and I had replied that every time someone has changed a rule or mythology, we as fans have had an issue with it, but, complain that nothing new is being brought to the table, but when something new is brought, it is handled so poorly we can't help but just stick with what we know and love.

So I am asking you as zombie horror fans what changes would you like to see... and I will let you know first hand that I am definitely interested in reading your thoughts and opinions and if some good stuff is brought to the table and it can make a great movie, I will write a treatment and give everyone credit for their ideas used.... Maybe calling it THE HPOTD ZOMBIE PROJECT (Of course it will have a more... "of the Dead" style title, but maybe this is an area we can all brain storm and see what comes of it.

What do you guys think?

This type of thread always reminds me of why I have such a love/hate relationship with this genre. The reality is that fans of zombie related works are simply never staisfied because, as zombie fans, everyone of them has their own survival plan already made-up.

The dissatisfaction isn't really about TWD not being anything new, at its heart it is really just a knee-jerk reaction of stating: Thats not how I would have done it.

Heres a prime example: Romero wanted to focus on re-establishing society/civilization with LAND. To do this, he incorporated money. Of course, he did. A monetary system has to be present in a society. (Whether that system is paper money or a bartering system as shown in THE BOOK OF ELI) Yet...how many times did we hear, on this forum alone, how stupid the concept was? It wasn't stupid, it was necessity of the piece, but... That's not how I would have done it.

I'm with bassman in regards to the fact that it isn't the zombies. It's the survivors. But, you'll never please all of the people all of time.

Trin
17-Nov-2010, 05:26 PM
I don't think anyone disagrees with re-introducing money. The disagreement was how it was done. A lot of people would say the same about zombie intelligence, running zombies, etc. Make it work, make it believable, make it awesome... people will dig it. Do it poorly and people will hate it. Same goes for TWD. The same tired out scenarios will be received very well if done very well.

Legion2213
17-Nov-2010, 05:46 PM
Proper professional military would do me. We see tiny glimpses of them at the end of "Shaun of the Dead" & "The Zombie Diaries".

As for money, I don't see how it would work, if somebody offered you one milllion dollars cash for your guns, ammo, first aid gear and survival supplies in a zombiegeddon scenario, you'd laugh at them. People would barter services and usefull supplies IMO.

Any money would have to be re-printed/re-invented as there would be masses of the old stuff floating around, it would be worthless in a "new society" when anybody could pick the stuff up in any house, shop or even the street.

krakenslayer
17-Nov-2010, 05:54 PM
Change the scenario and rules however you want, or don't change a thing, it's the author/screenwriter/director's choice. As long as its good, I'll be happy. But at least try to give it a new spin from a story perspective, with interesting and novel characters and situations. Oh, and it helps if you have something to say.

general tbag
17-Nov-2010, 06:27 PM
With alot of zombies stuff there a few areas i always found missing. The goverment side while a outbreak happening.I fail to believe with all those military underground tunnels and or resources the goverment would just fold.They are after all prepared for nuclear and or biohazard attacks.

Second if the ole" virus"leaked out. The question really why zombies exist, why the dead get up and feed.And myself I wish it dive into " theres no more room in hell"scenario.Id like to see a different explanation than comets, viruses, or something. Maybe it just is a act of god for judgement?

I really think if a writer did his research the whole antichrist , judgement and 1000 years of peace could be written into a good zombie script.

bassman
17-Nov-2010, 06:30 PM
I disagree. The more the phenomenon is left unexplained, the better. The moment it's explained and they can start figuring out a way to handle it is the moment they're not scary anymore.

Same for the military. Most likely the COULD handle it, but if they handle it in a movie/show/book/whatever, it would make for a very short and boring story...

It's like the old "well why didnt that character just do THIS?!?" In real life...sure, that would be great. But in a story it draws it to an end and takes all the fun out of it.

Legion2213
17-Nov-2010, 06:32 PM
I dunno tbag, I like my zombies to be mysterious, you get into all kinds of trouble when you pitch a religious angle...or any explaination to be honest.

I love the start of Dawn 04, that government guy is being quized by the press, his answer to everything "we don't know"...when the government say that, it's probably time to start soiling your pants.

Have you seen "REC" by the way...they use the demonic possesion angle in that.

wayzim
17-Nov-2010, 06:32 PM
I agree with Bass about the characters. Zombies are zombies, man, don't try to complicate them. They are what they are. (And they don't run, damnit!).

I would like to see a zombie idea that focuses on the president though. Where he/she goes and how he/she deals with the situation ("Night of the Living West Wing Dead" if you will). Extra credit points if you could get Martin Sheen for the role.

A story about how vampires would react to zombies. Because this is important and should really be addressed. Will a zombie bite affect a vampire? What if a vampire bites a zombie? See, this is important to know.
EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, an interesting story would be if a way was "discovered" to turn zombies back into conscioussness again. Of course they'll stlil be dead, but they have their former memories and consciousness back they didn't have after they became zombies. That would be nifty.

j.p.

A few writers have attacked this question, myself included.
'Preservation of a Species.' (HPOTD Fiction )dealt with an effort by vampires to save their food supply, after a Zombie Holocaust has ravaged most of Mankind. Of course, there is a twist as to the True Nature of the Three Groups.
There's a writer on the Fiction Forum pimping his some novel (Something Roses, I think. )which has a similar theme, with the addition of an alien force controlling the Zombies.
Maybe Googling will turn up more.

Wayne Z

Thirty vampires against hundreds, perhaps thousands of the others, hoping to snatch the food from their rightful owners. But with full mental faculties and lightning quick reflexes, even a few of the night hunters held the advantage...
Preservation of A Species (The Short Story )

Mitchified
17-Nov-2010, 06:36 PM
There's always the happy medium in zombie fiction: explain what started the whole thing, but make it so that it's impossible to do anything about it. Maybe the technology just isn't to the point where anything can be done, or maybe everyone that could have done something about it is dead. If a pathogen is completely rewriting a person's DNA from the ground up, for example, good luck on getting that taken care of even if you learn what's happening.

JDFP
17-Nov-2010, 06:51 PM
Another concept that would be interesting to see that I don't recall being addressed previously...

Most of the "higher ranking" government officials and their family will find a way to reach underground bunkers like Greenbrier and other safety places where years worth of food are stored. An interesting story (that really wouldn't even require zombies) would be regarding one of these groups of people in an underground bunker somewhere (similar to "Day" but a much larger group of people) and their children born in the bunker.

What would be really interesting would be the day that they decide it's "safe" to return back into the real world again many years later (say 10+ years later) and discuss their return to a world that was ravaged/destroyed by the zombie apocalypse. That would be fascinating, me thinks.

Honestly, you wouldn't even need zombies in it other than the rotted/decayed remains of the once zombies that have almost all "died" off from rot.

j.p.

Legion2213
17-Nov-2010, 07:06 PM
Another concept that would be interesting to see that I don't recall being addressed previously...

Most of the "higher ranking" government officials and their family will find a way to reach underground bunkers like Greenbrier and other safety places where years worth of food are stored. An interesting story (that really wouldn't even require zombies) would be regarding one of these groups of people in an underground bunker somewhere (similar to "Day" but a much larger group of people) and their children born in the bunker.

What would be really interesting would be the day that they decide it's "safe" to return back into the real world again many years later (say 10+ years later) and discuss their return to a world that was ravaged/destroyed by the zombie apocalypse. That would be fascinating, me thinks.

Honestly, you wouldn't even need zombies in it other than the rotted/decayed remains of the once zombies that have almost all "died" off from rot.

j.p.

That would be like "Day" meets "The Road" and Invites "Mad Max" along for the ride. :D Or it could turn out like "The Last American" and these people would find they are the only living beings left on the planet.

There is a new comic series called "The Last Zombie" which is based on that sort of thing, the zombies are all dying out (well, wearing out) and some military guy is looking to head across country to find his wife.

AcesandEights
17-Nov-2010, 07:17 PM

j.p.

This reminds me of the 'bird's eye view' of the apocalypse I've always wanted from someone who happened to be ensconced in one capacity or another on board one of those jets they use for Continuity of Government purposes (Not Air Force One though).

DjfunkmasterG
17-Nov-2010, 07:17 PM

j.p.

Funny you mention Greenbrier, some of Deadlands 3 was written with that in mind.... Lonnie Martin and I tackled that subject 3 years ago when penning the script together... we dropped it in favor of taming down the budget because I never felt like I was ever going to be able to raise the $1,000,000 needed to get it rolling, but the very original Deadlands 3 script, originally Deadlands 2, had scenes within Greenbrier.

LouCipherr
17-Nov-2010, 07:31 PM
I disagree. The more the phenomenon is left unexplained, the better. The moment it's explained and they can start figuring out a way to handle it is the moment they're not scary anymore..

I agree with this 1000%. I've always said, what made characters like Jason, Freddy and the like no longer scary is when the camera started following them around instead of the characters.

It's what you don't know that frightens you. Not the other way around. ;)

Danny
22-Nov-2010, 04:23 PM
How about not yet another thing about people stranded in a building arguing? romero did it half a century ago and its been beaten down so for its come up in china.
That and the whole virus and trope of the 'bite' scene has gotten so fucking old by now.

Sammich
23-Nov-2010, 01:52 AM
I would like to see a zombie apocalypse movie from government's point of view as they try to cover up then progess to futily try to contain an outbreak as society eventually falls into chaos. Show the arrogant senators and congressmen hiding out in the underground shelters while trying to maintain their lifestyles by making ridiculous demands for things like caviar while the regular citizens are getting eaten outside. Military and law enforcement increasingly deserting their posts. Stuff like that.

Gryphon
28-Nov-2010, 11:06 AM

j.p.

Have you ever read GAR's comic, "Toe Tags?" That happens in there. The main character is a zombie science-student who was killed and partially eaten, and his professor injects him with a serum that prevents his brain from decaying, restoring his personality.

MinionZombie
28-Nov-2010, 12:07 PM
Interesting you should mention this; one of the things I want to do sometime is get someone who kicks ass at 2D computer animation - like motion comic stuff - and put together an animated short (10 to 15 minutes) based on one of my short scripts that I wrote a while back, by the name of "The End" ... the purpose of the script being to define the look of "zombie epic", at least how I imagine it to be.

I'd love to be able to do that - a passion project sort of thing, and put it online and try to gain attention in a viral manner - for it to be a showcase for my writing and directed, and the animator's skills. Finding such a person (or persons) who'd do it for free, and be reliable enough to actually do it and not just half-ass it and leave it unfinished, is a problem though. But like I said, one of the outcomes would be a great way to 'show off' our skills and ideas - you don't get paid for passion projects after all, usually at least.

hadrian0117
09-Dec-2010, 04:00 AM
I too would love to see a zombie holocause from "the authorities" perspective. I also think a "War of the Worlds" type movie of fake news coverage of a zombie holocause; it'd start out with the first few confused reports (like of a rash of strange serial killings) and end when society's to far gone for even rudimentary media to function. You could do either straight newscasts (where the audience only sees exactly what in-universe viewers see) or include behind the scenes stuff with the journalists and support staff et al trying to deal with all the shit that's going down and keeping the station functioning.

It'd also be interesting to see something from the perspective of all the scientists who'd be pressed into studying zombies and frantically trying to figure out what the hell's going one. Including behavioral research with "live" specimans. We saw a little of that in Day, but I'm talking about setting an entire film in a fortified lab. They'd be relatively removed from the chaos, but resupply problems would gradually be getting worse and worse until everything collapses. I wouldn't have them lose contact with the outside world thouge. Thank's to modern satelite communications they'd remain in full contact with other outposts around the world; none of whom could actually do a single thing to help (other than moral support and data sharing) them. :elol:

And there's always the option of a mockumentary being done from the perspective of survivors long after the initial zombie outbreak/averted holocaust where we "won" in the end and civilization is recovering (in other words World War Z

Sammich
09-Dec-2010, 08:30 PM
I too would love to see a zombie holocause from "the authorities" perspective. I also think a "War of the Worlds" type movie of fake news coverage of a zombie holocause; it'd start out with the first few confused reports (like of a rash of strange serial killings) and end when society's to far gone for even rudimentary media to function. You could do either straight newscasts (where the audience only sees exactly what in-universe viewers see) or include behind the scenes stuff with the journalists and support staff et al trying to deal with all the shit that's going down and keeping the station functioning.

