PDA

View Full Version : Anyone picked up the new "slim" XBox 360 yet?

ProfessorChaos
18-Dec-2010, 07:29 AM
well, my xbox's disc drive seems to be about fucked. took me almost 20 minutes earlier to get the new castlevania game to read. kept appearing as a dvd...when i was playing black ops and WaW recently, had a similar problem with both of those discs too. the damn thing sounds pained, like a wheezing dog in need of one last car ride to the vet.

so i've been looking, and with the built-in wifi, hdmi ports, improved electricity-usage, better hardware, i think i'm going to pick up one of those sleek new "slim" model 360's after the holidays...i'm still rocking the 20gb hdd launch model. been thinking of upgrading to a bigger hdd for some time, but it looks now like my hand is being forced.

anybody have one of these yet? if so, what are you impressions and thoughts?

Danny
18-Dec-2010, 10:03 AM
stays cooler, runs quieter -unless it plays dvds then it sounds like youve thrown a hairdryer in a washing machine. pumps a LOT of heat out of the bottom. I have mine on my desk for when i need to capture videogame footage for this or that project and if ive put a drink in a class remotely near it it warms the liquid so i wouldnt recommend keeping it close to other things like dvd players it'll probably eat through them! :lol:
the 250gig hd was a big upgrade to my 12gig and its nice to not have a massive power brick but aside from being cooler and quieter its the same.

its supposed to be less likely to fail like previous models but at this point theres like 3 none kinect exclusives on the horizon and a lot of my friends are finally getting ps3's so my need to own one at all is greatly lessened. is it worth getting if you play online a lot with friends who have 360s? yeah its reasonable for the price. That said if my slim fucks up like my other ones im done with microsoft.

-though the new headset that comes with it doesnt work. it just doesnt. gotta love microsoft eh?

slickwilly13
18-Dec-2010, 03:16 PM
I wonder how difficult it is to replace a disk drive on a 360. If it is simple, then maybe you could purchase a working disk drive from a parts dealer and replace it.

CoinReturn
18-Dec-2010, 03:49 PM
I think it's time for an upgrade. The fact that you've got a working launch console is a miracle. Be sure to install your games with all that extra HD space.

its supposed to be less likely to fail like previous models but at this point theres like 3 none kinect exclusives on the horizon and a lot of my friends are finally getting ps3's so my need to own one at all is greatly lessened. is it worth getting if you play online a lot with friends who have 360s? yeah its reasonable for the price.

It's also worth getting considering almost every multiplatorm games look better on 360 for one reason or another (anti-aliasing, higher resolution, less slowdown). Black Ops and New Vegas are just two recent examples of this.

There are exceptions, like with Mass Effect 2. The PS3 version actually will look better because it's running on the ME3 engine.

Danny
18-Dec-2010, 11:56 PM
It's also worth getting considering almost every multiplatorm games look better on 360 for one reason or another (anti-aliasing, higher resolution, less slowdown). Black Ops and New Vegas are just two recent examples of this.

There are exceptions, like with Mass Effect 2. The PS3 version actually will look better because it's running on the ME3 engine.

black ops and new vegas arent the best examples to sell someone on a console dude :lol:

childofgilead
21-Dec-2010, 02:02 AM
Actually, cracking a 360 isn't all that hard, but switching one drive for another is a bit hard, because you have to swap a few internal bits along with the drive itself..I've had to crack mine open numerous times for either RROD or an Open Tray disc error..I'm thinking about getting a new one just to lessen my headaches over their crap engineering..

LouCipherr
21-Dec-2010, 01:04 PM
I wanted to pick up one of the new 360's, but until it's been out for a while and I know for sure this bullshit RROD problem has been resolved, I will not be buying another console. They fooled me once, it isn't going to happen again. :mad:

Danny
21-Dec-2010, 01:53 PM
2 other things, again unlike the ps3 the hard drive and its adjoining slot in the console are a unique shape so you have to buy theres so you cannot just buy a cheap tb hd and install it yourself like you can in a ps3 so you are still limited by what they say you can have-no doubt so they can advertise the next iteration with a bigger hard drive to further drain our wallets and put another iteration between it and an eventual truly technologically superior successor console.

and unlike my old white xbox my new slim freezes quite often and thats not just me but all my friends who got slims experience the same problems as well.

LouCipherr
21-Dec-2010, 02:48 PM
and unlike my old white xbox my new slim freezes quite often and thats not just me but all my friends who got slims experience the same problems as well.

Well, that's not fucking encouraging news... M$ still hasn't got shit right, eh? Unreal.. :rolleyes:

Danny
21-Dec-2010, 04:34 PM
Well, that's not fucking encouraging news... M$ still hasn't got shit right, eh? Unreal.. :rolleyes:

There making enough money now, why waste the time and r and d to do it right when they dont have to?

LouCipherr
21-Dec-2010, 04:59 PM
There making enough money now, why waste the time and r and d to do it right when they dont have to?

True, and people just keep feeding them their $, even though the RROD issues (and others) still have not been fixed.

Wow, we really are sheep when it comes to our technology addictions, aren't we? Ugh.

ProfessorChaos
12-Jan-2011, 02:23 AM
picked up my slim the other night. much smaller, sleeker, and makes way less noise. loads of HDD space is also nice. built-in wifi and HDMI ports add to the value of this new console.

took my old one to gamestop, they were only going to give me 40 bucks in store credit for the console, hook ups and 1 controller. 7 for the HDD and 15 for the wireless adapter. fortunately, i didn't have a controller with me, so i went back to my apartment and made some calls, found a smaller retailer who is testing it this evening. they say that if it passes their 2-hour test, i get 80 bucks for the system, 10 for the 20gb HDD, and 20 for the wireless adapter....much better deal for my old system.

anyone on the fence about upgrading systems, trust me, it's a big improvement if you're still rocking one of the older launch models.

CoinReturn
12-Jan-2011, 02:46 AM
Thanks for the impressions! Hope to upgrade sometime later this year.

Mr. Clean
12-Jan-2011, 03:03 AM
How do you transfer your old saves old hard drive to new hard drive?

Danny
12-Jan-2011, 04:28 AM
picked up my slim the other night. much smaller, sleeker, and makes way less noise. loads of HDD space is also nice. built-in wifi and HDMI ports add to the value of this new console.

took my old one to gamestop, they were only going to give me 40 bucks in store credit for the console, hook ups and 1 controller. 7 for the HDD and 15 for the wireless adapter. fortunately, i didn't have a controller with me, so i went back to my apartment and made some calls, found a smaller retailer who is testing it this evening. they say that if it passes their 2-hour test, i get 80 bucks for the system, 10 for the 20gb HDD, and 20 for the wireless adapter....much better deal for my old system.

anyone on the fence about upgrading systems, trust me, it's a big improvement if you're still rocking one of the older launch models.

i'd give it a week or two and see if your still singing its graces dude, like i said before everyone i know who owns one, myself included have had to get used to it locking up quite often.

---------- Post added at 05:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 AM ----------

How do you transfer your old saves old hard drive to new hard drive?

well its microsoft so of course you need to spend another 15 bucks to get a cable that you plug into the usb ports of your new one and straight into the hard drive of the old one, you select what to copy and leave it for half an hour.

MinionZombie
12-Jan-2011, 09:55 AM
I have a question - how would you transfer save games and a profile from two memory unit cards to a 360 Slim?

Danny
12-Jan-2011, 10:01 AM
I have a question - how would you transfer save games and a profile from two memory unit cards to a 360 Slim?

hmm, good question, its only got usb connections and a disk drive, unless theres something im missing behind it. Maybe microsoft just figured not enough people were buying and using them to integrate them in this version?

MinionZombie
12-Jan-2011, 04:35 PM
hmm, good question, its only got usb connections and a disk drive, unless theres something im missing behind it. Maybe microsoft just figured not enough people were buying and using them to integrate them in this version?

I'm thinking Microsoft have an entire "How Can We Continue To Annoy The Piss Out Of MinionZombie" division ... because all my shit is on two memory units.

Frankly, the lack of foresight that seems to have blocked anyone with memory units from transferring their saves and profile to a 360 Slim is appalling. It was a hypothetical question, but nonetheless ... tisk tisk most foul.

Danny
13-Jan-2011, 04:35 AM
I'm thinking Microsoft have an entire "How Can We Continue To Annoy The Piss Out Of MinionZombie" division ... because all my shit is on two memory units.

Frankly, the lack of foresight that seems to have blocked anyone with memory units from transferring their saves and profile to a 360 Slim is appalling. It was a hypothetical question, but nonetheless ... tisk tisk most foul.

i don't think its lack of foresight, there trying to abandon that media. When you can get a 12gig hd for an xbox for like £30 now very few people are going to stick with memory units which are for most an artifact of the last technological generation for games consoles. There not blocking you like 'haha, you cant use it!", there is either not enough people using them to warrant adding more ports into a smaller device or they want to just phase the memory unit out. Because for the most part they are pushing 'live anywhere' on your phone, on your pc on your xbox, wherever without the need for a hardline to transfer information.
You've still got every right to find it annoying but your best off buying a preowned white 360 hard drive just in case. that way you wont lose your shit if, like most your xbox red rings, again, and you say 'fuck it im buying a slim' like we all did.

MinionZombie
13-Jan-2011, 10:48 AM
1) I shouldn't have to buy some random 'old school 360 HDD' just to act as a random go-between.

2) If they can create a wire (that you have to pay for no less) to transfer from one 360 HDD to another, then they can created another wire that can transfer from memory units to a 360 slim HDD.

Penalising memory unit owners by not allowing them to transfer over their years worth of save games, achievements, and profile stuff is stunning ... especially when MS has spent the last several years selling them for extortionate prices.

Danny
13-Jan-2011, 11:50 AM
same thing i thought when i found my newer ps3 had the earlier models ps2 card slot removed.

MinionZombie
13-Jan-2011, 06:56 PM
same thing i thought when i found my newer ps3 had the earlier models ps2 card slot removed.

See. It's bullshit.

F***ing technology, man ... or rather, the money men, planners, and morons who forget Memory Unit compatibility, behind technology. :mad: