PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Knight Rises (film)

Pages : [1] 2

bassman
19-Jan-2011, 05:01 PM
Today Warner brothers made the official announcement regarding Chris Nolan's final film in his Batman trilogy.

Tom Hardy will play Bane, while Anne Hathaway will play Catwoman.

I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Anne Hathaway, who will be a fantastic addition to our ensemble as we complete our story.”

In addition, Tom Hardy has been set to play Bane. Nolan said, “I am delighted to be working with Tom again and excited to watch him bring to life our new interpretation of one of Batman’s most formidable enemies.” Nolan will direct the film from a screenplay he wrote with Jonathan Nolan, from a story by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer. Nolan will also produce the film with his longtime producing partner, Emma Thomas, and Charles Roven. “The Dark Knight Rises” is slated for release on July 20, 2012. The film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

Hardy i'm all for, but i'm not too sure about Hathaway. I'm friggin THRILLED they're bringing Bane to the big screen. This will show the masses how awesome the character is rather than the mute gorilla portrayed in Batman and Robin.

http://www.profilegoo.com/import/graphics/Anne_Hathaway/Anne_Hathaway_0009.jpghttp://content8.flixster.com/photo/11/93/94/11939418_gal.jpg

She's hot and I trust Nolan and all....but I just have a hard time seeing her as Selina Kyle...

LouCipherr
19-Jan-2011, 05:17 PM
If it does do as much business as TDK, I will stand on a mountain top and scream "Bassman was right, I'm a moron!" but, if it doesn't... where do we go from here, dude? :shifty: :D

Either way, this sounds interesting. I agree with you about Anne Hathaway. Not so sure about her in that particular role, but regardless, I'm sure I'll get suckered into watching this one too. Damn you Nolan!

He seems to have a good grasp on these films though, so perhaps we're in for another pleasant surprise. *fingers crossed*

bassman
19-Jan-2011, 05:26 PM
If it does do as much business as TDK, I will stand on a mountain top and scream "Bassman was right, I'm a moron!" but, if it doesn't... where do we go from here, dude? :shifty:

I'll say right now that I don't think this will make as much as TDK. It will do well, that's for sure, but without the inclusion of a widely known villain like The Joker(arguably the most recognizable villain of all time), I don't think it will be as successful. Catwoman might bring in the crowds similar to Joker, but i'm not sure. Especially after the abomination starring Halle Barry.

I'm anxious to see how much of this flick is filmed in IMAX. Hopefully more than TDK. If you didn't get a chance to see TDK in IMAX, i'm sure they'll re-release it prior to this new film and you should definitely check it out. It's amazing. Much more immersive than 3D. It also makes the blu ray look especially nice. :thumbsup:

Aside from Catwoman, I also don't like the title. I'm sure it will tie into the story like the previous two(The Dark Knight redeems himself in the eyes of Gotham - duh), but it seems kinda anti-climactic in the grand scheme of things. I was hoping for The Batman. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Batman.

thxleo
19-Jan-2011, 05:53 PM
Aside from Catwoman, I also don't like the title. I'm sure it will tie into the story like the previous two(The Dark Knight redeems himself in the eyes of Gotham - duh), but it seems kinda anti-climactic in the grand scheme of things. I was hoping for The Batman. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Batman.

I agree. The title is just flat out horrible. I keep hoping that it's just a production title and not the real title for the film. There are so many better ones that could have been considered..."Gotham's Caped Crusader" or "Gotham" or even just "Bruce Wayne" would have been better than "The Dark Knight rises"; it sounds like a video game title to me.

DjfunkmasterG
19-Jan-2011, 06:11 PM
I don't care for the title, nor do I care for BANE being brought in. We don't need Bane... Catwoman sure, but I would have rather had Amy Adams over Anne Hathaway... Anne's is a great actress but this is a miscast. This is not going to do the business of The Dark Knight.

bassman
19-Jan-2011, 06:27 PM
I don't care for the title, nor do I care for BANE being brought in. We don't need Bane...

What makes you say we don't need him? Bane is an incredible character. I'm thrilled to see Nolan's version of him....

"Gotham's Caped Crusader" or "Gotham" or even just "Bruce Wayne" would have been better than "The Dark Knight rises"; it sounds like a video game title to me.

I imagine they were pretty much forced to use "The Dark Knight" in the title after the enormous success of the second film. Even though its silly and underwhelming.

I once heard someone mention "Gotham Knight" which I thought was pretty good...

LouCipherr
19-Jan-2011, 06:51 PM
I'll say right now that I don't think this will make as much as TDK. It will do well, that's for sure, but without the inclusion of DEAD ACTOR like The Joker(arguably the most recognizable villain of all time), I don't think it will be as successful. Catwoman might bring in the crowds similar to Joker, but i'm not sure. Especially after the abomination starring Halle Barry.

There, fixed that for ya. :lol:

I'm sorry, really, I am.. but I could not resist. (when in doubt, see my sig.. :lol:)

We'll see. I mean, I doubt it'll do a billion bucks worth of business anyway (for ovbious reasons I've already stated), but I don't doubt this movie is going to rake in some serious cash.

bassman
19-Jan-2011, 06:56 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lchhm5FnoU1qbib1ho1_500.gif

LouCipherr
19-Jan-2011, 06:59 PM
:lol: :D

AcesandEights
19-Jan-2011, 07:04 PM
I doubt it'll do a billion bucks worth of business anyway (for ovbious reasons I've already stated), but I don't doubt this movie is going to rake in some serious cash.

Isn't there usually a bit of letdown by the third film in a comic book series, anyway? I don't know about economically, but by the 3rd film the premise is usually rung out, the audience a bit tired of it and the script phoned in. This is true for the 3rd Batman film, the 3rd Superman film, the 3rd Spiderman film and the 3rd X-men film, off the top of my head.

bassman
19-Jan-2011, 07:09 PM
Sounds about right. Hopefully TDKR will break that curse. Speaking of....this will be the first director and actor to take on Batman in more than two films...

I have complete faith in Nolan. He hasn't made a bad film yet.

I imagine with this news being announced, we can also expect the announcement of the next Superman pretty soon.

LouCipherr
19-Jan-2011, 07:10 PM
Isn't there usually a bit of letdown by the third film in a comic book series, anyway? I don't know about economically, but by the 3rd film the premise is usually rung out, the audience a bit tired of it and the script phoned in. This is true for the 3rd Batman film, the 3rd Superman film, the 3rd Spiderman film and the 3rd X-men film, off the top of my head.

True, and I would not be surprised if it was the case with this one too. There may be exceptions to the rule, but I can't think of any off the top of my head (not that there's much left of it to begin with.. :D)

I still think it'll do good business, but not TDK numbers by a long shot.

Danny
19-Jan-2011, 08:49 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lchhm5FnoU1qbib1ho1_500.gif

f*ck bane they should've got this guy to play the riddler.

bassman
19-Jan-2011, 09:38 PM
f*ck bane they should've got this guy to play the riddler.

A comedian? We've seen how well that works out - not even close to what the character should be. Besides....I'm kinda glad we're not getting the riddler again. I wouldn't have minded if that were the way they were going with it, but it just wouldn't be different enough for this new series. I'm glad that Nolan and company have given other characters a chance that aren't in the general public's eye. Scarecrow, Ras Al Ghul, Zsasz, Joe Chill, Falcone, Maroni, and now Bane.

Nolan's Bane will show the world what the character really should be, not Shumacher's f*ck you to the fans....

Doc
20-Jan-2011, 10:20 PM
Well, I see the Anne Hathaway bashing has started, but clearly not as bad as I've heard the Heath Ledger bashing was.

bassman
20-Jan-2011, 10:22 PM
Well, I see the Anne Hathaway bashing has started, but clearly not as bad as I've heard the Heath Ledger bashing was.

They're both from Brokeback Mountain. Coincidence? I think not.

It's a gay cowboy conspiracy!

Doc
20-Jan-2011, 10:29 PM
We're in stage one of the nerd reaction, and it's basically "what the fuck is Nolan doing?"

It'll be followed by stage two: lining up on opening night anyway.

Stage three will either be the following: "Wow, I knew Nolan would pull it off all along," or "Batman is so 2008, this movie sucks and Nolan should retire."

DAMN NERDS!:lol::dead:

MinionZombie
21-Jan-2011, 10:06 AM
Erm ... I thought Nolan had said Cat Woman wasn't going to be in his movie? :confused:

He said that there'd be one female villain, and one female goody ... plus Hardy as Bane (cool) ... and I figured Raz-al Ghul's (sp?) daughter was gonna be the baddie, not that I'm in-the-know on the comic's history.

So I'm a bit confused about some of this. Tom Hardy should do a ruddy good job though. He was rather good in Inception, and absolutely tip-top in Bronson.

bassman
21-Jan-2011, 12:19 PM
Catwoman isn't necessarily a "villian". She teeters the line between being a villian and a hero. She's just shades of gray.

Forget that freakshow in Burton's Batman Returns. That was NOT catwoman, but something from Burton's world of the unnecessary. Depending on the direction Nolan and company take it, she's probably not going to be a villian in the typical way.

And yeah, I've heard rumors that there will be another female villain, possibly Ras' daughter, Talia.

Doc
21-Jan-2011, 12:55 PM
I actually like Burton's version of the character, but yeah she was defiantly not a faithful version of the character. The best one I've seen so, far is the animated series version. In fact, I'll go as far as saying I pretty much prefer all the animated series incarnations. It will be interesting what Nolan does with Bane after what's-his-face ruined him in Batman and Robin though.

AcesandEights
21-Jan-2011, 02:46 PM
It will be interesting what Nolan does with Bane after what's-his-face ruined him in Batman and Robin though.

You mean Frankenbane?

http://images.wikia.com/marvel_dc/images/3/3c/Bane_MOVIE.jpg

bassman
21-Jan-2011, 02:51 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/puke-in-my-mouth-o.gif

Did you have to bring that up, dude?!? :p

That thing is NOT, I REPEAT: NOT what Bane is. If that's what anyone is expecting in TDKR, go ahead and get that out of your head. Shumacher took a complex character with just as much intelligence as strength, and turned him into a green , mute gorilla with a mask.

Not to mention if you're familiar with "Knightfall", he definitely gives Batman a run for his money. :sneaky:

AcesandEights
21-Jan-2011, 02:54 PM
Oh, I agree from what little I know of the character, the Shumacher version certainly was not "the man who broke the Bat."

Mitchified
21-Jan-2011, 11:48 PM
You mean Frankenbane?

http://images.wikia.com/marvel_dc/images/3/3c/Bane_MOVIE.jpg

Apparently Bane gets his Venom through a silly straw while guarding Bruce Willis as two other guys rape Ving Rhames in another room. Also, he appears to be wearing the mask from Spiderman 2099.

Bane needs to be portrayed correctly or the entire thing is just going to be awful. He needs to be shown to be every bit as intelligent as he is powerful. After all, this is the man that figured out Bruce Wayne was Batman just by watching Bruce Wayne walk. Mindless brutality is fine for characters such as Killer Croc and Amygdala, but Bane isn't Batman's equal, he's his SUPERIOR in many ways. A master tactician and manipulator that enjoys the chance to get his hands dirty.

SymphonicX
22-Jan-2011, 05:43 PM
Seems I'll be making a cultural movie faux pas if I mention Anne Hathaway?

Well, I'm not one to go with the grain so I'll go against it...or is that with it...depends on which side of the fence you stand.

Whilst I don't *hate* the first two Nolan Batman films, I certainly am very very far from loving them - but fuck it, you watch it when it's on the movie channels - just like I watched 2012....

But Anne Hathaway...has anyone actually seen her act? Omg. She first pissed me off royally in The Devil Wears Prada - just saw her as a Julia Roberts clone...annoying, gangly, prancing fool. Then she popped up in Alice in Wonderland - walking around all pithy with outstretched hands like Jesus as he broke the bread....horrible. I hate her.

Doc
27-Jan-2011, 01:24 AM
Can any hardcore Batman fan tel me the hate with deformed Batman Returns Penguin, and the Batman: TAS continuing that aspect of the character? I know he was just an ugly mobster before, but I don't exactly get the big fuss about it. Atleast, it gave him something unique then just being another Rupert Thorn. :confused:

bassman
27-Jan-2011, 01:20 PM
Can any hardcore Batman fan tel me the hate with deformed Batman Returns Penguin, and the Batman: TAS continuing that aspect of the character? I know he was just an ugly mobster before, but I don't exactly get the big fuss about it. Atleast, it gave him something unique then just being another Rupert Thorn. :confused:

I guess it can go both ways. On one hand I can see why you think it works better and it definitely fit Burton's crazy "artistic" film, but it's just SUCH a deviation from the core comic character that it barely resembles him at all. The Penguin wasn't born with flippers, he didn't live in the sewers, he wasn't raised by penguins(that's a big WTF?), he wasn't cold blooded, he didn't eat fresh raw fish, he didn't spit black goo, and he wasn't just an all around monster like the one seen in Returns. He was civilized and often called a "gentleman of crime". Just like most of Returns, he was a creation from Burton's mind rather than a translation of an existing character.

Not only did Burton change too much of The Penguin character, but he also made Batman a cold blooded killer. Which is a big, big, BIG no-no. That violates everything Batman is about and around 99% of the character's history.

Doc
23-Feb-2011, 01:32 PM
vHqG75bg3cs&feature=player_embedded#at=51

bassman
23-Feb-2011, 01:58 PM
Thirty pounds of muscle in just two months sounds a bit extreme but i've never been a body builder. Looking at his appearance in Bronson, he can definitely bulk up...

CornishCorpse
17-Mar-2011, 09:14 PM
Simply cannot wait. Hardy as bane? Yes, I think he can pull it off and I hope the strategic ex con Bane is portrayed as he is one of my favourite comic characters ( Currently reading through the secret six one more time, if you like comics then its worth a glance or two ). Hathway as Kyle? Mhm. Intresting but I think she can pull it off and as always love to see Nolans spin on the characters. Still : Raises Flame shield : didnt enjoy the joker in TDK but Bane? Oh Bane could be amazing but I just hope he doesnt try to push to much into it the last film. I heard about a possible robin being in it? And Bane backing the bats back in the film? Please no. It would just be running and back and forth with continuity, make him the new King of Gotham and let him be done with it.

Doc
11-Apr-2011, 05:25 AM
READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/social-network-actor-lands-role-176577

One of the guys from Social Network as, a young Al Ghul. :confused:

bassman
11-Apr-2011, 12:56 PM
I had already seen this news, but you may wanna add spoiler warnings to that. This bit of info could potentially be a major spoiler and if it does turn out to be true, it could ruin the premise for lots of people. I doubt they wanted this to get out....

Anyway....it would certainly reinforce Gary Oldman's comment of Nolan bringing the trilogy "full circle". I just didn't expect him to directly reference Begins.

bassman
20-Apr-2011, 01:11 PM
Is Tom Savini possibly working on this film? http://movies.yahoo.com/news/yahoo-contributor-network/exclusive-tom-savini-interviews-dark-knight-rises

Also, Joseph Gordon Levitt and Marion Cotillard were officially announced to be part of the cast. Levitt is a police officer, and Cotillard works at Waybe Enterprises. All new characters according to the press release...

MinionZombie
20-Apr-2011, 05:59 PM
Savini eh? Interesting...

It would be cool to see him return to the FX world, although it's interesting how the guys for make-up effects these days are KNB - birthed from Savini's world.

bassman
20-May-2011, 03:47 PM
As I mentioned earlier in the chat, the viral marketing for TDKR started this morning. After some clever detective work, fans uncovered the first image of Tom Hardy as Bane:

http://cdn.batman-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/forhashtagunaltered-1.jpg

Looks like Bane enough to me. Kinda figured the spandex suit would be dropped in Nolan's world. Now we should receive a photo of Hathaway as Catwoman before long. I'm sure they want to release official stills before spy photos get out.

If you're a fan of Batman, I suggest you get in on the viral marketing. It was extremely fun for the last film and I'm sure this one will be no different. This started this morning when thedarkknightrises.com went live with a blacked out page and indian chanting. After working with it for a while, one fan discovered that if you opened the file in an audio editing program, the spectrum reveiled a twitter account. Then from there the twitter account revealed the location/source code of the pic. They did all kinds of things like this for the Joker in TDK, so i'm excited to see what they do with Bane and Catwoman.

Doc
23-May-2011, 10:33 PM
Waiting for the first "it sucks" comment.

bassman
04-Jun-2011, 07:03 PM
Hey Leo....want to be an extra?

A Warner Bros. Film requires extras to play as Victims and Perpetrators within a city besieged by crime and corruption. Take part in the urban action adventure ripping through the streets of Pittsburgh from July 28th through August 21st

When:
Sat. June 11th: 9am – 1pm and 2pm – 5pm
Sun. June 12th: 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 6pm
Sat. June 18th: 9am – 1pm and 2pm – 5pm
Sun. June 19th: 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 6pm

Where:
The Omni Hotel
530 William Penn Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
In the William Penn Ballroom (ground floor/downstairs) – Use the Oliver St. Entrance

The film's production title is "Magnus Rex".

thxleo
14-Jun-2011, 04:45 AM
Hey Leo....want to be an extra?

The film's production title is "Magnus Rex".

I spent Saturday the 11th down at the Omni William Penn hotel and I was part of the first group to apply. So, who knows? Maybe I'll get lucky and get a call back. Either way I'm extremely excited that it's filming here in Pittsburgh!

thxleo
12-Jul-2011, 04:29 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/11/the-dark-knight-rises-teaser-poster_n_895346.html

Neil
12-Jul-2011, 06:03 AM
^^ Cool!

bassman
12-Jul-2011, 12:11 PM
It's a nice teaser poster, but i'm surprised to see the "breaking down" logo theme again. I was hoping for something a bit different this time around.

Can't wait for the teaser. Hopefully it's released online before Harry Potter's release.

Is it just me....or is there a superman shield on the left side? Weird. :shifty:

AcesandEights
12-Jul-2011, 01:49 PM
Is it just me....or is there a superman shield on the left side? Weird. :shifty:

I don't see it, but so much of the margins of the teaser poster blend it lulls my eyes into seeing just blurry. lumpy gray & black. I don't doubt it's a possibility, though.

bassman
18-Jul-2011, 04:11 PM
A bootleg of the real teaser is out there...

Dbx1Fie1t90

Not very much new footage, but I still can't wait to see it in proper HD within the next few days.

-- -------- Post added 18-Jul-2011 at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was 13-Jul-2011 at 09:52 AM ----------

Official Teaser Trailer (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2054374751994)

9Xas8KGekqQ

thxleo
20-Jul-2011, 04:36 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11201/1161542-53.stm

blind2d
21-Jul-2011, 06:01 PM
Conclusion?! No! It can't be! Need... Only good... Superhero-villains... Super-villains... Excluding Bane...

thxleo
28-Jul-2011, 07:36 PM
This is a neat little thing that the city of Pittsburgh did to welcome in The Dark Knight Rises production.

On a side note, today featured another serious geek moment for me by getting to meet Christopher Nolan. I'll also be one of thousands to work as an extra for a scene to be shot at Heinz Field for the film. Fun times here in the 'Burgh.

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/arts-a-entertainment/mad-about-the-movies/28766-pittsburgh-turns-on-welcome-light-for-the-dark-knight-rises

blind2d
28-Jul-2011, 08:01 PM
Congratulations! I'll be looking for you in the crowd scenes!!
...Not that I know what you look like...
Huh.
Have a muffin, anyway.
*gives muffin* - Derpy Hooves

clanglee
28-Jul-2011, 09:53 PM
Very cool Leo. Very cool indeed.

thxleo
30-Jul-2011, 05:42 PM
Today I spent some time over at the Pitt & CMU campus watching a scene being shot for the film. It involved Bane speaking to a large group of people. There were Gotham City news vans there and the tumbler was there too(it was camo, not black). I saw Christian Bale there as well practicing some fighting moves with a lot of stunt men dressed as prisoners in orange jumpsuits.

I got lots of pics, but I'm a little hesitant to put them on the internet. Lots of Tom Hardy in his full Bane makeup shots and some shots of the tumbler.

bassman
30-Jul-2011, 07:16 PM
Pics of the prisoners, tumbler, etc are already out there but no Bane. You would be the first. Pm, please. :cool:

thxleo
30-Jul-2011, 08:17 PM
Okay, what the hell. I didn't bother to edit the photo by zooming it in. But here is one of the pics of Tom Hardy as Bane. I got shots of him while filming and then shots of him out of the mask as well.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/229687_2213579310020_1563671083_32366856_4632867_n .jpg

bassman
30-Jul-2011, 08:40 PM
So can you describe his clothing? Looking at your picture it looks kinda like a dirty brown shirt, while it looks like a leather jacket of some sort in the teaser. I'm imagine it will change throughout the film, but I'm just curious as to what general direction they took it. It was obviously never going to be the wrestler-style spandex from the comics.

thxleo
30-Jul-2011, 08:53 PM
So can you describe his clothing? Looking at your picture it looks kinda like a dirty brown shirt, while it looks like a leather jacket of some sort in the teaser. I'm imagine it will change throughout the film, but I'm just curious as to what general direction they took it. It was obviously never going to be the wrestler-style spandex from the comics.

I couldn't begin to describe it accurately, but I'll give it a shot anyway. He's wearing a big coat because the scene is suppose to take place during the winter time in Gotham. The shirt, if you can call it that, underneath the coat looks like a "wife beater" mixed with a straight jacket or something along those lines. It's hard to describe. I have tons of pics, but I'm having issues with my photo editor so I could not edit the pic and zoom it in. On my camera I can zoom it in and you are able to get right up on his face. I have one photo where he is looking directly towards my general direction and that mask looks creepy as hell.

bassman
30-Jul-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the updates, man! I bet it's great to watch the conclusion to this series being filmed in your city. I can't wait to see the results. One of the best trilogies ever....i'm calling it now. :p

thxleo
31-Jul-2011, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the updates, man! I bet it's great to watch the conclusion to this series being filmed in your city. I can't wait to see the results. One of the best trilogies ever....i'm calling it now. :p

You are welcome, bassman. I was in total hog heaven, as they say, today watching the filming. I'm very excited to see this film here in Pittsburgh. I plan on going to watch them film in downtown a few times as well. Hopefully I can get some more pics! BTW, I heard from a friend of mine who stayed a little longer to watch the filming that Bane was driving the tumbler.

BTW, here's when I got to meet Christopher Nolan. This was a big time geek moment for me. LOL He was super cool.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/183983_2209051796835_1563671083_32359246_3478950_n .jpg

rongravy
31-Jul-2011, 04:49 PM
I like the old lady behind him. She just KNOWS she's in the picture, but refuses to get the fuck out. Btw, how do you get into all this stuff? Do I need to move to Pittsburg?
Geeeeeeeez...

Mitchified
03-Aug-2011, 12:35 PM
This is going to sound like an odd question, thxleo, but when you were at the scene where he was talking to a large group of people, did you happen to hear if he was speaking with an accent? I was just curious if they were keeping his South American origin from the comics or not.

bassman
03-Aug-2011, 12:48 PM
This 'news' is a few days old so you guys have probably seen it, but there are TONS of videos and pictures from the set Leo was at. Including some pictures involving a character spoiler that I won't show here. If you must know: there are pictures of Marion Cotillard's "Miranda Tate" character in clothes that look very similar to the League of Shadows' clothing. She's also walking with the mercenaries as if they're protecting her. So....Talia Al Ghul?

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/TDKR2SMALL.jpg

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/TDKR1.jpg

Plus some footage of some tumblerS. Yeah....plural.

thxleo
03-Aug-2011, 01:34 PM
This is going to sound like an odd question, thxleo, but when you were at the scene where he was talking to a large group of people, did you happen to hear if he was speaking with an accent? I was just curious if they were keeping his South American origin from the comics or not.

Great question and I wish I had answer, but I was not close enough to hear him speaking.

BTW, those pics that bassman is talking about are amazing. Seeing Batman and Bane fighting in broad daylight is incredible. That makes me wonder which fight happens first? The face off in the teaser trailer or this huge riot fight shot at CMU/Pitt?

Neil
05-Aug-2011, 09:16 AM
Here's Catwoman...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/2821/original/DKRkylesm.jpeg?1312533914

MinionZombie
05-Aug-2011, 09:43 AM
Here's Catwoman...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/2821/original/DKRkylesm.jpeg?1312533914

I'm still not keen on the idea after Halle Berry's car crash of a spin-off movie, but if anyone can make it work, it's Nolan.

bassman
05-Aug-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm still not keen on the idea after Halle Berry's car crash of a spin-off movie

IMHO, the character has yet to be portrayed on screen as a true adaptation from the comics. I would have said the same about Harvey Dent/Two Face before July 2008, but Nolan knocked that character out of the park.

As for picture of Catwoman......ehhhh....okay I guess. I'll reserve judgment until I see a bit more. She'll probably have more than one suit, anyway. Her initial suit and then probably one that Batman hooks her up with after they become "partners".

It's also funny that the first pictures of her are on the batpod. I've been reading a batman board the past few days and they were all foaming at the mouth over a rumor that Catwoman would be riding the batpod down the steps of Carnegie Melon. I guess that's why the studio put the picture out real quick rather than a spy photo being her reveal.

-- -------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

Another look:

http://cdn.buzznet.com/media/jj1/2011/08/hathaway-catwoman/anne-hathaway-as-dark-knight-rises-catwoman-first-look-02.JPG

That's a stunt woman of course, but it looks better from that angle, imo.

AcesandEights
05-Aug-2011, 02:15 PM
That's a stunt woman of course, but it looks better from that angle, imo.
Why, yes. Yes, it does. :D

blind2d
05-Aug-2011, 03:45 PM
Catwoman... O.O
*shakes head* :) NOW I want to see this movie!

Tricky
05-Aug-2011, 06:17 PM
Mmmm tight leather suit and a lovely arse.....:sneaky:

Neil
05-Aug-2011, 08:42 PM

Hopefully they can CGI a bust onto her? :)

thxleo
07-Aug-2011, 01:22 AM
Just got back home from filming all day at Heinz Field. Got to see the field literally destroyed and got to film reaction scenes of us horrified and scared. But the best part was Bane's entrance onto the field after the destruction. I have no idea if they are going to alter Tom Hardy's voice in post production, because his Bane voice sounded nothing like I thought it would. He almost sounded like Yoda from ROTJ. "Gotham, take control...take control of your city."

Rancid Carcass
07-Aug-2011, 02:00 AM

The Dark Knight Rises, or Batman Gets a Chubby... I guess that photo explains the name of the film... :elol:

bassman
09-Aug-2011, 03:42 PM
I have no idea if they are going to alter Tom Hardy's voice in post production, because his Bane voice sounded nothing like I thought it would. He almost sounded like Yoda from ROTJ. "Gotham, take control...take control of your city."

I've just seen videos of this. You're right....it's really strange. Not what I expected at all. Kinda sounds like an old man? I suppose it's better than the cliche "tough guy" voice, anyway.

I've also just seen video of catwoman smashing into an Imax camera with the batpod. Out of the few Imax cameras in the world, Nolan has now destroyed two. :lol:

ProfessorChaos
09-Aug-2011, 10:15 PM
saw a video of that heinz field bit. that bane voice is almost laughable....not a big fan of catwoman's get-up, either.

gonna hold judgement till i see it, but not really liking what i've seen so far. will have to bury my head in the sand on this one (as much as one can in this day and age of the internet and early set pics, leaked scripts, etc) and just wait till next summer so as to get the full effect of the film.

blind2d
10-Aug-2011, 01:12 PM
I would just like to echo-

Wait, no, I can't, in good conscious. Conscience. I haven't seen any video yet of it, and intend to keep it that way. Interested in the film, of course. I wonder if Catwoman no. 3 is going to be better than no. 2. I certainly hope so. But we'll see.

thxleo
10-Aug-2011, 05:26 PM
Just wanted to share a few more photos I've taken over the last week to 10 days of the filming...

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/282187_2227288372738_1563671083_32386441_5644733_n .jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/282187_2227288412739_1563671083_32386442_7992880_n .jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/185595_2238760339530_1563671083_32403483_1911348_n .jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/185595_2238760299529_1563671083_32403482_6730476_n .jpg

major jay
10-Aug-2011, 09:41 PM
Just wanted to share a few more photos I've taken over the last week to 10 days of the filming...
You're awesome.
I dig this too.
Players including Ward, who even had his own stunt double, Ben Roethlisberger and Troy Polamalu suited up for the Rogues team, with Bill Cowher as head coach and Kevin Colbert (Steelers' Director of Football Operations) as assistant coach.

