PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 celebrates it's 5th birthday; how many have you owned?

CoinReturn
22-Nov-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm on my third, non-slim model. Here's to another 5 years of disk read errors, red rings of death, and that bitter feeling of conceding to Microsoft because the software library is so good! :D

Cheers!

bassman
23-Nov-2010, 12:08 AM
One....

Mr. Clean
23-Nov-2010, 01:22 AM
I was one of the late bloomers of the 3rd generation consoles. I bought a Xbox 360 Arcade edition and haven't had any problems with mine as of yet. The original xbox was first manufactured in Mexico and had problems with the disc drive and hard drive. I believe something similar happened with the xbox 360 but was pertaining to the solder.

slickwilly13
23-Nov-2010, 01:31 AM
I am on my third. It is the red RE 5 edition. Best of the fatter 360's.

Danny
23-Nov-2010, 01:46 AM
3rd, a slim. if this breaks, they get no more money from me regardless of friends and online.

ProfessorChaos
23-Nov-2010, 02:13 AM
bought mine in nov 07, had the RROD in early 09 if i recall, got if fixed, still working.

MikePizzoff
23-Nov-2010, 02:19 AM
4th. I'm with Danny on this one - if this one goes, I may convert to PS3.

Danny
23-Nov-2010, 03:01 AM
4th. I'm with Danny on this one - if this one goes, I may convert to PS3.

already got one and more of my friends are getting them as cheap blu-ray players. in fact only 7 friends of mine are still 360 exclusive. if they go i have no reason to play my 360 anymore.

MinionZombie
23-Nov-2010, 10:19 AM
already got one and more of my friends are getting them as cheap blu-ray players. in fact only 7 friends of mine are still 360 exclusive. if they go i have no reason to play my 360 anymore.

A PS3 ... a cheap Blu-Ray player?! :rockbrow:

Got my BR player for £100. No PS3 is that cheap. Not to mention the sheer inefficiency (and therefore extra cost on the electricity bill) of using a console - any console - as a movie player.

+1 for the avatar though, hellsing. :cool:

Anyway ... got my Xbox360 in 2007, before newer models were put on the market, so mine was one of the early generations. After nine months it had a motherboard error (probably to do with the soldering) and the visuals buggered up. Then about 2 years after that (earlier this year, around March sometime) it did the same thing again, but on top of that the disc tray kept sticking, and it was increasingly having trouble reading data properly (particularly on games such as GTA IV - even though I was clearing the cache, which usually did the trick) - so because it was two issues, they gave me a replacement - but a refurbished replacement.

Not a used refurbishment, but seemingly one that had been on their shelves since launch day and was for one reason or another a 'fail out of the box' or something - so they have a back room of consoles with one thing broken in them - they replace the one broken thing and so it's not a usual refurb, but it's also not brand new.

So I'm onto my second now. First one lasted me just shy of 3 years (yes, I did get an extended warranty, which I did get to use).

One question about the Slim models - there's a cable to transfer data from a 'fat 360' HDD to a 'slim 360' HDD, but what about folks like me who don't have a HDD and merely a couple of memory units? How would the data from those be transferred to a 360 Slim?

Danny
23-Nov-2010, 11:03 AM
A PS3 ... a cheap Blu-Ray player?! :rockbrow:

Got my BR player for £100. No PS3 is that cheap. Not to mention the sheer inefficiency (and therefore extra cost on the electricity bill) of using a console - any console - as a movie player.

+1 for the avatar though, hellsing. :cool:

you can get em per-owned for like 110 round here, and its not just a barebones player, its got the game console, the internet browser, the i player, total film now as the uk netflix equivalent, built in wifi unlike none slim 360s, already ready for 3d blu-rays, soon theres a service coming in europe only so we can watch free indie and art house cinema like film 4 for free and its gonna be adding a freeview thing in as well. id say those extras and more are worth the extra tenner- that and you know sony aint gonna abandon it or go bankrupt one day so you can get it repaired or replaced.

still im not jizzing all over it but unlike my xbox it does more varied stuff thats not bollocks like facebook and twitter and its all free and ive never had a fault.

-and hell yes its a good avatar, the last alan wake dlc got me on a big twin peaks kick again. totally rad show.

Andy
23-Nov-2010, 01:13 PM
Second one, my first was one of the first gen 360's, got it bundled with dead rising, gears of war and dead alive 4 back in '06. She lasted til 2009 then red ringed, went out and bought xbox number 2 the same day and its still working to this day.

blind2d
23-Nov-2010, 01:52 PM
Zero, reason being, I'm a loyal Nintendork. Also, I heard they break down too much. And I heard they have Halo... which is lame.
Also, my Gamecube still works, so why would I need another system?

bassman
23-Nov-2010, 01:59 PM
Also, my Gamecube still works, so why would I need another system?

