PDA

View Full Version : Metro 2033

Mr. Clean
01-Dec-2010, 12:05 AM
I LOVE this game. Reminds of me Half-Life meets Fallout 3. Your character can be described pretty much as a scavenger.

You have 7 slots for weapons. (Knife, throwing knifes, pistol, automatic weapon, Shotgun or Pneumatic weapon, grenade, sticky grenade.)

For each weapon, vendors sell different types. For example, a pistol can be sold with a silencer, a scope, a buttstock, or all three. They can also be found lying next to dead bodies throughout the levels. Throwing knives seem to be the best weapon in the game so far because you can recollect them once you've killed your target.

Money is in the form of Military Grade Ammuniton which does more damage than the dirty ammo that you gather from your adventure. You can switch between the 2 types at any time but it's pretty stupid be killing bad guys with your money.

Some levels require you to wear a gas mask in which you have to replace your filters about every 10 mins depending on if your movements like jumping or running.

Great game worth a play-through or two at $30 or less.

BTW, Anyone read the book?

MinionZombie
01-Dec-2010, 10:18 AM
Haven't read the book, but considering my fascination with the STALKER franchise (and indeed the film and book that inspired it), I have Metro 2033 on my 'to read list' ... haven't played the game however. I was really looking forward to it, but YET AGAIN motherfucking Steam rears its piss-ugly-annoying head. No dice with that DRM bullshit. The rig I game on from time-to-time isn't online, thus stopping me from playing any game that's afflicted with the shackles of Steam.

Mr. Clean
03-Dec-2010, 03:42 AM
Yeah it's pretty decent game. I'm playing the 360 version. My only fear is that the game is looking to be kinda short. I haven't beat it yet but I looked up info on this mutant I was having problems with last night and it sorta hinted at me being pretty damn close to the end.

---------- Post added 02-Dec-2010 at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was 01-Dec-2010 at 11:45 AM ----------

Just finished it. If you plan on playing this game, do some research first about the alternate ending unless you plan to go through a complete second time. I just looked it up on youtube. Pretty decent endings. The alternate is sorta weird. I feel like I NEED to read the book now to have a better understanding of whole environment.

Danny
07-Jun-2011, 05:34 AM
i'm playing this now, just met khan and got to cursed station. At first left me kind cold, like a shitty grimdark shooter but once they started added the supernatural elements compared to the uninspired mutants at the start its really start to pick up for me.

Mr. Clean
07-Jun-2011, 06:41 AM
Some advice is to hold onto all the military grade ammo that you can. It comes in handy later.

You can have two endings. I went with youtube to see the second ending because I didn't get the choice :(. I didn't know there was 2 endings until I had already finished it.

The book is still on my to read list.

Danny
09-Jun-2011, 11:12 AM
Finished it and on the whole? not amazing.

Its story was dull, cliche and barely existent. Every character was indistinguishable from the rest and you couldn't care for any of them enough for notice which one actually died at set points. It lead you by the hand far too much with little exploration and it showed you glimpses of some much better, spookier game like the portion with khan and the ghosts but it favors generic shooting and jelly vision bullshit over it.
Dont get me wrong, bits of it were great. but i cant help but feel it was like diet stalker. maybe if the metro was freeroam and you could choose where and when to do stuff it may have been a little more exciting but i felt like a dog on a lease. i follow an npc for a bit till i reach a big area and get told 'kill everything till you meet me again' - something that occurs at least 4 or 5 times and it never actually does anything amazing with the arguably superior source material.

Honest i would not recommend this game. there is no replay value, it ends with a damp squib of an ending which explains absolutely nothing and leaves you with no greater sense of accomplishment than when you pressed start at the beginning of the game.

I would recommend half life, stalker, fallout 3 or amnesia for a much more polished, atmospheric experience, this one is definitely skippable. in a word, just disappointing.