PDA

View Full Version : Surround Sound system help

MikePizzoff
20-Dec-2010, 08:40 PM
Now that I've finally gone Blu and 1080p, I need a good surround sound system.

However, I seem to only be able to find systems that only work with the provided DVD/BD player (IE: when you watch TV or play a video game, surround cuts out and you only get front channel). Seems like they don't even make any that come with a standard receiver anymore?

Can anyone recommend a system that I'll be able to hook my TV, XBOX and Playstation into and still get full surround sound while using those components?

Thanks, guys.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Come on, out of all of you guys that have these incredible home entertainment set-ups, none of you can recommend a good system!?!?

LouCipherr
21-Dec-2010, 01:00 PM
Mike -

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Do you want a recommendation for a new "player" or a "surround sound system" that would work with your other components other than your DVD/BR player? It sounds like the latter, but your description wasn't very clear to me (sorry, it's not even 9am and no coffee = dull brain)

It's kinda hard for me to recommend a "system" per-se, since my home theater/surround sound system is made up of multiple parts. My two left & right front speakers are Polk Audio Model 7A's (many, many years old, but absolutely fantastic sounding. Very full sound, good lows, piercing highs, tight strong mids. Love those speakers!), my rears are very small Minimus 7 speakers, and my center channel is.. shit, now I can't remember.. i'll look at it when I get home. My reciever is a Sony, and I also have a Sony self-powered sub-woofer. The receiver does DD5.1 & DTS (which I am a huge fan of) and sounds pretty goddamn good considering the pieces were cobbled together (ask Dj, he's heard my sound system before) from other places.

Anyway, point is, I can't recommend a good all-in-one "home theater in a box" (HTIAB) type of deal, because I've never ever fiddled with one of those. Most of them, if you don't spend some serious $, may get you by, but they're not going to be "great" systems if you're only spending a few hundred bucks. Most of those HTIAB are just to get sound "around" you and not really blow you away with incredible clarity and punch.

I'll be honest, the way I did it was start with a decent reciever. I bought a sub to go with it, then cobbled together 4 speakers for the 2 fronts & two rears. I eventually added a center channel, then upgraded the rear speakers to the ones I have now. The front two L&R ones were always my Polk Audio's. Once you have the reciever, ALL of your components can be run to it (make sure the receiver has enough inputs for now and any future components) and they will all be broadcast in surround as long as the source (Playstation, Xbox, etc) support true surround.

I feel like I didn't even answer your question, but did that help at all? :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
21-Dec-2010, 01:45 PM
Oh I knew it... I knew it, surround sound question and Lou is in here faster than a fat kid on a cupcake... Preach that DTS Lou... Preach It

Mike, in regards to your question it comes down to what you want to spend.

ONKYO makes some great receivers, but keep this in mind, if you hook up your Blu-Ray player to your receiver via the HDMI port (best way to get lossless sound) then it tends to override all other inputs... It is not supposed to do this, but it is bug.

A lot of it is programming the AMP for various inputs. However, you need an AMP that has at least 2-4 HDMI inputs on it

HDMI 1 - Blu-
HDMI 2 - HD Cable Box
HDMI 3 - XBOX 360
HDMI 4 - PLAYSTATION 3

Now if you aren't rocking HDMI across the board, you may have to read the manual top to bottom to configure other imputs (Coax, SPDIF RCA etc)

My older DD 5.1 Amp only used SPDIF and RCA so I didn't have much configuring to do, but newer amps are like trying to navigate the space station.

SymphonicX
21-Dec-2010, 01:49 PM
I know what you mean - you want a dedicated bit of kit to run your 5.1 rather than it going through a DVD player which acts as a reciever?

I can highly recommend the Pioneer system - I forget the model number but it was designed specifically to run with the xbox 360 - and it'll run your Satellite reciever/decoder, your ps3 and your xbox using the coaxial digital inputs thus equalling true 5.1 surround. It has DTS, 5.1 and Linear PCM up til 96khz for playback.

