PDA

View Full Version : Take Shelter (film) could be interesting...

Neil
25-Jan-2011, 12:32 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48217

AcesandEights
25-Jan-2011, 02:26 PM
Does sound pretty cool. A nice take on a few ideas that have been run into the ground lately.

bassman
25-Jan-2011, 02:32 PM
The description immediately made me think of the first 2/3's of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Sounds interesting.

Neil
24-May-2011, 10:01 AM
Even more interested!

x98ETOyZCls

MoonSylver
25-May-2011, 05:33 AM
The description immediately made me think of the first 2/3's of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Sounds interesting.

The first part of that trailer kinda plays out that way too, but it seems to take a turn into something else...what I have no idea, but it looks interesting. ;)

bassman
25-May-2011, 12:43 PM
Mother Nature will kneel before Zod! Sorry...I had too. :o

Great trailer. Can't wait to see this thing. Shannon is a top notch actor and what little we can see of the story looks great.

JDFP
25-May-2011, 02:30 PM
This is another one that's been saved in my Netflix queue (along with 291 other films that haven't been released yet) I'm looking foward to very much. This is going to go with my list of films to watch for my Halloween marathon either this year or next year. If I recall it was a big hit at the Sundance Film Festival.

j.p.

Neil
01-Oct-2011, 04:59 PM
+ve review - http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/Take-Shelter-5494.html

Take Shelter is an expertly crafted film from top to bottom. A psychological thriller and family drama framed as a character piece, the movie is deep without being too complex and slowly paced without ever lagging. This is the second time that Michael Shannon has worked with Jeff Nichols and if we’re lucky it won’t be the last.

Neil
14-Dec-2011, 01:36 PM
So, anyone seen this yet?

-- -------- Post added 14-Dec-2011 at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was 08-Dec-2011 at 05:54 PM ----------

In The Houston Film Critics Society top ten films of the year!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52268

bassman
09-May-2012, 06:11 PM
So, anyone seen this yet?

Delayed response, but I've seen it.

NO spoilers - it's a great flick and I highly recommend it. Some parts are downright scary, which I didn't expect, but the film seems to balance a tight rope between all genres in a strange way. Family drama, small specs of comedy, horror, suspense, a bit of action, special effects, etc.

I think if there are to be any heavy complaints out there for Take Shelter, it's the pace of the film and the ending. The pace will probably seem too slow for a lot of today's "The Avengers is the best movie ever!" audiences, but I thought it was a breath of fresh air. It really takes its time to set up the characters, live with them, and then slowly unravel what the film is really about. As for the ending - I think it's pretty much split down the middle. A certain type of audience will call it bullsh*t and a cop out, while others will say it's genious and the kind of thing more movies need these days. Take that for what you will...

Anyway....see Take Shelter! It's a bit difficult to track down because it's an independent film, so for that reason I just streamed it, but I will definitely be seeking out the dvd/blu ray to join my collection. Fingers crossed for a commentary because I would love to hear their thoughts on it....

Neil
10-May-2012, 11:04 AM
^^ Right definately going to see it now!