While Cowher's appearance drew cheers from crowd, Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl, dusting off his college football skills, was booed as he sported the jersey of rival team The Rapid City Monuments. All of the players' jerseys were printed with their real last names and NFL numbers.

Ravenstahl punted to Ward, who returned the kick, but never quite made it into the end zone due to a large explosion. Now there's a sentence I never thought I'd type.

bassman
12-Aug-2011, 04:38 PM
Batman's new ride?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/371034986.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1313167967&Signature=IsvuGxOHIzcvx4kzRlG9MplmuWA%3D

http://cdn.batman-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/TDKRbatwing.jpg

Possibly the new batwing? I never thought Nolan would have one in his "realistic" approach, honestly.

thxleo
15-Aug-2011, 09:12 PM
Some more photos I've taken while filming has taken place here in Pittsburgh...

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/299438_2250470512277_1563671083_32419751_3260143_n .jpg
The new flying vehicle

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/299438_2250470552278_1563671083_32419752_6872539_n .jpg
Chris Nolan talks with his DP, Wally Pfister

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/299438_2250470592279_1563671083_32419753_5504044_n .jpg
An elevated shot from a parking garage of a scene being shot with a couple of tumblers pursuing a large truck

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/299438_2250470632280_1563671083_32419754_6085900_n .jpg
Gary Oldman shooting an action scene

bassman
15-Aug-2011, 09:16 PM
Looking at the last picture with Oldman.....If they were rolling, I think you might be in the shot. :p :lol:

major jay
16-Aug-2011, 11:08 PM
http://www.wpxi.com/news/28697651/detail.html

bassman
25-Oct-2011, 01:27 PM
Much like they did for The Dark Knight back in December 2007, Warner Brothers will be attaching a 6-7 minute IMAX clip of The Dark Knight Rises to 70MM IMAX prints of Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol this December. Keep in mind that it appears it will only be at 70MM showings and not digital IMAX.

I do want to see the new M:I film and seeing the bank heist from TDK was incredible, but I may just hold off this time around. The first time it was a special treat to see the first ever motion picture filmed with IMAX, so i'm not sure that novelty is really there for this one. No doubt it will be beautiful, though. I still remember gasping at that opening helicopter shot of Gotham. Breathtaking stuff.

AcesandEights
25-Oct-2011, 01:34 PM
They're already that far along?! Holy crap, I didn't expect a trailer anytime soon, certainly not before the end of the year.

bassman
25-Oct-2011, 01:37 PM
They seem to be on about the same schedule as the last film. Teaser the summer before, Trailer 1 & IMAX scene in December, then of course two more trailers spaced out leading up to the release.

They're almost done filming. They just recently wrapped in Los Angeles, now they have a bit to do in New York and they're done, I believe.

Neil
28-Nov-2011, 09:07 AM
Batcopter - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52093

Rancid Carcass
11-Dec-2011, 01:27 AM
New poster. Prepare for awesome...

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1164216/superb_new_poster_for_the_dark_knight_rises.html

:cool:

bassman
11-Dec-2011, 12:01 PM
That IS an awesome poster! I'll wait until they release them all to decide, but that one looks like it will be the one to go nicely next to my BB and TDK posters...

Trancelikestate
11-Dec-2011, 01:25 PM
As HUGE a batman fan as i am an no matter how hard i try, i can't like these movies. :( I think it's Bale. Don't get me wrong, TDK was awesome but Bale is like captain bringdown or something.

thxleo
11-Dec-2011, 07:59 PM
As HUGE a batman fan as i am an no matter how hard i try, i can't like these movies. :( I think it's Bale. Don't get me wrong, TDK was awesome but Bale is like captain bringdown or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0qsi1z4Fi8&feature=related

AcesandEights
12-Dec-2011, 12:23 AM
Removed a few hostile posts not conducive to the topic of the thread.

bassman
14-Dec-2011, 01:45 PM
So I've seen the prologue that will be attached to IMAX prints of Mission Impossible 4 and it is pretty damn cool. Without any real spoilers, it opens with Gordon's speech from the end of TDK("I believed in Harvey Dent"), then sweeps into an aerial sequence that serves as the introduction of Bane.

Speaking of Bane, I get the feeling that Tom Hardy has done for Bane what Heath Ledger did for the Joker. He's virtually unrecognizable in the role. He seems like a totally different person. My only complaint is the clarity of his voice. Sometimes it's a bit difficult to understand what he's saying, but this may be fixed before the film's release. His accent is really cool. It's hard to pinpoint what accent it actually is, but i'm relieved he didn't go with the typical "tough guy" voice. It also has a slight mechanical or digital sound to it.

Much like the prologue to TDK, after the scene is over they also show some quick shots from the film. Batman's plane flying through the streets, riots in the streets, quick shots of Catwoman(she looks much better in the film, I thought), Bane and Batman fighting in the snow(WOW), Joseph Gordon Levitt, and a truly EPIC shot of Bane carrying Batman's cowl.

The visual scope of this film is incredible. I don't know how else to describe some of these shots other than "EPIC". Nolan may have really topped the previous two films.

A new trailer will be in theaters with Sherlock Holmes this weekend, btw. Should be online soon. Can't wait to see it.

krisvds
14-Dec-2011, 02:37 PM
Aw, you lucky man. Can't wait to see some actual footage. Of all the popcorn directors Nolan is one of my favourites.
Read about the 'incomprehensible' Bane dialogues somewhere else. IGN if I'm not mistaken.
Him talking to Batman could be comedy gold. ;)

bassman
15-Dec-2011, 12:45 PM
Can't wait to see some actual footage.

It's bootleg, but the new trailer has leaked and it gives you a decent idea of what the film looks like....http://www.megavideo.com/?v=Q2NY5HCA

krisvds
15-Dec-2011, 02:16 PM
It's bootleg, but the new trailer has leaked and it gives you a decent idea of what the film looks like....http://www.megavideo.com/?v=Q2NY5HCA

Cheers!

MinionZombie
15-Dec-2011, 04:29 PM

Ooh, that little bit of the soundtrack/theme that kicks in at the end always gives me a chill.

Naturally, this is going to be one of the most anticipated flicks of 2012 for me! :)

Neil
15-Dec-2011, 04:41 PM
Ooh, that little bit of the soundtrack/theme that kicks in at the end always gives me a chill.

Naturally, this is going to be one of the most anticipated flicks of 2012 for me! :)

A lot of people are going to be expecting a super lot from this flick!

MinionZombie
15-Dec-2011, 05:35 PM
A lot of people are going to be expecting a super lot from this flick!

And that's always a worry, isn't it?

I was really anticipating Iron Man 2 but then it turned out to be a bit of a mess ... that said, Nolan's Batman films are decidedly superior to the Iron Man franchise ... don't get me wrong, Iron Man rocked a shedload, but it wasn't on the same level as Batman Begins or The Dark Knight. I just hope that Nolan continues to exhibit the magic touch - however I have complete faith in the man - I think it's down to the audience members now. It's down to them to manage their excitement, as the final product can then never deliver quite the thrill of the anticipation ... so you get a bit of a let down feeling upon first viewing ... however, upon second viewing you get to see it on it's own terms (as should have been the case initially) and then you really get the true measure of the flick.

bassman
16-Dec-2011, 12:55 PM
A decent bootleg of the prologue and sizzle reel, if interested. The quality improves quite well after a minute or so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK5c3i3CY4U

If you wish to avoid the prologue, I still highly recommend the sizzle reel that starts at 5:51. Not even close to the same impact as seeing it in IMAX, but its still great to see again.

krisvds
16-Dec-2011, 01:13 PM
Wow. Thx a lot :)

Looking great. ( Bit of a 007 vibe to that Bane in the plane scene ) Nolan would make a fantastic Bond film I think.
But yeah, Bane is pretty much incomprehensible.

MinionZombie
16-Dec-2011, 05:34 PM
Annnnd it's been taken down. :p

bassman
16-Dec-2011, 08:36 PM
Annnnd it's been taken down. :p

Well....it's "out there". With a quick search, you're sure to find a decent copy. Hell....just hit the imdb boards every now and then and it's guaranteed. I was surprised to see the one I posted lasted as long as it did. WB needs to smarten up and just release the trailer now rather than waiting until after the Sherlock Holmes opening weekend. Anyone that wanted to see the trailer(or prologue, for that matter) has already done so in bootleg form. It's not like they're making money by holding off till Sunday/Monday....

MinionZombie
17-Dec-2011, 09:54 AM
Well....it's "out there". With a quick search, you're sure to find a decent copy. Hell....just hit the imdb boards every now and then and it's guaranteed. I was surprised to see the one I posted lasted as long as it did. WB needs to smarten up and just release the trailer now rather than waiting until after the Sherlock Holmes opening weekend. Anyone that wanted to see the trailer(or prologue, for that matter) has already done so in bootleg form. It's not like they're making money by holding off till Sunday/Monday....

Although they probably want to treat it like they're doing because it adds an extra air of mystery and even an illicit thrill. The fans are chomping at the bit for it, so if they keep playing this little game of taking down bootleg videos every few hours, it becomes like a chase and catching a grubby glimpse at a very rough bootleg becomes a thrill.

But I do look forward to seeing the footage in its proper form. :)

bassman
19-Dec-2011, 05:29 PM
Official trailer released: http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/169081-the-trailer-for-the-dark-knight-rises-officially-online

GokKUqLcvD8

AcesandEights
19-Dec-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Bass! Been looking forward to this and I'll check it out tonight when I get home. :D

ProfessorChaos
19-Dec-2011, 09:51 PM
dunno, that trailer left me feeling kinda "meh" about this film at the moment. and folks weren't kidding when they said you can barely understand bane....all i got from his line in the trailer was "kflkdakdsjdfkjflkajoei gotham kfjaslfdoijasoidfjod die."

will still probably see it and it will likely be awesome, but i have nowhere near the level of interest in this film as i did in the previous one.

bassman
19-Dec-2011, 10:19 PM
"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die". I was actually able to understand him more in the trailer than I did in the theater for the prologue. And he has much more dialogue in the prologue. Hopefully this will all be improved upon in post production.

teuR--JbSm8

:lol:

MinionZombie
20-Dec-2011, 09:43 AM
I understood Bane's line ... mostly ... but I think they could use a little tweaking in the final mix before the movie goes out, otherwise that's all anyone will ever talk about.

I'm really up for the movie, but that trailer didn't give me the fanboy chills I was expecting ... the chanting is still good, but yeah, the trailer for The Dark Knight got me all kinds of psyched, but I think this trailer for TDKR needs work ... maybe they should get another company to cut a new trailer? Just look at Fincher's movies - the trailers are now becoming something to really look forward to in their own right (The Social Network with the choral version of "Creep", and that awesomely driving teaser for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo).

So yeah - Warner Brothers need to find a better trailer for TDKR methinks. I mean heck, yes they could just scribble "The Dark Knight Rises is out on [INSERT DATE] so go and see it please" and I'd be there with bells on, but the trailer is really just servicable rather than memorable now that I've seen it a couple more times.

Neil
20-Dec-2011, 11:26 AM
I understood Bane's line ... mostly ...
Me too...

bassman
20-Dec-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm really up for the movie, but that trailer didn't give me the fanboy chills I was expecting ... the chanting is still good, but yeah, the trailer for The Dark Knight got me all kinds of psyched, but I think this trailer for TDKR needs work ... maybe they should get another company to cut a new trailer?

While I'm still super excited to see this movie, I would have to agree. It may have a lot to do with The Joker being in the previous film. He was such an iconic character and everyone was so excited to see how he would be portrayed, it probably added an extra bit of excitement to the mix. EVERYONE knows who The Joker is. Bane, however, is a fairly new character to the world of Batman and Catwoman isn't featured AT ALL in this trailer. So the general audience with a lack of knowledge for the source material are probably looking at this new trailer and saying "Who are these people?!? Where's the Riddler?!? Where's the Penguin?!?".

It probably would have helped a lot if they had shown Catwoman once or twice rather than Selina Kyle, but I imagine the final trailer will have much more for her.

EvilNed
20-Dec-2011, 01:26 PM
Seems like more of the same, tho, doesn't it?

Neil
20-Dec-2011, 02:19 PM

That's not necessarily a bad thing is it though considering what we've had before?

So, Kelly Brook and you have a marathon down and dirty 'session'. As she leaves, brushing the hair from her flushed face, and still fighting to get her breath back, she say, 'same again next week Ned?'

Your reply is, 'Meh?'

MinionZombie
20-Dec-2011, 07:00 PM
That's not necessarily a bad thing is it though considering what we've had before?

So, Kelly Brook and you have a marathon down and dirty 'session'. As she leaves, brushing the hair from her flushed face, and still fighting to get her breath back, she say, 'same again next week Ned?'

Your reply is, 'Meh?'

I think we can all tell that Neil rather enjoyed it when Kelly Brook started hosting The Big Breakfast back in the day, then... :D

bassman
20-Dec-2011, 07:09 PM

Yeah, but isn't that what should be expected in the third part of a trilogy being completed by the same crew?

If this were different writers/director/etc I would hope for something different, but it's nice to have this continuity and finality in the trilogy, imo. Finally....a coherent series of Batman films.:)

Neil
20-Dec-2011, 09:04 PM
I think we can all tell that Neil rather enjoyed it when Kelly Brook started hosting The Big Breakfast back in the day, then... :D

Let's put it this way, I've only bothered watching 2 minutes of Piranha!

Tricky
20-Dec-2011, 10:05 PM

People say the same about AC/DC and Motorhead, but thats why I love 'em :D

AcesandEights
20-Dec-2011, 10:15 PM
Finally got around to watching it. Looks pretty good.

Didn't realize they added another villain to the film:

http://www.fatalien.com/assets/images/south-park-animation-ned.gif
Can't shake the feeling that Nolan's Batman films are one big anti-smoking campaign.

Neil
21-Dec-2011, 08:57 AM
People say the same about AC/DC and Motorhead, but thats why I love 'em :D

What was the classic line ZZ Top used about themselves? Same three guys, same three chords.