The only downside to this unit is that it only has two optical inputs....but you can get a switcher from ebay for about 5 quid.

It has all the other connections and a big plus is the design styling which is unique and pretty sexy...
In fact I found you a link!

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/3272363/Pioneer-HTPGS1-Xbox-360-Surround-Sound-System/Product.html

I can highly, highly recommend it. My centre speaker has gone a bit dodge because my cat likes to stretch his awesome little body on my TV stand thereby knocking it off from time to time!

This is an all in one kit but the features on it don't stop with it's design style - it comes with a microphone that measures your sitting position and rebalances your speakers to get the best and truest results. It has all the functions you'd expect including some basic EQ stuff and presets which match your content, such as GAMING, MOVIE etc etc - the sound from it is best suited to smaller rooms rather than a massive home cinema, because they are smaller speakers but don't be fooled - it's fucking loud and makes a beautifully crisp, natural sound.

Unfortunately I think it's discontinued - but if you're ebay happy, then pick one up for about $200 dollars...exceptionally good value when new, should be good value second hand!

LouCipherr
21-Dec-2010, 02:43 PM
Oh I knew it... I knew it, surround sound question and Lou is in here faster than a fat kid on a cupcake... Preach that DTS Lou... Preach It

DAMN RIGHT! Screw that Dolby Digital crap, go DTS or don't do it at all! :lol: :lol: :D

(can you tell I'm a huge proponent of DTS? :D)

DjfunkmasterG
21-Dec-2010, 04:02 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/iWgjrN3UCFY/0.jpg

iWgjrN3UCFY

LouCipherr
21-Dec-2010, 04:16 PM
Oh yeah? I see your Dolby Digital TrueHD and raise you one DTS-MA:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/8I9ZvDrKUO4/0.jpg
:fin:

:lol:

DjfunkmasterG
21-Dec-2010, 04:37 PM
YEAH, well I raise you a 7.1 HD DVD Release of TERMINATOR 2

http://www.imagion.de/t2/

DAMN! This is the back of a YAMAHA DTS-HD MA 7.1 Amp.

http://tech2.in.com/media/images/2010/Mar/img_210502_con_hdmi_receiver_450x360.jpg

LOOK AT ALL THOSE CONNECTIONS

(settle down Lou, get a towel to clean yourself up)

LouCipherr
21-Dec-2010, 04:50 PM
YEAH, well I raise you a 7.1 HD DVD Release of TERMINATOR 2

Click this, fucker: DTS-HD Becoming The Blu-Ray Standard (http://www.blu-raystats.com/NewsLog/2010/01/15/dts-hd-master-audio-becoming-the-blu-ray-standard/)

That article may be from Jan. 10, 2010, but it's interesting BR has been trending towards DTS-HD all the way back at the beginning of 2010. :p

DTS-MA is just as capable too, my friend: "DTS-HD Master Audio may be transported to AV receivers in 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 channels, at lossless quality, in one of three ways depending on player and/or receiver support"

:fin:

...and I don't get excited looking at pictures like that - that shit gives me a fucking headache. Who the hell wants to deal with all those fucking inputs for their home theatre setup? I sure as shit don't. :lol: :lol:

MikePizzoff
21-Dec-2010, 06:10 PM
I can highly recommend the Pioneer system - I forget the model number but it was designed specifically to run with the xbox 360 - and it'll run your Satellite reciever/decoder, your ps3 and your xbox using the coaxial digital inputs thus equalling true 5.1 surround. It has DTS, 5.1 and Linear PCM up til 96khz for playback.

Sounds cool, but I am ideally looking for one that will be able to handle gaming systems as well as my cable box and my blu-ray player. Hopefully without having to switch any wires out whenever I change what format I'm using. Also, from reading it's description and some of it's reviews it seems like it's great for playing XBOX but when you listen to music or watch TV you have to do some adjustments to the audio.

