PDA

View Full Version : Man Of Steel (film) - Directed by Zack Snyder

DjfunkmasterG
01-Feb-2011, 07:56 AM
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/01/30/superman-cast-henry-cavill/?hpt=T2

Oh and don't give me any shit Used the search function. This means you search nazi's =O)

bassman
01-Feb-2011, 12:16 PM
There's a thread in the ten or so top threads of the media section. :lol:

Anyway....dude looks like Superman, I guess. Never seen him in anything. Of course I don't think he will be the problem. The problem will most likely be Snyder's flash over substance. Hopefully i'm wrong.

This guy has been battling it out for DC characters for years now. He was one of the leading contenders for Batman Begins and also Superman Returns. Speaking of Returns....I'm bummed that Routh doesn't get another chance, but I never really expected it anyway. It would have been nice, though. He was a great Kent/Superman.

DjfunkmasterG
01-Feb-2011, 12:35 PM
That thread says No New Superman films :elol: So there I am safe.

I will be honest, Snyder directing a Superman film will probably just result, as you said, in a flashier version, but I would like to add... I bet it feels like Superman 3.

I don't like the combination of Snyder and Superman. He was ok for 300 and Watchmen, but Superman... eh....

bassman
01-Feb-2011, 12:42 PM
I will be honest, Snyder directing a Superman film will probably just result, as you said, in a flashier version...

This is most likely the reason he was chosen for this reboot. I doubt Nolan helped pick him to direct because he liked his films. Most likely it was the studio saying he's worked with them before, and he can bring in the kiddies with the action. Don't get me wrong....Superman and action will go hand-in-hand. I'm excited to see that stuff, but I'm afraid he'll drop the ball in the other departments. I still say it's a damn shame they didn't let Bryan Singer continue with his planned trilogy. The second film, "Man of Steel", was to be the action oriented flick they wanted....

blind2d
01-Feb-2011, 04:01 PM
Why not make movies about other superheroes? Where's the live-action Wonder Woman movie? How come we have to re-hash all this batman/superman/spiderman crap all the time? are we really that boring?
That said, Thor, eh? whatever...
"It's the sweet sensation, over the dub," - 2D
"Wot? Ohhh! Re-hash, that old chestnut! Yes... I see wot you did there..." - Murdoc

bassman
01-Feb-2011, 04:08 PM
Why not make movies about other superheroes? Where's the live-action Wonder Woman movie? How come we have to re-hash all this batman/superman/spiderman crap all the time? are we really that boring?

Green Lantern hits theaters this summer, so they are starting to give other DC characters some attention. As for the Superman reboot....it's being rushed along because Warner Brothers has to have a new Superman film out before 2013 or the rights to the character revert back to the creators' families.

DjfunkmasterG
01-Feb-2011, 05:47 PM
Green Lantern hits theaters this summer, so they are starting to give other DC characters some attention. As for the Superman reboot....it's being rushed along because Warner Brothers has to have a new Superman film out before 2013 or the rights to the character revert back to the creators' families.

well it is a business for them... so it is their decision, but WB doesn't usually mettle with productions when they hand pick someone for the chair. So Zak will be given free reign, but I have a feeling this is going to be another slo-mo fest that will have no redeeming qualities. I like Zack, hell I met the guy and he is cool , but this is not what he is made for... plain and simple.

MikePizzoff
01-Feb-2011, 06:37 PM
What happened to no new Superman films? :annoyed:

I've always felt Superman is by far the wimpiest of all the popular superheros.

blind2d
02-Feb-2011, 05:35 PM
"Meddle", DJ... "Mettle" is like... that other thing... you know...
Then of course there's "metal"...

Wimpy? He can stop a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! What's wimpy about that?!

bassman
02-Feb-2011, 06:27 PM
Superman is THE superhero. There would be no superhero genre without him.

I guess for today's audiences he may be "wimpy". Wearing tights, having morals and all. Not all superheroes can be dark like Batman or alcoholics like Iron Man...

