PDA

View Full Version : N. Korea Fires on S. Korea (Yes, Really)

JDFP
23-Nov-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm not an expert, but this can't be a good thing:

North Korea Fires On Island in South, 2 Dead

Published November 23, 2010 | Associated Press

SEOUL, South Korea -- North Korea bombarded a South Korean island near their disputed western border Tuesday, setting buildings ablaze and killing at least two marines and injuring 16 others after warning the South to halt military drills in the area, South Korean officials said.

South Korea said it returned fire and scrambled fighter jets in response, and said the "inhumane" attack on civilian areas violated the 1953 armistice halting the Korean War. The two sides technically remain at war because a peace treaty was never negotiated.

The United Nations Security Council could hold an emergency meeting in the next day or two over the attack, saying "It's in the works for either today or tomorrow. We are for it and planning is ongoing," Reuters reports.

The United States, which has tens of thousands of troops stationed in South Korea, condemned the attack and called on North Korea to "halt its belligerent action," White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said in Washington. He said the United States is "firmly committed" to South Korea's defense, and to the "maintenance of regional peace and stability."

The North's artillery struck the small South Korean-held island of Yeonpyeong, which houses military installations and a small civilian population and which has been the focus of two previous deadly battles between the Koreas.

A senior military official tells Fox News "no one is interested in escalating this, but we are taking this very seriously."

Two South Korean marines were killed, three were seriously wounded and 10 slightly wounded, a Joint Chiefs of Staff official said. Island residents were escaping to about 20 shelters in the island while sporadic shelling continued, the military official said.

North Korea's supreme military command threatened to continue military strikes against South Korea if it violated their disputed sea border "even 0.001 millimeter," according to the North's official Korean Central News Agency.

The firing came amid South Korean military drills in the area. North Korea's military had sent a message to South Korea's armed forces early Tuesday to demand that the drills stop, but the South continued them, another military official said.

During the drills, South Korean marines on the island shot artillery toward southern waters, away from North Korea, the official said.

Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity, citing military rules.

South Korean military official Lee Hong-ki said the North's premeditated bombardments struck civilian areas and were "inhumane atrocities." There are about 30 small islands around the Yeonpyeong, and tension runs high in the area because of its proximity to North Korea. Yeonpyeong is known for its crab fishing.

After the North's barrages, South Korea responded by firing K-9 155mm self-propelled howitzers, military officials said, but declined to say whether North Korean territory was hit.

YTN TV said several houses on Yeonpyeong were on fire and that shells were still falling on the island, which is about 75 miles (120 kilometers) west of the coast. The station broadcast pictures of thick columns of black smoke rising from the island, which has a population of 1,200 to 1,300. Screams and chaotic shouts could be heard on the video.

Lee Chun-ok, a 54-year-old island resident, said she was watching TV when she heard sounds of artillery and a wall and door in her home suddenly collapsed.

"I though I would die," Lee said from the port city of Incheon, west of Seoul, where she evacuated. "I was really, really terrified, and I'm still terrified."

Relations between the divided Koreas sank to their lowest point in years after the deadly sinking in March of a South Korean warship near the tense Korean sea border, which killed 46 sailors. Seoul blamed a North Korean torpedo, while Pyongyang has denied any responsibility.

President Lee Myung-bak ordered officials to "sternly respond" to North Korea's action but also called on officials to make sure that the "situation would not escalate," according to a presidential official. He asked not to be identified, citing the issue's sensitivity.

Lee was holding a security meeting in a presidential situation room, the official said.

China, which is the North's economic and political benefactor while maintaining robust commercial ties with the South, called for calm.

"We express our concern over the situation. The situation is to be verified," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said at a regularly scheduled media briefing in Beijing. He called on both Koreas without naming them "to do more to contribute to peace and stability on the peninsula."

In a message to North Korea's armed forces, South Korea's military urged the North to stop provocations and warned of strong measures unless the North stopped, a Joint Chiefs of Staff official said.

The countries' western maritime boundary has long been a flash point between the two Koreas. The North does not recognize the border that was unilaterally drawn by the United Nations at the close of the 1950-53 Korean War.

North and South Korea have fought three bloody skirmishes near the maritime border in recent years, most recently in November 2009. That battle left one North Korean officer dead and three others wounded, according to South Korean officials.

Two deadly clashes have previously erupted around Yeonpyeong. In a gunbattle in June 2002, one South Korean warship sank, killing six sailors. The North said it also suffered casualties, but didn't confirm how many. In a 1999 clash, South Korea said several sailors were wounded, and that up to 30 North Koreans died.

