PDA

View Full Version : Segregation now, segregation Tomorrow, segregation forever.

Exatreides
21-Jan-2011, 04:17 PM
A school board full up with recently elected Tea party members have declared that it would be wiser and cheaper to make the poor kids(Blacks) go to poor schools(Black schools) in their local area (Black area). All the while it would be wiser and cheaper to make the rich kids(Whites) go to rich schools (White Schools) in their local area (White area).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/11/AR2011011107063.html?sid=ST2011011202619

JDFP
21-Jan-2011, 04:31 PM
A school board full up with recently elected Tea party members have declared that it would be wiser and cheaper to make the poor kids(Blacks) go to poor schools(Black schools) in their local area (Black area). All the while it would be wiser and cheaper to make the rich kids(Whites) go to rich schools (White Schools) in their local area (White area).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/11/AR2011011107063.html?sid=ST2011011202619

Wow, oversimplification much?

Of course, this is from the "Washington Post" -- so anything except for a liberal's spin and interpretation isn't going to take place. See how many times you can count Republican / Tea Party / or other such words in this article. Fascinating.

"If we had a school that was, like, 80 percent high-poverty, the public would see the challenges, the need to make it successful," he said. "Right now, we have diluted the problem, so we can ignore it."

You mean to tell me, you have multiple schools that are struggling right now and want to try and re-zone so you have less schools struggling and then you can focus your efforts at these few struggling schools instead of having to try and focus a "little" on each individiual school? Absolutely not! RACISM!!!!

America's public schools are clearly shit and are getting worse each year. Laying aside all the political mumbo-jumbo, if it's something that can work and can help benefit more students and give a chance for struggling schools to have better targeting for additional government support -- I say give it a shot, for at least a year. See how it goes.

j.p.

SymphonicX
21-Jan-2011, 05:12 PM
I say lump all the rich kids in the poor schools and the poor kids in the rich schools, see how the dynamics change.

JDFP
21-Jan-2011, 06:03 PM
I say lump all the rich kids in the poor schools and the poor kids in the rich schools, see how the dynamics change.

If you took all the rich kids out of rich schools and put them in poor schools and all the poor kids out of poor schools and put them in rich schools wouldn't it just be the exact same thing in a different building? :p:rockbrow:

j.p.

Danny
21-Jan-2011, 06:12 PM
tea party being racist and xenophobic theres a surprise.

JDFP
22-Jan-2011, 01:16 AM

Fringes of any right-wing organization being racist and/or xenophobic is no more surprising than fringes of left-wing groups having no argument to stand on with more moderate right or left leaning people in a debate so pulling intellectual elitism and looking down upon all others and classifying them in varying degrees of racist/bigot/etc. etc. It never fails.

Not saying you'd do it, because you wouldn't, but it certainly happens quite regularly. Take for example the "New York Times" this last week after the tragedy of the shooting -- they ran an op-ed piece on how we have to cut out hyperbole and assaulting others who we happen to disagree with on political ideology (something I've struggled with) -- and then on the same op ed page ran a glaring assault against Sarah Palin (of course the "Times" regularly credits her as the second coming of Hitler). That's what a credit card commercial would call: "Priceless".

j.p.

SymphonicX
22-Jan-2011, 08:54 AM
If you took all the rich kids out of rich schools and put them in poor schools and all the poor kids out of poor schools and put them in rich schools wouldn't it just be the exact same thing in a different building? :p:rockbrow:

j.p.

I never thought of that....

hahaha no - take the teachers and funding with them...

MikePizzoff
23-Jan-2011, 06:15 PM
While I'm pretty liberal (although I hate claiming political stance) and I think the Tea Party is a bunch of idiots, The Washington Post put a very unfair slant to this story. What's ACTUALLY going on is this:

Wake County has been spending money to bus many students to other schools in other parts of the county in order to create integration. What's happening now is the new school board wants to cut the funding on this - meaning those students will now stay in the school districts where they actually live.

The Washington Post is trying to slant this as if these new board members are going to spend money to ship students to schools in order to keep the races separated. Not the case.

slickwilly13
23-Jan-2011, 07:00 PM
There was segregation at my public schools when I attended. Rich kids and everyone else.

blind2d
23-Jan-2011, 07:17 PM
I usually think the W. Post is right (mainly because it's the paper I read), but yeah... stupid to put a slant on such a simple (and honestly not all that crucial for public knowledge) kind of thing. I don't get it... perhaps it's merely another reflection of how sensationalist the news media is becoming/has become... too bad.

darth los
24-Jan-2011, 03:50 PM

You know I made a comment a while back that upset a couple of members here, they pm'd me about it so i took it down.

So I'll re-word it A little. I'll let you guys fill in your own blanks.

Riddle me this:

Now, it's rediculous to suggest that every single member of a political party is xenophobic or a racist, but everytime something like this makes the news, what party are the people trying to enact it members of like 100% of the time?

:cool:

Arcades057
01-Feb-2011, 12:27 PM
You know I made a comment a while back that upset a couple of members here, they pm'd me about it so i took it down.

So I'll re-word it A little. I'll let you guys fill in your own blanks.

Riddle me this:

Now, it's rediculous to suggest that every single member of a political party is xenophobic or a racist, but everytime something like this makes the news, what party are the people trying to enact it members of like 100% of the time?

:cool:

Riddle me this: If a certain segment of the school is overwhelmingly causing disruptions and enough disruptions to inhibit the learning of the other students, learning which is being paid for by the tax-payers, then at what point does it make good, clear sense to remove those disruptive elements from the equation?

Why would you rarely/never see people on the left taking this stance? Simply put, the educational system we have been "blessed" with is their baby. Admitting that the system is flawed will admit that they have flaws. Since that's the party that is trying to convince us that they have the answers to everything, they can't do that.

Why does the right seem to do it more often? It might be that they're trying to secure a better education for those who seem to have a desire to learn...

But, whatever, racism makes the evil white men look evil so, yeah, it must be that.