EvilNed
21-Dec-2011, 02:09 PM

Maybe I should clarify, I wasn't that big of a fan of TDK. It was too long, too dramatic for my tastes. To date, it's my least favorite Nolan film, as I think all his others were really great. I prefer his forays into speculative fiction, rather than his Batman films.

TDK was too long, too gray, too dull for my tastes. Hence: "Looks like more of the same.", thus "Meh."

Neil
22-Dec-2011, 11:25 AM
More on Bane's voice - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Christopher-Nolan-Slightly-Alter-Bane-Dialogue-Dark-Knight-Rises-28451.html

krisvds
22-Dec-2011, 03:21 PM
"Chris wants the audience to catch up and participate rather than push everything at them. He doesn't dumb things down."

Well, if he respects our intelligence that much, surely he must be aware that we can read subtitles. That way he wont have to alter his artistic vision one bit.
It's not like Bane will have that many monologues.

As cool as the new imagery is, I still think it's a pity they didn't go for a different 'bad guy'.
Batman in full detective mode solving 'riddles' without stuff blowing up every ten minutes or something like that would REALLY have an audience participate more than just watching the lovely fireworks ...

Neil
22-Dec-2011, 05:47 PM
Batman in full detective mode solving 'riddles' without stuff blowing up every ten minutes or something like that would REALLY have an audience participate more than just watching the lovely fireworks ...

Got Sherlock for that :)

EvilNed
22-Dec-2011, 06:01 PM
I for one think Bane seems to be the coolest thing about this flick. I don't know what people have got against him?

Bane seems more like a villain in my style, rather than The Joker, truth be told.

krisvds
22-Dec-2011, 06:26 PM
Got Sherlock for that :)

Hehe. True. Batman = Sherlock + Dracula + Zorro and a pinch of Bond in the Nolanverse.

bassman
22-Dec-2011, 06:50 PM
I for one think Bane seems to be the coolest thing about this flick. I don't know what people have got against him?

While Bane does seem cool and definitely rocked the prologue scenes, I'm still more excited to see if Catwoman is finally given the respect she deserves. At this point it seems obvious that Hardy knocked the role of Bane out of the park, so if they can get Catwoman right then this will be one hell of a trilogy. Considering Nolan has correctly portrayed every other character, I have no reason to doubt him at this point.

It's going to be interesting to see how he "ends" this trilogy, really. I've seen people speculating between Bruce Wayne dying, "batman" dying and Wayne living on, a new character continuing the legend of batman, etc. There are really a ton of different directions they could take it, but it will definitely be tricky to "end" the series without stepping on toes. Especially when you consider that WB/DC are planning further movies and a JLA with Nolan still on board as producer...

bassman
12-Apr-2012, 10:35 AM
Hubba Hubba...

http://cdn.batman-news.com/wp-content/gallery/other/cathqpromo.jpg

Looks like the main inspiration may be Julie Newmar's Catwoman from the Tv series.

http://www.historyguy.com/comicshistory/julie_newmar_catwoman_tv.jpg

Could probably use some black makeup around her eyes, though...

http://cdn.batman-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/TDKREWApril12post1.jpg

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/TDKR_catsteal.jpg

Neil
12-Apr-2012, 01:23 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news/30388/Batman_And_Catwoman_Featured_The_Cover_The_New_Ent ertainment_Weekly_1334184939.jpg

...and mine is bigger than yours :)
http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news/30383/New_Dark_Knight_Rises_Promo_Art_Shows_Off_Anne_Hat haway_Her_Catsuit_1334170806.jpg

MoonSylver
12-Apr-2012, 10:22 PM
:stunned:

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ledj5ndj471qzpn6vo1_500.jpg

Neil
01-May-2012, 08:18 AM
g8evyE9TuYk

bassman
01-May-2012, 11:47 AM
Already watched it several times and I still get goosebumps.

Batman and Catwoman fighting together. Nerdgasm...

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3bs72W8R01qdj4i3o1_500.gif

shootemindehead
17-May-2012, 01:20 AM
They seemed to have toned down the stupid voice this time.

rongravy
17-May-2012, 01:58 AM
The Batmobile was here last Sunday. The Tumbler, or whatever?
I didn't go, but my kid did. He took some pictures of him with it.

bassman
17-May-2012, 02:11 AM
The Batmobile was here last Sunday. The Tumbler, or whatever?
I didn't go, but my kid did. He took some pictures of him with it.

Yeah, Warner Brothers is touring both The Tumbler and The Batpod around the country for promotion: http://www.tumblertour.com/

Aside from the batmobile from Batman & Robin, The Tumbler is the only one i've yet to see in person, so i'm looking forward to it.

Neil
22-May-2012, 07:34 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/7177/original/the-dark-knight-rises-poster-final.jpg?1337651994

bassman
22-May-2012, 09:45 PM
^ A bit underwhelming seeing as how it's just a previous poster with Batman thrown in, but it's alright. It kind of matches the "Welcome to a world without rules" poster from the previous film.

I'm still hoping for a truly great poster that will line up nicely next to BB & TDK on my wall...

-- -------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

Six new character posters:

http://cdn.batman-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/6TDKRposters.jpg

Sammich
22-May-2012, 10:41 PM
Is that the guy from Mortal Combat on the end posters?

bassman
23-May-2012, 01:00 AM
Is that the guy from Mortal Combat on the end posters?

Nolan decided to use the last entry of his Batman trilogy to lead into the film adaptation of Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/image/article/937/937108/MKvsDC_guide_1228870604.jpg

Christopher Jon
23-May-2012, 01:10 AM
Nolan decided to use the last entry of his Batman trilogy to lead into the film adaptation of Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/image/article/937/937108/MKvsDC_guide_1228870604.jpg

Call me crazy but I want to see that.

shootemindehead
23-May-2012, 02:31 AM
"Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe"

This is why I hate comics.

bassman
23-May-2012, 11:40 AM

It's a video game....

MoonSylver
23-May-2012, 10:58 PM

Quits making excuses. You hate everything. No other explanation necessary. :lol:

bassman
24-May-2012, 12:25 PM
Some TV spots that showcase the lighter tone of the film:

kOR7bE5AdTQ

imE3EaitaHk

Glad to see a shot of the new batcave. While the bunker in TDK was pretty cool, i've been waiting to see the "improvements in the southwest corner" that were promised at the end of Batman Begins...

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg855/scaled.php?server=855&filename=captureyx.jpg&res=landing

AcesandEights
24-May-2012, 02:17 PM
Man, I really like the cast for this film, hope it delivers. It certainly seems like this is going to be the furthest out there installment of this version of Batman, which only makes sense as the series progresses. Well, Nolan knows his film making, so I can't get too worried.

shootemindehead
24-May-2012, 04:33 PM
Quits making excuses. You hate everything. No other explanation necessary. :lol:

Curses...I've been rumbled!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7gg81sk9eDk/S-sLUB_-biI/AAAAAAAABns/pTTOBJnYUa4/s320/villain-cartoon.jpg

-- -------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

It's a video game....

This is why I hate video games.

hey...wait a sec...

krisvds
25-May-2012, 05:37 AM
For the most part : cool banners (perhaps a bit too heavily photoshopped)

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2012/05/TDKR_StandOff_Dom-610x280.jpg

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2012/05/TDKR_RobberBane-610x280.jpg

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2012/05/TDKR_CatwomanBike_Dom-610x280.jpg

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2012/05/TDKR_DTKCop_Dom1-610x280.jpg

Batman and Bane sure like to stand on top of cars.

bassman
03-Jun-2012, 04:34 PM
A heads up for those interested:

AMC IMAX theaters will start selling tickets to TDKR on June 11th. Also, they will hold a marathon of the entire Nolan trilogy leading into the midnight premiere of TDKR.

Although not filmed in the IMAX format, i'm excited to see BB for the first time on an Imax screen. Plus viewing the entire trilogy on the format should be amazing...

rongravy
03-Jun-2012, 07:30 PM
Also, they will hold a marathon of the entire Nolan trilogy leading into the midnight premiere of TDKR.

That'd be cool, better if you could take weed breaks between films. Wonder what that'd run you pricewise. I've never even been to IMAX before.

bassman
03-Jun-2012, 09:09 PM
That'd be cool, better if you could take weed breaks between films. Wonder what that'd run you pricewise. I've never even been to IMAX before.

I can't speak for the weed breaks, but they usually have a good break between films. For The Avengers marathon I think they had roughly 45 minutes between features.

bassman
19-Jun-2012, 03:20 PM
New trailer:

ASQqjK47c04

bassman
04-Jul-2012, 04:33 AM
TDKR is two hours and forty five minutes.

One thing that all fans should remember: Not all IMAX is real IMAX.

TDKR has been filmed in the true IMAX format for a reason. Don't let "LieMax" cinemas fool you.....

A small featurette on the specifics of REAL Imax....
Wm2vIaD3GYQ

krisvds
04-Jul-2012, 04:45 AM
Great! That's a lot of Batman in that film. Makes you wonder just how big this story is going to be if it takes Nolan that long to tell it.. I'm hoping for some big surprises and will try to stay as unspoiled as possible for this.

On imax; breaks my heart to see those features. In Belgium there was one of the very first IMAX screens in the world (well, Europe for sure). It opened in '89 and basically just showed documentaries shot in that format. Needless to say initial interest waned with the absence of true 'films' being shown on that gargantuan screen (a Rolling Stones live concert being an exception) soKinepolis (the cinema who owned the screen) shut it down a couple of years ago. Damn!

shootemindehead
04-Jul-2012, 11:22 AM
We had the same problem in Ireland Kris. IMAX did well over here, even though there was a very limited amount of movies to actually see. A lot of people still went to see the docs etc, but when nothing "movie-like" was being shown, attendences lowered to the point that it closed.

I believe that we're getting another one soon though.

Neil
06-Jul-2012, 04:22 PM
qGQpwIoez1U

bassman
06-Jul-2012, 05:22 PM
^^ That's one of the best TV spots, but I believe this has been my favorite. Even my wife said "daaaamn" at :13 & 14:. :lol:

axLUrhS_lD4

Also - Tweets and rumblings about a recent critics screening are coming out. Looks like Nolan has done it again. They say it's amazing and some people even say they cried at the end?....

krisvds
07-Jul-2012, 11:20 AM
Wooooot! Hype train full steam ahead.

In case you guys haven't seen it yet there's a pretty sweet Dark Knight celebration over at empire.

http://www.empireonline.com/features/darkknighttrilogy/

Here's a Gary Oldman sample:
There was a really big gear shift from Batman Begins to The Dark Knight. How would you define the gear shift again to this final instalment?
Well this is truly... Epic. You know those Fast And Furious movies where they drive at one speed, then they hit that button? And they put the octane or the gas into the engine and they seem to drive at hyperspeed? This is Chris hitting the button. This is the Fast And Furious version. It is a truly epic conclusion to the whole thing, and I don't mean that in a gratuitous way.

shootemindehead
07-Jul-2012, 12:52 PM
Funny, I just can't picture Gary Oldman sitting down of an evening and watching 'Fast and Furious'.

krisvds
08-Jul-2012, 03:51 AM
13 minute 'featurette...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UuUxqfAOUM&feature=player_embedded

A bit spoilery, ...

bassman
08-Jul-2012, 04:30 AM
I would love to have Nolan commentary tracks. His thoughts on his own films would be amazing.

As I think Oldman said in the featurette, Nolan is a master at both spectacle and the story that comes along with it.

krisvds
08-Jul-2012, 04:58 AM
I love these films, but Nolan a 'master at spectacle'? I always found the fast and kinetic action scenes in his films to be hard to follow.
This guy explains it in more detail than i can :

Dark Knight, cutting problems (http://vimeo.com/28792404)

It's something I found was already a problem in Batman Begins and it's been there up to Inception.

MinionZombie
08-Jul-2012, 11:44 AM
kris - is that the video of a guy whinging about the chase sequence with the armoured truck and the underground road etc?

I saw that a while back when it first sparked online, and while yes, there are legitimate mistakes (directions get changed), the guy who posted the video also makes mistakes of his own in his complaints ... some of his whinging is just unfounded (e.g. there is no problem regarding where Harvey Dent is sitting in the van, he doesn't change sides of the van at all) ... but also, I followed that entire sequence just fine. I was never once confused ... yes, the axis is sometimes crossed, and is so not always "100% correct" in terms of formal film language, but at the same time the quick pacing easily glosses over these small, frankly forgiveable mistakes, with ease - I understood the sequence with no problems, personally.

I would say Nolan is a masterful filmmaker, I really would. For example, in Inception, the rotating gravity fight in the hotel in dream #2 (as the van barrel-rolls down an embankment in dream #1) was a real breath-taker in my opinion.

EvilNed
08-Jul-2012, 11:47 AM
I too had trouble following the action in the car chase when I saw it in the cinema. In fact, very much so. But apart from that, I've never had any problems with any of Nolan's fights. Inception, as noted above, being the pinnacle of Nolanesque action.

bassman
11-Jul-2012, 12:04 PM
What is being called the "Journey" trailer. Basically it covers the entire trilogy. I got a little choked up with this one...

lCjhLVTqctQ

krisvds
11-Jul-2012, 12:41 PM
kris - is that the video of a guy whinging about the chase sequence with the armoured truck and the underground road etc?

I saw that a while back when it first sparked online, and while yes, there are legitimate mistakes (directions get changed), the guy who posted the video also makes mistakes of his own in his complaints ... some of his whinging is just unfounded (e.g. there is no problem regarding where Harvey Dent is sitting in the van, he doesn't change sides of the van at all) ... but also, I followed that entire sequence just fine. I was never once confused ... yes, the axis is sometimes crossed, and is so not always "100% correct" in terms of formal film language, but at the same time the quick pacing easily glosses over these small, frankly forgiveable mistakes, with ease - I understood the sequence with no problems, personally.

I would say Nolan is a masterful filmmaker, I really would. For example, in Inception, the rotating gravity fight in the hotel in dream #2 (as the van barrel-rolls down an embankment in dream #1) was a real breath-taker in my opinion.

Oh, sure, Nolan is a masterful filmmaker, no mistake. And yes that guy in the video sure is exagerating when he's talking about Dent's position in the back of the van. But on the whole he does point out a few mistakes that in editing could have been avoided. I had the same problems in The Dark Knight in the scene, near the end of the film, where Batman attacks the swat team and uses his cellular phone/radar 'trick' ... a very confusing scene for me. Same with the fisticuffs scene in the Eastern prisoner camp at the beginning of the first Nolan Batman film; it's very hard (with the camera up really close and the frantic cutting back and forth) to make out who is where doing what. Also the climactic action scene storming the enemy structure in the snow at the end of inception is quite confusing. At least to me ...

