Sound of Music Boxset ($39.99)
Die Hard 2 ($14.99)
History of Violence ($9.99)
The Mask of Zorro ($12.99)
Invincible ($14.99)

bassman
19-Jan-2011, 10:51 PM
You've got to hold the record for the most blu ray threads on hpotd. :p

Bought The Social Network last night from Best Buy for 16 bucks. About halfway through the making-of doc which is great so far. Can't wait to hit the commentary...

Ghost Of War
20-Jan-2011, 07:13 AM
Last few Blu-Rays I bought were:

The Wizard Of Oz £9.31 (HMV online)
Monsters Inc £10.99 (HMV online)
Alien Anthology £30 (HMV in store, bargain)
Dawn Of The Dead £10.99 (HMV online)
Day Of The Dead £10.99 (HMV online)

Monsters Inc. is fucking incredible on BR.

DjfunkmasterG
20-Jan-2011, 02:27 PM
All the PIXAR flicks look fantastic on Blu-Ray.

My Totals stand at 378 Blu-Rays - 445 HD DVD's

MinionZombie
20-Jan-2011, 05:51 PM
Recent purchases include:

Kick Ass (December)
Scott Pilgrim vs The World (December)
Toy Story 3 (November)

Recent Xmas gifts include:

The Expendables
Inception

Still to watch Inception again - I'm saving that for the right time - and I've done three of the commentaries on Pilgrim, but methinks the next viewing will be with the actual audio.

I do wish the price of BRs would drop faster. There's some hanging around at full price meanwhile their DVD counterparts are like a tenner cheaper (but have less extras). I mean, Cop Out, for example - that's STILL full price ... but I only want that for Smith's Maximum Comedy Mode. The movie wasn't all that great (the best bits were in the trailer), and hearing about Willis' complete lack of effort and general demeanour further put me off the movie ... but that MCM mode should be worth seeing once the price has dropped.

LouCipherr
20-Jan-2011, 07:40 PM
I do wish the price of BRs would drop faster. There's some hanging around at full price meanwhile their DVD counterparts are like a tenner cheaper (but have less extras). I mean, Cop Out, for example - that's STILL full price ... but I only want that for Smith's Maximum Comedy Mode. The movie wasn't all that great (the best bits were in the trailer), and hearing about Willis' complete lack of effort and general demeanour further put me off the movie ... but that MCM mode should be worth seeing once the price has dropped.

<rant>

Yeah, it was kind of a shame to hear about how much of a dick he was to Smith and his complete lack of "wanting to be there" as Smith put it. Dipshit wouldn't even sit for a poster photo shoot. I've lost a LOT of respect for Willis after hearing all that. Smith may not be the most technically inclined director, but if Willis didn't want to work with him or do the movie, why the fuck did he sign on?!

</rant>

Back on topic...

I haven't really bought any BR's recently, but got quite a few for xmas:

The Shawshank Redemption (the packaging for this is pretty damn cool!)
Let The Right One In
Drag Me To Hell
Gran Torino
The Devil's Rejects

...and one or two more I can't remember offhand. d'oh!

I agree with MZ - the pricing on BR's is fucking stupid. I'm NOT paying $30 for a movie like Cop Out - hell, I'm not paying $30 for ANY movie unless it comes with a red-headed hooker that's already been pre-paid to "go around the world" :elol:

bassman
20-Jan-2011, 07:54 PM
Yeah, it was kind of a shame to hear about how much of a dick he was to Smith and his complete lack of "wanting to be there" as Smith put it. Dipshit wouldn't even sit for a poster photo shoot. I've lost a LOT of respect for Willis after hearing all that. Smith may not be the most technically inclined director, but if Willis didn't want to work with him or do the movie, why the fuck did he sign on?!

According to one of the Evening With Kevin Smith shows, wasn't it Willis that actually called up Smith after Die Hard 4 and asked him to come up with something they could work together on?

LouCipherr
20-Jan-2011, 08:11 PM
According to one of the Evening With Kevin Smith shows, wasn't it Willis that actually called up Smith after Die Hard 4 and asked him to come up with something they could work together on?

