PDA

View Full Version : Interesting question..

Andy
19-Jun-2006, 04:31 PM
If it all kicked off, the dead started to rise and attack the living, the millitary dosn't know how to control the situation, the media is falling to bits and we're losing the war.

do you stay in your home and attempt to secure it or do you move out and try to survive on the road?

bassman
19-Jun-2006, 05:04 PM
For me, It would depend on the circumstances. Hard to say.....

Tullaryx
19-Jun-2006, 05:09 PM
I would only stay and barricade my home for a quick stay to horde supplies and plan a detailed escape ruote out of populated areas. Going out on the road is the safest way but one also has to know where to go and which places would be least affected, or at least have the least population of zombies to encounter.

Bunker65
19-Jun-2006, 05:34 PM
In the short term I would barricade myself in my apartment building to gather supplies & make a plan of attack. Being from an area, Brooklyn, NY, with a very dense population I would try to get out on the road as soon as I possibly could as safely as I could. I would probably make my way to my brother's first to gather up the family.

He lives in a fairly remote location so we could shore up the defenses at his home & then make more plans. Since he lives very near the ocean & has a boat that would also be an option for us.

The main thing for anyone is to get as far away from the major population centers as possible.

general tbag
19-Jun-2006, 06:26 PM
zoinks......
population density kills. myself it into the truck and for the hills, straight to my hillbilly buds. the only time i would even consider a barracade would to drop there numbers. you also have to remember to the quality of life to . running for the hills you have more freedom, in a city it just be a big tomb. almost certain death.

Eyebiter
19-Jun-2006, 06:31 PM
Definately stay at home.

Who wants to go to a rescue station or become a homeless refugee?

The only circumstance where "bugging out" might be an option is you have a specific destination in mind. Example a remote cabin that has prepositioned stockpiles of weapons, food, water, and equipment. Course the trick is to dodge the mass of other folks trying to flee the undead at the same time, looters, police roadblocks, traffic jams, accidents, army patrols.

The other thing to keep in mind is the decision WHEN to bug out. If you wait too long the authorities will start closing off major roads and border crossings. Having a 4 wheel drive vehicle, reliable maps, a dozen extra 10 gallon gas cans, and knowledge of back roads to your destination will make a big difference.

EvilNed
19-Jun-2006, 07:00 PM
Considering I live in a suburb in SWEDEN, the land where our population density is as low as our forest density is high, I'm pretty safe off at home. Apart from the bigger cities (of which there are maybe... 3), there's not a chance in hell a zombie outbreak would prove that difficult to take care off in this country.

Tullaryx
19-Jun-2006, 09:04 PM
Considering I live in a suburb in SWEDEN, the land where our population density is as low as our forest density is high, I'm pretty safe off at home. Apart from the bigger cities (of which there are maybe... 3), there's not a chance in hell a zombie outbreak would prove that difficult to take care off in this country.

Well, there is the factor of zombies coming in from neighboring countries to worry about. :)

Philly_SWAT
19-Jun-2006, 09:57 PM
Tough question. I wouldnt want to hold up at home, but I wouldnt want to survive on the road either. I would want to hit the road, and find a better place to hold up, which is not a choice in the poll.

EvilNed
19-Jun-2006, 11:49 PM
Well, there is the factor of zombies coming in from neighboring countries to worry about. :)

Again. Sweden. :)

kar98k
20-Jun-2006, 03:00 AM
I would wait until the military is overrun (which it would be eventually), and I'd find one of their hummers and me and my girlfriend would steal it. Then I'd go looting and get a bunch of weapons. Then I'd go out and kick some ass while surviving on the road.:evil:

creepntom
20-Jun-2006, 03:08 AM
grab munitions, look for a grocery store or walmart to loot & possibly take over

chill for a bit, til you can grasp how bad the surrounding area is contaminated

AssassinFromHell
20-Jun-2006, 03:30 AM
I've got canned food and water and my six-string. I can always print out pictures of Anna Nicole Smith and put them around my house. Now there are some big guns to scare the zombies away :D

Danny
20-Jun-2006, 09:03 AM
well i live on the edge of a countryside town, with a motorway on the other a clean drinkable wwater supply nearby and fish and a village hall thats huge and nearby truck depos full of stuff and theres an old mill that got rebuilt by this millionaire with fencs all round thats me almost set, next find a pretty young girl who needs saving:sneaky:

MinionZombie
20-Jun-2006, 11:00 AM
I'd be crapping my kegs, so I'd no doubt barricade the house and hold up for a while, which is alright because we're in the country. Not uber-rural, but we're certainly not in the cities. Eventually we'd have to go "on the road" ... I'd like to think I'd be all great in a zombie plague, but I'd probably collapse and cry or some sh*t, lol.

EvilNed
20-Jun-2006, 12:12 PM
I think the most serious problem I'd face in a zombie situation would be the lack of food distributed by the goverment. Since imports and exports would drop considerably as many other countries succumbed completly to the zombie plague, it'd would be difficult for the goverment to get food supplies to everyone. Deliveries for grocery stores and such would have to be seriously reworked.

Like in the middle ages when the black plague took out a third of the population in europe, the farming income dropped considerably. I imagine a similar scenario here. Our goverment wouldn't collapse, but we'd have major supply trouble.

I'd have to start growing vegetables, and stuff. Maybe even move to a farm until it all sorts itself out.

Dawg
20-Jun-2006, 12:55 PM
Honestly, would YOU survive an outbreak?

Personally, I can't say if I will or won't. I don't know until it happens and I hope for God's Sake it doesn't.

I have numerous equipment, skills, knowledge of some places.

