PDA

View Full Version : Holy hell! This is an INCREDIBLE picture...

LouCipherr
01-Dec-2010, 07:08 PM
Not sure if you guys are into nature photography, but I'm a sucker for it if the photographer is good.

This guy caught an INCREDIBLE scene in Montana:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/Useless%20Shit%202/thundercell_heavey.jpg

A Supercell Thunderstorm Cloud Over Montana
Credit & Copyright: Sean R. Heavey

"Although it may seem like an alien mothership, it's actually a impressive thunderstorm cloud called a supercell. Such colossal storm systems center on mesocyclones -- rotating updrafts that can span several kilometers and deliver torrential rain and high winds including tornadoes. Jagged sculptured clouds adorn the supercell's edge, while wind swept dust and rain dominate the center. A tree waits patiently in the foreground. The above supercell cloud was photographed in July west of Glasgow, Montana, USA, caused minor damage, and lasted several hours before moving on. "

:stunned:

Tricky
01-Dec-2010, 07:11 PM
Holy shit! I'd have needed a change of strides after seeing that in person!

bassman
01-Dec-2010, 07:11 PM
It really does look like one of the ships coming down in Close Encounters or Independence Day. :p

Very beautiful and kind of frightening at the same time...

rongravy
01-Dec-2010, 08:10 PM
I thought it looked like some giant beast's head and open mouth, reaching down to take a huge bite out of the earth.
Pretty sweet picture, though. Living in tornado alley, there's been alot of cool stuff like that. Wish I'd had a camera at those times.

MikePizzoff
01-Dec-2010, 08:44 PM
Very beautiful and kind of frightening at the same time...

I concur. Never having seen anything remotely like this in person, if I came across one of these I'd probably be a nervous wreck.

Legion2213
01-Dec-2010, 09:06 PM
Mother Nature - "More Powerfull Than You Could Possibly Imagine"

Publius
01-Dec-2010, 11:48 PM
I remember seeing a couple of supercell storms like that when driving across eastern Colorado during the summer several years ago. Not so well-defined as that one, but still pretty awesome.

Mr. Clean
02-Dec-2010, 03:37 AM
Mother nature is scary. #1 reason why I refuse to live in a trailer park.

Neil
03-Dec-2010, 05:29 PM
Mummma! Nice!

AcesandEights
03-Dec-2010, 05:57 PM
That is awesome in the true, non-dude sense of the word.

acealive1
04-Dec-2010, 12:28 AM
Mother nature is scary. #1 reason why I refuse to live in a trailer park.

LMFAO!!! me too.

LouCipherr
04-Dec-2010, 03:24 AM
Holy shit! I'd have needed a change of strides after seeing that in person!

Me too! If I was the guy with the camera, I probably would've been standing there, mouth open, completely mezmerized by the sight. Of couse, once I snapped out of it, I'd be running and screaming like a little girl in the opposite direction. :D

That is awesome in the true, non-dude sense of the word.

:lol: