PDA

View Full Version : Didn't this start the whole thing???

jamessavik
07-Dec-2010, 09:06 PM
Japan's first Venus probe struggling to enter orbit

(AFP) – 9 hours ago

TOKYO — Japan's first space probe bound for Venus was struggling on Tuesday to enter the planet's orbit, the space agency said.

The Planet-C Venus Climate Orbiter, a box-shaped golden satellite fitted with two paddle-shaped solar panels, blasted off from a space centre in southern Japan in May.

The probe, nicknamed "Akatsuki" or "Dawn", reversed its engine to slow down and enter the planet's gravitational field but lost contact with ground control longer than had been anticipated, the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) said.

It was presumed to have shifted itself into a "safe hold mode", and was able to communicate only by via one of its three antennae after the blackout ended.

"It is not known which path the probe is following at the moment," JAXA official Munetaka Ueno told reporters at the ground control late Tuesday. "We are making maximum effort to readjust the probe."

Venus is similar in size and age to Earth but has a far more hostile climate, with temperatures around 460 degrees Celsius (860 degrees Fahrenheit) and large amounts of carbon dioxide, the primary greenhouse gas on Earth.

Scientists believe an investigation of the climate of Venus will help them deepen their understanding of the formation of the Earth's environment and its future.

Fitted with five cameras, the probe will peer through the planet's thick layer of sulphuric acid clouds to monitor the meteorology of Venus, search for possible lightning, and scan its crust for active volcanoes.

Akatsuki will work closely with the European Space Agency's Venus Express.

:eek:

Ghost Of War
08-Dec-2010, 07:36 AM
Japan's first Venus probe struggling to enter orbit

The probe, nicknamed "Akatsuki" or "Dawn",

:eek:

:eek: is about right.

ProfessorChaos
08-Dec-2010, 07:45 AM
*fingers crossed*

Publius
08-Dec-2010, 09:49 AM
They've learned. Akatsuki is not supposed to return to Earth.

bassman
08-Dec-2010, 12:11 PM
*fingers crossed*

:lol:

You one of those types that actually hopes for the zombie uprising as if they're invincible and have it all planned out? Those dorks would probably be the first to go. :lol:

BTW....The Venus probe was never given as a specific cause. Just a theory. :D

ProfessorChaos
08-Dec-2010, 12:29 PM
not really, just bored. although i think that i'd kick ass at the whole thing.

bassman
08-Dec-2010, 12:58 PM
not really, just bored. although i think that i'd kick ass at the whole thing.

So did the Bikers and Rhodes and his men. :p

BillyRay
08-Dec-2010, 01:59 PM
Do you really think you can "blow the piss out of them"?

LouCipherr
08-Dec-2010, 02:21 PM
*fingers crossed*

Do you really think you can "blow the piss out of them"?

Probably, but I think that's kinda inappropriate, don't you BillyRay? :lol: :lol: :lol:

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

jamessavik
08-Dec-2010, 03:05 PM
There is no apocalypse that a basement full of guns and booze can't make more entertaining.

MoonSylver
08-Dec-2010, 03:05 PM
Probably, but I think that's kinda inappropriate, don't you BillyRay? :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.tshirtgrg.com/869-Thats%20What%20She%20Said.jpg

MikePizzoff
08-Dec-2010, 05:30 PM
not really, just bored.

(sigh) I'm bored, I just wish the world would end.

BillyRay
08-Dec-2010, 06:09 PM

(sigh) I'm bored, I just wish the world would end.

hfjGRBFd7mQ

acealive1
09-Dec-2010, 01:30 AM
gonna take a wild swing here......but what makes people believe there hasnt already been a reanimation and it's been quietly killed in the early stages?

jamessavik
09-Dec-2010, 04:19 AM
gonna take a wild swing here......but what makes people believe there hasnt already been a reanimation and it's been quietly killed in the early stages?

Our government is too retarded to keep its secret bases secret.

Wikileaks would run the video before anyone knew it was missing.

Ghost Of War
09-Dec-2010, 07:35 AM

Either that or they've all been given jobs at the place where I work. I tell ya, some of the people here look like they've been dead a while.

acealive1
09-Dec-2010, 10:08 AM
Either that or they've all been given jobs at the place where I work. I tell ya, some of the people here look like they've been dead a while.

theres a guy at my job like this! lol