PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Game of 2010

ProfessorChaos
01-Dec-2010, 11:28 PM
well, i started a thread like this last year and felt like kicking this discussion up again. so, what's your pick and why? please limit your ramblings to one fave title with an honorable mention or runner up.

okay, here's mine (and many of yours, too, i'd imagine): Red Fuckin Dead Redemption. the amount of time i've spent on this game is ridiculous. between the awesome main story, side missions, undead nightmare expansion, free roam online with friends, online poker, etc, i've logged some serious hours in the old west. i'd imagine they're done with all the DLC, which is a bummer, i was hoping for a more in-depth quest for jack to complete later. overall, though, one of the best games in years, loads better than GTA as far as single player replayability and forming an online poss with friends is even better.

honorable mention goes to castlevania: lords of shadow. as a castlevania purist, i was put off at first by this idea of a reboot, but it simply looked too good to not give it a fair chance. played the demo and liked it enough, so i took a gamble on it when i returned black ops. so far, i'm very impressed. the combat is exciting and addictive, puzzles aren't easy, but not too hard either. the game is awesome looking. levels are pretty linear, but amazing to look at, just like the old NES games in a sense. you can replay any previously completed level at anytime, going back to find things you missed. i'm really surprised by how much i like this game and i've only had it a week. i can tell this one will have a high replay value just to go back and find all secrets, power-ups, etc. if you've been sitting on the fence on this one, give it a spin. here's a long video giving you an idea what to expect:

UQtzxlZ0IAw

okay, who's next?

clanglee
02-Dec-2010, 12:07 AM
Well. . .I am enjoying the fuck out of Mass Effect 2 right now. It's got all the good stuff from part 1 and few of the bad things. I'm digging it probably more than anything else I've played this year. But, having said that, it's also probably the only game I played this year that was released this year.

bassman
02-Dec-2010, 12:16 AM
Red Dead Redemption. Nothing more to say, really.

I'm not that big of a gamer, so I don't think there are any others I would rank this year. In fact, I would probably choose Arkham Asylum again. :lol: Love that game...

Mr. Clean
02-Dec-2010, 12:50 AM
This is hard for me...

I'm going to have to go with Assassins Creed:Brotherhood for coming such a long way since the Orginal.

RDD was great but for whatever reason I'd probably rate Black Ops above it. I don't even think Black Ops was that great, just retardly addictive.

I have Mass Effect 2 but I haven't played it yet. I assume it's going to push AC:B aside because I loved the orginal so damn much.

CoinReturn
02-Dec-2010, 01:31 AM
Mass Effect 2 was my favorite game this year. The best parts from the first game (great writing/dialog, planetary exploration, huge amounts of backstory and lore to read through) were amplified and tweaked to near perfection. The combat saw a huge upgrade too, adding another highlight to the huge checkilst of improvements.

My only complaints were that the music didn't quite have the same synthesizer filled, Blade Runner-esque tracks in it, and that the main story really didn't advance much from the first game. The last cutscene sets up a great final act in ME3, though.

Runner up GOTY: Halo Reach. Loving the multiplayer in that one. It's balanced enough that you feel you have a chance in every engagement, but with the wild cards of armor abilities and scattered power weapons to keep things fresh. I'm also loving the fact that they're putting user-created Forge maps in the matchmaking circulation.

Danny
02-Dec-2010, 11:19 AM
Probably Bayonetta, with mass effect 2 as a very close second it just got really dumbed down for the meathead shooter crowd. sega just took devil may crys fast paced 3d castlevania style and blew it it out of the water.

Rancid Carcass
02-Dec-2010, 12:16 PM
Best game for me has to be Red Dead Redemption/Undead Nightmare. RDR because it's raised the bar on western games so damn high that it's going to take a very brave/fool hardy developer to attempt to do one of their own. I think they've both refined and killed the genre in one fell swoop. Undead Nightmare has shown us a glimpse of just how awesome an open-world zombie game could be, who knows what could be achieved if Rockstar decided to focus fully on the zombie apocalypse...drool...

My runner up is Just Cause 2, sometimes you just want to cut loose have have some fun. It's a big cheesy grin of a game, I've lost hours to this just pottering about blowing stuff up and let's face it the grapple hook/parachute combo is one of the best things in gaming, period. Also the vast game world is just stunning too, in fact when you're not blowing the crap out of stuff it doubles up as a rather nice holiday simulator!

CoinReturn
02-Dec-2010, 03:44 PM
My runner up is Just Cause 2, sometimes you just want to cut loose have have some fun. It's a big cheesy grin of a game, I've lost hours to this just pottering about blowing stuff up and let's face it the grapple hook/parachute combo is one of the best things in gaming, period. Also the vast game world is just stunning too, in fact when you're not blowing the crap out of stuff it doubles up as a rather nice holiday simulator!

Damn, how could I forget about this one? Probably the best open-world I've seen in a videogame. The island scenery is amazing to gaze at from thousands of feet up.

LouCipherr
02-Dec-2010, 03:48 PM
Best game for me has to be Red Dead Redemption/Undead Nightmare. RDR because it's raised the bar on western games so damn high that it's going to take a very brave/fool hardy developer to attempt to do one of their own. I think they've both refined and killed the genre in one fell swoop. Undead Nightmare has shown us a glimpse of just how awesome an open-world zombie game could be, who knows what could be achieved if Rockstar decided to focus fully on the zombie apocalypse...drool...