I'll keep doing research on it, though. Thanks man.

Also, thanks Brian and Gary - I'm really looking for an all-in-one for now, though. My girlfriend and I have room mates, and the surround sound would be for our room - don't need something powerful enough for a living room (yet).

LouCipherr
21-Dec-2010, 06:36 PM
Also, thanks Brian and Gary - I'm really looking for an all-in-one for now, though. My girlfriend and I have room mates, and the surround sound would be for our room - don't need something powerful enough for a living room (yet).

In that case, yes, you'd want something completely unlike what I have at the moment. :lol: Your room mates would get kinda pissed when an explosion goes off and rattles the rafters in the house. :D

For a bedroom, an all-in-one would be fine. What we have (and what I have in particular) could be considered overkill, even for a living room. My system has rattled my movie posters off the wall before - not sure if that's a good thing or not. lol

Unfortunately, since I've never had experience with an All-in-One system, I have no idea which way to point you. All I can say is, do lots of research, and read people's online reviews who have bought the AIO systems. Even though you can get some real dipshits who have no idea what they're talking about in reviews, you can usually spot the 'knowledgeable' ones when you see them. Read 'em carefully, make sure it fits your bill, then empty your wallet accordingly. ;)

DjfunkmasterG
21-Dec-2010, 07:45 PM
In that case, yes, you'd want something completely unlike what I have at the moment. :lol: Your room mates would get kinda pissed when an explosion goes off and rattles the rafters in the house. :D

For a bedroom, an all-in-one would be fine. What we have (and what I have in particular) could be considered overkill, even for a living room. My system has rattled my movie posters off the wall before - not sure if that's a good thing or not. lol

Unfortunately, since I've never had experience with an All-in-One system, I have no idea which way to point you. All I can say is, do lots of research, and read people's online reviews who have bought the AIO systems. Even though you can get some real dipshits who have no idea what they're talking about in reviews, you can usually spot the 'knowledgeable' ones when you see them. Read 'em carefully, make sure it fits your bill, then empty your wallet accordingly. ;)

This is what I did....

I took an ALTEC Lansing 5.1 system and connected it through the Analog outs on the back of the TV... this way everything going into the TV would have sound coming out through analog out. Since BR and XBOX are 5.1 digital and analog even using HDMI the sound will be really great... Every WS TV worth a damn has analog outputs on the back of the unit. A simple investment of $100.00 in a 5.1 PC style speaker system will do the trick and that is your best bet for all in one Mike

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

DAMN RIGHT! Screw that Dolby Digital crap, go DTS or don't do it at all! :lol: :lol: :D

(can you tell I'm a huge proponent of DTS? :D)

Just remember Lou... Dolby Digital is what cinemas were best know for, although it is not the 1st digital surround sound system for cinema. the first digital surround system for cinema was CDS, and the movie to use it was DICK TRACY... Batman Returns was the first film to use DOLBY DIGITAL, DTS wouldn't exist without CDS and DOLBY DIGITAL

:shifty: not too mention.... DTS units use DOLBY DIGITAL PROCESSORS :lol:
OUQKFaClCBc

K3_HHZFi0As

Zombie Moans
8yymvFY-si8

LouCipherr
21-Dec-2010, 09:10 PM
Just remember Lou... Dolby Digital is what cinemas were best know for, although it is not the 1st digital surround sound system for cinema. the first digital surround system for cinema was CDS, and the movie to use it was DICK TRACY... Batman Returns was the first film to use DOLBY DIGITAL, DTS wouldn't exist without CDS and DOLBY DIGITAL

:shifty: not too mention.... DTS units use DOLBY DIGITAL PROCESSORS :lol:

"were" known for.. that sounds like past tense to me. :p

Not only that, you say DTS wouldn't exist without DD. Well, the way you described it, DD wouldn't exist without CDS. So I ask, what's your point?

