30-Dec-2010, 04:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5yyWZ2Z6Ps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkx9dggguVc

Reminds me of this game I played on PS2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Mzdbhf31Q

I think I'm going to preorder it.

Yojimbo
25-Mar-2011, 01:40 AM
Anyone else get this game? Just got it but have been swamped at work so I haven't had the time to really do much. Controls seem a bit clunky, but the graphics are decent and it has a good Red Dawn feeling so far.

Interested to hear if any of you have checked this one out, and would like to hear what you think of it.

ProfessorChaos
25-Mar-2011, 01:47 AM
have heard some rather bland reviews of it, and with the over-saturation of shooters out there, i've not even checked to see if a demo was up on xboxlive or anything.

Danny
25-Mar-2011, 01:57 AM
heard nothing but bad things. shame, but folks can only eat up shooters for so long before getting sick of them i suppose.

MinionZombie
25-Mar-2011, 11:06 AM
I've heard decent things about it - about the only negative thing I've heard from reviewers basically chalks up to "it's not Call of Duty" - which is just nothing but face-palmy-fail.

I have heard the campaign is something like 5 hours, which is a piss-take, and IGN didn't like that one bit ... not that they cared to mention that COD:MW2 has a campaign of the same length, if not shorter. I definitely want to play Homefront, but not at £40 ... £15 and we'll talk. ;) Apparently it has been doing well in the UK, it was #1 on the charts last week ... however that will be blown away by Crysis 2 easily, methinks.

AcesandEights
25-Mar-2011, 01:46 PM
My only big problems with shooters: the lack of decent length/quality disc campaigns, the lack of support for true co-op for mission or campaign-style gameplay (yeah, it's out there in limited instances, but usually not well done anymore) and the fact that they are more a flavor of the month now, where if you want to play with loads of people it becomes a problem as the community numbers errode fairly quickly as players move on to the next big shooter.

Yojimbo
30-Mar-2011, 03:03 AM
Stuck in bed with the flu over the weekend, I finished the game - sorry now that I paid as much as I did for a game as short as this one. Pretty disappointing.

MinionZombie
30-Mar-2011, 09:52 AM
Stuck in bed with the flu over the weekend, I finished the game - sorry now that I paid as much as I did for a game as short as this one. Pretty disappointing.

Aside from the short length, what was the game like?

Rancid Carcass
30-Mar-2011, 11:23 AM
My only big problems with shooters: the lack of decent length/quality disc campaigns.

You might wanna to give Crysis 2 a whirl, it has a very meaty (and annoyingly enjoyable!), single player campaign - hopefully this will help turn the tide and other developers will show us some single player love too...

That said, Homefront does have a certain appeal to it. Maybe once the price drops I'll pick it up.

Kaos
30-Mar-2011, 12:30 PM

That's what she said? :shifty:

MinionZombie
30-Mar-2011, 05:43 PM
That's what she said? :shifty:

HA! I fell into that one, didn't I?

Hmmm, perhaps that's what she also said ... dirty hypothetical cow. :p

You might wanna to give Crysis 2 a whirl, it has a very meaty (and annoyingly enjoyable!), single player campaign - hopefully this will help turn the tide and other developers will show us some single player love too...

That said, Homefront does have a certain appeal to it. Maybe once the price drops I'll pick it up.

Yeah, Homefront is on my list, but only when it's cheap - say £15 at most. I'd no doubt play the campaign more than once, but even still, for a 5 hour campaign, there's no way I'm spending £40 on it! I do wish they'd spend more time on the Single Player with some of these games ... it's especially annoying when oftentimes the MP will just be forgotten about by the masses by the time the next big title comes out, and indeed CoD is the big daddy in the MP shooter realm, so why bother competing? And then when they don't bother, people go "wtf?! no multiplayer?! why?!" - er, perhaps because of asshats who says things like that, lol.

Crysis 2 - I'm also rather interested in playing that game too, although I would have preferred to play it on the PC - but the goddamn DRM with that online activation bullshit flat out stops me, as I don't have the rig I game on from time-to-time linked to the net, and wireless is bullshit (not that it works in my area properly worth a damn anyway) ... so I'll probably end up getting it for the 360, but again, not at £40 - £20, or preferably £15 and then we'll talk. :sneaky: Speaking of which, what's the length of Crysis 2's SP campaign from your experience?

Mitchified
30-Mar-2011, 05:48 PM
My only big problems with shooters: the lack of decent length/quality disc campaigns, the lack of support for true co-op for mission or campaign-style gameplay (yeah, it's out there in limited instances, but usually not well done anymore) and the fact that they are more a flavor of the month now, where if you want to play with loads of people it becomes a problem as the community numbers errode fairly quickly as players move on to the next big shooter.

