PDA

View Full Version : Tron: Legacy

EvilNed
19-Dec-2010, 11:35 PM
Anyone see it yet? I saw it today.

I saw the original Tron this morning, never having seen it before. After that we headed straight to the cinema and watched it in 3D. It was actually my first 3D experience.

The film? It was great. Loved it from the very start. Tied in with the original, which I also thought was great! I'm definetly gonna get both on DVD.

The images were awesome, as were the intense fights. The great thing about it was that, due to the story, it was just very creative and fun, especially in the fight scenes. Were they the best I'd ever seen? No, but it was some of the most fun I'd ever had watching action scenes. They're inside a computer system, they can do pretty much anything they want. Reminds me of The Matrix a lot, now that I think of it...

DjfunkmasterG
20-Dec-2010, 01:54 AM
Haven't seen either myself, but I got a good chuckle when I compared the films budgets

Original Tron $17,000,00
Tron Legacy: $170,000,000

bassman
20-Dec-2010, 02:29 AM
thirty years will do that, DJ.

I can't really remember the first, but they've really made this sequel look interesting.

Olivia Wilde doesn't hurt, either. :elol:

Danny
20-Dec-2010, 06:00 AM
seeing it later this week. Loved tron growing up and jeff bridges is probably my favourite actor so im pretty excited for this.

EvilNed
20-Dec-2010, 09:15 AM
Original Tron $17,000,00
Tron Legacy: $170,000,000

If you adjust for inflation, 17 Million is of course more today than what it appears to be.

AcesandEights
20-Dec-2010, 05:21 PM
I'll see it...someday! Wish it could be sooner than waiting for it to come out post-theater, but that's the way it is nowadays for me.

Still though, it looks interesting and damned pretty.

krakenslayer
21-Dec-2010, 11:11 PM
I saw it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it! There have been lots of complaints about the simple plot, but I thought the storyline was pretty engrossing, particularly when viewed in the light of the first film. Perhaps that's why I enjoyed it so much: I'd watched Tron 1 the previous evening. A lot of the depth in Tron 2 comes from knowing the characters and situations of the first film. Watching it without that knowledge, the film probably would not seem as deep and interesting. It was really exciting too, and there were some interesting philosophical points about intelligent programs and life itself (the isos).

I thought Tron himself got a bit of a raw deal, though. It was cool to see him do what he did, but there was a hint of "writer's afterthought" around the relative brevity of his appearance. Also, while the world looked stunning, I actually slightly preferred the visuals in the first movie, as it felt more like an ethereal digitized world than the glassy future world of Tron Legacy.

Danny
24-Dec-2010, 01:07 PM
Loved it, my favorite disney movie in a good long while. shame they never had the tron world enter the real one like they hinted at but for a pretty simple plot you get a really fun sci-fi movie. i can recommend it, great soundtrack, great visuals and jeff bridges dont disappoint.

SymphonicX
26-Dec-2010, 05:12 PM
Can't wait for this film, sounds awesome - Jeff didn't seem too happy being filmed entirely on chromakey though!

Danny
26-Dec-2010, 06:19 PM
Can't wait for this film, sounds awesome - Jeff didn't seem too happy being filmed entirely on chromakey though!

because he was high as fuck at the time and, like, totally thought it was an invisible demon, man.

Trin
27-Dec-2010, 02:17 PM
I can't believe it when I hear people have never seen TRON. It was just about the coolest thing that ever came out back in the day.

blind2d
27-Dec-2010, 02:59 PM
I only saw it once... but yeah, it was cool... reminded me of Logan's Run in a way... it's good. I still don't know if I should bother seeing this new movie, though...

Neil
30-Dec-2010, 10:46 AM
Saw it a couple of nights ago...

Exceeded my expectations! The soundtrack and visuals were just beautiful IMHO!

The story line let it down a little, but I still really enjoyed it!

