PDA

View Full Version : most flawless on screen american accent?

acealive1
20-Nov-2010, 09:53 PM
just off the top of my head.....

bob hoskins ( didnt know he was english til a couple of years ago)

simon baker

boris kodjoe (coulda fooled me)

rachael taylor

carrie-anne moss

matt doran(mouse from the matrix)

hugo weaving

cillian murphy

anyone else got anything? :D

im just wondering how or why sam worthington gets so much work. his accent just slips right through plain as day. love his acting but come the fuck on.

MoonSylver
20-Nov-2010, 11:17 PM
Hugh Laurie (aka House). Great actor. Talented guy all 'round. (I've heard people say he sounds like he's doing a Nicholson impersonation. I don't hear it).

Christian Bale.

acealive1
21-Nov-2010, 12:01 AM
Hugh Laurie (aka House). Great actor. Talented guy all 'round. (I've heard people say he sounds like he's doing a Nicholson impersonation. I don't hear it).

Christian Bale.

very nice ones. i thought hugh was american til i saw him on leno. i was shocked cuz certain words are a dead give away. bale had me as well.

Purge
21-Nov-2010, 05:21 PM
Bale for sure. He really did walk and talk like one of those Wall Street douchebags in AP.

Yojimbo
21-Nov-2010, 06:54 PM
It is weird how the British actors can do an american accent so well, yet none of the American actors seem to be able to do a British accent at all. Pitt comes to mind.

(I realize that there are different accents that Americans kind of lump into the catchall category of "British" but still none of the American actors seem to be able to replicate any of them with any sort of believability)

MoonSylver
21-Nov-2010, 07:09 PM
It is weird how the British actors can do an american accent so well, yet none of the American actors seem to be able to do a British accent at all. Pitt comes to mind.

I thought his Italian accent in "Inglorius Basterds" was pretty good...

http://clothesonfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Inglourious-Basterds_Brad-Pitt_white-tuxedo-jacket.bmp-499x210.jpg

"Bon-joor-no!"

"Grat-zi!"

:lol:

acealive1
21-Nov-2010, 07:41 PM
Bale for sure. He really did walk and talk like one of those Wall Street douchebags in AP.

gary oldman needs some work tho........ when he yelled in the dark knight, his accent ripped right through

bassman
21-Nov-2010, 07:57 PM
gary oldman needs some work tho........ when he yelled in the dark knight, his accent ripped right through

True Romance. Gangsta."White boyee" :lol:

Tricky
21-Nov-2010, 08:32 PM
I think the cast of "Band of Brothers" did a stirling job considering a lot of the guys playing americans were actually Brits. And of course Andrew Lincoln seems to be doing a good job in "the walking dead". I'll agree that Americans cant do British accents very well though, it seems they all think we talk like 1940's RAF pilots or upper class twits, and they never manage regional accents which there are a lot of in the UK.

acealive1
21-Nov-2010, 09:14 PM
I think the cast of "Band of Brothers" did a stirling job considering a lot of the guys playing americans were actually Brits. And of course Andrew Lincoln seems to be doing a good job in "the walking dead". I'll agree that Americans cant do British accents very well though, it seems they all think we talk like 1940's RAF pilots or upper class twits, and they never manage regional accents which there are a lot of in the UK.

i KNEW he was a brit! i had my suspicions when he first opened his mouth. eh oh well.

oh one more. hugh jackman. GREAT accent

Tricky
21-Nov-2010, 10:03 PM
i KNEW he was a brit! i had my suspicions when he first opened his mouth. eh oh well.

Here he is (much younger) in the role that made him famous in the 90's as "egg" in This Life, speaking in his native accent :p
Vv0kXEgVdtQ

acealive1
21-Nov-2010, 10:20 PM
Here he is (much younger) in the role that made him famous in the 90's as "egg" in This Life, speaking in his native accent :p
Vv0kXEgVdtQ

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

wayzim
23-Nov-2010, 01:45 AM
Emma Thompson as a Hilary Clinton clone in Primary Colors. She also did a more neutral accent for then hubby, Kenneth Branaugh's Reincarnation flick Dead Again, for which he also did some kind of gumshoe dialect.
Maggie Smith usually does Southern drawl, like in Divine Secrets of The YaYa Sisterhood.
Brian Cox (The original Hannibal Lector in Michael Mann's Manhunter ) has done alot of Hollywood films with assorted American accents.
The best Brit impersonation by an American actor(at least according to his English Costars )was Brad Dourif as Wormtongue in The Lord of The Rings;The Two Towers. He never broke character during the shoot so folks never realized he wasn't.