You and I have been through this 100 times, troll-boy. :lol: DTS has better sound to the ears - you've heard it yourself through my surround setup. I don't care if DTS uses DD processors, I don't care if DTS wouldn't exist without other technologies - the bottom line is, DTS is a smoother, more balanced sound than DD to my ears. At that point, what difference do the symantecs make? DTS rocks, DTS-MA is being used more than DD on Blu-Rays.

From the link I posed above: Universal Studios religiously uses DTS-HD Master Audio on their releases. Disney, Lionsgate and Magnolia Home Entertainment have started using DTS-HD Master Audio as a matter of course. Sony Pictures Home Entertainment went from Dolby TrueHD to DTS-HD Master Audio at the beginning of 2010, as well as an apparent similar defection under way over at Warner Home Entertainment. Sony said their move to DTS-HD Master Audio was one of consumer preference.

:p

childofgilead
21-Dec-2010, 10:27 PM
cnet.com has alot of user reviews on both component systems and all in one systems..I have a Philips all in one I bought from the Mecca of cut rate consumer electronics, Wal Mart, and I have to keep the sub sound cut all the way down in my apt, otherwise the upstairs people get vibrating picture frames..speaker placement is also really important, but if you don't have alot of room like me, an all in one is probably better, even if sound fidelity isn't as top notch as you'll get with a huge system.

DjfunkmasterG
21-Dec-2010, 10:53 PM
"were" known for.. that sounds like past tense to me. :p

Not only that, you say DTS wouldn't exist without DD. Well, the way you described it, DD wouldn't exist without CDS. So I ask, what's your point?

You and I have been through this 100 times, toll-boy. :lol: DTS has better sound to the ears - you've heard it yourself through my surround setup. I don't care if DTS uses DD processors, I don't care if DTS wouldn't exist without other technologies - the bottom line is, DTS is a smoother, more balanced sound than DD to my ears. At that point, what difference do the symantecs make? DTS rocks, DTS-MA is being used more than DD on Blu-Rays.

From the link I posed above: Universal Studios religiously uses DTS-HD Master Audio on their releases. Disney, Lionsgate and Magnolia Home Entertainment have started using DTS-HD Master Audio as a matter of course. Sony Pictures Home Entertainment went from Dolby TrueHD to DTS-HD Master Audio at the beginning of 2010, as well as an apparent similar defection under way over at Warner Home Entertainment. Sony said their move to DTS-HD Master Audio was one of consumer preference.

:p

But most consumers can't tell that difference... they should have said enthusiast preference which is more accurate. Joe Bob Jim and his trailer park trash family don't give two shits about DTS, their WS TV is a glued together contraption of two CRTs some how welded tomake 16:9 :lol:

DOLBY FTW!!!!

However, this is a moot point anyway, the folks at The Bomb Shelter group think Blu-Ray is coming to an end because the Ultimate Matrix Boxset on Blu-Ray is $15.00 :lol:

its a frickin catalog title, no one would pay $65.00 especially for Matrix 2 7 3

krakenslayer
21-Dec-2010, 11:01 PM
Mike - What it sounds like you need is a single Digital Optical cable running from your TV to the included BR Player/Amp. If you use the HTK without it, the system will only play DVDs/BRs in surround sound. What the digital optical cable does is carry the audio signal from the TV to the HTK where it is outputted in surround sound (as long as your other appliances are connected to the TV via HDMI).

childofgilead
21-Dec-2010, 11:58 PM
Yeah, definitely sounds like running cables from your TV to your sound system is the way to go..I have two cables running from my tv to my receiver, so I get surround sound even on cable..you may want to check the back of your television and see what types of audio output options you have, that way you'll know what your options are

:)

DjfunkmasterG
22-Dec-2010, 03:28 AM
Most HDTV's have 5.1 Analog and Digital Optical out

MikePizzoff
22-Dec-2010, 04:54 AM
Page 2 of this thread = the perfect answer. Right on. Thanks guys. Also, child, I'm gonna check out some Phillips AIO's.

I'll let you know how the search goes. Won't be making a purchase until after my girlfriend returns (after X-mas).

LouCipherr
22-Dec-2010, 12:45 PM
But most consumers can't tell that difference... they should have said enthusiast preference which is more accurate. Joe Bob Jim and his trailer park trash family don't give two shits about DTS, their WS TV is a glued together contraption of two CRTs some how welded tomake 16:9

DOLBY FTW!!!!

And you think Joe Bob and Jim and his trailer park trash care about DOLBY?

Dude, lay off the weed. It's affecting your thought processes. :lol:

bassman
22-Dec-2010, 01:25 PM
Joe Bob Jim's subwoofer for his "see-rown sown"

http://thereifixedit.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/129069051581465561.jpg

DjfunkmasterG
22-Dec-2010, 01:51 PM
And you think Joe Bob and Jim and his trailer park trash care about DOLBY?

Dude, lay off the weed. It's affecting your thought processes. :lol:

Did YOU just tell ME to lay off the weed? :lol: Man, that's rich. :lol:

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Joe Bob Jim's subwoofer for his "see-rown sown"

http://thereifixedit.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/129069051581465561.jpg

I bet its DTS certified, just look at the hack job wiring.

LouCipherr
22-Dec-2010, 02:54 PM
Did YOU just tell ME to lay off the weed? :lol: Man, that's rich. :lol:
Why yes, yes I did. :lol: :shifty: :lol:

I bet its DTS certified, just look at the hack job wiring.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/FORUM%20PICS%202/rabbitduckseason.gif
:D

DjfunkmasterG
22-Dec-2010, 04:50 PM
Why yes, yes I did. :lol: :shifty: :lol:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/FORUM%20PICS%202/rabbitduckseason.gif
:D

Pretty much... same as GC used to say... WHAT? Their dicks are bigger than ours.... BOMB THEM!

MikePizzoff
23-Dec-2010, 08:20 AM
Probably gonna go with this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SONY+-+BRAVIA+850W+5.1-Ch.+3D/Wi-Fi+ready+Blu-ray+Home+Theater+System/1443404.p?id=1218268572832&skuId=1443404 It's got digital optical in, so I'll be good. Plus it's only $250 for 850 watts of power. Annnd it comes with a 3D Blu-Ray player, so I'll be set once I buy a 3D TV... 5 years from now.

LouCipherr
23-Dec-2010, 02:09 PM
Probably gonna go with this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SONY+-+BRAVIA+850W+5.1-Ch.+3D/Wi-Fi+ready+Blu-ray+Home+Theater+System/1443404.p?id=1218268572832&skuId=1443404 It's got digital optical in, so I'll be good. Plus it's only $250 for 850 watts of power. Annnd it comes with a 3D Blu-Ray player, so I'll be set once I buy a 3D TV... 5 years from now.

Mike -

That will probably be a good choice. I checked out reviews of that system via google search, and it's getting really good reviews across the board. The only thing that I think could be of concern is the subwoofer. See below:

Source: http://www.trustedreviews.com/home-cinema/review/2010/07/02/Sony-BDV-E370/p3

The BDV-E370’s sound isn’t as brash as recent systems from Samsung and Panasonic. It’s a little more laid back, which actually makes for a more enjoyable listen. And that’s not to say it lacks muscle – the system belts out Hellboy II’s DTS HD MA track (Lou's comment: HAH! bite me, Dj! :lol:) with loud, gutsy fervour – but there seems to be more control and smoothness in the high-frequencies and greater midrange authority.

Hellboy’s scrap with the Elemental is a wonderfully sparky encounter through this system, with crisp effects scattering around the expansive soundstage and plenty of attack behind the constant crashes and smashes. It doesn’t neglect subtle details either, from the gentle tinkling of broken glass to the musical nuances of the score.

Its weak link is bass reproduction. The subwoofer falls into the same trap as many passive all-in-one system subs, sounding too boomy and overpowering the other speakers during energetic action scenes. During quieter passages it’s much more sympathetic, offering extra depth and atmosphere, but when the action hots up you’ll be tempted to turn it down.

