PDA

View Full Version : I grew up an Aquarius and now I'm a Capricorn now? What the hell?

Mr. Clean
14-Jan-2011, 03:22 AM
http://www.theweatherspace.com/news/TWS-1_13_2011_zodiac.html

Astronomers have come out and explained that the Moon and Planet's gravitation relation to the Earth has set the star charts back nearly a month, which changes the Zodiac, introducing a 13th symbol.

:duh:

Danny
14-Jan-2011, 06:52 AM
i dont think its retroactive, i mean i was born at the time to have aries, the ram, that was the position of everything then. a kid born at the same time now will be under the fish, picies, but that doesnt mean it was now picies when i was born.

Neil
14-Jan-2011, 11:47 AM
Astrology!! I still can't believe it hasn't been laughed and ridiculed off the face of the earth!

bassman
14-Jan-2011, 12:22 PM
Astrology!! I still can't believe it hasn't been laughed and ridiculed off the face of the earth!

Agreed. "Astrologers" are no better than the "psychics" you see on late night infomercials. One big crock....

JDFP
14-Jan-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't think it's all just B.S. personally -- there's something to it.

Take for example how much crazier people are on full moons. Ask ANY medical staff member who works in a hospital and/or mental facility about full moons and tell me they don't buy that people go NUTS (more so than usual) on full moon's. Admissions to emergency rooms (according to all the nurses in my family that have worked in them and many friends of mine who do the same) skyrocket on full moons too. I certainly see it happening as well -- I work in a financial servicing company and we can tell a huge increase in the number of people that are just NUTS on these days. Think about it, the moon controls ocean tides/currents/etc. -- and our body is 70%+ water (me thinks there is a connection there somewhere, but I don't know what it is).

Astrology may be a pseudo-science, but it's been pretty damn accurate when it comes to the personality I've met under specific astrological signs. I prefer the Chinese astrological calendar though -- I'm a metal monkey in addition to being a Scorpio -- and Scorpio/metal monkey descriptions are right on with me.

As far as changing the astrological chart -- I call nonsense and silly. The signs shouldn't be able to change on a whim -- it's just grounds for screwing with something that should be left as it is good and well enough alone.

EDIT: Now, if you gentlemen will excuse me, I have lunch plans with Nancy Reagan, Mrs. Cleo, and Sylvia Browne. We're going to try and invite Ronnie too.

j.p.

AcesandEights
14-Jan-2011, 01:24 PM
Wait, a 13th symbol? Who gets to decide the 13th symbol?!

After some research, it looks like they're going with a throwback that has been used in some instances in the past -- Ophiuchus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiuchus_%28astrology%29).

http://www.smithsofweston.com/Assets/Images/Constellations/Ophiuchus.jpg

Sounds like someone is a scorpio :p :D

Mr. Clean
14-Jan-2011, 01:32 PM
A coworker has a tattoo of his old sign :lol:

bassman
14-Jan-2011, 01:34 PM
Take for example how much crazier people are on full moons. Ask ANY medical staff member who works in a hospital and/or mental facility about full moons and tell me they don't buy that people go NUTS (more so than usual) on full moon's. Admissions to emergency rooms (according to all the nurses in my family that have worked in them and many friends of mine who do the same) skyrocket on full moons too. I certainly see it happening as well -- I work in a financial servicing company and we can tell a huge increase in the number of people that are just NUTS on these days. Think about it, the moon controls ocean tides/currents/etc. -- and our body is 70%+ water (me thinks there is a connection there somewhere, but I don't know what it is).

Perhaps more people need emergency attention on full moons because they provide a brighter night sky? Activity would increase on nights when visibility is higher, no?

Emergency rooms also see more activity during holidays and when attractions come to town. That doesn't mean it's hocus pocus...

AcesandEights
14-Jan-2011, 01:36 PM
But the change only effects people born from like 2009 and on.

Not that it's still not somewhat silly to have a tattoo of one's sign, I suppose. Depends on how the the person views the symbolism as unique to his or her self, I guess...but still it sounds cheesy.

Exatreides
14-Jan-2011, 01:37 PM
Even if the moon has some effect on us. Stars millions of light years away don't.

Well unless they explode and send a gamma burst at us or something exciting like that.

AcesandEights
14-Jan-2011, 01:48 PM
While it's possible the moon might exert some influence on us, I would assume if it were the case it would be for some of the scientific reasons already hypothesized.

Danny
14-Jan-2011, 01:59 PM
Perhaps more people need emergency attention on full moons because they provide a brighter night sky? Activity would increase on nights when visibility is higher, no?

Emergency rooms also see more activity during holidays and when attractions come to town. That doesn't mean it's hocus pocus...

