PDA

View Full Version : Studios pulling special features from Netflix discs

bassman
09-Dec-2010, 04:12 PM
Everyone knows about the "28 days" rule most studios are now doing with Netflix. Apparently that's not enough as they're now pulling special features (http://www.joblo.com/digital/index.php?id=7816) from discs released to to the company.

If this sticks and continues to expand, expect only the feature film from most, if not all, releases in the future.

This is what you would see when clicking on the Scott Pilgrim special features:

http://www.joblo.com/dvdclinic/images/news/scott-pilgrim-dvd-netlfix.jpg

If this continues, it could really hurt Netflix. I know not everyone cares about these things, but I know i'm not alone in saying that the special features are a vital part of the dvd experience....

BillyRay
09-Dec-2010, 04:17 PM
It's not just Netflix - the DVD copy I got at my neighborhood video store (non-chain, run by hippies) had the same deal.

It's a bad trend and reeks of the studios trying to grab every dollar they can. Sad.

bassman
09-Dec-2010, 04:20 PM
It's a bad trend and reeks of the studios trying to grab every dollar they can. Sad.

From a business standpoint, you can't really blame them. I've heard they've been taking a huge hit because of Netflix and those Redbox things....

I know Blockbuster sometimes has movie-only discs, but I believe this is a first for netflix? Up until this point they usually had the same discs that were sold in stores, no?

LouCipherr
09-Dec-2010, 04:23 PM
Wow, I mean, I realize this is happening to more than just Netflix with the extras on the disc, but between this, the delays for netflix to get new movies now (thanks to the stupid studios) and now their streaming service being attacked with fees/fines because of the traffic (search google for Level 3 & Comca$h.. err, I mean, Comcast) - I'm not sure how much more Netflix can handle.

I'll just say what everyone is probably already thinking: This is bullshit.

The unintended consequence of all this shit will be more piracy. Just watch.

darth los
09-Dec-2010, 04:40 PM
Wow, I mean, I realize this is happening to more than just Netflix with the extras on the disc, but between this, the delays for netflix to get new movies now (thanks to the stupid studios) and now their streaming service being attacked with fees/fines because of the traffic (search google for Level 3 & Comca$h.. err, I mean, Comcast) - I'm not sure how much more Netflix can handle.

I'll just say what everyone is probably already thinking: This is bullshit.

The unintended consequence of all this shit will be more piracy. Just watch.

Exactly lou.

These dumb, out of touch corporate bastards are thinking, "Muhahahahahahah, now they'll have no choice but to buy our blu rays because it's the only way to get the whole experience."

Meanwhile Mr. average Joe in the midst of the worst recession since the great depression is thinking,:

" Pay more money!?! The hell with that. I'm either going to stay with the plan I have and to hell with the extras or I can get them pirated." However, I'd bet money on buying the actual blu ray you'd like to see the extras of is not an option they'd consider.

:cool:

JDFP
09-Dec-2010, 06:36 PM
Won't bother me as far as rentals go. If I'm renting a film, it's just to see the film -- don't really care anything about the special features as far as rental goes.

However, on the completely other hand, I won't spend $$$ to buy a blu-ray (I'm done with buying DVD's, why spend money on something when you'll eventually want to upgrade it on blu ray anyway?) unless it's full of a TON of extra features. I want commentaries, makings-of, etc. I'm not buying the film for the film -- I'm buying it for the extra features such as commentaries/etc. on it. If I just wanted to see the film, I could just rent it and save the extra $$$ from purchasing it.

I won't bother with upgrading 99% of most DVD's I have (up-convert is good enough for most of them) unless the blu-ray release has tons of loaded extra features too. Why spend extra $$$ on it for the same damn thing I already have anyway with a bit better picture clarity? I'll make exception for the 1% of films I consider to be 5-star "Must Have" films -- but this is like 20 films I can think of ever created. And they better be a great bargain to convert from DVD to blu-ray if they want my money if they aren't providing any new amazing special features.

EDIT: Yes, I'm a special features whore. And I feel no shame about it either.

j.p.