Doc
03-Feb-2011, 05:39 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wimpy? First, I've heard that. Most of the complaints I've heard about him is that he's to perfect, or powerful.

bassman
03-Feb-2011, 12:24 PM
Most of the complaints I've heard about him is that he's to perfect, or powerful.

Which is the reason I hope they give him a physically challenging opponent in this new film. I loved Superman Returns, but it's time to put Luthor on the back burner and bring in someone that poses a physical threat to Supes. Brainiac, Darkseid, Doomsday, hell....maybe even bring back Zod?

It's long overdue for Superman to have a physical fight. That's one thing I agree with on the Superman Returns criticisms. It could have used a bigger finale to quinch that physical threat thirst. The sequel was meant to do that, so let's hope they're going to do that with this reboot. But with Snyder at the helm, I don't think we have to worry about that. SLOOOO MOOOO SUUUUPPPPPEEEEERRRRMMMMAAANNNNN. :p

DjfunkmasterG
03-Feb-2011, 02:48 PM
"Meddle", DJ... "Mettle" is like... that other thing... you know...
Then of course there's "metal"...

Wimpy? He can stop a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! What's wimpy about that?!

Thanks for the correction officer. I will be more careful :lol: just messing with you blind... relax. I figured I messed it up but said fuck it and posted it anyway beause I don't give a fuck. :D

blind2d
03-Feb-2011, 02:51 PM
Yeah... I should've known... English is funny, ain't it?

DjfunkmasterG
03-Feb-2011, 02:52 PM
Yeah... I should've known... English is funny, ain't it?

Why yes it is... Would you like a SPOT a tea? :lol:

blind2d
03-Feb-2011, 02:57 PM
Heh... yeah...
Language in general, actually, come to think of it...
How do you spell Mr. Xpdlk? Or whatever?

Mitchified
04-Feb-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm guessing you mean Mister Mxyzptlk. I figure he'll go into a Superman movie right around the time that Bat-Mite makes it into a Batman film.

I'm a huge comic book geek, and to be honest I've never really connected with Superman as a character. I'm completely okay with the Boy Scout attitude and the somewhat outdated set of morals; there's a reason why I like Steve Rogers (the former Captain America for the uninitiated). I don't like him because he's so ridiculously overpowered. It never really feels like he's up against something that he might not be able to handle or even that 99% of his rogues gallery are a threat.

Assuming that you want to have a villain that actually measures up to him physically while not being dumb as a stump, you don't have very many choices. I might be missing a few here, but I can only think of Darkseid, Brainiac, Doomsday (although he began life in the Superman comics fairly stupid), General Zod, and maybe Mongul if you really stretch the definition of "measures up". Then there are a few characters that can match him physically due to some built-in advantage rather than strength, like Parasite, Metallo, and the Kryptonite Man.

There's also always Bizarro, but I refer you back to the dumb as a stump comment.

There isn't really a large pool of villains to choose from when you add in the fact that the audience has to actually give a crap about them. The smart money would be on Brainiac and probably either Parasite or Metallo.

The question of why Warner Bros. keeps retreading certain heroes instead of expanding out into the DC Universe more was brought up, and the answer is simple. When you break it down, DC doesn't have very many A-list heroes. When you look at the characters that are viewed as being major players by comic book fans, the general consensus at this point is only Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern. After that, you've got B-listers like Green Arrow, Supergirl, Martian Manhunter, the Flash (there was a time when he easily would have been an A-lister, but some terrible writers over the years and less important roles in company-wide events have really brought him down), and a few others. Once those are out of the way there's a whole mess of randomness and characters that nobody cares about, characters like Red Tornado, Miracle Man, the Question (one of the best written comics out there, but barely anybody actually reads it), etc.

Compare that to Marvel where there's a much larger list of A-list heroes: Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine, the Hulk, Daredevil, etc. Not to mention the teams that can easily be turned into profitable franchises like the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Avengers. Even some B-list heroes like the Punisher and Ghost Rider have a large following. There's so much more character depth and audience recognition to work with when it comes to Marvel.

When DC does a character right, they do it better than anyone else, hands down. The Batman comics since the early eighties have been the most consistently superior comics in the entire industry, for example. Memorable villains, a central character that resonates with fans, strong supporting characters, everything. The issue is that DC very rarely manages to do this sort of thing, and thus they have very little source material to draw from when making movies. In a way the Green Lantern movie is a bit of a risk because, while he's a popular character to comic book fans, he doesn't have the recognition outside of comic readers the way that a Batman or Spider-Man does.

What I want to see in the new Superman movie is fast, hard-hitting fights. The part of Superman that seems to get ignored in the movies is the "faster than a speeding bullet" part. Sure, he's been shown flying fast, but would a guy that can go that fast really throw a normal speed punch? I say put him in a fight with Brainiac and just let them tear each other apart.

bassman
09-Feb-2011, 10:54 PM
A few new quotes from Slack Snyder...

"My feeling about Superman is that I've been a fan of the character for a long time. But the question for me was always, 'What can you do with Superman in a modern world?' And I think the amazing thing that Chris and David have created, that I'm working on now, and the reason why I was like, 'Yeah, I'll do that,' was that they found that in him. They found the why in him. That's the exciting part for me."

Umm..."The why"? I didn't realize that was such an unknown part of the character. In fact, I think it's as known as his blue and red tights...

As for how this Superman movie will differ from those that have come before it...

"I can't really talk about that without being kind of specific," says Snyder. "But I can say I think Superman needs to be physical."

Super Slo mo.....here we come, baby! I'm actually looking forward to a large scale Superman fight. I just hope it's not all at 2 mph.

Doc
09-Feb-2011, 11:49 PM
I hope they don't make Luthor the villian, or atleast the "main" villain. I would like it if he worked behind the scenes, and was in part one of the reasons for the creation of Metallo for example, like the Animated Series( not sure if the same thing happened in the comics). Brainac can be saved for the sequel.

SymphonicX
10-Feb-2011, 07:13 AM
argh I wish they'd do the Doomsday fight....Doomsday beat Superman with one hand tied behind his back, epic.

MikePizzoff
10-Feb-2011, 07:52 AM
Superman is THE superhero. There would be no superhero genre without him.

I guess for today's audiences he may be "wimpy". Wearing tights, having morals and all. Not all superheroes can be dark like Batman or alcoholics like Iron Man...

Nah dude, I've felt that way since I was in the very early stages of elementary school, reading comics and watching old cartoons. Maybe he's just too "traditional" (for lack of a better word)?

bassman
10-Feb-2011, 12:59 PM
I hope they don't make Luthor the villian, or atleast the "main" villain. I would like it if he worked behind the scenes, and was in part one of the reasons for the creation of Metallo for example, like the Animated Series( not sure if the same thing happened in the comics). Brainac can be saved for the sequel.

Looking at Nolan and Goyer's past films, I think it's safe to say there will be more than one villain. Whether or not one of them is Luthor is yet to be determined, but I could definitely see him as a second hand villain like Falcone and Maroni in the Batman films. The main baddie will be the physical threat, while the other is sort of pulling the strings from the background.

Doc
10-Feb-2011, 04:57 PM
Looking at Nolan and Goyer's past films, I think it's safe to say there will be more than one villain. Whether or not one of them is Luthor is yet to be determined, but I could definitely see him as a second hand villain like Falcone and Maroni in the Batman films. The main baddie will be the physical threat, while the other is sort of pulling the strings from the background.

Works for me!

Wait, doesn't Snyder have a say in the script now though? :eek:

argh I wish they'd do the Doomsday fight....Doomsday beat Superman with one hand tied behind his back, epic.

:bored: Talk about one of the most overrated comics, and villains evar!

"The Death of Superman" didn't really impress me. Is this the best a Superman has to offer? :rockbrow: It wasn't really anything special too me. I'm sure there must be better comics for Supes out there!

AcesandEights
10-Feb-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm sure there must be better comics for Supes out there!

http://superman.ugo.com/images/galleries/superman_comics/redson_1_180.jpg

Just kidding. I'm ready for both Superman and Batman to take a breather and get some rest. Maybe after the next Batman movie they can let the film versions cool off for a bit then do a proper DKR with an older batman.

darth los
10-Feb-2011, 08:45 PM

I have a feeling they're gonna do the same with the DC characters that they are doing at MArvel.

They're gonna trickle out the solo films in preparation for a justice league film just as they are doing with iron man, thor, hulk and cap as it pertains to the avengers.

We already got supes, bats and GL. Wonder woman and flash anyone?

:cool:

bassman
10-Feb-2011, 08:57 PM
A Flash script is indeed in the works, but so far they have no intention of trying a Justice League film. I'm sure the boss men have it in the back of their minds, but as of now they say it will be years down the road if it happens at all. They're trying to focus more on the individual characters.

There definitely won't be any mention of the characters existing in the same world until Nolan calls it quits. He's stated numerous times that his Batman lives in a world on his own, and now his Superman will do the same. Besides....mentioning Superman or Green Lantern in his Batman Universe would ruin his entire approach.

Warner Brothers tried a Justice League a few years ago, but it fell through after casting. George Miller(Mad Max) was set to direct when they pulled the plug on it in favor of Nolan's franchise. Dodged a bullet there...

Publius
10-Feb-2011, 11:03 PM
Funny, I don't remember Clark Kent being in The Tudors. ;-)

blind2d
11-Feb-2011, 01:54 AM
I think it's time for some fresh heroes... We need new blood! People like... Ace Armageddon! He's the Terminal Man of Tomorrow!

Mitchified
11-Feb-2011, 02:58 PM

"The Death of Superman" didn't really impress me. Is this the best a Superman has to offer? :rockbrow: It wasn't really anything special too me. I'm sure there must be better comics for Supes out there!

Truth be told, there aren't all that many great Superman story arcs. Most of his truly well-written stories were done via the Justice League and, to a certain extent, Batman series (I thought he was used perfectly in the Batman "Hush" storyline). The only ones that were truly strong that come to mind are:

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

All-Star Superman

Red Son

Kingdom Come (theoretically this is actually a story about all the heroes, but there's no question that it revolves around Superman)

And that's it. From the sixty bajillion years that Superman has been in print in one form or another, those are the only story arcs that I consider strong. I completely agree with you that Death of Superman was weak. Nobody actually cared about Doomsday as a villain (shown by the fact that he hasn't been used much since); it would have had far more impact if, say, Lex Luthor finally managed to take down the Man of Steel. If you want to see how it could have been done right, watch the trailer for DC Universe Online and see how Luthor coldly and calculatingly kills him with Wonder Woman's corpse and a whole lot of kryptonite.

Doc
11-Feb-2011, 04:32 PM
^^^^^^^^

Sad. :(

From what I've seen the most popular DC stories are Batman's.

And for a good reason.

I thought "Year One", and "Dark Knight Returns" were amazing.

I don't really hear much about any of the other heroes. Everyone is such a Bat-wanker these days. :p

I thought DC didn't like using Doomsday alot because he was to much of a gimmick character? :rockbrow:

SymphonicX
11-Feb-2011, 04:49 PM
Works for me!

Wait, doesn't Snyder have a say in the script now though? :eek:

Of course there were tons but Bizarro doesn't really cut it - y'know....the Death story has a whole trilogy in it....and that fight was epic, no doubt about it. Its definitely the story that I've read which has the most meat, it deals with every facet of Supes existence plus it has some nice commentary on modern media and idol worship...

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

I should probably add, y'know if you look at most of the Superman stories, they aren't exactly strong in terms of it being mature....Death is a great example of the "thank you superman!!" mentality that permeated the first SM movie with Chris Reeves - they've pretty much ALWAYS been cheesy if you ask me, its about reading between the lines and Death has a lot of space between those lines...a LOT of space!

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

and also, on casting Henry Cavill as the next Supes - this poisoned chalice will probably destroy the poor fella.
This is literally an almost impossible role to cast properly - if you think about the characteristics that Superman possesses - he needs to be charming, intelligent, compelling without being smarmy, egotistical or self righteous - very few actors nowdays can portray those qualities alongside the "mild mannered" (read: meek, uninteresting, naive) Clark Kent. Chris Reeves managed it perfectly (I'm more a fan of the movies than the comics tbh)...you've just got to look at Chris Reeves delivering the "safest way to travel" scene with Margot Kidder - when he smiles and flies off, telling her his name was "a friend" - he has everything there. He's friendly, compelling, interesting, charming - and he's not a sycophantic, smarmy twat like Brandon Routh was. He just pulled it off....Then look at Dean "God's gift to women" Cain - ok so the source material was far from rich but him as superman, and him as clark kent - the same person, a smarmy, egotistical "Commander Riker" type which annoyed more people than interested them....

Cavill has a lot to live up to.

Mitchified
11-Feb-2011, 04:57 PM
^^^^^^^^

Sad. :(

From what I've seen the most popular DC stories are Batman's.

And for a good reason.

I thought "Year One", and "Dark Knight Returns" were amazing.

I don't really hear much about any of the other heroes. Everyone is such a Bat-wanker these days. :p

I thought DC didn't like using Doomsday alot because he was to much of a gimmick character? :rockbrow:

They actually tried to expand on the Doomsday character a few years ago, making it so that every time he died he resurrected and grew stronger, and he was no longer able to be killed in a way that he had already died. They even tried giving him a personality and the ability to speak.

It was an epic, epic failure.

Batman: Year One was one of the greatest comic book storylines ever. It's right up there with another one of Frank Miller's pieces, Daredevil: Born Again (which I personally feel is the greatest story in the history of comics). Batman is the one character that DC gets right on a regular basis. The rest of them...erm, not so much. Excluding Batman, I think the only story arc DC has managed to get right in the last ten years was Tornado's Path in the new Justice League series.

I'd love to see more of the DC Universe used in movies, but really, who would they use? The Flash? His two best-known villains are Captain Cold and Gorilla Grodd; that's not exactly a formula for a winning film there. Wonder Woman? Possibly, but she'd probably end up fighting someone like Vandal Savage which is kind of a yawn. Green Arrow? He's a personal favorite of mine, but there isn't much to build a solo movie on. Martian Manhunter? Hawkman/Hawkgirl? Red Tornado?

There's not a whole lot to work with there.

SymphonicX
14-Feb-2011, 08:14 AM
Going slightly off topic for a moment, I watched the Richard Donner version of Superman 2 last night with the girlfriend. Easily now my favourite Superman movie of all time - obviously a lot needs to be forgiven especially the egotistical point proving of Superman when he goes back to a restaurant to beat up a bully who technically had never met him - that was a bit weird.

But that scene where Chris Reeves goes back to Jor-El and begs for forgiveness and to get his powers back...man what a scene. I'd forgotten just how powerful and awesome it was. So so much better than Margot Kidder's fat arse saving Superman's powers ala the original (in case you're wondering, she sits on one of the crystals, therefore hiding it from the destruction that ocurrs when Supes gives up his powers and the crystals are all destroyed.) It was so beautifully realised. All the stupid comedy is gone...for instance the big guy's undeveloped eye lasers, the guy who insists on trying to maintain a phonebox conversation whilst being blown away by Zod's "super" breath, is blown onto his side, still talking, and blown out of the shot, still talking on the phone. Stupidness. All of that stuff is gone...and Lester's remaining scenes (which clearly had to be left in there) stick out like a sore thumb...ie Margot Kidder: "you're a real pain in the neck!" and all that. The lines they did have alternate takes for are delivered more maturely and with more passion....Zod: "Why do you say these things to me, when you know I will kill you for it?"...all that stuff. It's just a shame they released an incomplete movie as it felt there could have been about another 20 mins of story there....damn though, good movie.

AcesandEights
14-Feb-2011, 01:48 PM
Three pages about Zack Snyder directing Superman and no comments from MZ?!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/ZackObamaized.png

bassman
14-Feb-2011, 02:30 PM
Three pages about Zack Snyder directing Superman and no comments from MZ?!

He probably couldn't understand DJ's thread title, so he didn't bother looking. :lol:

"Chris Nolan hires Zack Snyder, Who watches The Tudors and casts Clark Kent as Kal El in the upcoming Warner Brothers reboot of Superman Directed by Zack Snyder from 300 of Henry Cavill." :p

Going slightly off topic for a moment, I watched the Richard Donner version of Superman 2 last night with the girlfriend. Easily now my favourite Superman movie of all time

Word. Loved this edit. It's a shame we couldn't see it as it was meant to be, but i'm extremely thankful we got this rough edit. Donner is responsible for the modern super hero genre. He blew Lester out of the water and intended to keep making Superman movies for years to come. Instead they gave the reigns to Lester, who turned it into a farce. Then took it one step further with Richard Pryor's Superman III....

DjfunkmasterG
14-Feb-2011, 08:03 PM
He probably couldn't understand DJ's thread title, so he didn't bother looking. :lol:

"Chris Nolan hires Zack Snyder, Who watches The Tudors and casts Clark Kent as Kal El in the upcoming Warner Brothers reboot of Superman Directed by Zack Snyder from 300 of Henry Cavill." :p

Word. Loved this edit. It's a shame we couldn't see it as it was meant to be, but i'm extremely thankful we got this rough edit. Donner is responsible for the modern super hero genre. He blew Lester out of the water and intended to keep making Superman movies for years to come. Instead they gave the reigns to Lester, who turned it into a farce. Then took it one step further with Richard Pryor's Superman III....

I do enjoy the Donner cut and have it in HD. Great stuff. I am glad WB allowed RD to re-edit the movie as he intended it.

Neil
26-Feb-2011, 06:16 PM
Mortensen as General Zod? WOW!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48647

bassman
04-Mar-2011, 12:10 PM
Clark Kent's mother, Martha has been cast. And she is....holy shit! A MILF!

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/WudSmashMarthaKent1.jpg

She's the second official cast member and there are rumors that Kevin Costner is in line to play her husband, Jonathan. Great match up, if you ask me. They're just not that old. Maybe we're getting another origin film. Perhaps a film adaptation of Birthright?

Aside from the rumors of Motensen that Neil posted above, I've also heard that Daniel Day Lewis is a possibility? I think that's a bit of a stretch, personally...

Danny
04-Mar-2011, 12:23 PM
Mortensen as General Zod? WOW!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48647

fuck, that could actually be a choice piece of casting.

Mitchified
04-Mar-2011, 02:11 PM
fuck, that could actually be a choice piece of casting.

The only downside is now I want to hear him yell "KNEEL BEFORE VIGO!" instead.

I was almost expecting them to go with someone like Gerard Butler as Zod (which wouldn't be that bad, really), but this really is better.

bassman
04-Mar-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm still hoping they DONT go with Zod. Nothing against the character, I'm just wanting to see some more of the universe explored. But knowing Nolan and Goyer's style, even if they do have Zod there will still be several other villains.

Danny
04-Mar-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm still hoping they DONT go with Zod. Nothing against the character, I'm just wanting to see some more of the universe explored. But knowing Nolan and Goyer's style, even if they do have Zod there will still be several other villains.

beats yet another film with luthor. have they done brainiac in the films yet?

bassman
04-Mar-2011, 03:35 PM
beats yet another film with luthor.

I wouldn't be surprised if Luthor is involved in this new film. I doubt he would be the main villain, but he could be something similar to Carmine Falcone in Batman Begins.

have they done brainiac in the films yet?

No. Originally Brainiac was going to be in Superman 3, but they dropped all that in favor of the Superman vs Superman and Richard Pryor storyline.