Theres quite a lot of scientific evidence to back up that almost every species of mammal does wig out more than usual during the phases of the moon where its at its largest in the sky.its where the term lunatic comes from. the most obvious difference is the greater light can slightly alter a persons sleep pattern- in some cases to the point of insomnia which leads in a difference in mood due to the changed amount of sleep to the norm. in more extreme cases creatures are recorded on average to bleed more from wounds and its theorized that it has to do with the moons tidal pull. the natural cynic in me thinks the last ones kinda bull, but thats more than just a floating white sphere of rock yknow? it does a lot to the earth and for the earth most people never learn about.

krakenslayer
14-Jan-2011, 02:02 PM
JD - the link between the lunar cycles and behaviour is a disputed one (and a lot of the so-called statistics relating to skyrocketing hospital admissions are made up but nobody ever bothers to check this before continuing the myth: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=lunacy-and-the-full-moon), but if there is proven to be a link, it wouldn't be so surprising; the moon is a nearby body with vast gravity and when the full moon comes around the moon and sun are at opposite sides of the sky, pulling in opposite directions. However, even then the gravity of the moon exerts an influence on an individual human being no stronger than the gravity of a mosquito sitting on your arm. It's only over vast, vast, vast bodies of water that there is any detectable effect - most large lakes don't even have tidal motion.

Stars and planets exert an influence even smaller, so small as to be undetectable. Genuinely undetectable. If the moon is a mosquito on your arm, then Jupiter, the largest planet in the solar system, is a fragment of a fragment of a grain of pollen. And EVEN IF this wasn't the case, well the stars are in the same position in the sky for everybody at any given moment in time, regardless of when you were born, and the effect would exist inside the womb too, so birth date should not really factor into it.

As far as recognising the traits of star signs in people, people have a tendency (you, me, everyone) to remember incidences where interesting events and connections occurred, and forget the times where there was no coincidence, because those are non-events. If someone tells me their starsign in a causal conversation, nine times out of ten I say "oh!" and then move on with the conversation, never thinking about it again. It's only when the person's personality just happens to perfectly fit the template that I think "oh my god, they're a perfect Libra, or whatever", and if you're not careful then these incidences build up in your memory, while all the non-conforming incidences get forgotten, and you can only remember the times when the superstition held true.

In any case, if there was some connection between birth date and behaviour, there are a lot of other psychological reasons for this, before we have to call upon superstition to exlain it: imagine for argument's sake you are born in the late summer/early autumn, buy the time you learn to walk and run around (about 9-12 months old, as usual for toddlers) summer's coming around again and you can run around in the back yard or wherever, and develop the beginnings of independence in a bright, warm outdoor environment. If you were born in the winter, it would be winter again by the time you learn to walk, and you'll be stuck in the house and it will be cold outside. These two different environments, coming at the same stage of development, will probably have a stronger and overriding influence on how you grow up to see the world than the undetectable traces of gravity from objects light years away.

LouCipherr
14-Jan-2011, 02:36 PM
In any case, if there was some connection between birth date and behaviour, there are a lot of other psychological reasons for this, before we have to call upon superstition to exlain it: imagine for argument's sake you are born in the late summer/early autumn, buy the time you learn to walk and run around (about 9-12 months old, as usual for toddlers) summer's coming around again and you can run around in the back yard or wherever, and develop the beginnings of independence in a bright, warm outdoor environment. If you were born in the winter, it would be winter again by the time you learn to walk, and you'll be stuck in the house and it will be cold outside. These two different environments, coming at the same stage of development, will probably have a stronger and overriding influence on how you grow up to see the world than the undetectable traces of gravity from objects light years away.

I think kraken is onto something here..

I'll be honest, I've never bought into the astology stuff. I've read my horoscope before, but every horoscope is just a generalization that could be applied to just about anyone, really. The same way (as mentioned before) psychics do their schtick. ;)

Neil
14-Jan-2011, 02:39 PM
Sounds like someone is a scorpio :p :D

Sounds as accurate as any other astrology bollox!

BillyRay
14-Jan-2011, 03:53 PM
I used to be a Double-Libra, now I may be a Nesbitt...

3moY-LkNdcs

slickwilly13
14-Jan-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm not a Capricorn. I will always be Aquarius. This is what I think of the change. It does not mean 8======D

EvilNed
14-Jan-2011, 04:43 PM
Do I even have to state where I stand on astrology?

It's bullshit down to the core of things. People only see what they want to see. It's superstition, new age crap. Ever wonder why starsign descriptions seem to fit so well with different persons?

Because starsign descriptions fit fucking EVERYBODY, period.

Again, why do people have to go look for mysterious causes of perfectly natural things? Or in this case, just make shit up and claim it's true.