In a sign of North Korea's anger over the South Korean drills, North Korea's state news agency said in a dispatch Monday that South Korea was readying war games with the United States for aggressive purposes against North Korea. The dispatch quoted what it said were sympathetic Swiss groups that called the drills "a criminal act of aggression for provoking another Korean war."

The existence of North Korea's new uranium enrichment facility came to light over the weekend after Pyongyang showed it to a visiting American nuclear scientist, claiming that the highly sophisticated operation had 2,000 completed centrifuges. Top U.S. military officials warn that it could speed the North's ability to make and deliver viable nuclear weapons.

The military tensions between the two Koreas also comes amid a visit to the region by U.S. special envoy on North Korea, Stephen Bosworth. He held talks with South Korean officials Monday and was also scheduled to meet officials in China.

j.p.

childofgilead
23-Nov-2010, 01:37 PM
No, it's anything but a good thing. Especially since the incident in March wasn't countered. This is either a thumbing of the nose by the North or the prelude to something else.

AcesandEights
23-Nov-2010, 02:18 PM
I just got done fact checking this report (Sorry, JP, after you head-faked me with your Pilato/TWD thread title, I had to ;)) and we could be in for some shit.

If North Korea moves on South Korea, even if this s just a continuation in the slow escalation, it really could be another notch marking the downward spiral of American empire.

JDFP
23-Nov-2010, 03:05 PM
I just got done fact checking this report (Sorry, JP, after you head-faked me with your Pilato/TWD thread title, I had to ;)) and we could be in for some shit.

If North Korea moves on South Korea, even if this s just a continuation in the slow escalation, it really could be another notch marking the downward spiral of American empire.

Hurt my feelings (sniffle) having to fact check something I wrote. Don't you know I always speak ex cathedra? Really though, I'd tell if I was kidding (as I did in that post on Pilato just to grab attention). Unfortunately, this isn't a joke.

Honestly, this scares me a bit. A war with N. Korea would be extremely nasty and extremely expensive. The 7th Fleet is off the coast of Japan and I'm sure they would be itching to have some fun with Korea, but a war would be absolutely devestating for the South Korean people. In addition, could we really sustain a long-term war (which it would be) with another country with having troops already deployed in Afghanistan and Iraq as well? Oy vey.

Me thinks Uncle Kim knows all this already and is pushing the envelope just because he knows he can believing we won't do anything (which hopefully we won't have to) in return.

j.p.

Tricky
23-Nov-2010, 04:34 PM
I reckon its just more willy waving from the Norks because of Kims son poising to take over the reins, cant see it escalating any further to be honest, but i could be wrong!

MikePizzoff
23-Nov-2010, 07:44 PM
Scary shit, man. Apparently the last time North Korea artillery struck South Korea was back in the 1950's. Lets hope this all fizzles out somehow and doesn't play out like so:

South Korea - Don't hurt us, we just want to train our military.

North Korea - Silence! (more artillery)

United States - Hey, you can't do that! Let's kick some ass!

North Korea - The world ends... NOW!!!

http://jkbaker.com/gallery/d/583-1/nuke.gif

JDFP
23-Nov-2010, 08:05 PM
I think Japan should export a "Special Present" to Kim Jong-Il fitting for the Supreme Leader.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mP9epMmnHOg/SlJUHzEODLI/AAAAAAAABOs/VQr3GaYJkfk/s400/godzilla.jpg

j.p.

Tricky
23-Nov-2010, 10:10 PM
I reckon in the first few days of a war in Korea if it actually kicked off more than this tit for tat posturing, the NK would make good progress, then they would get absolutely annihilated by a NATO, ROK and UN ground force counter attack, who for once would get to fight a conventional war with all the big shiny toys they cant use in Afghanistan, against the NK's 80's/90's soviet arsenal. As long as China stayed out of it I reckon it would be over fairly quickly, and doubt there would be much insurgency from the malnourished civilians of NK...

acealive1
23-Nov-2010, 10:20 PM
just send in one harrier, one raptor and one new stealth bomber.....north korea will shit.

MoonSylver
23-Nov-2010, 10:25 PM
I think Japan should export a "Special Present" to Kim Jong-Il fitting for the Supreme Leader.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mP9epMmnHOg/SlJUHzEODLI/AAAAAAAABOs/VQr3GaYJkfk/s400/godzilla.jpg

j.p.

http://ravenrepublic.net/forums/images/smilies/worship.gifhttp://ravenrepublic.net/forums/images/smilies/worship.gifhttp://ravenrepublic.net/forums/images/smilies/worship.gif

This whole thing has me nervious, but any excuse to post a picture of Godzilla is a good one IMO. :)

childofgilead
24-Nov-2010, 01:32 AM
Heh heh, always nice to see the king of the monsters..