:dead: Dawg

Graebel
20-Jun-2006, 07:49 PM
I live inside the DC beltway. After seeing Katrina and the highways, our chances of driving out are nil.

However, there are riding horses at the U of MD that could be stolen and used to go cross country.....hmmm.:shifty:

Deadman_Deluxe
20-Jun-2006, 08:22 PM
Both?

general tbag
20-Jun-2006, 08:35 PM
driving ahahah not a chance , not out of major cities. not only would u have to comabt any zombies but also the crazies and people just stuck in chaos mode. as i always have said it be the hillbillies who save humanity and or rebuild it.

you could also hold up until enough people have been turned, it be a hell of a fight and reguire alot if rounds.

the goverment hmm it would fall, first the basic level and work it way upwards. the federal being the last to fall. you know when it gonna hit the fan anywhere when they declare marshall law. that when u start cracking out your guns and cock ur glock .

MapMan
20-Jun-2006, 09:08 PM
Stay at home. I would need to go out every now and then to restock a few supplies.

Maitreya
20-Jun-2006, 09:13 PM
You know... I've thought about this a lot.

And then I decided not too because it was so frickin depressing.

I mean, seriously, there's NO WAY OUT. Everybody's against you and all it takes is a serious injury, an accident, hell even a bite from one of them and you're done for good.

Logan theorized in Day that it'd take like what, 10 someodd years for the zombies to decompose enough to be non-functional, and you'd definitely run out of any food or gas or ammunition well before that.

So the definitive answer if a zombie outbreak were ever to occur: We're f*cked.

chukrok
20-Jun-2006, 11:35 PM
I'd have to say hit the road as well, to a very rural area. Time to bone up on those hunting and fishing skills, huh?

OddDNA
21-Jun-2006, 12:28 PM
I live in Baltimore county surrounded by graveyards. (about 3 within a 5 mile radius)

But I live in a gated community with walls on 3 sides and water to the 4th. (Im not counting on swimming zombies). However the enterance gate is only like those at a parking garage so no safty there Im thinking you might be able to block that off somehow...Crashing cars and trucks into it? (any ideas) But I would stay here til I've seen all the options and how bad its going to get.

Also I have a 2 year old...not fun to lug around on the road during a zombie crisis :)

Tullaryx
21-Jun-2006, 02:47 PM
Actually those gated communities make for very good basic fortifications. The trick is where the community is located. Is it in the suburbs outside the major metropolitan areas. Those would be easier to fortify if everyone is in agreement to do what needs to be done. Second, who would be allowed into the place once all those who decided to stay have stayed. These places, once fortified, barricaded and constantly guarded would have more trouble from raiders than the zombies themselves.

BUTCHYPIE
22-Jun-2006, 02:42 AM
Well, my partner and I have already made an escape plan with a couple alternatives for any natural (or supernatural) disaster that may happen. We also have a couple of months of food, heating, water filters and communication devices. I think being a good citizen means being able to take care of yourself to the best of your ability, when the grids sputters off for a while. One less family in line helps everyone out.

We live smack-dab in the middle of downtown Atlanta, so I believe other humans would be our biggest obstacle to overcome, at least at first. We wouldn't stand a chance against the raiders, riots or random break-ins that would inevitably happen...

My thinking is that anytime the supply trucks really quit running, you've only got 24 hours before chaos starts to breakout, if that! Add the walking dead and the flesh-eating thing, and people are wigging out from the very beggining. So, we've got a destination in mind at a family house 1.5 hours north of the city. It's on a huge body of potable water with good fishing. They live on a hill, so there's good visibility. The population is low density. Also, there's plenty of game and woods in the area.

However, I really believe a real GAR-type outbreak would be really difficult to survive, unless you could almost completely get away from civilization. I think your best bet is a 10-year-stocked-bunker somewhere up in Deliverance territory. Not many of us have a bunker for a vacation home, so most of us are zombie chow...

This discussion has reminded me of a Hank Williams, Jr. (and Kid Rock) song, "A Country Boy Can Survive"

The preacher man says its the end of time
and the Mississippi River she's a going dry.
The interest is up and the stock markets down
and you only get mugged if you go downtown.
I live back in the woods you see,
my woman,and the kids and the dogs and me.
I got a shotgun and a rifle and a four wheel drive
and a countryboy can survive. Country folks can survive.

I can plow a field all day long,
I can catch catfish from dusk til dawn.
Make our own whiskey and our own smoke too
aint to many things these boys can't do.
We grow good old tomatoes and homemade wine
and countryboy can survive, country folk can survive.

Because you can't stomp us out and you can't make us run,
cause we're them ole boys raised on shotguns.
We say grace and we say mam
amd if you aint into that we don't give a damn.
We came from the West Virginia coal mine's
and the Rocky Mountains and the Western skies
and we can skin a buck, we can run a trout line
and a countryboy can survive, country folks can survive.

I had a good friend in New York City
he never called me by my name just hillbilly.
My Grandpa taught me how to live off the land
and his taught him to be a business man
He used to send me pictures of the Broadway Nights
and i would send him some homemade wine
but he was killed by a man with a switchblade knife,
for forty three dollars my friend lost his life.
I'd love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
and shoot him with my ole forty-five
cause a countryboy can survive, country folks can survive.

'Cause you can't stomp us out and you can't make us run,
and we're them ole boys raised on shotgun.
We say grace, we say mam,
if you aint into that we don't give a damn.
We're from North California and South Alabam'
and little towns all around this land.
We can skin a buck, and run a trout line
and a countryboy can survive,
country folks can survive,
countryboy can survive,
country folks can survive