I guess the biggest let down was how the name sake of the film, Tron, was seemingly so lost in this film. There was no real explanation what happened to him and indeed why he suddenly chanegd colours (sides) at the end

Danny
01-Jan-2011, 01:15 AM
Pretty much sums it up for everyone, superb soundtracks and superb visuals, so-so story.

MinionZombie
02-Jan-2011, 06:16 PM
Pretty much sums it up for everyone, superb soundtracks and superb visuals, so-so story.

I've heard a lot of "meh" regarding the story, and while - sure - the story could have used some extra TLC, I didn't find it to be anywhere near as "meh" as I'd been expecting, so that was a plus for me. There was still lots of stuff in there that I really enjoyed ... and Qora ... mmmmmm. :p

It's taken me three attempts to get to see it, and I finally saw it this afternoon - and I absolutely loved it - and yeah, the visuals are fantastic and the soundtrack is tremendous, which is exactly why I've got it on the way. :)

Eyebiter
02-Jan-2011, 11:42 PM
Went and saw the 3D version of Tron Legacy. While the movie was enjoyable in retrospect should have went to see the 2D version. There was more 3D in the previews before the film than in the movie itself. One of those films that added on 3D scenes just to boost the ticket price.

Danny
03-Jan-2011, 12:33 AM
and the soundtrack is tremendous, which is exactly why I've got it on the way. :)

took me a second to remember that not everyone gets music digitally nowadays still. for a second i just thought you had really slow internet. :lol:

MinionZombie
03-Jan-2011, 10:29 AM
Went and saw the 3D version of Tron Legacy. While the movie was enjoyable in retrospect should have went to see the 2D version. There was more 3D in the previews before the film than in the movie itself. One of those films that added on 3D scenes just to boost the ticket price.

Yeah the 3D was disappointing - but I think it was really more down to there not being enough foreground/middle ground/background differentiation ... there were some shots that worked very nicely, but really the production design and CGI was way more powerful than the use of 3D.

It was shot in 3D - well, the stuff inside the world of the grid itself, which was intended to be the case to differntiate between real world and computer world - but yeah, because you didn't get enough of that 'foreground/mid ground/background' look, the 3D didn't work as well as expected.

Interestingly though, for me too the previews in 3D worked much better - a football being kicked at the screen for instance, when I wasn't paying attention, took me by surprise and gave me a right old fright and I actually ducked to avoid it. :p

So yeah, seeing it in 2D would be perfectly fine frankly. Really glad I got to see it though as I really enjoyed it.

took me a second to remember that not everyone gets music digitally nowadays still. for a second i just thought you had really slow internet. :lol:

I like proper CDs, I've got something to hold and look at and it's something official, not just some digital 1s and 0s that I could accidentally delete - or somehow lose - at the drop of a hat. I've got thousands of MP3s, but I've also got countless dozens of CDs - wang them in the auto disc changer in my Hi-Fi and boom, baby!

Danny
03-Jan-2011, 12:01 PM
I like proper CDs, I've got something to hold and look at and it's something official, not just some digital 1s and 0s that I could accidentally delete - or somehow lose - at the drop of a hat. I've got thousands of MP3s, but I've also got countless dozens of CDs - wang them in the auto disc changer in my Hi-Fi and boom, baby!

see i prefer something intangible i can send wirelessly to any music playing device i own and theres no wasteful and environmentally harmful plastic involved. Plus i've got so many hard drives each with like 80gigs of music each im not at risk of losing it all.

-also, i saw it in 2d and it look superb, i'm officially done with 3d now. neat to watch once or twice as a novelty, does nothing to bring me into a film. in fact it does the opposite more often than not.

MinionZombie
03-Jan-2011, 05:49 PM
3D was pretty pointless on Tron Legacy - the look of the film generally totally over-rode 3D.

Hard drives eh? Yeah, cos those never break. :p Enviro-mentals stole the jobs of cd case makers ... dey-duuk-dair-derbs!

