PDA

View Full Version : Elder Scrolls V confirmed as a direct sequel?

darth los
23-Nov-2010, 04:40 PM
Ok...MZ time to whip out that pic with the dude's sploodge all over the keyboard.

This shit is going to be crazy!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6284431.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B1

:cool:

krakenslayer
23-Nov-2010, 07:46 PM
I think Gamespot might be misinterpreting the term "chronological sequel". The previous Elder Scrolls games were all chronological sequels insofar as they were released in the same order that the events of the games supposedly occurred. Daggerfall took place after Arena, Morrowind after Daggerfall, etc. However, decades or centuries have always passed in-world between each game. It's likely, if not probable, that that will be the case here too.

There is nothing in the original document to strongly suggest that the next game would take place immediately after the events of Oblivion. In fact, it would be silly if it did, because in Oblivion you are encouraged to continue playing after the main quest, and can do so for many in-game years, which would overlap chronologically.

In any case, I am exited! I wonder what part of Tamriel this game will be set in.

I hope they take advantage of improvements in procedural generation to make the map much bigger this time around. As much as I love the later games in the franchise, there has been a tendency to shrink the maps smaller and smaller in order to make a more hand-designed landscape and accommodate more elaborate detail. It has got to the point where a player can traverse an entire nation on foot in about an hour real-time, and there are forgotten, ancient, undisturbed labyrinths a mere two minutes walk from the gates of a thriving city. As big and detailed as Cyrodil was, I'd like to see some return to a more overwhelmingly vast landscape that I can really lose myself in.