Wayne Z

---------- Post added 22-Nov-2010 at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was 21-Nov-2010 at 08:56 PM ----------

Emma Thompson as a Hilary Clinton clone in Primary Colors. She also did a more neutral accent for then hubby, Kenneth Branaugh's Reincarnation flick Dead Again, for which he also did some kind of gumshoe dialect.
Maggie Smith usually does Southern drawl, like in Divine Secrets of The YaYa Sisterhood.
Brian Cox (The original Hannibal Lector in Michael Mann's Manhunter ) has done alot of Hollywood films with assorted American accents.
The best Brit impersonation by an American actor(at least according to his English Costars )was Brad Dourif as Wormtongue in The Lord of The Rings;The Two Towers. He never broke character during the shoot so folks never realized he wasn't.

Wayne Z

Oh, and I did want to mention Toni Collette in The Sixth Sense for a spot on Philly accent, as well as Cate Blanchett in 'The Aviator. ' who did a bang up job as Katherine Hepburn, opposite Leonardo DeCaprio's Howard Hughes.

Wayne Z

Danny
23-Nov-2010, 01:49 AM
i cannot fathom how people think house is a good american accent, thats the voice i do when i'm being sarcastic about a character from an american tv show.

acealive1
23-Nov-2010, 02:28 AM
i cannot fathom how people think house is a good american accent, thats the voice i do when i'm being sarcastic about a character from an american tv show.

good as in the regular accent doesnt creep through

clanglee
23-Nov-2010, 03:37 AM
I always thought Cary Elwes did a great american accent.

-- -------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

It is weird how the British actors can do an american accent so well, yet none of the American actors seem to be able to do a British accent at all.

Oi!!! We diasagree!!! http://musically.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/spinal-tap.jpg

Also, There's Gwenneth Paltrow and Renee Zelwegger. They are both quite good I think. . .

acealive1
23-Nov-2010, 04:25 AM
I always thought Cary Elwes did a great american accent.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Oi!!! We diasagree!!! http://musically.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/spinal-tap.jpg

Also, There's Gwenneth Paltrow and Renee Zelwegger. They are both quite good I think. . .

i could never quite get cary.......i never knew if he was a yank playing a brit of vice versa. his accent was perfect in twister. and yes st hubbins was damn good LOL also zelwegger was

MoonSylver
23-Nov-2010, 05:57 AM
Oi!!! We diasagree!!! http://musically.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/spinal-tap.jpg.

FUCK YEAH!!! ROCK!!!!

http://www.smileyhut.com/smileys/headbang.gif

http://ragmamarag.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/_az_thebeavis_images_headbang.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_szAsHRaK00g/SWzEXPT-P9I/AAAAAAAAACA/f7VdoZge1Io/S1600-R/Heavy_Metal1.jpg

http://showsinlasvegas.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/barry-manilow1.jpg

:lol:

acealive1
03-Dec-2010, 11:58 PM
ok......so maybe i was wrong about bale......i remember a scene from Terminator Salvation during the "stay the course" speech where his accent comes straight through.

L4Z_HfefM1A

pretty obvious where....just listen to how he says "connor"

and one more addition.....scott speedman....i seriously thought he was american

acealive1
12-Dec-2010, 05:34 PM
well shit on a shingle.....i got another one. james mcavoy

shootemindehead
13-Dec-2010, 01:19 PM
Dominic West who played Jimmy McNulty in 'The Wire' was pretty convincing. In fact, I thought he was Irish/American, until I heard an interview with him.

bassman
13-Dec-2010, 01:36 PM
It's a period accent, but I love Daniel Day Lewis' way of speaking in There Will Be Blood.

And I'm surprised this one hasn't been mentioned - Mel Gibson. That guy just straight up became an american. :lol:

MoonSylver
13-Dec-2010, 06:03 PM
It's a period accent, but I love Daniel Day Lewis' way of speaking in There Will Be Blood.

Last of the Mohicans too. He was so good in that movie. :thumbsup:

LouCipherr
13-Dec-2010, 06:50 PM
It is weird how the British actors can do an american accent so well, yet none of the American actors seem to be able to do a British accent at all.

I couldn't agree more. Watching an American trying to be "British" is almost always laughable, yet the brits seem to nail the american accent more than the other way around. No idea why...?

clanglee
13-Dec-2010, 09:27 PM
Last of the Mohicans too. He was so good in that movie. :thumbsup:

Ohhhhh. . .and Gangs of New York. . .let's not forget that one. Daniel Day-Lewis is the man though.

acealive1
26-Dec-2010, 03:45 PM
martin crewes in resident evil

SymphonicX
26-Dec-2010, 04:29 PM
Best US Accent? I refer you to Band of Brothers....all pretty good eh??

But you know what, sometimes I hear an actor do an American accent but I realise that I wouldn't have as finer ear for this stuff as an American doing a British accent - the only OK one is Natalie Portman in....The Other Boelynn Girl - no not V for Vendetta - that accent was terrible.

I'm sure the US accents have such small intricacies that someone like me just won't be able to hear it and comment on what I think is flawless - all it takes is a small drop or adding of a sylabel and the whole thing falls over....

Xtian Bale tho - TERRIBLE!