These reasons, and many more, are why I'm eagerly awaiting both F3AR and Resistance 3. They are also the reasons why I still play Borderlands from time to time.

AcesandEights
30-Mar-2011, 06:42 PM
These reasons, and many more, are why I'm eagerly awaiting both F3AR and Resistance 3. They are also the reasons why I still play Borderlands from time to time.

Though it can get a bit repetitive, Borderlands is a blast that I got more than my money's worth out of playing with my friends. In fact, I can't wait till after one of my buddies finishes with tax season so a bunch of us can finish out the latest DLC and I can top off the game achievement-wise.

Rancid Carcass
31-Mar-2011, 12:11 AM
Speaking of which, what's the length of Crysis 2's SP campaign from your experience?

It's hard to say at the moment as I haven't finished it yet - been playing several hours a day since Friday and still going! Several reviews say it's about 11-12 hour campaign and that seems to be about right. Well worth dropping 40 quid on, it's jaw dropping to look at and has some pretty intense firefights and spectacular set pieces. Will be getting multiple playthroughs just to take it all in properly (too much panic at the moment!), I opted for the 360 version - didn't want my PC bursting into flames trying to run it, lol.

Yojimbo
31-Mar-2011, 01:11 AM

Graphics are pretty good, enemy AI is passable. Weapons are plentiful and adequate - which is good because you are pretty much forced to salvage weapons from fallen enemies and as a result have a finite amount of ammo for each gun. Your team members AI in single player campaign is pretty crappy - so many times I had to stop myself from taking a shot because the other good-guys kept jumping in front of me. Having become used to the options in other first person shooters, I also found it annoying that I could not shoot while behind cover and instead had to come out from behind cover to engage the enemy. Character development is crap, voice acting is average.

Aside from the length, which I think was way, way too short for the new release price (damnit I should have rented this one instead) a good portion of your campaign is rail shooting, which to me is pretty cheesy.

But, the setting is pretty cool, and as I have previously mentioned there is a good solid Red Dawn kind of feeling to it. Scenes of the Korean Occupational Forces on Mainstreet USA gunning down parents in front of their crying infant children, people being rounded up and put on schoolbuses headed towards "relocation centers" etc. A lot of product placement throughout the game which, though kind of insulting on some level, actually added to the realism of some of the maps.

My asssumption is this is a game meant more for the multiplayer gig which could probably prove to be entertaining. Admittedly, I haven't really ventured into the multiplayer realm, so this does nothing for me except leaving me $50.00 poorer with a game that I don't feel I want to pop back into the tray for another try. This FPS is mediocre at best, and annoying at it's worst.

I could have lived quite happily with my $50.00 in my pocket having never been spent on this. Shit, I could have taken my wife to Denny's for a meal, some tasteless pie and weak coffee AND had money left over and probably would have enjoyed the food there much more than I did this game - which, if you have been to Denny's is actually quite pathetic. Instead, with hindsight, I feel like I spent my money unwisely.

I have learned a valuable lesson with this game- in the future I am going to wait a few months after the release of those games which I don' know a whole hell of a lot about and wait to read reviews before I spend my money. Caveat Emptor, and all that - my mistake here was that I was taken in by the hype and the ad campaign.

On the flipside, I would not be as let down had I spent a few odd dollars simply renting this for a couple of days. This is my suggestion to all my HPOTD brothers - rent this one for the hell of it, but do not buy it, not even at half price.

darth los
02-Apr-2011, 04:26 AM
Homefront has a short campaign that i beat on normal difficulty in one day.

Two things were supposed to be the big draw in the game. The multiplayer has a different angle to it than your typical call of duty sessions. It's 32 player and you can choose to spawn either as infantry or on a vehical such as a hummer or tank. Your in game kills result in points that you spend in real time for a variety of special attacks, upgrades and drones. So it's not dependant on a kill streak but acummulated currency, which is pretty cool for players like me who will never even sniff an eleven player killstreak in black ops. ( which i believe are the attack dogs) In this game i regularly get the top tier attack.

The campaign was another matter. On top of being short I never got the visceral feeling from it you would think one would get when leading a resistance against an occupying force in your homeland. This was a game that i felt that should have been way more story driven ( in comparisn, imo, MW2 had a better story and that's saying alot) Instead it felt like just getting to the next checkpoint/objective. The characters were not fleshed out very well, imo.

Save your money. You'd be much better served getting a crysis 2 which I'm also currently playing and absolutely love, Dead Space 2 which is my best shooter of the year so far or one of my favorite under the radar games this year, bulletstorm.

:cool: