PDA

View Full Version : OK... Anyone seen TRUE GRIT yet?

DjfunkmasterG
23-Dec-2010, 03:20 PM
Spill it, your thoughts, opinions whatever

BillyRay
23-Dec-2010, 03:55 PM
Spill it, your thoughts, opinions whatever

John Wayne's best role.

He deserved the Oscar.

Or are we talking the Coen Bros remake?

Wasn't too sure, since you JUST saw Jaws.

Don't know which movies are "new to you".

:poke:

:D

DjfunkmasterG
23-Dec-2010, 04:02 PM
John Wayne's best role.

He deserved the Oscar.

Or are we talking the Coen Bros remake?

Wasn't too sure, since you JUST saw Jaws.

Don't know which movies are "new to you".

:poke:

:D

:fin:

The remake :lol:

AcesandEights
23-Dec-2010, 04:54 PM
John Wayne's best role.

He deserved the Oscar.

http://blogs.smarter.com/blogs/oscar%20the%20grouch.jpg

Is giving someone "The Oscar" some sort of entertainment industry jargon for banishing one from the industry and forcing them to live in a garbage can? If so, then I may just agree with you.

bassman
23-Dec-2010, 05:20 PM
I watched the original last night. Hadn't seen it in many years. I still love the flick...but did Wayne REALLY deserve that oscar? Seems to me it was more like a career oscar rather than for this particular role.

Anyway....I already started a thread on the remake. Can't wait to see it. Trying to convince my old man to go with me but he's a Wayne loyalist, so that makes it a bit difficult...

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

I was just looking at the remake's IMDB page....Jarlath Conroy plays the undertaker...

wayzim
24-Dec-2010, 08:04 PM
Just saw it today as a part of my get away from Christmas plan.

True Grit(69) is still one of my favorites, and 'Yes.' I did read the book as well.
While comments floated around that this new version is closer to the source, I felt it was minimally so in a very utilitarian adaption of the Portis novel. Both films had elements which the other didn't, and I thought The Dukes delivery of some lines had more punch than Bridge's burnt out Rooster Cogburn.
Even Josh Brolin, underused as Chaney( Jeff Corey got loads more screen time) almost channeled the former actor at times.
The shining star in the Coen Bros film was the young actress they got to play Mattie Ross. Hailee Steinfeld hit one out of the park in her first major role, since it's Mattie who makes the movie, not her grownup costars. Kim Darby played it more as an outwardly spoiled girl while Hailee gave us teasing glimpses at a truly strong young woman. I see a bright future for this girl.
Near the end of the movie, I almost felt rushed through it, though the desperate ride to save Mattie's life had about the same level of urgency as in the first movie (and yes, it prompted some man tears ). The coda, I thought, was almost anticlimatic with a rather lackluster wrap.
Still, I did enjoy this new version, and might just go see it again.

Wayne Z

clanglee
03-Jan-2011, 12:56 AM
I was just looking at the remake's IMDB page....Jarlath Conroy plays the undertaker...

Yup. . I was about to mention that when I saw you already had. He was pretty good in his small role.

I agree pretty much with Wayzim. It has been FOREVER since I have seen the original however so I was not put out by any differences really.

I would like to point out that the movie was great for another reason as well though. The Coens have always been wonderful at the casting of an interesting and wide assortment of characters. . and this movie is no exception. Even the smallest of roles stands out and will make an impact. Some may just see them as odd. . .I see them as memorable.

Neil
15-Feb-2011, 09:39 PM
Well, my super power kicked in straight away during this film! My super power for spotting faces! I've searched and seen someone else spotted it! So who else who's seen this film spotted it? If you did make sure you SPOILER tag it so as not to spoil the fun :)

krakenslayer
15-Feb-2011, 10:05 PM
Yes, good old J.C., who, in another film some of us might remember, would often name-check a certain other celebrity of the same initials, along with his folks.