This. RDR w/Undead Nightmare DLC has pretty much clentched the title for me.

I will give Dead Rising 2 a hardy runner-up spot, but best game of 2010 goes to RDR/UN. ;)

bassman
02-Dec-2010, 03:50 PM
So is undead nightmare really that good? Like....paying the disc price good?

You know my sorry ass....no LIVE. :(

EvilNed
02-Dec-2010, 04:36 PM
Fallout: New Vegas. So far, at least.

LouCipherr
02-Dec-2010, 04:42 PM
So is undead nightmare really that good? Like....paying the disc price good?

You know my sorry ass....no LIVE. :(

How much is the disc price? I know what the DLC was, is it the same for the disc version?

I, as well as many others, certianly think it's worth it. If you like RDR, there's no reason why you wouldn't dig the UN add-on (be it disc or DLC).

bassman
02-Dec-2010, 04:43 PM
Like the GTA DLC disc, it's about 30 bucks.

MikePizzoff
02-Dec-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm going to say Just Cause 2, by far; I've also lost countless hours just exploring the world. I'd say my gamesave has got to be somewhere around 80 hours.

Red Dead Redemption follows in second, although I didn't even ever finish the storyline... good thing one of my room mates has it so I can borrow it.

Tricky
02-Dec-2010, 06:58 PM
I guess Alien vs Predator for me, but I havent really bought many of 2010's games so that doesnt make it game of the year or anything, its just that its about the only new one I've played! Been spending a lot of time playing games from the last 2 or 3 years that I've picked up cheap from steam or in the bargain bucket at the shops

MinionZombie
03-Dec-2010, 10:07 AM
Favourite game of the year? I'll go for Red Dead Redemption, with Alan Wake being a close second (surprised hellsing didn't even give that an honourable mention, after all the times he's played it and talked about it here :confused:).

Don't have Undead Nightmare yet, in fact I had no idea it was coming out on disc - I had thought the November 26th date was a rumour, and hadn't seen any talk about it after it was on XBL, so then I saw an advert for it during last week's TWD and got a right old surprise. Will get it later on, but I looked at the price and it's cheaper than I expected - I was expecting £25 (which is what Episodes from Liberty City was), and in fact it's going for £18 to £20.

Perhaps by the time I get around to it, it'll be £15.

Mr. Clean
04-Dec-2010, 03:17 PM
I guess Alien vs Predator for me, but I havent really bought many of 2010's games so that doesnt make it game of the year or anything, its just that its about the only new one I've played! Been spending a lot of time playing games from the last 2 or 3 years that I've picked up cheap from steam or in the bargain bucket at the shops

Does anyone play the multiplayer on that? I beat all the campaigns and then went to look at the multiplayer and couldn't get into a match.

Mitchified
04-Dec-2010, 04:22 PM
As much as I liked Red Dead Redemption and a number of the games mentioned so far on this thread, I have to give the nod to God of War III. Not only is it the best game in the series, it's quite possibly the best game on the Playstation 3. I absolutely love the epic scale that the game has going for it; the fight with Poseidon right off the bat is mind-blowing. Castlevania: Lord of Shadows was somewhat similar in execution, but I preferred the tighter controls of GoW3.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 and the Left 4 Dead/Left 4 Dead 2 updates (The Passing/The Sacrifice/No Mercy in L4D2/etc) would be my runner-ups. Not that it really matters, of course, since everything at this point is just to keep me entertained while waiting on Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Trencher
04-Dec-2010, 10:39 PM
Fist of the North star Kens rage!

krisvds
16-Dec-2010, 03:03 PM
Sin and punishment 2!!!! Arcade thrills and japanes twitch gameplay in a perfect Treasure-marriage. Must play if you have a Wii.

And RDR, but that goes without saying really. Evryone on the planet played and enjoued that one.
Had a great time with Dead Rising 2 as well but that wont surprise anyone here i guess?

Enjoyed Heavy Rain too, but not quite sure if you could call that a 'game'. More lika an interactive animated novel.
Recently been mopping up those last pesky star coins on NSMBwii with the wife as well. Damn, that game is hard if you want to 100% it.

Exatreides
17-Dec-2010, 06:02 PM
Right now I have to say the game that I've had the most fun playing in 2010 was....

Mass Effect 2. One of the very few games that I've ever spent money for DLC on (Besides fall out 3)
The fact that its such a rich detailed and most importantly unique universe out there makes me fall in love. Toss in high replayability and you have a hell of a game.

Biggest Disappointment?
Fall out New Vegas added very little to the Genius of fall out 3. While taking away a lot of the things I loved. It just didn't have the feel of the DC hell hole. No three dog to listen to a rather disappointing implication of the factions part just make the game clunky, murky, and gawd so full of bugs that it makes an ant trap jealous.

mista_mo
20-Dec-2010, 05:23 AM
I am definatly going to have to go with Battlefield Bad Company 2. I really cannot think of any other game that is as much fun online as this one is. From the balanced vehicles, classes and weapons, to the absolutely amazing moments of pure awesomeness, this game easily ranks as my favorite game of 2010.