EvilNed
26-Dec-2010, 04:33 PM
Ohhhhh. . .and Gangs of New York. . .let's not forget that one. Daniel Day-Lewis is the man though.

Amen! This guy wins every competition, hands down. I love that film, mostly because of The Butcher.

JonOfTheShred
26-Dec-2010, 07:46 PM
Christopher Walken

acealive1
27-Dec-2010, 08:04 PM
Best US Accent? I refer you to Band of Brothers....all pretty good eh??

But you know what, sometimes I hear an actor do an American accent but I realise that I wouldn't have as finer ear for this stuff as an American doing a British accent - the only OK one is Natalie Portman in....The Other Boelynn Girl - no not V for Vendetta - that accent was terrible.

I'm sure the US accents have such small intricacies that someone like me just won't be able to hear it and comment on what I think is flawless - all it takes is a small drop or adding of a sylabel and the whole thing falls over....

Xtian Bale tho - TERRIBLE!

portman isnt american.....

bassman
27-Dec-2010, 08:53 PM
portman isnt american.....

She's Israeli-American, born in Israel but then moved to the American East Coast where she spent the majority of her childhood. So her natural tongue is an American Accent.

Wikipedia. Gotta love it.

clanglee
28-Dec-2010, 12:18 AM
I think Robert Downey Junior and Kevin Kline both do great british accents. . . . . .sorry. . just rewatched Chaplin last night.

acealive1
28-Dec-2010, 11:23 PM
She's Israeli-American, born in Israel but then moved to the American East Coast where she spent the majority of her childhood. So her natural tongue is an American Accent.

aw dats so sweet.

bassman
29-Dec-2010, 12:19 PM
aw dats so sweet.

http://www.healthbolt.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/huh.jpg

acealive1
30-Dec-2010, 01:40 AM
http://www.healthbolt.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/huh.jpg

cmon,slappy. why the insult?

bassman
30-Dec-2010, 01:47 AM
cmon,slappy. why the insult?

What insult? What do you mean it's so sweet? You baffle me from time to time...

acealive1
30-Dec-2010, 10:00 AM
What insult? What do you mean it's so sweet? You baffle me from time to time...

im sure im not the only one who can read your comments and be offended,dude.

bassman
30-Dec-2010, 10:45 PM
im sure im not the only one who can read your comments and be offended,dude.

Please.....explain to me what was offensive? In detail, if you don't mind. Because you've got me confused yet again. All I wanted to know is what you meant by the so sweet thing...

clanglee
31-Dec-2010, 12:04 AM

Well as wee can see here. . you obviously insulted acealive's mother and called her a jew hatin' pig dog. Not very nice of you Bass.

acealive1
31-Dec-2010, 06:43 PM
Well as wee can see here. . you obviously insulted acealive's mother and called her a jew hatin' pig dog. Not very nice of you Bass.

cmon dude this is serious!! *tries not to laugh* LOL

DjfunkmasterG
05-Jan-2011, 02:22 PM
Even I am offended.... because... well... truthfully.... its the IN thing. :lol: :fin:

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Dominic West who played Jimmy McNulty in 'The Wire' was pretty convincing. In fact, I thought he was Irish/American, until I heard an interview with him.

Jimmy McNulty is the fucking man.... His Bal'more accent is alsmot spot on... One episode he has to play a british executive looking for a good time with some call girls and when he was trying to fake the British Accent it was hilarious... then we he arrives at the hotel he goes into Dominic West mode and it comes out spot on :lol:

acealive1
13-Feb-2011, 09:47 PM
just watched Faster and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje's accent is flawless
(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0015382/)

krakenslayer
14-Feb-2011, 11:16 AM
Jeff Bridges in True Grit. Yes, I know he's American but his Arkansas (?) accent was good to the point that I literally didn't understand 80% of what he was saying, and had to infer it from other characters' responses.

Come on Hollywood, if it's true that Transpotting was subtitled in the US, then it's only fair that True Grit be subtitled in the UK. :p

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Please.....explain to me what was offensive? In detail, if you don't mind. Because you've got me confused yet again. All I wanted to know is what you meant by the so sweet thing...

This whole conversation has me stumped too.

bassman
14-Feb-2011, 12:19 PM
Andrew Garfield(new Spiderman) in The Social Network. I never considered that he may not be American until I watched the special features. Fooled me.

I apologize in advance if this post offends anyone. :confused:

AcesandEights
14-Feb-2011, 01:35 PM
Jimmy McNulty is the fucking man.... His Bal'more accent is alsmot spot on...

This, a thousand times this! He nailed the accent, even though I don't know enough about mid-Atlantic accents myself to peg it as Baltimore specific. West did a great job filling out a fantastic character--almost the quintessential fuck up, married to his job cop who still has a shred of his idealism to hang his hat on at the end of the day and he couldn't have done it without the excellent 'American' accent.

acealive1
27-Mar-2011, 05:58 AM
sam neil in jurassic park.