However, the BDV-E370 is better with music than you might expect. There’s an openness and clarity to the sound of stereo CD playback that makes for a rewarding listen, and the sub suddenly seems more nimble and responsive. Our reference separates blow it out of the water, but by one-box system standards it’s an impressive effort.

It could just be the audio mastering on Hellboy that caused the sub issues with this review, however, that being said, I'd say that would probably be perfect for the setting you're going to be using it in as long as it has the inputs you require with your current setup.

DjfunkmasterG
23-Dec-2010, 02:17 PM
Wait a second, they're bitching because the BSS/Sub is too overpowering... the whole point of the cinema experience is when something blows up you shake pictures off the wall, crack the drywall, and break a window. I really don't see this as a downside.

Oh and LOU, all of those systems... would be $100 cheaper without the DTS HD-MA licensing fee, and DOLBY TRUE HD sounds as good and comes standard, with no extra cost. :D

DTS = Dude This Sucks (I got raped on price because of a BS licensing fee) or Dude This Sucks - Dolby Digital is Way better (Check the specs) :fin:

EDIT: In honor of Lou's reason explanation

In SAM JACKSON TONE

BACON MUTHERFUCKER, DO YOU EAT IT?

LouCipherr
29-Dec-2010, 07:38 PM
Wait a second, they're bitching because the BSS/Sub is too overpowering... the whole point of the cinema experience is when something blows up you shake pictures off the wall, crack the drywall, and break a window. I really don't see this as a downside.

While I agree for the most part, clarity is key.

Oh and LOU, all of those systems... would be $100 cheaper without the DTS HD-MA licensing fee, and DOLBY TRUE HD sounds as good and comes standard, with no extra cost. :D

If that's true, then my amp, which I bought what, 5 years ago, would've been less than $100? Bullshit, Dj. While I agree there's "some" cost built in, it ain't THAT much. There's no way on a $200 reciever that does DTS - $100 of it is DTS licensing fees.

C'mon man, now you're just blowing smoke. :fin: :p :lol:

MikePizzoff
29-Dec-2010, 11:17 PM
Okay, now that I've got the surround sound - I have a problem (of course).

All of my devices connected to the TV are via HDMI. I run the digital optical cable from my TV to the surround sound receiver, but no sound comes out. However, when I switch the digital optical cable to another device, the surround works perfectly, so I know it's not the cable or the receiver that's messing up.

I've fucked around with the audio output settings on the TV and it's all set-up the way it should be for optical out. Very frustrating - should have figured it wouldn't be something that'd easily work for me.

LouCipherr
30-Dec-2010, 01:03 PM
Okay, now that I've got the surround sound - I have a problem (of course).

All of my devices connected to the TV are via HDMI. I run the digital optical cable from my TV to the surround sound receiver, but no sound comes out. However, when I switch the digital optical cable to another device, the surround works perfectly, so I know it's not the cable or the receiver that's messing up.

I've fucked around with the audio output settings on the TV and it's all set-up the way it should be for optical out. Very frustrating - should have figured it wouldn't be something that'd easily work for me.

Mike - do you see any settings in either the amp or the TV for "bitstream" audio? I have my Blu-Ray (or was it the HD-DVD player? I can't remember now.. shit) hooked up via the optical audio cable, and in order for me to pump the sound into my amp via that port, I have to make sure that the player is set for "bitstream" for the audio. If I don't, then no sound. Not sure if that's the problem, since you said it's set up for optical out, but I figured I'd throw that out there. It sounds like a setting in the TV that's being overlooked, but I can't say for sure.