I won't say his name (in spoiler tags), but if someone else wants to... that would be aaaall right. ;)

Neil
16-Feb-2011, 12:04 PM
Well, my super power kicked in straight away during this film! My super power for spotting faces! I've searched and seen someone else spotted it! So who else who's seen this film spotted it? If you did make sure you SPOILER tag it so as not to spoil the fun :)
OK! A hint! "Day of the Dead"...

MinionZombie
16-Feb-2011, 05:52 PM
You better believe I spotted you know who in the flick.

Saw it yesterday at the cinema - went with my Dad, which was quite a nice change of pace. Haven't been to the flicks with him since The Matrix, if memory serves ... my Dad really enjoyed the flick, as did I. Really dug it.

Bridges was fantastic, Damon was tip top, and Steinfeld was nothing short of phenomenal ... it's ridiculous that she's nominated in the Supporting Actress category when she's clearly the lead ... some say it's to give her a better chance, but it's nonsense when she's clearly the lead. She really held her own - and then some - amongst acting big wigs like Bridges and Damon.

So yeah, I loved it - haven't seen the Wayne version ... ... yet ... but plan to at some point, and give that a watch with my Dad too (who is quite fond of the Wayne version from his youth). :)

Neil
16-Feb-2011, 09:42 PM
You better believe I spotted you know who in the flick.

Saw it yesterday at the cinema - went with my Dad, which was quite a nice change of pace. Haven't been to the flicks with him since The Matrix, if memory serves ... my Dad really enjoyed the flick, as did I. Really dug it.

Bridges was fantastic, Damon was tip top, and Steinfeld was nothing short of phenomenal ... it's ridiculous that she's nominated in the Supporting Actress category when she's clearly the lead ... some say it's to give her a better chance, but it's nonsense when she's clearly the lead. She really held her own - and then some - amongst acting big wigs like Bridges and Damon.

So yeah, I loved it - haven't seen the Wayne version ... ... yet ... but plan to at some point, and give that a watch with my Dad too (who is quite fond of the Wayne version from his youth). :)

I found the speech hard to follow/understand at times... It was a nice solid gritty western, but I think I still (fondly) prefer the John Wayne version!?

MinionZombie
17-Feb-2011, 05:42 PM
My thoughts on True Grit:

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2011/02/double-bill-mini-cine-musings-true.html

Of the Coen's recent batch of films, I really dug No Country For Old Men, enjoyed the 'standard Coens' Burn After Reading, and respected their unapologeticly exclusive A Serious Man - but out of the three, No Country was the one that really stood out to me as the Coens at full speed. Similarly, True Grit has that same sense of the Coen brothers in full swing.

At the time of writing this I haven't seen the John Wayne version - but I plan to at some point - so I can only go on this 2010 version (more a re-telling of the book, than a re-making of the movie, according to the Coens), but in short I loved it.

Jeff Bridges does a fantastic job at portraying the gruff, almost belligerent Cogburn - the mix of the eye patch, the grumbling near-unintelligible drawl, and a sense that this is Cogburn makes for a potent package ... it's not Jeff Bridges, it's not The Dude, it is Cogburn, and he's a tough man you would hate upon first meeting until you had been through some trials side-by-side that would earn you his respect.

Matt Damon plays it much more straight-laced, with a few flourishes here and there (his cocky flashing of his lawman's badge), but it's Hailee Steinfeld who steals the entire show. Her performance is phenomenal, and all the more so as this is her first movie. For a 13 year old girl (at the time of filming) to be so in command of her scenes - and indeed in command of Bridges and Damon throughout the movie - is just superb. Quite frankly the Academy have done themselves a disservice by not putting her into the Leading Actress category for the Oscars (she was instead nominated for Supporting Actress - when she's unquestionably the only prominent Actress in the entire movie), but then it's not the first time that the Academy have made a daft decision (and not the first for this year's show either - after all, where is Christopher Nolan's Best Director nomination?!).