Compare this kind of editing with for instance the way the late Sally Menke cut Tarantino's frantic action scenes in Kill Bill. The big showdown that ends the first film is never confusing despite the bride fighting dozens of bad guys in the night club. You don't even notice how complicated that scene really is.

Don't get me wrong though. I love the Nolan action films, all of them. But more for the general design, atmosphere, world building and actor's performances than the actual fight scenes. Very much looking forward to Dark Knight Rises. But Nolan a master of action scenes? I just don't see it.

bassman
11-Jul-2012, 12:45 PM
There's a difference between spectacle and action, imo. Although I don't really have an issue with his action with the exception of a couple fight scenes in BB.

rongravy
12-Jul-2012, 06:10 AM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=497_1342024858
A deleted scene already?
;)

bassman
12-Jul-2012, 05:39 PM
PeeWee Herman is in The Dark Knight Rises???

bdb2w1Yu97E

ProfessorChaos
16-Jul-2012, 03:41 AM
found batman begins and the dark knight on blu ray for 10 bones each, watching them this week, and we've got advance tickets for friday night. very, very excited about this film, hoping it wraps us this series of films in a unforgettable fashion.

krisvds
16-Jul-2012, 07:20 AM
No surprises here:

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=137000

"...As ever, Nolan’s Batman is at its best in the more intimate moments"

bassman
16-Jul-2012, 11:19 AM
With spectacle in abundance and sexiness in (supporting) parts, this is superhero filmmaking on an unprecedented scale. Rises may lack the surprise of Begins or the anarchy of Knight, but it makes up for that in pure emotion. A fitting epitaph for the hero Gotham deserves.

Noice.

As Kris pointed out with his link, the review embargo has been lifted. Be careful what reviews you guys read. I accidentally stumbled into a spoiler that I wish I hadn't. :(

krisvds
16-Jul-2012, 02:40 PM
Damn. I'm avoiding all articles on the film from now on. The Empire one is safe though.
Don't want this film spoiled. In the continuing onslaught of costumed superhero-films, this is the only one I really want to see.

rongravy
16-Jul-2012, 02:44 PM
found batman begins and the dark knight on blu ray for 10 bones each, watching them this week, and we've got advance tickets for friday night. very, very excited about this film, hoping it wraps us this series of films in a unforgettable fashion.

At Wal Mart? The dvd's were $5, I thought the blu ray was less than $10, maybe $7.50, but don't remember. I don't have one so I thought about getting the dvd's just to add to the superhero collection. I also saw the first 2 Superman dvd's were going for $5. I may grab those too, finally. Tired of rerenting them at the store. I know it's only 49 cents but still...

Neil
19-Jul-2012, 09:50 AM
Reviews seem +ve - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57048

"director Christopher Nolan and his team have delivered the grandest, most emotional and superheroic chapter in their Batman saga."

-- -------- Post added 19-Jul-2012 at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was 17-Jul-2012 at 11:28 AM ----------

WOW! Stay clear of reviews/articles where people can comment!

This film seems to be dragging all the trolls on the planet out of their cages with loads of people seeming to think its cool posting spoilers in large letters in every comment/reply they can purely to f*ck up peoples experience! I'd ban people for such action!

Already seen this happening in two places so now have had a major spoiler thrust in my face by these cretins!

Don't make the same mistake as me!

bassman
19-Jul-2012, 12:06 PM
Same thing happened to me, Neil. I stopped reading the reviews a few days ago and i'm avoiding most movie/batman sites. It's a shame people want to be like that.

But.....today's the day! I'm off to see the entire trilogy this afternoon. Can't wait. If i'm not too tired, I'll drop by with a mini SPOILER FREE review when I return home.

AcesandEights
19-Jul-2012, 01:10 PM
Rotten Tomatoes shuts down 'Batman' comments after death threats (http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-rotten-tomatoes-shuts-down-batman-comments-after-death-threats-20120718,0,2005167.story)

Damn Bass, didn't know you posted at Rotten Tomatoes :p

Enjoy the viewing today, I'll probably not get around to seeing it till next weekend.

bassman
19-Jul-2012, 03:07 PM

Nah....I love me some Batman, but those kinds of responses are just insane.

As is to be expected with this sort of film, there are also reviews that are intentionally very negative just to gain some attention. Rex Reed with the Observer gives the film the lowest possible rating and basically calls it garbage. Of course there will be people that genuinely don't like the film, but this guy just bashes it from beginning to end as if he went in WANTING to hate it. Which would probably make sense because he's often called Nolan one of the worst filmmakers of this generation. It's quite obvious that he was just trolling, but it's also quite funny...

MinionZombie
19-Jul-2012, 04:13 PM
Sheesh, Rex Reed sounds like a bell end...

As for TDKR - I want to go and see it this week, but it's unbelievable how hard it is to scrounge up a couple of mates to go and see it at the cinema. I mean it's ludicrous - you send out a message and a week later you've still got sod all, and for one of the most anticipated movies of the year. All these people, constantly on their phones, but they never respond to any fucking messages - pisses me right the hell off.

Where was I? Oh aye, I want to see it this weekend, and hopefully I will, but who-the-hell-knows ... my generation sucks arse at getting even a casual arrangement together. :mad:

As for reviews - haven't read a single one yet. Comment trolls, negative nancies, etc etc etc put me off ... however I'll read Total Film's review, and listen to what Mark Kermode has to say, but other than that, it'll just be you HPOTD folks. I can't stand these nob'eds who make themselves feel better about their shitty little lives by spoiling a movie/tv show for other people ... or they're just so beligerant or ignorant that they just blunder through life never stopping to think before they open their greasy, fat maws, or lay clammy, chubby fingers to their iffy-smelling keyboard ... ... cock-ends, the lot of them. :rant:

bassman
20-Jul-2012, 08:04 AM
Just to state it up front: NO SPOILERS BELOW

I've just returned from an extraordinary night at the theater watching the entire Chris Nolan Batman Trilogy. Where to begin?

First of all....if you're just a casual fan of these movies, I suggest watching the first two before viewing the third. While the second film(TDK) could possibly be viewed as a stand alone film, TDKR is most certainly a continuation of those that came before it.

To be completely honest, i'm left with a bit of a stale taste in my mouth. TDKR is certainly not your usual summer blockbuster, but I also didn't seem to connect with it like I did the previous two. With breath taking visuals and a story that still pulled me in, I just can't completely praise it - Yet. I feel like maybe more viewings can improve on this. Throughout the film I was often thinking, "that isn't needed", "that could be cut", "why?", etc. If you're familiar with the previous films, then you pretty much know what you're getting into. Nolan doesn't disapoint, but I think he probably had a few missteps along the way(as is to be expected with most films of this nature).

As it's late and i'm pretty tired, I'll leave this mini review with a few random thoughts:

- Bane's voice is NOT as I've heard. It seems much louder than before. To the point that it seems out of place with other on-screen dialogue.
- Bale probably gives his best performance of the series. Where TDK felt more about the villains to some, this definitely feels like a Wayne/Batman story.
- Nolan has improved on his fighting tenfold. These fights are easily visible and EXTREMELY brutal. As you may have read in reviews, the fights between Bane and Batman are almost worthy of Fight Club. I actually cringed once or twice.
- Hathaway's Catwoman(never once referred to as that in the film) is amazing. I can say with confidence that the character has finally been given justice on-screen.
- Hardy's Bane is the same as above. He's just as intelligent as he is brutal. Without being able to emote with his mouth, what this man does with his eyes and manerisms is amazing. My only complaint being his megaphone voice, which is probably a product of post production.
- The supporting roles, as expected, are also great. Particularly from Michael Caine.
- RISE is of course a major theme in this film. Relating back to Thomas Wayne's "Why do we fall, Bruce?" and also in many other areas.
- As I did with The Tumbler and The Batpod, I want The Bat. As Gordon would say, "I gotta get me one of those!"
- There is a certain twist to this movie, but most fans of the source material will see it coming from a mile away.
- I can safely say that Nolan is the first to create a great superhero trilogy from start to finish. Not only that, but he made them all parts of a series that nicely tie into one complete story.
- The ending left me in tears in more ways than one. This isn't a spoiler and it will be completely different for every viewer.

That's it for now. More thoughts as I digest it a bit more. This one will definitely deserve more viewings in theater.

Neil
20-Jul-2012, 08:43 AM
Seeing it next Tue!

-- -------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Rotten Tomatoes shuts down 'Batman' comments after death threats (http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-rotten-tomatoes-shuts-down-batman-comments-after-death-threats-20120718,0,2005167.story)

Enjoy the viewing today, I'll probably not get around to seeing it till next weekend.

As if backing up my comments in #167!

bassman
20-Jul-2012, 08:45 AM
Oh man.....If this doesn't put a damper on TDKR's release, I don't know what does: Up to 20 people injured after a bombing/shooting at a TDKR screening in Colorado (http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/20/12850048-at-least-20-hurt-after-shooting-during-dark-knight-screening-at-colorado-movie-theater)

rgc2005
20-Jul-2012, 10:38 AM
Hathaway was awesome. Only people who hate her specifically could fault the way her character could switch gears on a dime. Comic fans will never be happy since no female on this planet could fill out the cleavage of the comic character's costume while pulling off the athletics in any believable way.

bassman
20-Jul-2012, 10:49 AM
Hathaway was awesome. Only people who hate her specifically could fault the way her character could switch gears on a dime.

That's the real character, though.

Comic fans will never be happy since no female on this planet could fill out the cleavage of the comic character's costume while pulling off the athletics in any believable way.

Not all comic versions of the character include that cleavage. As a comic fan, I was very pleased with her. Not only her sex appeal, but her portrayal. Hathaway has definite sex appeal, but without the more obvious reasons. She shows it through her voice and body language. Not that he figure hurts it at all. :p

AcesandEights
20-Jul-2012, 01:25 PM
Excellent spoiler-free review, Bass! Just what I needed to go from just anticipating to psyched for the film.

And yeah, horrible, HORRIBLE event in Colorado.

MinionZombie
21-Jul-2012, 11:41 AM
Mark Kermode's spoiler-free review:

58FU_yQYqhc&feature=g-u-u

ProfessorChaos
21-Jul-2012, 02:00 PM
saw this last night with the ladyfriend and her nephew. my expectations were kept in check, but i couldn't help get my hopes up as the lights dimmed that this film would deliver the goods....and i wasn't disappointed. i felt it was a perfect ending to the nolan bat-trilogy, and i left the theater feeling very satisfied, something that doesn't happen all that often when i watch movies these days.

the gf and i both agreed that we can't wait to see it again, probably while it's still in theaters. i will definitely be adding this one to the blu-ray collection.

i'd advise folks to re-watch batman begins and the dark knight as a refresher on the story thus far, but whatever you do, don't miss this one.

bassman
21-Jul-2012, 02:43 PM
The only thing I didn't like about the ending was....

The lady telling Blake that he should use his full name because 'Robin' is pretty. That felt entirely forced and out of place to me.

However, I like that this particular story ended yet left it open to continue. With a bit of luck, maybe Nolan will return years down the line and gives us The Dark Knight Returns? I doubt it, but it's still fun to think about.

krisvds
22-Jul-2012, 06:41 AM
Man I'm so looking forward to this but will have to wait another three day before it gets released over here. GRRRRRRR; Avoiding spoilers like the plague.
I don't expect TDK all over again but a fitting end to the trilogy would be nice and from what I hear Nolan pulled it off.
That would make it the first superhero-series to actually get it right: the superman series went to hell after the second one, Spidey the same, Burton only did two Batman films, not a fan of the recent marvel videogame action fests ...

Fingers hurting from keeping 'em crossed!

rongravy
22-Jul-2012, 10:52 AM
I seened it. Although I'm sure it'll have a hefty pull for all the weekend, I think it'll fall far short of its predecessor. I actually believe Spiderman was wayyyyyy better. I'll go into details once everybody and their grandma has seen it but I'll just say I had a hard time staying awake. That is after I got tired of wondering where Batman was...
I get what they were trying to do, yes, but you gotta break out the BAT a little more than they did.
I will definitely see it again once it hits the cheapies, but I'm saddened that Spiderman will take a hit for releasing first. This was no better than the last one.
Maybe I just need another viewing...

MinionZombie
23-Jul-2012, 09:10 AM
Saw it yesterday afternoon, and promptly fangasm'd all over the shop...

MZ's SPOILER-FREE review of The Dark Knight Rises (http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/the-dark-knight-rises-spoiler-free.html)

slickwilly13
25-Jul-2012, 12:37 AM
Does Batman growl in this movie?

bassman
25-Jul-2012, 02:26 AM
Does Batman growl in this movie?

Of course, it's a continuation of the same story. But it's not as heavy as it was in the second film, imo.

Neil
25-Jul-2012, 09:19 AM
Saw it last night. Left feeling I'd seen a good quality 'Batman' flick! Personally it didn't seem as 'tight' in production or script as its predecessors IMHO, but still loved it.

What seemed to let it down for me was the script felt a bit messy at times, and also just a bit daft/contrived, of which I'll give some examples of below in the spoiler section. But overall, a great end to the trilogy and sits with them nicely. Bane was excellent!

So for me:-
Batman Begins: 9/10
The Dark Knight: 9/10
Dark Knight Rises: 8/10

Oh, and as regards people comparing The Avengers to The Dark Knight Rises? I'd have to go with the latter, as for me there never seemed any concern or true menace in The Avengers; Ultimately you never real felt like any of the Avengers were in real trouble and were practically immortal. This clearly wasn't the case in Batman, with people certainly feeling vulnerable and generally more 'real'.