Yes indeed it was, which makes me wonder why Willis was such a dick during the filming of Cop Out. I mean, it was his own idea to work with Smith, and based on all the cast from Red State that Smith has been having on his "Red State of the Union" podcast, he sounds like he's really easy to work with, so I'm totally confused.

MinionZombie
21-Jan-2011, 10:00 AM
<rant>

</rant>

I agree with MZ - the pricing on BR's is fucking stupid. I'm NOT paying $30 for a movie like Cop Out - hell, I'm not paying $30 for ANY movie unless it comes with a red-headed hooker that's already been pre-paid to "go around the world" :elol:

Yes indeed it was, which makes me wonder why Willis was such a dick during the filming of Cop Out. I mean, it was his own idea to work with Smith, and based on all the cast from Red State that Smith has been having on his "Red State of the Union" podcast, he sounds like he's really easy to work with, so I'm totally confused.

Aye, my respect for him has dropped too. If you don't wanna do the fucking movie, don't ruddy well do it. If you've signed up, then put in a good performance, or just have a laugh - don't be a dick about it.

And no wonder the cover art looks so bad - it's all photoshopped bullshit - not even a photoshopped photo of the actual dude, it's a shit cut 'n' paste jobby.

As for pricing - there are a number of BRs I'd wanna get, but not for £15 to £20 (the latter makes me wonder how shops like HMV survive, quite frankly). Cop Out for example - I'd pay £6 for that, as it's really only the Maximum Comedy Mode that I'm actually interested in (I look forward to hearing more of the drip-drip of information regarding the production of Cop Out ... either in podcasts or on stand up shows).

Some movies I'll pay full price for - like Toy Story 3, or Avatar, because not only are the packages well worth the price, they're the sort of flicks I wanna pre-order anyway.

I have had a couple of decent prices on BR - for instance:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2 disc BR) - £8 in HMV (on a sale)
The Warriors: Director's Cut (BR ... just a shame it was the Dir Cut :p) - £6 in HMV (on a sale)
The Book of Eli (BR) - £7

But goddamn it's rare for a BR - of a good movie - to drop below £11, even when the DVD counterpart is like £5. If they want more discs selling they need to breakdown the sales prices after the first couple of months on sale at a gradual pace like they do with DVD.

DjfunkmasterG
22-Jan-2011, 07:40 PM
About to go on another Blu-Ray buy tonight at Blockbuster... love them 20-40% discounts when your friends is the manager

DjfunkmasterG
31-Jan-2011, 06:01 PM
New Editions now include:

RED - Special Edition BR/DVD COmbo (Beware... Movie only version uses lower video encode rate and Dolby Digital audio only. Special Edition uses higher vid encode and DTS HD-MA audio)
The Long Kiss Goodnight
Indecent Proposal (ordered 5 copies because this is OOP and copies sell for $50-$75 on eBay. Wally World had a bunch of left overs)
Iron Man 1
Iron Man 2 - Yes I never owned them on Blu-Ray
2012 - Dual Disc Edition (On sale at best Buy for $14.99, Reg $29.99)

LouCipherr
03-Feb-2011, 01:42 PM
My last two:

Cop Out - $12.99 @ best buy
Big Trouble in Little China - $10.99 @ best buy also

with a $20 coupon from their rewardzone club, I managed to pick these two up for less than $9. That was the only way I was going to pay for Cop Out anyway, is if it dropped below 14 bucks. I mainly bought it because of the "maximum comedy mode" not because it was a stellar movie.

DjfunkmasterG
03-Feb-2011, 02:47 PM
About to bring home 15 Blu-Rays from the used pile at Blockbuster... going to pick them up this afternoon. Had to wait for my friend to get me his discount.

:D

bassman
03-Feb-2011, 03:06 PM
A discount on top of the pre-viewed Blockbuster Blu Ray deals? Damn Deej....what are you paying? Three dollars per disc?

MikePizzoff
04-Feb-2011, 08:32 AM
-Shutter Island
-Rescue Dawn
-Labyrinth
-Ferris Bueller's Day Off

All for between $5 and $8. Thanks for going out of business, local Blockbuster.

kidgloves
10-Feb-2011, 09:33 PM
A friend of mine brought me back the Deadwood The Complete Series from the States (13 discs). A thing of beauty but expensive. Cost me £110 but its well worth it. The PQ is outstanding.

