PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody seen my Colin?

jded
30-Jan-2011, 04:46 PM
Uh no only a sick joke, sorry! No but this, on a shoe string budget indie British zombie flick Colin I'm refering to. There's practically no dialogue whatsoever. It's raw and gutwrenching at times, and I seriously was almost unable to stomach some of the scenes. I was unnerved on occasion and aware that I was making many a seat adjustment due to my discomfort. At various times in the film it veered into a documentaryish phase. Were they borrowing from TCM? Yeah I think so, and a few other classics as well.
Well so I'm unsure that if this is what it did to me maybe I should applaud it for moving me the way it did, even if that movement was uncomfortable. I mean isn't that what a good horror movies supposed to do, cause unease and jolt you out of your comfort zone? I wish it would have had more of a story and also forced us to care more at least for some of the characters. It really basically felt like an apocalypse of some sort. And kind of like reverting back to Neanderthal man when our ancestors grunted and fed like savages, and spoke in a not yet specific language.

MinionZombie
30-Jan-2011, 05:25 PM
I saw it several months back, and this is what I had to say about it at the time:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2010/08/pentuple-bill-mini-musings-august-2010.html

Colin:
Much has been made of this being "the £45 zombie film" ... perhaps, but with an awful lot of favours, people, contacts and free work thrown into the mix. It could do with being about 20 minutes shorter and a little more focused and organised in its plotting, but overall I was quite impressed by it.

The film is, it has to be said, let down by the visual presentation - but then again that was part of the charm of it that so enraptured the slow-to-pay-attention mainstream media - but its real strength comes in numerous scenes that are well observed and/or pack an emotional punch. There is a subtlety to the film in the way big emotional situations are played out with little-or-no dialogue and instead with merely looks, careful framing, and an eye for explosive detail - the little visual cues that convey an essay's worth in a moment.

Certain sequences go on too long (such as a battle in a house with a hoard of the undead, and the dangers of someone's cellar), and the camerawork can be annoyingly shaky and dark at times ... but for every niggle or slight downside, there's a fantastic little idea thrown into the mix.

Working well with its low budget station, the zombie apocalypse playing out frequently as nothing but gunshots in the distance and a few newspaper headlines is a great way to sell a lot with very little. The film's full of these things and that makes it stand out. It's a great indie zombie flick, which really takes the subject matter seriously and deals with it in a mostly subtle manner - and what's more, on a few occasions it successfully struck an emotional wallop.

In a way it's a shame that so much attention has been given to the "£45" angle - although I can fully understand it, and condone it, as a marketing and attention-acquiring gimmick - but it does hide the real quality going on beneath the very low budget outer shell. It'll be interesting and exciting, to say the least, to see what the Director can do with a bit of money at his disposal.

Neil
30-Jan-2011, 09:36 PM
Uh no only a sick joke, sorry! No but this, on a shoe string budget indie British zombie flick Colin I'm refering to. There's practically no dialogue whatsoever. It's raw and gutwrenching at times, and I seriously was almost unable to stomach some of the scenes. I was unnerved on occasion and aware that I was making many a seat adjustment due to my discomfort. At various times in the film it veered into a documentaryish phase. Were they borrowing from TCM? Yeah I think so, and a few other classics as well.
Well so I'm unsure that if this is what it did to me maybe I should applaud it for moving me the way it did, even if that movement was uncomfortable. I mean isn't that what a good horror movies supposed to do, cause unease and jolt you out of your comfort zone? I wish it would have had more of a story and also forced us to care more at least for some of the characters. It really basically felt like an apocalypse of some sort. And kind of like reverting back to Neanderthal man when our ancestors grunted and fed like savages, and spoke in a not yet specific language.

I loved it!

It obviously was clunky in places, and some bits didn't quite work, but for a low budget flick it was brilliant! And the main thing was, it actually had some intelligence and originality to the story!

AcesandEights
31-Jan-2011, 01:42 PM
I've yet to see it, but am hoping it will either work it's way over here to the states or end up on Netflix eventually. I haven't been following it too faithfully, so either of those options could already be present.

Mr.G
31-Jan-2011, 02:06 PM
It's on my netflix list...hopefully a proper US release follows soon.

AcesandEights
31-Jan-2011, 02:10 PM
It's on my netflix list.

Sweet! I haven't been able to connect to my netflix account since my girlfriend hooked up the Kinect. Frikkin' womenfolk :dead: but it's god to know I'll have access to the film when I get it hooked back up.

Ghost Of War
02-Feb-2011, 07:55 AM
I loved Colin. For me, it was very emotional, even with very little dialogue, and there were some really quite unnerving moments. I ended up feeling very sorry for Colin.

paultagonist
11-Feb-2011, 11:15 PM
Sweet! I haven't been able to connect to my netflix account since my girlfriend hooked up the Kinect. Frikkin' womenfolk :dead: but it's god to know I'll have access to the film when I get it hooked back up.

Unfortunately it's not available on Netflix yet, though you can "save" it so it'll be put in your queue when it does become available. However, you can easily find this movie on Amazon (starting at 7.99 used) and eBay, region 1 NTSC releases.

CornishCorpse
17-Mar-2011, 08:47 PM
Very enjoyable, for the budget it was on I was impressed and I did end up caring about the human characters in it a bit more than usual because the entire atmosphere just felt so bleak. It felt so true to how I thought the world would be, there was no escape. You might find other survivors and weapons but sooner or later the grey hoard is going to get in through that crack in the window, the unlocked door. Wonderful film and going cheap here there and everywhere so its a must buy. My only issue was one of my friends arguing Colin is a likable character which of course left me to reply ".................You like the flesh eating corpse? ", okay Bub is the exception the rule.

Gryphon
21-Mar-2011, 12:13 AM
I loved Colin :) Was a great movie, and it does need more exposure over here.