There was something like this in the extras section of the Dawn 04 dvd with Richard Biggs as the reporter.

MoonSylver
09-Dec-2010, 10:49 PM
http://files6.fliiby.com/images/_original/sqcbtoysdp.jpg

This. 'CUZ THIZ IZ TEH NEW HOTNESS YO!!!11ONE! :lol:

MinionZombie
10-Dec-2010, 08:49 AM
http://files6.fliiby.com/images/_original/sqcbtoysdp.jpg

This. 'CUZ THIZ IZ TEH NEW HOTNESS YO!!!11ONE! :lol:

lol'plosion! :D

Mike70
15-Dec-2010, 11:33 AM
i want to see a 2 hour running gun battle with zombies across a vast urban landscape. that is exactly what i want and want nothing else. constant, non-stop fucking mayhem from start to finish. i don't want to know anything about the characters, not even their names in most cases, or their fucking feelings, relationships or any of that sort of shit. i want violence and bloodshed for 120 mins.

i want to see an epic, epic battle played out against incredible odds - like a zombie roarke's drift.

bassman
15-Dec-2010, 12:08 PM
i want to see a 2 hour running gun battle with zombies across a vast urban landscape. that is exactly what i want and want nothing else. constant, non-stop fucking mayhem from start to finish. i don't want to know anything about the characters, not even their names in most cases, or their fucking feelings, relationships or any of that sort of shit. i want violence and bloodshed for 120 mins.

i want to see an epic, epic battle played out against incredible odds - like a zombie roarke's drift.

http://images.memegenerator.net/serious/ImageMacro/3070003/MediumThumbnail.jpg?instanceText=not-sure-if-serious

Gryphon
15-Dec-2010, 02:40 PM

Just watch the end of Army of Darkness over and over until you hit the 120 minute mark :P

DEAD BEAT
15-Dec-2010, 03:57 PM

What do you guys think?

I think that's exactly the problem my friend....as far as GAR's world goes, I don't want a dam thing changed! ;)

Wyldwraith
15-Dec-2010, 08:15 PM
@DJ:
I can think of ONE change to zombies that MIGHT, depending on how well it was handled, result in a successful sub-genre. In Dunwoody's novel Empire he does something different with his zombies. Essentially, upon reanimation a zombie is a typical GAR/TWD Shambler (maybe a little more like a Walker than a GAR-zombie, due to the getting somewhat faster near prey thing)...HOWEVER, should the zombie gain access to a significant amount of warm human flesh it can begin to regain PROBLEM SOLVING skills, NOT humanity/emotions etc. For example, in one of the early scenes of the novel the guy who shovels garbage at the local landfill gets bitten/killed and reanimates. He's dumb as any other GAR/TWD-zombie. When due to chance a dying man staggers into the landfill and is pounced on by "Landfill Zombie", after a significant portion of the victim's flesh is eaten, the body has gotten cold and begins to reanimate, Landfill Zombie loses interest. He then notices his shovel, and dimly puts 2 and 2 together to = Shovel = Can be used to more easily bring down Food. He then begins using the shovel as a bludgeon, and then gains a portion (other zombies in on this kill) of another victim, and then sometime later almost snags a young woman running from other zombies who eludes him and runs into the Utility Shed of the Landfill and locks it from the inside.

Landfill Zombie beats on door with his shovel for a while as he gnaws on a severed foot, but then in another vague flash "remembers" the keys in his front pocket, and in a very simple way that they could be used to get into the shed easier than beating on the door with a shovel. He then spends the next hour experimenting with the keys in various idiotic-but-methodical ways, until he finally by chance hits on the right method and gets the door unlocked. The girl manages to get by him and elude him again, but you see where this is going.

The key here is that Empire Zombies don't turn into Bub and they CERTAINLY DONT turn into Big Daddy. The virus/pathogen/whatever simply uses the consumed flesh as fuel to reactivate the most rudimentary of problem-solving skills. Turning doorknobs, levering a barricade, etc.

My explanation is REALLY MISSING SOMETHING. I advise you to simply read the book and you'll see what I mean. They're still the shambling ghouls we all know and love, but these cold emotionless progressions into better ways to get to human flesh makes them very chilling to read about, and probably even moreso to watch.