DjfunkmasterG
11-Feb-2011, 12:49 AM
A discount on top of the pre-viewed Blockbuster Blu Ray deals? Damn Deej....what are you paying? Three dollars per disc?

Anywhere from $3.50 to $7.40 per used Blu-Ray. Pays to have friends in the biz. :D

Danny
11-Feb-2011, 06:17 AM
grabbed kickass and district 9 for £20 in blockbuster, theyve got a deal going on, certain ones are 2 for 20 including those 2 and fight club, book of eli, teh dark knight, texas chainsaw massacre, memento, shaun of the dead, hero- the jet li film which is bueatiful in SD, gotta grab this one sometime, crash, reservoir dogs, the transporter 1 and 2, hot fuzz, the fly, dawn 2004, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, juno, equilibrium, american psycho, se7en, austin powers, phone booth, and the rocky horror picture show.

Not bad brand new for £!2 each, plus theyve got a £45 region free blu-ray player instore on sale now too.

To be honest i still prefer blockbuster where one of there older copies can go for £2.99 but if you want something more recent for a bit cheaper its still good.

Plus its nice to see the price of box sets dropping for tv shows, im still buying dvd sets because £69 for every season of lost on dvd compared for £199 for the blu-ray is no contest regardless of picture quality y'know? that said they've got stuff like a series of trueblood or band of brothers for £25 on blu-ray now. my usual perfect price for my cheap ass is £15 to £20 so there getting to a damn reasonable price. Just waiting for the lost complete collection to drop to £70- which they always do when they aint selling so well round near me and thats my first tv show blu ray purchase.

DjfunkmasterG
14-Feb-2011, 08:06 PM
At least your blockbuster is cheaper. Ours will charge new retail price for used Blu-Rays sometimes you have to tell the managers the prices are too high and point them towards a new one for less before they price adjust.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

My recent haul includes

Beetleguise
The Departed (replaced broken HD DVD)
Let Me In
Death Race
Death Race 2
Repo Men

bassman
14-Feb-2011, 08:11 PM
It's bullshit that Beetlejuice still hasn't received the proper special edition treatment. The only thing on the Blu Ray is a few epiosdes of the cartoon. LONG overdue for a good documentary and commentary...

Danny
14-Feb-2011, 08:49 PM
At least your blockbuster is cheaper. Ours will charge new retail price for used Blu-Rays sometimes you have to tell the managers the prices are too high and point them towards a new one for less before they price adjust.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

My recent haul includes

Beetleguise
The Departed (replaced broken HD DVD)
Let Me In
Death Race
Death Race 2
Repo Men

seriously, TWO MU'FUKKIN POUNDS for blu-rays even if the cases might be slightly less than brand spankin new thats a fucking steal. Imagine, taking like 20 dollars out your wallet and your getting 6 or 7 blu-rays. feelsgoodman.jpg

bassman
02-Mar-2011, 12:25 PM
Picked up Danny Boyle's 127 Hours and Bambi. Because I doubt that anyone cares about Bambi, I'll just say that you should buy 127 Hours. This may be the best looking blu ray since The Dark Knight's Imax scenes. It really is beautiful. The special features are pretty good as well - A 40 minute making of, "Search and Rescue" about the real story, and as is always the case with Boyle....a very interesting commentary track.

And of course it's a good movie, so I would say it's a definite purchase if you're a collector. 4.5/5 for the blu ray.

Doc
02-Mar-2011, 01:37 PM
^^^^^^^^^

Heys! Bambi is awesome!:eek::p:)

bassman
02-Mar-2011, 02:17 PM
^^^^^^^^^

Heys! Bambi is awesome!:eek::p:)

:lol: I didn't think many would care. I got it for my daughter, as I do with most of the remastered Disney blu rays, and she absolutely loves it. I enjoy it too. the amount of work Disney puts into these restorations is amazing. Sucha stunning picture for such an old classic. The special features are plentiful, as well. If you're a fan or have kids, this should be an instant purchase.

Doc
03-Mar-2011, 06:20 AM
How your daughter take Bambi's mom's death? :eek:

Made me almost breakdown like baby. :(