Because they no longer make games for the Gamecube? :rockbrow:

AcesandEights
23-Nov-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm also on my second. Don't regret having to go to a second unit, but if it happens again I'll be supremely, dragons-breath pissed.

*knocks on wood*

darth los
23-Nov-2010, 02:19 PM
@ blind.

Ok then...:rockbrow:

I'm on my second. I got mine in the second wave, after launch in early 06'. Condemed was the first game I played on it and it's been a joyride ever since.

It started to break down on the buggy vissual side in late 09', so I'm on my second.

:cool:

LouCipherr
23-Nov-2010, 04:29 PM
One. Have had to send it back THREE goddamn times due to the RROD. If it goes up again, I might buy one of the newer ones coming out at the end of the year, but if they haven't fixed this RROD problem with that one, I will gladly throw it off the top of a 20 story building and never look back.

...and there's no way in shit I'll ever buy a PS3. $ony has pissed me off enough to steer me away from ANY of their products in the future.

darth los
23-Nov-2010, 04:43 PM
Well, they are getting better and better. Plus netflix is a more pleasurable experience on the ps3. They have a search feature, which should be standard, that the 360 does not boast, among other things.

MinionZombie
23-Nov-2010, 05:00 PM
you can get em per-owned for like 110 round here, and its not just a barebones player, its got the game console, the internet browser, the i player, total film now as the uk netflix equivalent, built in wifi unlike none slim 360s, already ready for 3d blu-rays, soon theres a service coming in europe only so we can watch free indie and art house cinema like film 4 for free and its gonna be adding a freeview thing in as well. id say those extras and more are worth the extra tenner- that and you know sony aint gonna abandon it or go bankrupt one day so you can get it repaired or replaced.

still im not jizzing all over it but unlike my xbox it does more varied stuff thats not bollocks like facebook and twitter and its all free and ive never had a fault.

-and hell yes its a good avatar, the last alan wake dlc got me on a big twin peaks kick again. totally rad show.

Pre-owned PS3 ... and all that other stuff is only any good if you're gonna use it.

I got my Samsung BR player for £100 and it came with 6 free BRs, which added up to around £60 worth of BRs (online prices too). So it's not some Morrison's own brand bit of junk, and not some shonky company either (thinking about it, my Samsung DVD player from 2002 is still going strong :)), and a PS3 might be able to update itself to play 3D BRs ... but your telly sure as hell ain't capable of that :sneaky: ... and PS3s are still incredibly inefficient (like 360s and Wiis) for playing movies ... won't someone think of the trees, or polar bears, or you know, stuff?! :D

Yes. Twin Peaks is totally rad. I'd never seen it until just recently when the Horror Channel started showing it all from the beginning (I've done Season One, and the first episode of Season Two so far ... I didn't record the prequel movie though, to save for afterwards, as I didn't know they were showing the show like they're doing now) ... so it's still all very mysterious for me right now, and I'm totally digging it ... so please people, everyone, no Twin Peaks spoilers. Cheers.

MikePizzoff
23-Nov-2010, 06:11 PM
Well, they are getting better and better. Plus netflix is a more pleasurable experience on the ps3. They have a search feature, which should be standard, that the 360 does not boast, among other things.

I guess you haven't been on 360's Netflix since the update 3 weeks ago? You can search on it now.

darth los
23-Nov-2010, 06:26 PM
I guess you haven't been on 360's Netflix since the update 3 weeks ago? You can search on it now.

No I haven't. It being butt ugly isn't helping matters any.

Ps3's screen is just more aesthetically pleasing to look at.

LouCipherr
23-Nov-2010, 06:40 PM

What more do you need other than, point to a movie, click, play? :lol:

Even so, it still wouldn't make me buy a PS3. Hell darth, you could give me $400 and I'd still spend it on something else other than a PS3. :D

darth los
23-Nov-2010, 07:10 PM
What more do you need other than, point to a movie, click, play? :lol:

Even so, it still wouldn't make me buy a PS3. Hell darth, you could give me $400 and I'd still spend it on something else other than a PS3. :D

Wpold this be one of the items?

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/baconator.jpg

ProfessorChaos
23-Nov-2010, 09:10 PM
^

doubt it...the bacon-to-beef ratio is too fucked for lou to bother with that.

LouCipherr
24-Nov-2010, 01:41 PM
^

doubt it...the bacon-to-beef ratio is too fucked for lou to bother with that.

What he said, darth... not enough BACON! :lol: :D