*SPOILER COMMENTS/QUESTIONS*
- Does Bruce need a walking stick or not? One minute he's falling over without it, the next he's running around fine?
- His relationship with Miranda felt badly written. "Miranda's nice"... "Miranda's lovely" he's told... Then he finally meets her, and next moment they're kissing, doing the dirty and discussing running away togethor. Hmmm... Felt like a contrived element of the script.
- All the weapons in Bruce's weapons department fall into Bane's hands... and... he uses three batmobiles?
- A bus load of orphans under threat? For goodness sake Hollywood, been there, done that a zillion times! Cliche!
- Gotham's been cut off for three months, and under the control of armed gangs, but all seems otherwise pretty fine on the streets of Gotham? Garbage is still being collected, by the looks of it, and these armed gangs are happy to leave everyone alone except for picking some people to go and walk on ice? Really?
- 3000 police officers trapped underground? Why? Why not just kill them? Why leave them there only to escape?
- 3000 police officers come out from underground after 3-4months, all clean shaven and looking well manicured?
- 3000 police officers run at individuals armed to the teeth, and only 5 get shot? Surely it would be a blood bath in the front rows. Apparently not?
- Can someone explain what they're looking at to deduce the autopilot was available on the Bat?

And now the biggy for me:-
- So they want to destroy Gotham... So why not do that? They have a bomb? Why wait 3-4 months? Just press the damn button! Or would that make the film too short?

Anyway, these are minor niggles in the scheme of things... They just seemed to 'wobble' the film for me.

MinionZombie
25-Jul-2012, 10:15 AM
Glad you dug it Neil ... to be honest I was expecting you to come in all "oh dears" blazing, but anyway - I'll have a run-down of some of the points you made in your post...

- Does Bruce need a walking stick or not? One minute he's falling over without it, the next he's running around fine?

It's not that fast a transition. Plus, we see him get that leg brace thing which allows him to walk again - a legitimate querie would be when he was in the prison and didn't have the leg brace, from what I can remember - then his leg was fine without support.

- His relationship with Miranda felt badly written. "Miranda's nice"... "Miranda's lovely" he's told... Then he finally meets her, and next moment they're kissing, doing the dirty and discussing running away togethor. Hmmm... Felt like a contrived element of the script.

Rushed, perhaps, I did feel that Tate was somewhat given short shrift in the script, but an element could also be that it was a passionate thing - Bruce Wayne has taken a right old knocking. He's lost Alfred, he's lost Wayne Enterprises, and he's looking back over other losses at that moment - namely Rachel - and she initiates the kiss as I remember, and clearly it's part of her plan to weaken him into trusting her to take over Wayne Enterprises, and therefore gain access to the Fusion Reactor.

- All the weapons in Bruce's weapons department fall into Bane's hands... and... he uses three batmobiles?

True to an extent, but I didn't really notice 'not enough weapons being used' personally. I'd imagine they also half-inched various types of armour and machine guns and such things. However, the Tumbler is the most iconic of all the things there, so it's the broadest stroke with which to get across the point ... if that makes sense?

- A bus load of orphans under threat? For goodness sake Hollywood, been there, done that a zillion times! Cliche!

Perhaps, but it's also connected to the story. Bruce Wayne is an orphan, John Blake is an orphan, and the latter remains connected to that charity as he grew up there, and doesn't like to see the 16+ year olds get kicked out and end up in the sewers. So naturally he's going to try and save the orphans there in the lead-up to the bomb going off, which he fails at, but fortunately that doesn't end in disaster for him ... then, with BW gone, his now rebuilt home becomes a new orphan shelter, which ties full circle with Bruce Wayne as the Billionaire Orphan, and was a nice way to tie up the Wayne Manor thread. Now - speaking of John Blake, how Blake knew Wayne was Batman never really convinced me - the whole 'you had the anger of an orphan' thing never really worked out. I was initially expecting him to say he was the little kid with the rowing parents in Batman Begins who sees Batman on the fire escape, and then Batman tosses him that gadget and flies off ... but no, the explanation given there didn't convince me at the time, but again, not a show stopper by any means, like all of these minor quibbles.

- Gotham's been cut off for three months, and under the control of armed gangs, but all seems otherwise pretty fine on the streets of Gotham? Garbage is still being collected, by the looks of it, and these armed gangs are happy to leave everyone alone except for picking some people to go and walk on ice? Really?

It's a terrorist occupation, and public services can still operate while under occupation. Paris didn't become a crumbling open sewer when the Nazi's occupied it. As for those getting "Exile or Death by Exile", they're clearly public figures, rich folks, and perceived 'enemies of the state' as judged by this terrorist regime as part of their house cleaning. You see the rich getting torn from their homes, and at one point you see the waste-ridden former homes of the rich, and Selina Kyle (with her blonde tag-along) in one of them. Blondie is totally into it, but Selina Kyle recognises that this was the home of a family when she looks at the shattered picture. There's clearly areas of waste around, and desperation, even though they're getting aid drops by the government IIRC ... clearly it's dangerous to be out on the streets, but not against the new law.

- 3000 police officers trapped underground? Why? Why not just kill them? Why leave them there only to escape?

I believe that was explained by Bane. They were giving them aid, but keeping them there. Part of a public relations exercise - in Bane's twisted way - he's not going to kill a few thousand cops and expect to win over Gotham's hearts and minds, even though he is dangling a bomb over their heads (while keeping secret that it'll go off anyway in a few weeks/months). This issue was addressed in the movie.

- 3000 police officers come out from underground after 3-4months, all clean shaven and looking well manicured?

A legitimate quibble - I thought the same thing. They looked a bit dusty, but it wasn't exactly the Chilean Miners, was it? Even their uniforms weren't that mucky.

- 3000 police officers run at individuals armed to the teeth, and only 5 get shot? Surely it would be a blood bath in the front rows. Apparently not?

More than five got shot. :rolleyes::p

- Can someone explain what they're looking at to deduce the autopilot was available on the Bat?

Summut to do with computers, innit.

- So they want to destroy Gotham... So why not do that? They have a bomb? Why wait 3-4 months? Just press the damn button! Or would that make the film too short?

Again, IIRC, this was dealed with in the movie - it's all about breaking Gotham's spirit and pulling them right down to the very ground before wasting the whole place. It's about making them suffer, and making a big show of it to the rest of the nation/world. Make them suffer and struggle before pushing the button. Plus, Bane doesn't just shoot Bruce Wayne in the prison, he leaves him there to let him watch Gotham crumble under Bane's might to break his spirit and make him suffer too - but naturally, that part of Bane's plan doesn't work out.

Neil
25-Jul-2012, 10:39 AM
Yes... I did enjoy it... But I did feel there was a better film in there trying to get out!

It's not that fast a transition. Plus, we see him get that leg brace thing which allows him to walk again - a legitimate querie would be when he was in the prison and didn't have the leg brace, from what I can remember - then his leg was fine without support.

Yes - The prison seemed to knock this issue home for me. Knee(s) all fine now!

True to an extent, but I didn't really notice 'not enough weapons being used' personally. I'd imagine they also half-inched various types of armour and machine guns and such things. However, the Tumbler is the most iconic of all the things there, so it's the broadest stroke with which to get across the point ... if that makes sense?

Guess so, but they made such an effort to get in there, and then seemingly only used one thing to their advantage?

More than five got shot. :rolleyes::p

Not really... Nothing that really gave the impression of a crowd of people running onto dozens of individuals with automatic weapons etc...

Summut to do with computers, innit.

LOL! We're back into Jurassic park, "It's a UNIX system" territory :)

Again, IIRC, this was dealed with in the movie - it's all about breaking Gotham's spirit and pulling them right down to the very ground before wasting the whole place. It's about making them suffer, and making a big show of it to the rest of the nation/world. Make them suffer and struggle before pushing the button. Plus, Bane doesn't just shoot Bruce Wayne in the prison, he leaves him there to let him watch Gotham crumble under Bane's might to break his spirit and make him suffer too - but naturally, that part of Bane's plan doesn't work out.

OK... I can sort of buy this. Maybe I'll pick up on this more with a second viewing...

ps: The audio seemed a little off to me at times? In a couple of places audio/dialog seemed very quiet!?

MinionZombie
25-Jul-2012, 12:09 PM
Regarding the computers situation:

I'd assume that they were assessing the on-board computer, and they made specific mention of a "patch" that fixed the Auto-Pilot system, as applied by Bruce Wayne. So it'd just be a straight-forward on-board computer.

In terms of audio - at times I did think the soundtrack (as awesome as it was/is) was a bit overbearing. I can imagine my Dad having a few problems at certain points in the movie trying to decipher/hear moments of dialogue (that I'm fine for hearing, but can see as being problematic for older ears). Bane's voice however, wasn't too big of a problem - sometimes I had no idea what he was saying (as if I was listening to the words from a point that wasn't quite at the start of the sentence, so you're not quite sure what you're hearing, if that makes sense?) - but I was glad to see that major speeches to do with the plot were clear.

I'd have to say Tom Hardy did a bang-up job as Bane, and his choice of vocal performance was really memorable.

bassman
25-Jul-2012, 12:24 PM
I never had an issue with the soundtrack/dialogue being too low. My only complaint in those departments was that Bane's voice was TOO LOUD. Non-masked characters would sound normal, then Bane would start speaking and it sounded like he was on a loud speaker!

MinionZombie
25-Jul-2012, 12:48 PM
Maybe he's got a loud speaker in his muzzle? :p

Neil
25-Jul-2012, 01:04 PM
Regarding the computers situation:

I'd assume that they were assessing the on-board computer, and they made specific mention of a "patch" that fixed the Auto-Pilot system, as applied by Bruce Wayne. So it'd just be a straight-forward on-board computer.

But the onboard computer was nuked... literally... So I wasn't quite sure what they were looking at?

shootemindehead
25-Jul-2012, 01:08 PM
sometimes I had no idea what he was saying (as if I was listening to the words from a point that wasn't quite at the start of the sentence, so you're not quite sure what you're hearing, if that makes sense?)

Absolutely. I have that same problem with the wife.

On a serious note, there seems to be a lot of complaints about the incoherence of Bane's voice in this film.

-- -------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

I never had an issue with the soundtrack/dialogue being too low. My only complaint in those departments was that Bane's voice was TOO LOUD. Non-masked characters would sound normal, then Bane would start speaking and it sounded like he was on a loud speaker!

His goes up to 11.

rgc2005
25-Jul-2012, 01:16 PM
But the onboard computer was nuked... literally... So I wasn't quite sure what they were looking at?

There were two bats in the hanger/armory at the beginning. Fox had maintenance crews doing diagnostics and repairs on the recovered systems.

Neil
25-Jul-2012, 02:06 PM
There were two bats in the hanger/armory at the beginning. Fox had maintenance crews doing diagnostics and repairs on the recovered systems.

What's that got to do with the nuked Bat?

MinionZombie
25-Jul-2012, 02:13 PM
Neil ... Lucius Fox wants to know how he could have fixed the auto-pilot problem on the left over "Bat", and as the engineers discover to Fox's surprise, the auto-pilot was fixed months prior by Bruce Wayne, and clearly Bruce Wayne applied the update to both Bats. Simples.

bassman
25-Jul-2012, 03:53 PM
About events leading to the ending....

Did any of you guys see it coming that Bane was not Ra's child that escaped from the prison? As a fan of the comics, I knew Ra's child is Talia(didn't he also say he had a DAUGHTER in Begins?), but after seeing the film a second time last night it also seems very obvious throughout the film even for non-comic fans. There are multiple scenes that point to Bane not being the child that escaped. For example, we see the child leave the prison without any wounds even though they tell Bruce that Bane was severely injured while still inside the prison. Also, we clearly see a grown man( Bane, pre-mask) help the child rise to the platform in order to begin the climb, then he's attacked and beaten by the other prisoners.

Also, not that I had any question about it, did any of you think that Alfred seeing Bruce at the end was some sort of hallucination? I've been reading across the net that some people believe Batman/Bruce actually died in the explosion and Alfred was just dreaming about seeing him at the cafe?!? Apparently they missed all the stuff about the bat signal being fixed, the auto pilot being fixed, the coordinates for Blake(excuse me...."Robin":rolleyes:), etc.

Neil
25-Jul-2012, 04:01 PM
About events leading to the ending....

Did any of you guys see it coming that Bane was not Ra's child that escaped from the prison? As a fan of the comics, I knew Ra's child is Talia(didn't he also say he had a DAUGHTER in Begins?), but after seeing the film a second time last night it also seems very obvious throughout the film even for non-comic fans. There are multiple scenes that point to Bane not being the child that escaped. For example, we see the child leave the prison without any wounds even though they tell Bruce that Bane was severely injured while still inside the prison. Also, we clearly see a grown man( Bane, pre-mask) help the child rise to the platform in order to begin the climb, then he's attacked and beaten by the other prisoners.

Also, not that I had any question about it, did any of you think that Alfred seeing Bruce at the end was some sort of hallucination? I've been reading across the net that some people believe Batman/Bruce actually died in the explosion and Alfred was just dreaming about seeing him at the cafe?!? Apparently they missed all the stuff about the bat signal being fixed, the auto pilot being fixed, the coordinates for Blake(excuse me...."Robin":rolleyes:), etc.

Ummm...

Didn't see Bane not being the child, but did see Miranda not being a goody a mile off at the end...

As for the end not be real, why show Fox finding out autopilot was available? Unless this was to show Bruce basically committed suicide?

rgc2005
25-Jul-2012, 04:32 PM
To leave wiggle room for a 4th film. In today's market there is no way WB/DC would ever allow Batman to commit suicide.

MinionZombie
25-Jul-2012, 04:35 PM
My thoughts on what's being said...

Never considered Alfred seeing Bruce at that cafe as a dream/hallucination - I take it straight up, especially with the things Neil notes happening in the final minutes of the movie - and it's a happy ending. Wayne has gone through hell more than once, and now he can have a happy life (and with Selina Kyle apparntly, not that I noticed it was her sitting with him, as I was focussing on Bale in that particular shot). It's good to have a happy ending for Bruce Wayne at the climax of this trilogy, as he's certainly been through the ringer, and the movies have been so dark and brooding and tragic at times.

As for Miranda/Talia - I knew she was Talia months beforehand, because shots of her leaked and everyone said that's who she was. Then when watching the movie I was tricked into thinking that perhaps it was some ruse, and was tricked into believing it was Bane who was the child, and I was wondering if I'd imagined reading that Cotillard was Talia - but then it all came out. A very touching scene, although something I didn't quite buy was Bane/Tom Hardy being old enough to be say 20 or thereabouts when Talia was a child ... Cotillard is 36 and Hardy is 34 ... so it was a good thing we didn't see Bane's face at the end as he'd definitely look too young. I do wonder why they didn't cast someone younger as Talia. Cotillard isn't some dried up old hag, not by any means, but she looks mid-thirties, whereas Hardy can play younger by several years quite easily in other roles.

