PDA

View Full Version : castle pros and cons

14-Jan-2011, 04:56 PM
im not saying once an outbreak occurs build a castle but rather how it might be in one. i was thinking a medieval english castle with motte and stone walls...modern times of course. as you know each castle is different but for example the tower of london is more or less a complex with walls surrounded by other walls that could provide some room to grow a garden for food. i know castles were built on natural spring sites to ensure fresh water during seiges so fresh water is not a issue. please weigh in with your ideas since its been awhile since i seen a topic like this on here.

bassman
14-Jan-2011, 05:10 PM
Sounds good and all, but eventually the dead would just keep packing up against the walls outside and you would never be able to make scavenger runs. The mote wouldn't really help if you consider it the same as Land...

14-Jan-2011, 05:17 PM
may be a little far fetched but what about possible tunnels leading far away that could be used, that is until they were found then its a different story. i never really put much faith in the motte, using it more for to just set the scene.

blind2d
14-Jan-2011, 05:24 PM
Okay, what is this 'mote' nonsense, first of all? Surely it's spelled 'moat'?
With that said, I think a fortress of this nature is an excellent idea! And if you had enough crops and fresh water for all, scavenger runs would be much less important/needed. So... yes, I think this is a grand plan!
Tunnels... that could get bad... eventually, they would probably be discovered...

14-Jan-2011, 05:29 PM
sorry about the spelling. i seen it spelled like that in a game one time

bassman
14-Jan-2011, 05:31 PM
Okay, what is this 'mote' nonsense, first of all? Surely it's spelled 'moat'?

http://www.darkervision.com/Graphics/grammarpolice.jpg

Because you couldn't understand it, right?

With that said, I think a fortress of this nature is an excellent idea! And if you had enough crops and fresh water for all, scavenger runs would be much less important/needed.

You've got to get the seeds and essentials to start the crops in the first place.

blind2d
14-Jan-2011, 05:35 PM
Cool... Games are definitely the best places to see proper spelling of things... "Bimmy and Jimmy"...
But I digress. True, there is a word called 'mote', (see the song by Sonic Youth of this name) however, the one for castles is the moat.
Anyway, yes! Again, good idea... but if someone inside was infected... then it would be the Masque of the Red Death, wouldn't it?

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Exactly.
I started singing in my head, "When you feel the spiral turning for you alone..." and then I got lost...
Sorry, but proper english is essential! It's an endangered species, bass!

mista_mo
15-Jan-2011, 08:22 PM
Pros- Big huge walls that keep the dead out
Cons- Big huge walls that keep the living in

Legion2213
15-Jan-2011, 08:39 PM
If you have helicoptor supply you are good to go...castles were usually built on top of a good source of water with a commanding view of the surrounding area as well, so food and ammo would be the only concerns.

Given prep time a (super rich millionare type) could stock a decades worth of food, water and ammo for a select group of folks...

[Dr Strangelove] "ten women for every man" [Dr Strangelove]

...or maybe not :D

But a small group of 20 or so people with all those supplies would be better off than 99% of the rest of the poor saps in a zombiegeddon situation.

Over here in the UK, we built some cool little sea forts during WWII, tidy little things they were, unfortunately, I don't think any are still around, they would be excellent if you had a boat or two.

AcesandEights
16-Jan-2011, 03:34 AM
Over here in the UK, we built some cool little sea forts during WWII, tidy little things they were, unfortunately, I don't think any are still around, they would be excellent if you had a boat or two.

Isn't the micro nation Sealand a former WWII sea fort? Damn cool things, if you ask me.

Yes, castles, motte & bailey (wrap your head around that spelling, Blind) etc. would be good in some situations.

shootemindehead
16-Jan-2011, 04:22 AM
Castles were/are dreadful, even when they were considered the pinacle of defensive technology. They are only ok against a siege for a short time, i.e. the time it takes for your side to mount a successful counter attack from without against the siege forces and that's only provided you have enough provisions to last for the people within.

Against an army that can't die or won't go away, it would be a tomb.

Trin
16-Jan-2011, 03:24 PM
Pros- Big huge walls that keep the dead out
Cons- Big huge walls that keep the living in
So where they see walls you see a prison? Thanks Riley! :p

sandrock74
16-Jan-2011, 03:39 PM
To me, a big mark for the pro column would be that you could sleep at night without worrying about being eaten by zombies!

krakenslayer
16-Jan-2011, 07:27 PM
And so it begins again...

This (http://www.allthingszombie.com/mb/index.php?/forum/14-undead-survival-defense/) shall be us before long people, mark my words. ;) :lol:

bassman
16-Jan-2011, 07:29 PM
Capn was telling me that he joined up there. Considered it myslef. I'll just have to avoid that section. Looks like they're taking it a little too seriously. :lol:

krakenslayer
16-Jan-2011, 07:35 PM
Capn was telling me that he joined up there. Considered it myslef. I'll just have to avoid that section. Looks like they're taking it a little too seriously. :lol:

I used to be a regular there years ago, but gradually all the cool dudes left, and all the pre-pubescent kids and suvivalist types moved into the vacuum, and it just became the same conversations over and over and over again.... even worse than here :lol:

I would estimate that about one quarter of that site's userbase has never seen a GAR film and about one sixth has never seen a zombie outside of a Resident Evil cutscene.

Publius
21-Jan-2011, 09:47 AM

True, there is a word called 'mote', (see the song by Sonic Youth of this name) however, the one for castles is the moat.

Actually, all of y'all are wrong. :p

1. The guy originally said "motte," not "mote."

2. "Motte" is a word, and it does relate to castles, and means something different than "moat."

3. Therefore, the error (if the original poster meant "moat") did create an understanding problem.

An early type of castle in Norman England was called a "motte-and-bailey." In a motte-and-bailey castle, you typically have a small keep (often originally made of wood) on top of a mound (the motte) surrounded by a wooden palisade (the bailey). Because a motte is a hill (often artificial, made by piling up dirt from a moat or ditch around the castle), "motte" is almost the opposite of "moat." Weird, eh?

blind2d
21-Jan-2011, 02:39 PM
Awesome, Pub-man! Thanks for the knowledge! I feel... smarter... which is very unusual... for me...

bassman
21-Jan-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm pretty sure he meant the water one. :p

Interesting info, though!