PDA

View Full Version : Reputation Update

Andy
20-Jun-2006, 02:38 AM
We've received a lot of complaints about reputation misuse lately, and to combat this ive made 2 changes to the system.

1. ive upped the spread to 20. so you must now give reputation to 20 people before you can give reputation to the same person twice.

2. Ive forced comments, which means if you want leave someone reputation you now have to leave a comment aswell. this should be your reason for either liking or disliking the post.

thanks.

Cody
20-Jun-2006, 03:16 AM
yeah it was getting abused there for a bit

Arcades057
20-Jun-2006, 03:46 PM
Very nice, very nice. You can still only give 5 points a day, yeah? Maybe thar should increase at your rank goes up? After, say, you get two rep bars you can give 10 a day, three bars gives you 15, so on and so on?

Just an idea.

DjfunkmasterG
20-Jun-2006, 05:56 PM
it will definately stop people from giving bad rep for BS causes.

erisi236
21-Jun-2006, 05:39 PM
I've yet to give anyone bad rep :D

I even give good rep for posts that I hate but are at least well writen :)

Svengoolie
21-Jun-2006, 06:50 PM
Another good move would be to add a feature that tells you exactly who is giving you each rep point, good or bad.;)

Tullaryx
21-Jun-2006, 06:52 PM
Another good move would be to add a feature that tells you exactly who is giving you each rep point, good or bad.;)

I second that.

Arcades057
22-Jun-2006, 02:05 AM
I third that.

Adrenochrome
22-Jun-2006, 02:10 AM
You've got red on you.

Arcades057
22-Jun-2006, 03:58 AM
Sven, I guess your rep will start to go up, now that "people" who don't like you can't hide anymore! :D

Andy
22-Jun-2006, 03:37 PM

we (the staff) can see exactly who's left you reputation.

the reason members cant is to stop vendetta style negative reputation (he gave me bad rep, so im gonna give it back).

this isnt about to change :p

Mike70
22-Jun-2006, 03:54 PM
post removed by scipio. it was redundant.

Danny
22-Jun-2006, 08:09 PM
surely kowing who gave you bad rep will make vendettas worse?:confused:

me i allways try to leave a snappy comment followed by "-H" that way you know you got burned by me so hang your head in shame...SHAAAAAMMMMMEEE!.:lol:

Andy
22-Jun-2006, 08:28 PM
surely kowing who gave you bad rep will make vendettas worse?:confused:

me i allways try to leave a snappy comment followed by "-H" that way you know you got burned by me so hang your head in shame...SHAAAAAMMMMMEEE!.:lol:
you hardly ever leave comments :p

and yes knowing who left you rep would cause vendetta's, thats why we dont allow it. revenge is not a eligable reason for leaving reputation, it should be a personal agreement or disagreement with the particullar post.

Danny
22-Jun-2006, 08:33 PM
exactly.

DjfunkmasterG
26-Jun-2006, 12:34 PM
you hardly ever leave comments :p

and yes knowing who left you rep would cause vendetta's, thats why we dont allow it. revenge is not a eligable reason for leaving reputation, it should be a personal agreement or disagreement with the particullar post.

I agree... because flame wars would erupt all over the place. I however, still believe the neg rep should have to be moderator approved before it is tacked onto someones rep system. Positive rep is no biggie, but Neg rep is usually because someone doesn't agree with anothers view point, and that is not how the negative rep system is supposed to work.

You should only be giving negative rep to people when the post is tasteless or serves no value to the community. To hand someone negative rep because they don't like George Bush, or the War in Iraq or they have a differing opinion than yours is ridiculious

kortick
26-Jun-2006, 10:10 PM
Oh my
you can leave bad reps too...

I didnt know that

i tried to leave opinions when i given reps
but they have all been positive ones

I still dont see a reason to leave a bad
rep
i find that reward good behavior
and ignore bad works for me

but some people like to be negative...

MaximusIncredulous
27-Jun-2006, 12:38 PM
What's the purpose of reps anyway?

Do we get prizes if we rack up enough of them :D?

LouCipherr
27-Jun-2006, 01:34 PM
I think it's more so people can tout how "powerful" or "known" they are in the community. Which kinda defeats the purpose of a "community" anyway, doesn't it?

Vendettas will continue, regardless of how the rep system is changed. I could potentially give everyone negative rep point every day up to my limit, and just because I have to leave a comment (which again, I don't have to leave my username, so what's the point?) doesn't mean that will change.

Personally, I think it's a bad idea all together. All you're doing is segregating people from one another.