The other solution could be to use a coax audio connection. Since my amp only has one optical input, I hook one of the players via the optical and my other player via the coax input. Not sure if you even have a coax audio input on your amp, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Usually, something like this is just a setting overlooked. I've done this before and it's taken a few hours to figure out - and once I did figure it out, I wanted to smack myself on the forehead because the solution was something so simple it pissed me off. :lol:

Trin
30-Dec-2010, 02:54 PM
@Lou - I love my ancient Polk Audio midrange speakers!! I have them paired with a top-of-the-line set of Infinity bookshelf speakers (the kind from the 80's which are like 2 feet tall) for super crisp high end and a Sunfire True Subwoofer (powered sub, 2500 watts, one channel). All run by a Denon AVR-2600 (which needs to be replaced).

I don't think I could ever go with a passive subwoofer. It's not the big loud rattly bass that is missing from the passive ones. It's the low ambient almost imperceptible bass. The quiet bass. An active sub just does that stuff better. Plus, you have to take what you get with a passive sub. My active sub can be tailored to the acoustics of the room.

I've just upgraded to a plasma tv and need to either get a surround sound system to go with it or move my main stereo system to pair up with the tv. So I'm very interested in hearing how this thread goes.

LouCipherr
30-Dec-2010, 03:34 PM
@Lou - I love my ancient Polk Audio midrange speakers!! I have them paired with a top-of-the-line set of Infinity bookshelf speakers (the kind from the 80's which are like 2 feet tall) for super crisp high end and a Sunfire True Subwoofer (powered sub, 2500 watts, one channel). All run by a Denon AVR-2600 (which needs to be replaced).

I don't think I could ever go with a passive subwoofer. It's not the big loud rattly bass that is missing from the passive ones. It's the low ambient almost imperceptible bass. The quiet bass. An active sub just does that stuff better. Plus, you have to take what you get with a passive sub. My active sub can be tailored to the acoustics of the room.

I've just upgraded to a plasma tv and need to either get a surround sound system to go with it or move my main stereo system to pair up with the tv. So I'm very interested in hearing how this thread goes.

Dude, I've listened to a TON of speakers in my lifetime, and nothing compares to the older Polk Audio speakers from "back in the day" so-to-speak. Believe it or not, waaaay back when Hard Drives were expensive as shit, I traded two 100mb (not gigabyte, megabyte!) hard drives for these speakers from some dude in Baltimore. I believe I got the best end of the deal 'cause those HDD's are worthless now, and I have a timeless, classic set of speakers from Polk. :thumbsup:

The Polk's I have are these (Model 7A's):
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/Useless%20Shit%202/PolkModel7A.jpg

....and maan do I love these things.

As far as subwoofers - the one I have is an active Sony sub. I'm not huge on $ony products to be honest ($ony and I have a long, bumpy history together that has left a bad taste in my mouth) but this sub does a really good job. I'll have to find out which model it is, 'cause I really don't remember. I do know this: I've rattled movie posters right off my basement walls while watching some flicks! :D Mine has a frequency roll-off adjustment, so I can determine the freq's going into the sub - that and the sub has it's own volume adjustment if needed. Usually I control it via the amp, but it does have the capability. ;)

Surround sound - there's nothing quite like it, is there? Talk about immersing yourself in a movie. :D I hope we can get Mike's system going for him. I'd be just as frustrated with the problems he's having. I bet it's a simple adjustment, and it's a shame we don't live closer together as it'd be a lot easier to diagnose problems while actually being in the room with the equipment.

MikePizzoff
30-Dec-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks for responding, dude. I have the TV's Digital Audio/SPDIF setting on "RAW", which I'm pretty sure is what you want for digital optical. However, I also tried the other option, PCM, and neither worked.

There's an MTS/SAP setting that's set to "Stereo" but it's grayed out, so I can't change it. I'm thinking that THAT is my culprit, but I have no clue how to make it accessible.

I'm going to do a little more messing around with it today.