So anyway - the whole Miranda/Talia/Bane thing wasn't clear-cut for me for the above reasons, as well as there simply being so much going on in the movie. It's a densely packed flick, just like TDK, and so it'll reward me with more info and missed pieces of info with further viewings.

Referring back to an earlier comment (by Neil IIRC) regarding The Avengers/TDKR, I do agree that there wasn't much sense of jeopardy in The Avengers. It was very much a comic book movie, but a really enjoyable one, whereas TDKR is based more in a gritty real-world place where there genuinely is a sense of tragedy and menace and danger. At numerous points I was clenching my hands together fearing one character or another was about to be killed off - such as Commissioner Gordon at more than one point, and at times, because they put up enough road blocks in stopping the bomb, I was thinking to myself "are they going to nuke Gotham?!" ... no deaths that matched the shock of Rachel getting blown up mid-sentence, but it wasn't without blood. Modine's character for instance, or the guy with the eyes who was Richard Alpert on Lost who got blown up at the stadium ... I forget the character name and his position in the city, but aye...

bassman
25-Jul-2012, 04:40 PM
He's the mayor. In a funny twist, he played Batmanuel on the live action The Tick series:

http://www.thetick.ws/images/Batmanuel%202.jpg

wayzim
25-Jul-2012, 06:15 PM
Just saw it, Loved it! How very Frank Milleresque of Nolans to continually sample the original Dark Knight Returns graphic novel throughout the trilogy - and while someone groused just a little about Rises being episodic ( i.e. many blackouts and cuts ), I think it actually helps the story because it gave the audience pause to better consider what just happened before and what might happen next - just a thought.

And throughout, I kept being taken back to what Bruce's father asked in the first film "Why do we fall? " so it was nice to see that question taken to the extreme ( no spoilers here )

The only sour note to this really fun time at the cinema was a glimpse at Zack Snyder's upcoming 'Man of Steel. ' which looks like a re-imagining gone terribly wrong ( why does Supes look like Wolverine for most of the trailer? This isn't the 'Death of Superman. ' by any chance, is it? )

But Dark Knight was great, and Ms. Hathaway was the next best thing for Cat Woman to Eartha Kitt purring her way through the Batman TV series.

Way Zim

paranoid101
25-Jul-2012, 09:57 PM
Just watched the film very enjoyable, did get me thinking thought that if it was set in the same universe as the Justice League that any one of them could have sorted it all out much quicker with there powers, well maybe not Aquaman.

bassman
26-Jul-2012, 04:03 PM
A couple things I found interesting and thought I would share....

This is Nolan's final goodbye to Batman. It's included in the book, "The Art and Making of The Dark Knight Trilogy"

Alfred. Gordon. Lucius. Bruce . . . Wayne. Names that have come to mean so much to me. Today, I’m three weeks from saying a final good-bye to these characters and their world. It’s my son’s ninth birthday. He was born as the Tumbler was being glued together in my garage from random parts of model kits. Much time, many changes. A shift from sets where some gunplay or a helicopter were extraordinary events to working days where crowds of extras, building demolitions, or mayhem thousands of feet in the air have become familiar.

People ask if we’d always planned a trilogy. This is like being asked whether you had planned on growing up, getting married, having kids. The answer is complicated. When David and I first started cracking open Bruce’s story, we flirted with what might come after, then backed away, not wanting to look too deep into the future. I didn’t want to know everything that Bruce couldn’t; I wanted to live it with him. I told David and Jonah to put everything they knew into each film as we made it. The entire cast and crew put all they had into the first film. Nothing held back. Nothing saved for next time. They built an entire city. Then Christian and Michael and Gary and Morgan and Liam and Cillian started living in it. Christian bit off a big chunk of Bruce Wayne’s life and made it utterly compelling. He took us into a pop icon’s mind and never let us notice for an instant the fanciful nature of Bruce’s methods.

I never thought we’d do a second—how many good sequels are there? Why roll those dice? But once I knew where it would take Bruce, and when I started to see glimpses of the antagonist, it became essential. We re-assembled the team and went back to Gotham. It had changed in three years. Bigger. More real. More modern. And a new force of chaos was coming to the fore. The ultimate scary clown, as brought to terrifying life by Heath. We’d held nothing back, but there were things we hadn’t been able to do the first time out—a Batsuit with a flexible neck, shooting on Imax. And things we’d chickened out on—destroying the Batmobile, burning up the villain’s blood money to show a complete disregard for conventional motivation. We took the supposed security of a sequel as license to throw caution to the wind and headed for the darkest corners of Gotham.

I never thought we’d do a third—are there any great second sequels? But I kept wondering about the end of Bruce’s journey, and once David and I discovered it, I had to see it for myself. We had come back to what we had barely dared whisper about in those first days in my garage. We had been making a trilogy. I called everyone back together for another tour of Gotham. Four years later, it was still there. It even seemed a little cleaner, a little more polished. Wayne Manor had been rebuilt. Familiar faces were back—a little older, a little wiser . . . but not all was as it seemed.

Gotham was rotting away at its foundations. A new evil bubbling up from beneath. Bruce had thought Batman was not needed anymore, but Bruce was wrong, just as I had been wrong. The Batman had to come back. I suppose he always will.

Michael, Morgan, Gary, Cillian, Liam, Heath, Christian . . . Bale. Names that have come to mean so much to me. My time in Gotham, looking after one of the greatest and most enduring figures in pop culture, has been the most challenging and rewarding experience a filmmaker could hope for. I will miss the Batman. I like to think that he’ll miss me, but he’s never been particularly sentimental.

Kinda bittersweet. I'm just as sad as Nolan to know that he's done, but he's given the best Batman film adaptation of all time, imo. Also the best superhero trilogy of all time.

And this is how much money it would theoretically cost to be Batman. I put it in spoiler tags just because it's a large image....

http://cdn1.superherohype.com/images/stories/2012/July/batman-720_1.jpg

Good thing Wayne was a billionaire...

krisvds
28-Jul-2012, 06:52 AM
Finally saw it last night ...

Hurray! Loved it. Nolan did the impossible: he and his team managed to make three superhero films in a row that are actually good enough to cross over to people who normally wouldn't be interested n this kind of geekey genre fiction (my wife for instance)

All the The Dark Knight Returns referencing for the true fans doesn't hurt either.

Things I loved:

Catwoman's portrayal (let alone that outfit when she's riding the bike ;) is spot on.
He managed to include Robin in a believable way; Throughout the film i was thinking 'why didn't he name this character Robin'? lol
Escaping the prison bit was gloriously over the top
Scarecrow as the crazy judge sitting on top of that pile of desks = brilliant
Great performance once again from Gary Oldman who basically IS commissioner Gordon.
Same for the rest of the cast really; especially Michael Caine
The finale set in occuppied Gotham: well earned spectacle
The pacing; Loved the fact they are basically kepping the batman off screen for as long as they do: ballsy move in this day and age. It makes the moments when we do see him in action all the more spectacular

The guy who will be in charge of the enivitable reboot has his work cut out for him! Big shoes to fill.

(PS: Did any of you read that Harry Knowles review over at AICN? What a joke.)

bassman
28-Jul-2012, 10:23 AM
Scarecrow as the crazy judge sitting on top of that pile of desks = brilliant

With almost every other past "freak" villain appearing in Rises, I couldn't help but wonder how Nolan would have worked the Joker into the film had Heath Ledger been alive. It would have been tricky because the character wouldn't just go along with Bane's plan without getting his own piece of the action, but it could have been something special. Could he have been the judge?....

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmzYKCl1Q78defxO6P8iJ8c6dZ9ZD4U RAQPxAf5AVAp84U6k2azkUB1p2e

It's kinda sad because the Joker is always supposed to be there to annoy the Batman and they were "destined to do this forever...". It seems kinda strange that there's no mention of him at all, but I understand why Nolan decided to go that way.

Knowles and the entire AICN site is a complete joke. How that asshat has become so popular is beyond me. Must be a sympathy thing...

BTW, I've just seen that in only seven days of release, TDKR has already eclipsed the amount made by Begins in it's entire theatrical run. While Begins is the better of the two films, i'm glad to see the series grew so much over the course of the trilogy.

krisvds
31-Jul-2012, 06:14 AM
The official novelization offers this: (as found on CHUD)

http://www.chud.com/102011/where-was-the-joker-during-the-dark-knight-rises/

shootemindehead
31-Jul-2012, 05:28 PM

Who the hell cares what that fat lump of shit thinks.

Neil
31-Jul-2012, 06:37 PM
Who the hell cares what that fat lump of shit thinks.

I wish you'd stop making just vague comments and just get to the point!

I think Harry's review had some valid points, but for some reason he came across incredibly unfairly about what was a more than adequate film!

shootemindehead
01-Aug-2012, 01:19 AM
I tend to dislke his approach in general. Not a fan, in other words.

He's entirely entitled to his view on 'The Dark Knight Rises', of course. I tend to agree with "boiler" anyway... :p

As a matter of interest, what did you agree with in his review?

bassman
01-Aug-2012, 12:29 PM
Here's a video proving that they definitely re-dubbed Bane's voice after the prologue was released last December.

Of course don't watch this if you haven't seen the film!

dZW5qyc2g6U

This is one of the biggest things that bothered me while watching the movie. IMO, they should have left it with the original on-screen dialogue. Some of Bane's dialogue in the film was just as unintentionally funny as Talia's hilarious cartoon-like death

AcesandEights
01-Aug-2012, 01:37 PM
Haven't read any of this thread yet, finally getting to see this tonight :D

MinionZombie
01-Aug-2012, 05:17 PM
Glad they re-dubbed it - the original audio is barely intelligible! :eek:

shootemindehead
01-Aug-2012, 06:29 PM
Agreed.

I was a bit "oh er..." before I saw the film. But, once the show was on, I was fine. In fact I sorta liked Banes weird way of talking.

AcesandEights
02-Aug-2012, 03:20 AM
I am.

Gotham's.

Subwoofer.

Neil
02-Aug-2012, 08:33 AM
Here's a video proving that they definitely re-dubbed Bane's voice after the prologue was released last December.

Of course don't watch this if you haven't seen the film!

dZW5qyc2g6U

This is one of the biggest things that bothered me while watching the movie. IMO, they should have left it with the original on-screen dialogue. Some of Bane's dialogue in the film was just as unintentionally funny as Talia's hilarious cartoon-like death

The original dialogue seemed so bad I think they had to redub it IMHO.

MinionZombie
02-Aug-2012, 09:40 AM
Agreed.

I was a bit "oh er..." before I saw the film. But, once the show was on, I was fine. In fact I sorta liked Banes weird way of talking.

It's ideal for immitation too. It's such a strange and weird sounding voice that it's chilling, but also fun.

This reminds me, just before the movie started, my mate said that one of our other mates (who couldn't make that screening we were at) said he thought the line was "Gotham's Rectum'ing", so when that line came up in the movie (re-dubbed of course), I couldn't help but chuckle.

krisvds
02-Aug-2012, 09:51 AM
It's ideal for immitation too. It's such a strange and weird sounding voice that it's chilling, but also fun.

It's a bit Gandalf + Sean Connery + Darth Vader isn't it?
His public speeches in the film are (dark ) comedy gold.

MinionZombie
02-Aug-2012, 10:27 AM
It's a bit Gandalf + Sean Connery + Darth Vader isn't it?
His public speeches in the film are (dark ) comedy gold.

hehe, spot on Sir. :)

shootemindehead
02-Aug-2012, 11:47 AM

I know. I've been saying "I am Gotham's reckoning" all week in my best Bane voice.

My wife thinks I'm an idiot.

Neil
02-Aug-2012, 01:03 PM
I've been saying "I am Gotham's reckoning" all week in my best Bane voice.

My wife thinks I'm an idiot.

Are the two things connected? :)

shootemindehead
02-Aug-2012, 01:16 PM
:D

Not entirely, it's just the latest reason. :(

AcesandEights
02-Aug-2012, 01:56 PM
Didn't post last night after having finally viewed the film, as I needed time to ruminate. At least the film, which had me somewhat conflicted, managed to make enough of an impression to have me trying to figure out how I really felt about it.

First off, the acting was pretty above board and ranged from decent to really well done:

Gordon-Levitt's Blake, was, I felt, one of the better written and acted parts of the film. He sold the emotional impact of the Dark Knight on Gotham and, along with Caine, managed to give some sorely needed emotional underpinnings to the film, while adding a nice moral touchstone. A lot of characters added to serve such a purpose in films come off as perfunctory, when they are supposed to be likable and engaging, but this guy sold it for me.

Caine was solid, as usual in the Batman films, blurring the line between the poignant and schmaltzy, but as the emotional sounding board of the franchise, that was probably unavoidable. There were a couple times where I thought it was a bit much, but he did generally a very good job with what he was given.

Hardy, I really like, and he sold the character on his physical acting. The pacing of the lines were delivered well, but the voice modulation was hit or miss for me. At times the voice was annoying, at times awesome and at other times incomprehensible/unintelligible. The problems I had following some of the character's lines could have stemmed from the theaters speakers, but all the other sound seemed fine. In the end, I sometimes felt gypped, because Hardy's natural, unaltered speaking voice kicks shedloads of ass.

Hathaway was passable and sexy. I'd say more, but I don't know that she merits it, except to say that she definitely felt, to me, that she fit Nolan's vision and his world, and that's not bad.

Oldamn, solid as always, but something seemed old hat with the character.

Freeman, what you'd expect...he served a narrowly focused purpose in the film and did it well enough.

Marion Cotillard...oh, how I've crushed on her hard since Inception. She did well in the movie, and sold her role, for what little time we really got to see any substance from the character (a bit of a disappointment in such a bloated film).

Cillian Murphy...perfect! Not so much because of his talent, which didn't have any major chance to shine, but just to include him yet again.

Bale, did a tolerable job on selling the character, as always, though that ever-changing cancer voice of Batman grated on me more than it did in either of the previous films. Perhaps because there was just too much modulation in the film, already. I can't help but feel Bale lost a step somewhere, but I don't know if it was in his delivery or the way the character was written.

So, the film was epic, in many respects, but there was some flatness to it at times and it definitely felt long and bloated with some uninspired fight scenes (especially between Bane and Batman) whose choreography needed a tune up. Overall, a very well conceived film, with some questionable execution and structure (for me), it nonetheless had a great (I dare say powerful) ending and tied things up nicely.

bassman
02-Aug-2012, 02:19 PM
I believe this is the first time i've heard anyone complaining about the fights. I thought the fights in this film were leaps and bounds ahead of BB and TDK. Nolan seemed to improve over the course of the three films, imo. BB was chop cuts and extreme close ups, TDK was more wide but generally too fast, and TDKR seemed to strike a perfect combination between the two. Wide shots with visible actions and fewer cuts.

The pure FORCE is the best thing about the fights in TDKR. They did a great job selling Bane as being physically superior to Wayne. A certain "cracking" scene in the sewer and an incredibly fast series of rib shots up against a pillar toward the end of the film made my jaw drop. On one of those I think I accidentally said "HOLY SH*T!" out loud. :lol:

AcesandEights
02-Aug-2012, 02:52 PM
I believe this is the first time i've heard anyone complaining about the fights.

For me it was the Bane v. Batman fights, which overall seemed too much of a slugfest and out of character with what I'd come to expect from a Batman fighting style, that were a letdown.

The major confrontation where both characters were on more equal ground had an overly lit, wide angled, stark aspect to the beginning of it. I did not like Batman out in the middle of the open, popping against a washed out backdrop, street-fighting in a riot...just works counter to the character's visual appeal, for me. This is sort of the polar opposite from some earlier issues in other Batman films I've had (especially the 90s films) where everything is so dark you don't actually see anything. The extreme lighting just screamed "dude in a rubber suit', which hadn't been as much of a problem in the last two films, for me.

ProfessorChaos
23-Aug-2012, 08:29 PM
fLyoog562x4

bassman
23-Aug-2012, 08:46 PM
"Worst. Death. EVER." :lol:

It really, really is....

MinionZombie
24-Aug-2012, 09:43 AM
"Worst. Death. EVER." :lol:

It really, really is....

"Because I'm Batman!" :D

"Walking right into that one, didn't I?" :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

DjfunkmasterG
27-Aug-2012, 10:33 AM
If it does do as much business as TDK, I will stand on a mountain top and scream "Bassman was right, I'm a moron!" but, if it doesn't... where do we go from here, dude? :shifty: :D

Either way, this sounds interesting. I agree with you about Anne Hathaway. Not so sure about her in that particular role, but regardless, I'm sure I'll get suckered into watching this one too. Damn you Nolan!

He seems to have a good grasp on these films though, so perhaps we're in for another pleasant surprise. *fingers crossed*

Ok, so why aren't you screaming... this film made $425,000,000 so far and I ain't heard a peep. Plus, you can't hold it to the same money standard as TDK, No one in the cast died. Plus, you now have to add into the mix some fucking idiot walked into a crowded auditorium and opened fire which of course kept people away from movies for the past couple of weeks.

However, this is on track to surpass TDK when using WW grosses combined. As it is making more money overseas than here in the USA.

.... hmmm, still no sound. :shifty::sneaky:

-- -------- Post added at 06:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 AM ----------

fLyoog562x4

OK, that cheered me up this morning

bassman
04-Sep-2012, 12:45 PM
However, this is on track to surpass TDK when using WW grosses combined. As it is making more money overseas than here in the USA.

Rises surpassed TDK over the Labor Day Weekend. 1.003 billion for TDK and 1.005 billion for Rises. How can that possibly happen without any cast members being dead?!?! :sneaky:

Lou....I'm waiting. :lol:

EvilNed
04-Sep-2012, 01:27 PM
Ever since somebody pointed out that these films are completely humourless I haven't been able to enjoy them as much. Damnit.

MinionZombie
04-Sep-2012, 02:57 PM
Ever since somebody pointed out that these films are completely humourless I haven't been able to enjoy them as much. Damnit.

Completely humourless? I wouldn't agree, there are quips and asides throughout, but Rises definitely has a colder tone because it's a very dark culmination of an arc. I think there's been a decrease in the sort of passing gags that we saw in, for example, the Batmobile chase sequence in Batman Begins, which featured loads of smirky lines and looks ... that stuff was decreased in Rises, for sure, but it wasn't without chuckles. Such as...

Cat Woman pinches Wayne's car, Batman trying to tell Cat Woman how to operate the Batpod, Cat Woman 'doing a Batman' and vanishing when his back is turned, etc ... the first three that spring to mind, but it's good that they didn't try to crowbar in more chuckles just for the sake of it. Completing a three-movie story arc should indeed take the lead.

shootemindehead
04-Sep-2012, 04:01 PM
Why does there have to be humour in it anyway?

Most of the time the "humour" in films is bloody awful/

EvilNed
04-Sep-2012, 10:09 PM
I would agree that the humour in these films is rather awful, as detailed in MZ's spoiler tag. But a film like this, especially part 2 and 3, I feel take themselves a bit too seriously. Especially when it's really just a film about a guy running around in a batsuit. No amount of Nolan's vision is going to change that (unless they remove the batsuit). I think there's a clash between what these film aims too be and what they actually are. They overreach and don't quite get there. Very good films, I love them. But they're never gonna reach that David Lean status, no matter how hard Nolan tries, because it's about a hero in a batsuit. And all that comes with it. The films should either act like it, or drop the more silly parts of the storyline/universe.

Neil
06-Sep-2012, 10:32 AM
Director's cut on the way with 30mins more footage?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58120

Christopher Nolan may well be planning a Director's Cut for the Blu-Ray release. Who their sources are I have no idea, but it actually wouldn't be unprecedented - costume designer Lindy Hemming told GQ recently that there was a whole sequence on Bane's origin that was filmed but not used in the movie. In addition, Nuke The Fridge states that there are new scenes with Ra's Al Ghul (Liam Neeson) that were filmed as well. They state that the total scenes would add another thirty minutes to an already pretty long movie.

MinionZombie
06-Sep-2012, 11:15 AM
Director's cut on the way with 30mins more footage?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58120

I'd definitely be down for that, perhaps it would add some shading to some of the side characters. It was impressive that they were able to juggle so many characters and so many plot points within the theatrical run-time though ... but then again they managed it with The Dark Knight, which was a very densely-packed film. Perhaps having the option of watching either version on the Blu-Ray would be the idea? I'd definitely be down for that! :)

bassman
06-Sep-2012, 12:11 PM
Normally I wouldn't believe it because Nolan has said many times that the theatrical cuts of his films ARE the director's cut, but in this case there's a slight chance it's true. Before TDKR was released Nolan said he had to cut down some scenes that he wanted in because of the size of IMAX reels. He simply couldn't have the scenes in there because the film would actually be too long to work with IMAX projectors...

MinionZombie
06-Sep-2012, 12:21 PM
Normally I wouldn't believe it because Nolan has said many times that the theatrical cuts of his films ARE the director's cut, but in this case there's a slight chance it's true. Before TDKR was released Nolan said he had to cut down some scenes that he wanted in because of the size of IMAX reels. He simply couldn't have the scenes in there because the film would actually be too long to work with IMAX projectors...

Interesting factoid there. Didn't know that, and as you say, it could mean that this might indeed be true. :)

bassman
28-Sep-2012, 03:59 PM
DVD/Blu Ray announced: December 4th. As expected, it's the same as the theatrical cut.

Special Features:

•The Journey of Bruce Wayne
•The Batmobile documentary
•Ending the Knight - an in-depth look featuring about 17 featurettes at how Nolan and his production team made The Dark Knight Rises

"Ending the Knight" sounds like a good length documentary. I was a bit bummed that the previous film's release was lacking in the special features department, but this sounds better.

Also a special edition case:

http://cdn.superherohype.com/images/stories/2012/September/dark-knight-rises-mask_510x383.jpg?1348781414

I was thinking about waiting for the inevitable trilogy box set, but the decent special features and broken cowl make me reconsider. Besides, it could be a year a two before the box set. Likely during the 2013 holidays...

MinionZombie
28-Sep-2012, 04:50 PM
I too was a bit annoyed by the seeming lack of special features on TDK - there were some, but it was a bit scant in general. Batman Begins on the other hand was loaded for its 2-disc treatment. TDKR will certainly be a blu-ray pre-order for me. Hopefully there won't be multiple versions of the blu-ray, as you never know until near the release date what the layout will be - Prometheus for example, fortunately I found out in advance, but if you want the hours of making of documentaries, you have to buy the "Special Edition" (previously named something else) which features the 3D version as well as the 2D. Had to switch my pre-order on that one.

MinionZombie
30-Sep-2012, 12:06 PM
Here's some info on the UK Blu-Ray release:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9603

Special Features:

"THE BATMOBILE" DOCUMENTARY: Witness all five Batmobiles together for the first time in history. Dive deep into every aspect of the most awe-inspiring weapon in Batman's arsenal as you journey through the birth and evolution of this technological marvel and cultural icon.

ENDING THE KNIGHT: A comprehensive look into how Director Christopher Nolan and his production team made "The Dark Knight Rises" the epic conclusion to the Dark Knight legend.

Production
The Prologue: High-Altitude Hijacking
Return to the Batcave
Beneath Gotham
The Bat
Batman vs Bane
Armory Accepted
Gameday Destruction
Demolishing a City Street
The Pit
The Chant
The War on Wall Street
Race to the Reactor

Characters
The Journey of Bruce Wayne
Gotham's Reckoning
A Girls Gotta Eat

Reflections
Shadows & Light in Large Format
The End of A Legend

Trailers
Art Galleries
UltraViolet: Instantly stream and download films to compatible devices

:)

bassman
01-Oct-2012, 12:35 PM
Warner Brothers officially announced the blu ray release. There will also be a "gift set" of all three movies for this holiday season, however.....they also note that an ultimate edition trilogy set will be released in 2013...

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/The-Dark-Knight-Rises_Blu-Trilogy-set.jpg

Also available December 4, just in time for holiday gift-giving, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will release “The Dark Knight Trilogy Limited Edition Giftset,” featuring “Batman Begins,” “The Dark Knight” and “The Dark Knight Rises” all in one collection. Available on Blu-ray or standard definition DVD, “The Dark Knight Trilogy Limited Edition Giftset” will also include a premium book exclusive to the collection, which takes fans deeper into the epic franchise, as well as existing special features. Warner Bros. Home Entertainment also plans to release “The Dark Knight Trilogy Ultimate Collector’s Edition” in 2013.

AcesandEights
01-Oct-2012, 08:55 PM
Honestly, all I need is all 3 movies with as many commentary track options, Nolan interviews and making of featurettes as possible, and I'm good. Should be fun!

rongravy
18-Oct-2012, 04:23 AM
Just rewatched it tonight on the cheap screen. Ehhhhhhhhhhhh...
This time I didn't fall asleep, nor was I in a crabby mood like last time.
Anyhoo, I guess I like it better than the first two. I kind of meant to watch the other two before but never got around to it. Might try to hit them this weekend. It was nice to not be elbow to elbow with a bunch of douchebags, we were mostly alone.
I mentioned the vato from TWD who got the arrow in his ass being there, and my kid told me I'd said the same thing last time. I totally didn't remember anything that happened. All in all decent, with a long slow spot in the middle. Don't remember what I said originally about this movie, and I'm too lazy to search back. I will definitely say I liked it more this go round.

aaron2
28-Oct-2012, 06:51 PM
its interesting to hear the star cast....waiting to see the storyline as it would tell the whole scenerio...batman rises:)

slickwilly13
29-Oct-2012, 01:12 PM
Finally watched it on the shit-cam. Long movie, but enjoyable movie. They did Bane right even without the Venom storyline. His accent and dialogue made me laugh a few times. I finally watched Captain America, Ironman 2, Thor, and The Avengers during the weekend, too. Liked them all.

bassman
29-Nov-2012, 12:04 PM
If for some reason you live under a rock and have yet to see TDKR, this is a warning that the following information regarding future batman films and Justice League has a spoiler regarding the ending of the flick....

Hitfix, which has been quite a reliable source for rumors in the past, is saying that Joseph Gordon Levitt(Officer "Robin" John Blake in TDKR) is almost a lock for the announced Justice League film.

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/exclusive-is-joseph-gordon-levitt-already-set-to-play-batman-in-justice-league

According to sources, Joseph Gordon-Levitt absolutely will be appearing in "Justice League" as the new Batman.

Now here's where things get interesting. The more insistent the drumbeat has become, the more poking around I've been doing, and it's looking like we may see Gordon-Levitt in the suit earlier than that. They're a long way from filming anything "Justice League" related, but they appear to be solidifying deals for Gordon-Levitt and, potentially, at least one other actor from the Nolan films to do… something.

His reps have since denied it all, but that's usually common practice until an official announcement is made. I like Levitt as an actor, but I have a hard time seeing him actually fill the role as Batman. His final scene was only meant(in Nolan's vision) to represent the symbol of batman living on. Nolan has told the Batman story he wanted to tell and I believe him when he says he's done, but I suppose Warner Brothers could always sort of spin off from the ending of TDKR and branch it out into newer, more fantastical stories. That way Nolan's story is completed and WB gets to make a connection to his trilogy that made them billions and billions of dollars.

Zack Snyder has also recently commented that while Man of Steel is a self contained movie and he's not concerned with connections to Justice League, that we could see some traces or hints for future DC entries in his film....

rongravy
29-Nov-2012, 02:05 PM
Levitt was the bomb in Loopers. He looked and acted totally different. Maybe he can pull it off. I'm rooting for him.

AcesandEights
29-Nov-2012, 03:51 PM
Levitt was the bomb in Loopers. He looked and acted totally different. Maybe he can pull it off. I'm rooting for him.

I like the kid a lot and think he's starting to develop some real chops. I'm open minded on it, but I hope he only gets involved if it's going to be quality, which is somewhat less likely if Nolan isn't involved.

ProfessorChaos
29-Nov-2012, 11:12 PM
I like Levitt as an actor, but I have a hard time seeing him actually fill the role as Batman.

this x 1,000.

the dude can act, but seriously, isn't he like under 5' 6"? and he still looks like a kid. while the rumor may be true, i just can't see it.

oh well, not a big DC fan anyways, probably won't see it. nolan's trilogy is about as perfect as the batman mythology gets for me, think i'll just leave it at that and ignore the rest.