Roger Deakins cinematography is, of course, beautiful - albeit less adventurous than what he provided in 2007's luxurious, poetic, and meandering The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Rounding out the package even Jarlath Conroy turns up in the movie. "Who?" you might ask - well, if you're a fan of George A. Romero's Day of the Dead, then you'll know him as the hard-drinking Irish radio operator McDermott. So that was a nice little cherry on top of a decidedly well made Sundae.

Highly recommended.

While Cogburn's speech - or rather Bridges' vocal performance - may be hard to follow at times, I felt it was just the right side of unintelligible. You aren't supposed to understand every word he says, rather you should get the jist of what he's saying, although I understood most of what he said throughout the movie ... the Cogburn dialogue was never really an issue. If anything is served the character, rather than detracted.

AcesandEights
17-Feb-2011, 06:54 PM
My super power for spotting faces! I've searched and seen someone else spotted it! So who else who's seen this film spotted it?

Yes, good old J.C.

???
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/stellaebay/518596877_l.jpg

Neil
17-Feb-2011, 08:11 PM
^^ LOL!

But seriously you dead heads should be ashamed of yourselves!

clanglee
17-Feb-2011, 08:36 PM
So should we go back and spoiler tag the posts where we mention youknowwho being in the movie before your little challange in the same thread?

Neil
18-Feb-2011, 09:00 AM
So should we go back and spoiler tag the posts where we mention youknowwho being in the movie before your little challange in the same thread?
I can't see anyone mentioning it before my challenge? I can see MZ blerting it out after it though :)

Neil
18-Feb-2011, 09:00 AM
I can't see anyone mentioning it in this thread before my challenge? I can see MZ blerting it out after it though :)

MinionZombie
18-Feb-2011, 10:19 AM
I can't see anyone mentioning it before my challenge? I can see MZ blerting it out after it though :)

Oh yeah, whoops - forgot to spoiler tag in the quoted review bit. :p

Tagged it now though.

So who are those who haven't spotted who it was? I recognised him straight away, although I was aware at the same time that he was in the role he was in ... but even without that prior knowledge that I'd half-forgotten-about, I would have spotted him in an instant.

Neil
18-Feb-2011, 11:30 AM
^^ I didn't know he was in it, and recognised him straight away due to my super power!

MinionZombie
18-Feb-2011, 04:16 PM
Interestingly when I was watching it, the guy Cogburn faces off with near the end I recognised - but he was under so much make-up I thought it was Alex Winter ... when in fact it was Barry Pepper, which made more sense. :o

clanglee
20-Feb-2011, 11:43 PM
[/COLOR]
I can't see anyone mentioning it before my challenge? I can see MZ blerting it out after it though :) Really?

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

[/COLOR]I was just looking at the remake's IMDB page....Jarlath Conroy plays the undertaker... here. . . and then my response. . . .

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Yup. . I was about to mention that when I saw you already had. He was pretty good in his small role.. Here.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

DjfunkmasterG
21-Feb-2011, 06:31 PM
I hate to burst the bubble of anyone who is a John Wayne fan, but The Dude was a much better Cogburn than The Duke. JW was just JW with an eye patch. JB was Rooster Cogburn, never once did I say Hey, that is just JB with an eye patch... The Dude is the better RC

bassman
21-Feb-2011, 06:48 PM
Really?

They never notice what I say. :(

:p

I hate to burst the bubble of anyone who is a John Wayne fan, but The Dude was a much better Cogburn than The Duke. JW was just JW with an eye patch. JB was Rooster Cogburn, never once did I say Hey, that is just JB with an eye patch... The Dude is the better RC

I would have to agree. Everyone says Wayne was great in the original, but as you said, he's just wearing an eye patch. It wasn't worthy of an Oscar, imo. He was never a "chameleon" actor. Bridges on the other hand can convince you he's an entirely different person....