PDA

View Full Version : Avatar Extended Edition - Anyone seen it?

Neil
12-Dec-2010, 10:18 AM
If you didn't like Avatar PLEASE don't start Avatar bashing! Not interested!

If however, you enjoyed the film, and you've seen the extended version, what was your opinion of it?

Mike70
12-Dec-2010, 03:28 PM
i've seen the extended edition and will have to admit that a second viewing of "avatar" raised my opinion of the movie considerably. that happens to me quite a bit. i'll not like a flick first time through but if i give it a second chance (avatar was certainly deserving of a second chance), i end up enjoying it.

i had only seen avatar once before (back when it came out) so i don't have much to add on the impact of the additional material. the only problem i have with avatar is that the story does not fit the epic, grand and amazing world that was created. the plot is, at heart, just the same old boy meets the girl he shouldn't be able to have but ends up winning her in the end story that hollywood has been doing since the 30s.

MinionZombie
12-Dec-2010, 06:35 PM
If you didn't like Avatar PLEASE don't start Avatar bashing! Not interested!

If however, you enjoyed the film, and you've seen the extended version, what was your opinion of it?

Damn straight, I'm so sick of "Avatar bashing" ... I guess it's one of those "it's cool to bash" things, eh? Anyway, moving on from that stuff, yes I have seen the extended edition - I got the 3-disc BR the day it came out, and I dig the additional material.

The new opening (only in the disc-only release, not the longer theatrical cut ... i.e. the third, and longest, cut of the movie) makes for a nice bit of context. It's visually a treat also - like a JC version, with 21st century tech, of Blade Runner. It's most useful as a grounding - we get to see what earth is like, so it provides better reason for mankind's desperate need for Unobtanium - and indeed why 'the corporate guys' are so intent on getting it at all costs.

The scenes revolving around backstory to do with Neytiri - as told by Augustine - and the school she ran, are also welcome additions - providing nice little bits of backstory that give a bit of extra flesh, and most notably give us a better understanding of Neytiri, and an improved context for her actions throughout.

The hunt scene that they added isn't necessary so-to-speak, but again it just shows us more of Jake becoming more of a Na'vi - in this respect, his hunting skills improving to such a degree that he's better than some of the true Na'vi at hunting.

Those are the bits that most stick in my memory, other stuff is generally smaller additions, but I liked the "extended collector's edition cut" (the third cut, the longest cut, of the flick) quite a bit. Sure, the movie's plot is tried & true, but like Orson Welles said when being lauded with praise for Citizen Kane, all the possibly plots have long since been done.

The deleted scenes (45 minutes of stuff, with scenes from the movie to provide context, which makes the deleted scenes portion run about 60-65 minutes) are also quite good - in fact, some of the deleted scenes are pretty darn good in their own right, and would have been good in the movie itself had it not already been so hefty. It's rare that deleted scenes really provide any useful backstory or side plot information, but the ones on the Avatar 3-discer are really good, I think.

Also, a handy thing on the Blu-Ray - you can view just the additional scenes (with added context scenes to bookmark each one) on their own, which is a really handy addition.

I plan on watching it again over the Xmas holidays with the family as none of them have seen it. Finally, not being in 3D, you don't get the brightness/contrast/colour loss that you do while wearing those glasses (as much as 30% apparently), so that's a plus. :)

Have you seen the extended collector's edition, Neil?

Neil
12-Dec-2010, 08:06 PM
^^ No, I've only see the original cinema cut!

Mitchified
12-Dec-2010, 09:31 PM
the only problem i have with avatar is that the story does not fit the epic, grand and amazing world that was created. the plot is, at heart, just the same old boy meets the girl he shouldn't be able to have but ends up winning her in the end story that hollywood has been doing since the 30s.

It's Dances with Space Wolves.

With that said, I enjoyed the extended version quite a bit. The new and expanded scenes help to flesh out the movie a bit, and it made the world seem, I dunno, larger in a way.

MinionZombie
13-Dec-2010, 09:08 AM
^^ No, I've only see the original cinema cut!

Get 'doon tha toon' and get it on Blu-Ray, then! :)

AcesandEights
13-Dec-2010, 02:14 PM
Haven't seen the extended yet. Loved seeing the film in the theater, despite it's basic storyline and over-hyping.

Get 'doon tha toon'
???

bassman
13-Dec-2010, 02:24 PM
Haven't seen the extended yet. Loved seeing the film in the theater, despite it's basic storyline and over-hyping.

Same here. That's the reason I can't bring myself to pay full price for this extended Blu Ray. I want to see it, but i'm afraid i'll be disappointed in it because of the lack of the theater experience. That's what really made this movie worth it, imo. It was an event. But the same thing scaled back at home? I'm not too sure about it.

Although I will say that MZ's review of this BR edition has me interested. I might go ahead and shell out the money for it if the features are indeed worth it.

MZ - Is there a Cameron commentary track?

Mike70
13-Dec-2010, 02:36 PM

???

i believe that means: get down to town.

MinionZombie
13-Dec-2010, 06:16 PM

???

How I describe Avatar's plot - and indeed Cameron's storytelling in general - is "broad strokes". He often works in those terms, and what sets Avatar apart from his other movies perhaps (aside from Titanic) is that you know that certain key plot points are going to happen a long time before they do.

Even still, I loved watching it again. I hadn't seen it since December 20th 2009, so coming to it again just shy of 11 months later, it was all fresh again - even though I ploughed through most of the special feature content first.

Same here. That's the reason I can't bring myself to pay full price for this extended Blu Ray. I want to see it, but i'm afraid i'll be disappointed in it because of the lack of the theater experience. That's what really made this movie worth it, imo. It was an event. But the same thing scaled back at home? I'm not too sure about it.

Although I will say that MZ's review of this BR edition has me interested. I might go ahead and shell out the money for it if the features are indeed worth it.

MZ - Is there a Cameron commentary track?

No Cameron commentary, but the extra features are bountiful and extensive to say the least. There'd be little point in a commentary as the key players say all they need to say in the making of documentaries.

As for seeing the film on disc, I watched it on a 24 inch telly and I got all wrapped up in it again, so seeing it on a 37 inch or bigger telly will make it appropriately large enough for everyone, I'd think.

I was worried about it not having the same vibe as the theatrical screening - and it did take me a good twenty minutes to get into the vibe of it again, in a different setting, and not seeing it in 3D, but I totally got wrapped up in it again - and indeed, not being in 3D you get the better brightness/contrast/colour, because 3D actually diminishes those (one, or two, or all ... can't remember correctly right now) by something like 30%, so you're getting a better picture at home, albeit not a 3D one (although a barebones 3D release is coming quite soon - it's already leaked on eBay with some muppets paying something like $300 for a copy of it on 3DBR! :eek:)

So, in short, dive in again, and once you get into the groove again, it'll be worthwhile. :)

i believe that means: get down to town.

You are correct, Sir. :)