But in all seriousness, we have soldiers stationed at the DMZ, total force something like 30,000..they're always there, along with our South Korean allies at the Joint Security Area facing the North Koreans.

The Korean War has always interested me, as my grandfather fought in it..it seems like it's our forgotten war or something, but I find the history and politics surrounding it fascinating..

Here's a great wiki article detailing past North Korean incursions and it even gives some details into the tunnels built by NK for presumed invasion forces..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_(Korea)

Mr. Clean
24-Nov-2010, 02:00 AM
Do I think it would be the End of the World? Not so much. This much I do know.

North Korea has enough troops/civilians to over-run South Korea. We wouldn't have a problem removing North Korea off Globe unless the Chinese stick their head into the battle. Then we would most likely experience World War III.

MikePizzoff
24-Nov-2010, 12:01 PM
With all of the nukes, and even "dirty" bombs, that North Korea claims to have - this could easily turn into something very ugly and/or scary. I imagine the feeling of dread people had in the 50's/60's arising again.

It all makes me pretty uneasy. But who knows, South Korea might just put it's tail between it's legs and take the hit.

Kaos
03-Dec-2010, 06:31 PM
Kim Jong Il Unfolds Into Giant Robot

November 23, 2010 | ISSUE 39•02 (http://www.theonion.com/issue/3902/) The Onion

PYONGYANG, NORTH KOREA—Responding to mounting pressure and increasingly confrontational rhetoric from the outside world, North Korean president Kim Jong Il unfolded into a 70-foot-tall, 62-ton giant robot Monday.

http://o.onionstatic.com/images/articles/article/8/Kim-Jong-Il-Unfolds-C_jpg_250x1000_q85.jpg

Kim Jong Il marches through the streets of Pyongyang.

"The DPRK's nuclear program is very much its own business, as is its right to determine its own path of security," said Kim, his torso splitting along ventral seams as clusters of Taepo-Dong ICBMs rose from his shoulders. "Any attempt by Washington to decide our fate will surely result in a sea of fire being unleashed upon them."

As his arms and legs sheathed themselves in bulletproof Mecha-Muscle telescoping outward from his chest, Kim reiterated his refusal to bow to international demands.
"Constant criticism from outside indicates mistrust of our promise to refrain from missile tests," said Kim, speaking over the mechanical shriek of wingblades sprouting from his back. "Only trust from the U.S. that we will keep our word can prevent World War III."

"The imperialist West is holding my country to standards which it does not see fit to meet itself," continued Kim, his voice now a metallic, digitized boom emanating from somewhere within the titanium helmet sheathing his head. "This does not surprise me, as they are well-famed for their lies."

"Pyongyang Dynamo Power Punch!" added Kim, as he released his fist-modules skyward with twin robotic uppercuts.

While the Obama Administration remains publicly confident that a diplomatic solution can be reached, top officials admit that the situation has become more complicated.

http://o.onionstatic.com/images/articles/article/8/Kim-Jong-Il-Unfolds-Jump-C_jpg_250x1000_q85.jpg (http://www.theonion.com/articles/kim-jong-il-unfolds-into-giant-robot,8/#enlarge)

A South Korean border soldier eyes Kim Jong Il in the Demilitarized Zone.

"If we add Kim Jong Il's transformation into a giant robot to his already defiant isolationist stance and his country's known nuclear capability, the diplomatic terrain definitely becomes more rocky," U.S. envoy James Kelly said. "Kim has made it clear that, if sufficiently threatened, he will not hesitate to use nuclear weapons or his arm-mounted HyperBazooka."

Added Kelly: "We are also forced to consider the possibility that Kim may attempt to robo-meld with other members of the Axis of Evil, forming a MegaMecha-Optima-Robosoldier. Kim would make a powerful right arm—or even a torso—for such a mechanism."

During a visit Monday to the Demilitarized Zone dividing the Korean peninsula, Kim stressed that his transformation was not an act of aggression, but rather an attempt to defend his nation's autonomy.

"The DPRK must not be subject to the whims of an international coalition with no regard for the welfare of the Korean people," said Kim before stomping the ground with his foot, unleashing a devastating ring of energy that vaporized nearby reporters and military vehicles. "Catastrophic Valiant Kim-Chee Earthquake Stomp-Kick!"http://o.onionstatic.com/img/icons/terminator.gif

Rancid Carcass
03-Dec-2010, 07:38 PM
North Korean president Kim Jong Il unfolded into a 70-foot-tall, 62-ton giant robot.

Bet they didn't have that in Wiki-Leaks!