Neil
03-Jan-2011, 09:11 PM
3D was pretty pointless on Tron Legacy - the look of the film generally totally over-rode 3D.

Hard drives eh? Yeah, cos those never break. :p Enviro-mentals stole the jobs of cd case makers ... dey-duuk-dair-derbs!

I'm looking forward to seeing it in clearer 2D :)

MinionZombie
05-Jan-2011, 10:14 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing it in clearer 2D :)

It's on my "to buy" list for Blu-Ray, that's for sure. :)

---------- Post added 05-Jan-2011 at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-Jan-2011 at 11:04 AM ----------

My full thoughts here:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2011/01/tron-legacy-3d.html

Also listening to the soundtrack right now - spiffing. :cool:

Danny
05-Jan-2011, 10:24 AM
derezzed is far, far to short though.

MinionZombie
05-Jan-2011, 04:51 PM
derezzed is far, far to short though.

There's an "original version" on YouTube which is just over 4 minutes long, and not some wanky 'take the official short version and just play it three times' jobby either, have a gander on YouTube to find it. :)

EvilNed
06-Jan-2011, 09:52 AM
There's an "original version" on YouTube which is just over 4 minutes long, and not some wanky 'take the official short version and just play it three times' jobby either, have a gander on YouTube to find it. :)

Pretty sure it's a remix, and not an original version.

I think the beat parts of the Soundtrack is great, but I'm a bit disappointed that it's mainly just a score to a film. I don't have anything against that, but I was really looking forward too another Daft Punk album.

acealive1
08-Jan-2011, 08:06 PM
great film, i've seen it three times so far

Neil
23-Jan-2011, 08:52 AM
Looks like Tron 3 is in the works! Excellent!

zljRr4nFLIc

SymphonicX
23-Jan-2011, 10:00 AM
Can't wait to see the film - but I'm absolutely not paying £23 for me and the fiancee to go watch it at a cinema. I mean, really. £23....$40...R450, (that's rand), $100 reals, 23 euros...!!!! Nightmare!
I'll wait for the 3D version to come on Sky 3D....But I'm SO pumped for the movie, I can't wait...but I'm going to so as to not justify a £23 quid night out for two hours of eye candy.

Neil
23-Jan-2011, 10:34 AM
Can't wait to see the film - but I'm absolutely not paying £23 for me and the fiancee to go watch it at a cinema. I mean, really. £23....$40...R450, (that's rand), $100 reals, 23 euros...!!!! Nightmare!
I'll wait for the 3D version to come on Sky 3D....But I'm SO pumped for the movie, I can't wait...but I'm going to so as to not justify a £23 quid night out for two hours of eye candy.

I actually think it might be more impressive in 2D :)

Anyone seen both versions?

SymphonicX
23-Jan-2011, 11:38 AM
I actually think it might be more impressive in 2D :)

Anyone seen both versions?

I'm a big fan of 3D - when it's done correctly - I've a whole reasoning in my head of why certain films will flourish in 3D and only appear ordinary in 2D - it's a scientific theory really...nothing to do with it just being pretty and new tech...MOST movies though, really don't need a 3D version - I'd hate to have indies like Slumdog made in 3D just for the sake of keeping up with the tech - it has to have an emotional and narrative based grounding for existing - movies like Tron, Avatar and even Alice in Wonderland can easily get away with it.

Pirahna 3D? My Bloody Valentine 3D? No thanks...!

MinionZombie
23-Jan-2011, 12:55 PM
I saw Tron Legacy in 3D, and quite frankly the 3D wasn't much cop - the look of the film itself was so strong that it totally overpowered any 3D, and the 3D wasn't handled in a particularly noticeable fashion - so what was the point in shooting it in 3D, you know? I didn't really feel all that 3D to me - but the visuals of the film (i.e. what you'll see in 2D) were tip top though, so if anything, see it on Imax.

SymphonicX
23-Jan-2011, 01:05 PM
TL DR on my original reply - only to say

Sounds like they missed a trick with the 3D - all I can say is when it's done right (avatar) it's so engrossing, I can't even begin to use proper words without sounding fanboyish

blind2d
23-Jan-2011, 01:10 PM
So I saw this movie in 3D too, recently, and I'd have to agree wholeheartedly with Minion. It was an absolutely stunning film, but I don't think the 3D was at all necessary... Then again, I just don't like 3D in general, so there you go... I'd like to get the original but it's hard to find... For me, the best 3D (and I've said this before) will always be Captain Eo. RIP, MJ.

Neil
24-Jan-2011, 11:36 AM
Tron 3 teaser trailer...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Tron-3-May-Resurrect-Ram-First-Trailer-Details-22790.html

Danny
24-Jan-2011, 12:40 PM
good, it needed another to wrap a lot of stuff up.

Trin
24-Jan-2011, 02:13 PM
I enjoyed Tron Legacy. Tron was one of my favorite movies back in the day and I loved how they tied into the original Tron. It had plot fubar, yes, but overall I was okay.

I loved the setup. How they extended from the original. It was a very natural progression for Flynn... believable yet fantastic, and taking the whole concept started in Tron way over the top. Totally cool to see how he took his original adventure and built it into something phenomenal. I loved the flashbacks.

I also loved the basic plot conflict. The idea that the program rebelled when it's programming conflicted with the direction it saw the virtual world going. And the special effects to make CLU look like the original Flynn were fabulous.

I thought the movie got a bit fruity with the isos. I never quite got their significance.

The ending was way too foreshadowed. We all knew Flynn wasn't getting out. The only thing I didn't see coming was the entire grid blinking out when Flynn and CLU merged. And that bit left me feeling very cheated. Obviously Flynn must have survived if they're talking sequel, but I got irritated that it appeared he died and Sam was just cool with it in the outside world. But whatever.

I also didn't understand the idea of CLU taking an army into the real world. Technologically it doesn't make sense with the whole interface to the world requiring the identity disc and shoving it into the light stream, etc.

Tron (the character) did get the short end of the stick. They'd better do him right in the sequel.

And speaking of sequel... I'm glad to hear there's something on the slate. I hope they do a good job of picking it up. Mainly I hope it's well thought out. (see Matrix for counter-example).

Mr. Clean
18-Mar-2011, 05:54 PM
Bad Ass Movie!

Disney hit another gold mine and will probably have a hard time letting go like the Pirate movies...I can see them squeezing a 3rd movie out of it but they should probably leave it alone after that for 10 years or so. As for the pirate series, I really can't believe their making a 4th. They should have let that one go after the 3rd.

blind2d
18-Mar-2011, 08:56 PM
They should have let that one go before the 3rd.

Fixed.
But yeah, Tron 2 (the REAL title) was quite good, quite good.

Mr. Clean
18-Mar-2011, 08:58 PM
Fixed.

LOL Nice!

Neil
20-Jan-2012, 11:46 AM
Watched this on Bluray last night.

I have to say the visuals and music are just beautiful; It's a real work of art in some places!

The story is a little up and down, but it is a bloody good sequel IMHO, and I do hope that make a 3rd (if the quality story is there)!

MinionZombie
20-Jan-2012, 05:07 PM
Watched this on Bluray last night.

I have to say the visuals and music are just beautiful; It's a real work of art in some places!

The story is a little up and down, but it is a bloody good sequel IMHO, and I do hope that make a 3rd (if the quality story is there)!

Glad you're into it and I'm with you on a 3rd entry - I really enjoy the film, and as you say it's a superb audio/visual experience.

I've no idea why it gets slagged off so often - methinks it's part of that "it's cool to hate it" vibe that some douchebags on podcasts or the internet in general fall into ... it's as if the original has no problems or a ropey script at times (which it does) ... if anything I prefer the sequel to the original personally.