Trin
30-Dec-2010, 06:52 PM
As far as subwoofers - the one I have is an active Sony sub. I'm not huge on $ony products to be honest ($ony and I have a long, bumpy history together that has left a bad taste in my mouth) but this sub does a really good job. I'll have to find out which model it is, 'cause I really don't remember. I do know this: I've rattled movie posters right off my basement walls while watching some flicks! :D Mine has a frequency roll-off adjustment, so I can determine the freq's going into the sub - that and the sub has it's own volume adjustment if needed. Usually I control it via the amp, but it does have the capability. ;)
I'll have check to see what my Polks are. They are a fairly small set of speakers. But they blew me away when I first heard them. On their own they wouldn't be enough. But they combine really well with the Infinity speakers (which at the time were the gold standard for nailing the high frequencies) and the Sunfire sub.

The Sunfire Subwoofer is really a thing of beauty. Mine is actually the 1996 version from when it first came out.

http://www.sunfire.com/productdetail.asp?id=9

It has a built-in variable crossover, volume adjustment, and phase adjustment. Dual 10" woofers pound it out while still hitting down to 18Hz frequency response. It can rattle the front porch railing while still providing a smooth and consistent sound from lighter bass tracks. I have the other speakers rigged with a cutoff to exclude the low frequencies so it can shine.

LouCipherr
30-Dec-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks for responding, dude. I have the TV's Digital Audio/SPDIF setting on "RAW", which I'm pretty sure is what you want for digital optical. However, I also tried the other option, PCM, and neither worked.

There's an MTS/SAP setting that's set to "Stereo" but it's grayed out, so I can't change it. I'm thinking that THAT is my culprit, but I have no clue how to make it accessible.

This might sound like a stupid question, but these settings are for the audio output of the tv, corrrect? I know it sounds silly, but I have to ask. ;)

One thing you can do is plug the optical cable into your tv, and don't plug the other end in, just look into the end of it. If the signal from you TV is being sent through the cable, you'll see a flashing, usually red, light at the end of the cable. If the cable end is not flashing, your TV is putting out through the optical cable and it's something else. ;)

http://www.sunfire.com/productdetail.asp?id=9

Wow that looks like an awesome sub! :stunned: I like the fact that it has phase adjustment - something mine doesn't have. :( I bet you could piss off the neighbors 3 blocks away with that kinda beast!

Trin, it sounds like you're a serious audiophile. This is great to know, 'cause most people don't like talking tech with me on subjects like this. :D My setup isn't as kick ass as yours, but that's mostly due to financial limitations (and wifely limitations.. lmfao)

Oh, and I said somewhere earlier that I couldn't remember my center channel. It's a Fosgate. Not top of the line by any means, but it does a great job for as a center channel. I'll tell ya what though, I hung it on my wall above the TV and ho-ly shit is it a heavy beast!

Trin
31-Dec-2010, 05:06 PM
Wow that looks like an awesome sub! :stunned: I like the fact that it has phase adjustment - something mine doesn't have. :( I bet you could piss off the neighbors 3 blocks away with that kinda beast!
It was a $1250 subwoofer when I bought it 15 years ago. Cost as much as the rest of the system combined.

Trin, it sounds like you're a serious audiophile. This is great to know, 'cause most people don't like talking tech with me on subjects like this. :D My setup isn't as kick ass as yours, but that's mostly due to financial limitations (and wifely limitations.. lmfao)
In college I built my own subwoofer. A 15" speaker I bought for $45 at a car stereo warehouse auction, a car stereo powered amp (given to me), a crossover, and a box I made out of medite (hardest composite wood availalbe at the time) and carpet. Floor facing bass-reflex design with the speaker offcenter and a porthole. It did okay. Under $100. That was me as a broke audiophile.

Then I got outta college and was young and single and making money. And that led to Denon, Polk, Infinity, and the Sunfire. Hard to imagine spending that much money on sound, but I did. My best friend bought Carver and to this day we argue over Carver vs. Denon.

Now I'm married and I haven't upgraded my stereo in over 15 years. So I feel your pain brotha!! :(

And I bet there's nothing wrong with that Fosgate!!