LouCipherr
14-Jan-2011, 05:01 PM
Again, why do people have to go look for mysterious causes of perfectly natural things? Or in this case, just make shit up and claim it's true.

It's the same reason why there's religion. I think humans sometimes have to have "reasons" for certain things being what they are, and if there is no reason, they make one up.

*shugs shoulders*

Of course, then again, some things are made up for control purposes, not just to explain something away. Wonder which catagory this falls under...

:D

blind2d
14-Jan-2011, 05:29 PM
In case anyone cares, I'm a Libra... Fire Snake? Some kinda snake... I don't know, it's just fun for me... I don't buy into it, really... still, cool tattoo possibilities there...

AcesandEights
14-Jan-2011, 06:23 PM
Excellent points Kraken! That's usin' the old hat rack :)

It's the same reason why there's religion. I think humans sometimes have to have "reasons" for certain things being what they are, and if there is no reason, they make one up.

*shugs shoulders*

Of course, then again, some things are made up for control purposes, not just to explain something away. Wonder which catagory this falls under...

:D

Somewhere between people needing to understand and the point where some dude figured out that 'wiseman' or 'seer' could be a job title.

In case anyone cares, I'm a Libra... Fire Snake? Some kinda snake... I don't know, it's just fun for me... I don't buy into it, really... still, cool tattoo possibilities there...

Stop teasing us Blind, you know what we really want to know is whether you like long walks on the beach! :p

LouCipherr
14-Jan-2011, 06:30 PM
Somewhere between people needing to understand and the point where some dude figured out that 'wiseman' or 'seer' could be a job title.

:thumbsup:

...and perhaps "Prophet" should be thrown in there for good measure. :D

Mr. Clean
14-Jan-2011, 06:49 PM
Hands down, this was my favorite horoscope to date.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/horoscope-for-the-week-of-september-10-2003,11835/

Here's this weeks, not to bad.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/your-horoscopes-week-of-january-11-2011,18776/?utm_medium=promobar&utm_campaign=recirculation

darth los
14-Jan-2011, 06:56 PM

There are more things in heaven and earth, administrator, than is dreamt of in your philosophy.

You could put religion in the same sentence actually.

*Dons fire retardant suit* :shifty:

:cool:

Mr. Clean
14-Jan-2011, 06:59 PM
*Hands Darth a fishing pole*

Keep fishing :D

Mike70
14-Jan-2011, 07:34 PM
looks like i'm a capricorn now. huh. well, i'm gonna drive right on...

DjfunkmasterG
14-Jan-2011, 08:29 PM
http://www.theweatherspace.com/news/TWS-1_13_2011_zodiac.html

:duh:

It's BULLSHIT: http://www.theweatherspace.com/news/TWS-1_13_2011_viral_gone.html

Mr. Clean
14-Jan-2011, 11:23 PM
It all started when an astronomy professor from Minnesota told a local media outlet there about how the star alignments are changing, but instead took off as a false viral.

Fox News is to blame for this mix up. Once the reporters heard of this they automatically thought the entire Zodiac would change because of it.

This is as bad as the Mars hoax that happens around August of each year. Please, if you read the story anywhere on the Zodiac, reverse it and tell the people around you.

Virals can go good, or bad. If a major outlet such as Fox News told the audience aliens were above The White House and it ended up being a balloon shaped like a craft, the world would go into a frenzy.

Whatever sign you were before this happened, you are still that today. This is a worldwide scare that should never have been released by FOX NEWS and TheWeatherSpace.com is very upset at them. They've lost some credibility on their articles and anything we may publish for them will be subject for review before adding to the main page wall

It started with the Star Tribune(Local Media Outlet) and somehow FoxNews is to blame for starting it? Pretty unprofessional apology article aswell. Star Tribune has already attempted to covered their ass too. :whatever:

Damn, and I was looking forward to rocking the Sea goat. Tied of little bitch water boy title. :lol:

JDFP
15-Jan-2011, 01:28 AM
There are more things in heaven and earth, administrator, than is dreamt of in your philosophy.

You could put religion in the same sentence actually.

*Dons fire retardant suit* :shifty:

:cool:

Eh... screw it. I'm too tired to care right now. I'd much rather whine about my blu ray of the first season of "The Twilight Zone" not being here yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

It started with the Star Tribune(Local Media Outlet) and somehow FoxNews is to blame for starting it? Pretty unprofessional apology article aswell. Star Tribune has already attempted to covered their ass too. :whatever:

Damn, and I was looking forward to rocking the Sea goat. Tied of little bitch water boy title. :lol:

Mainstream Media: "Guys, who can we blame for this? Who do we hate more than anything else? Oh yeah!"

j.p.

acealive1
16-Jan-2011, 04:13 AM
yea now im supposed to be a gemini...........screw it.