You asked, there's AN answer. Whether you like it may be another thing. I, however, feel that Dunwoody has in fact "Done something new under the sun" with zombies, and he did it in a way that doesnt give them superpowers, and doesnt make them Emo retards like Bub and Big Daddy.

My .02, your mileage may vary.

Rancid Carcass
15-Dec-2010, 11:01 PM
should the zombie gain access to a significant amount of warm human flesh it can begin to regain PROBLEM SOLVING skills.

ROTLD sort of did this with the brains thing - i believe the idea was that eating brains would make them smarter (as well as pain relief), but it got lost in a rewrite so it never came across on screen.

Thorn
16-Dec-2010, 01:30 PM

What do you guys think?

I like the genre where it is at, really I do not think much needs to "change". I can more easily say what I do not like.

1) Self aware, learning zombies. 'Damn I am dead I should sit in a freezer or I will rot!" "Hey you see that chick her butt is looking good, and practically no signs of decay!"
2) Running/Shrieking zombies. Raptor zombies for the loss.
3) Any kind of "super zombie" or "boss zombie" turns me right off. "Good thing these zombies are slow moving, we will just hole up in this farm house until this all blo... HOLY CRAP THAT ZOMBIE IS FLYING AND HAS LASERS"

I would rather see a refinement of the genre, where we get back to basics and focus more on what matters. The human condition, in a world over run by the living dead. I would also like to see areas explored in depth that have only been hinted at before, rate of decay, what enables them to loco mote, what fuels them. Not knowing these things are fine, but if we are going to add anything or change anything explaining these items would be preferable to me than them evolving.

Honestly I think a back to basics down and dirty start of the crisis tale where people learn as they go and fortify up or fight on the run is what I would most like to see.

bassman
16-Dec-2010, 02:23 PM
Honestly I think a back to basics down and dirty start of the crisis tale where people learn as they go and fortify up or fight on the run is what I would most like to see.

I hear AMC's got a new show that covers that sort of scenario. :cool::p

Mike70
16-Dec-2010, 03:26 PM
http://images.memegenerator.net/serious/ImageMacro/3070003/MediumThumbnail.jpg?instanceText=not-sure-if-serious

i've been figured out. damn.

krisvds
16-Dec-2010, 05:43 PM
I like the genre where it is at, really I do not think much needs to "change". I can more easily say what I do not like.

Agreed.
Actually I would like to see a TRUE western playing with the classic GAR zombie rules.
That or one set in medieval times, you know, a zombie plague hitting a fortified city.

mpokera
16-Dec-2010, 05:55 PM
Agreed.
Actually I would like to see a TRUE western playing with the classic GAR zombie rules.
That or one set in medieval times, you know, a zombie plague hitting a fortified city.

I know "300" with zombies! ;) seriously though, the "Zombie Survival Guide: Reported Attacks" has some of this type of scenario and very well imagined.

BillyRay
16-Dec-2010, 06:10 PM
I don't like running zombies, smart zombies, or supernatural-based zombies either; but it's folks experimenting with the genre that moves it forward.

I think placing zombies in different eras and locales than we've seen is one way to keep it fresh, just as throwing zombies into classic litrature or existing franchises has been pretty successful. But, regardless, folks shoudn't be afraid to try new things with the zombie.

Think about, if in 1968, monster movie fans saw Night of the Living Dead and said "Those aren't zombies - there's no mention at all of Voodoo. And don't get me started on the cannibalism. Zombies don't eat people! Why is this Romero character messing with something that walready orks so well?" We wouldn't have the genre we love so much today.

Not taking chances with the genre only lets it get stale.

krisvds
16-Dec-2010, 07:44 PM
I know "300" with zombies! ;) seriously though, the "Zombie Survival Guide: Reported Attacks" has some of this type of scenario and very well imagined.

Sparta didn't exist in medieval times.
Placing the Zombie in other genres could be quite cool though. Just picture a Godard like french talkie, Pierrot le Fou-style with shamblers moaning on and on while being filmed in different colored filters...

BillyRay
16-Dec-2010, 07:51 PM
Just picture a Godard like french talkie, Pierrot le Fou-style with shamblers moaning on and on while being filmed in different colored filters...

Try Les Revenants, (English language title: They Came Back).

No cannibalism or gore, but a really thinky approach to the genre.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/37/They_Came_Back_DVD.jpg/220px-They_Came_Back_DVD.jpg

krisvds
16-Dec-2010, 07:53 PM
Try Les Revenants, (English language title: They Came Back).

No cannibalism or gore, but a really thinky approach to the genre.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/37/They_Came_Back_DVD.jpg/220px-They_Came_Back_DVD.jpg

Wow. Never heard of this one. Will check it out. Sounds great.
Thx!!!

blind2d
17-Dec-2010, 01:23 AM
I want to see... a zombie fight a shark! <-- been done.
Oh, then... zombies in space! <-- been done.
Oh, then... zombies versus vampires! Wait... that's stupid...
Um... How about a show like 'Friends', but with zombies?!

Gryphon
17-Dec-2010, 02:05 AM
I want to see... a zombie fight a shark! <-- been done.
Oh, then... zombies in space! <-- been done.
Oh, then... zombies versus vampires! Wait... that's stupid...
Um... How about a show like 'Friends', but with zombies?!

"Smelly cat.... smelly cat.... who are they feeding you?"

JonOfTheShred
18-Dec-2010, 08:31 AM
Agreed.

Time period zombie flicks? I'm so down to see a bunch of those.

Thorn
21-Dec-2010, 01:38 PM
Agreed.

I would dig that myself, I had not thought of a western but I a mcurious to see how it would play out in medieval times and have given a lot of thought to it.

DjfunkmasterG
21-Dec-2010, 01:59 PM
Ummmm, didn't GAR try and do a Western and it failed on every level possible?

YEP, let us leave zombies out of Westerns

LouCipherr
21-Dec-2010, 02:49 PM
I wanna see zombies in the 4th dimension trying to eat time travellers.

Is that too much to ask?! :lol:

bassman
21-Dec-2010, 02:52 PM
I wanna see zombies in the 4th dimension trying to eat time travellers.

Is that too much to ask?! :lol:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4145/5063119138_aa11c31979.jpg

LouCipherr
21-Dec-2010, 03:34 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4145/5063119138_aa11c31979.jpg

See? Bassman is on this shit like white on rice - wtf is wrong with these zombie filmmakers (you included, Dj - where's your flux capacitor, hmmm??! :lol:)??

DjfunkmasterG
21-Dec-2010, 03:57 PM
See? Bassman is on this shit like white on rice - wtf is wrong with these zombie filmmakers (you included, Dj - where's your flux capacitor, hmmm??! :lol:)??

I got your flux capacitor right here :fin:

Trin
21-Dec-2010, 04:19 PM
*imagines an older GAR back in 2005 with a younger GAR showing him a fading picture of himself and a book of really, really bad movie revenues from 2005-2011*

Gryphon
21-Dec-2010, 04:48 PM
Ummmm, didn't GAR try and do a Western and it failed on every level possible?

YEP, let us leave zombies out of Westerns

Too late...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0495747/

LouCipherr
21-Dec-2010, 05:04 PM
I got your flux capacitor right here :fin:

Umm, that's a finger.

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2007/12/flux-capacitor.jpg
THAT is a flux capacitor. No wonder you haven't done time-travelling zombies yet. :lol:

krisvds
21-Dec-2010, 05:17 PM
Great Scott!!!!!!!
Kudos.

Anyhow, zombies in western settings have been done tastefully before: look up Ruskin - The devouring, a comic by Italian artists Paolo DiOrazio and ROberto Ricci, first published in Heavy Metal magazine of november 2003. A bit hard to find but,...

BTW, many spaghetti westerns have toyed with the idea of the 'hero' being an undead spirit coming back from the dead. 'And God Said To Cain' with Kinski for instance is a great marriage of classic Italian horror and the western.

LouCipherr
22-Dec-2010, 01:34 PM
Here's something I'd like to see as a zombie fan:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/Useless%20Shit%202/toystory-dead.jpg
:D

krisvds
22-Dec-2010, 03:37 PM

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/Useless%20Shit%202/toystory-dead.jpg

hahaha. "destroy . puncture "

Legion2213
23-Dec-2010, 10:11 AM

That is dripping with WIN! Brilliant. :D