Mitchified
04-Mar-2011, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Luthor is involved in this new film. I doubt he would be the main villain, but he could be something similar to Carmine Falcone in Batman Begins.

This would be a nice change of pace, instead of the Superman movie status quo which seems to be "Luthor is barely threatening at all and can only concentrate on trying to steal and/or create real estate".

The comics and even the animated DC universe portray Luthor as a brilliant and extremely logic-based villain that is constantly able to out-think pretty much everyone. When you get right down to it, he's probably the single most intelligent character that DC has to offer with the exception of Bruce Wayne. Can we please, please have a movie where Luthor thinks about more than making random amounts of money off of real estate schemes and other such mundane activities?

Give us the man that has brought Superman to his knees and has actually bested the Man of Steel multiple times in the past. See the trailer for DC Universe Online for a good example. He managed to kill Superman by shoving kryptonite down Wonder Woman's corpse. That's the kind of Luthor that I want to see.

Doc
30-Mar-2011, 02:57 AM
Geez, some anal comicbook fans will complain about everything. The Amy Adams bashing has started! "OMGOSH! SHEZ TO OLD!"

MoonSylver
30-Mar-2011, 05:15 AM
Geez, some anal comicbook fans will complain about everything. The Amy Adams bashing has started! "OMGOSH! SHEZ TO OLD!"

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/moonsylver/mySuperLamePic_df78d0b4e1eed15d2ca81fe50d8a6a04.jp g

:rockbrow: :lol:

bassman
30-Mar-2011, 12:01 PM

That's not just comic book fans. That's the internet in general. :p

I've got no problem with her casting really, it's just kinda came out of left field. She's definitely a solid actress, so i'm game. It will be interesting to see if they dye her hair to a darker color or leave her as a redhead.

So far i'm actually pleased with the casting of this new film. I don't know much about the new Supes but Adams as Lois, Costner as Pa Kent, and Lane as Ma Kent are pretty good, imo. Now if we could just get some sort of conformation on the villain(s) and who will play him...

MoonSylver
30-Mar-2011, 12:08 PM
That's not just comic book fans. That's the internet in general. :p

Y'know, I'm tired of hearing people complain about the internet. I don't like it. I wish they'd stop. :mad:

See what I did there?:p

bassman
30-Mar-2011, 12:11 PM
Dude, that gif is creepy. The wife has a friend that looks just like that girl. I'm talking Identical...

MoonSylver
30-Mar-2011, 12:13 PM
Dude, that gif is creepy. The wife has a friend that looks just like that girl. I'm talking Identical...

Ssssh, leave my sig out of this. She's trying to figure out wtf I'm talking about. ;)

Mitchified
30-Mar-2011, 02:49 PM

It's most likely the same people that complained about Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker.

I don't have a problem with Amy Adams whatsoever, she's a great actress and will do the part well, but Olivia Wilde was up for the part as well and, to me, she just seems like a better fit as Lois Lane. It's not just the hair, either.

Doc
31-Mar-2011, 12:59 AM
AH GOD! The bashing for Legder was worse 1000X! Even the complaining of Hathaway, Adams, and Cavill combined can't even the reach the level of negative, and xenophobic comments reached when Ledger was announced as, the Joker!

"What! that Gayz cowboyz!"

"THIS IS GONNA SUCK! THEY CASTED BROKEBACK JOKER!"

bassman
03-Apr-2011, 03:14 AM
Snyder said: "Let me just say one thing about Superman: he can't do anything that's not a visual effect. He can walk around and talk, but if he's going to do something physical, that's a visual effect, because he's Superman.
"I think in the past people have tried to figure out how to do that with strings and putting cars on hydraulics and having him stand under it, but we're really trying to work on a way of doing this that really makes that feel real."

He added: "[We're] trying to understand the actual physics of what would have to happen for those things to happen. It just brings reality to that whole concept of picking up a car or whatever. That's gotta be completely based on reality."

Say wha??

Nolan....please pull this guy together. It seems like he has good intentions, but he still seems lost...

blind2d
04-Apr-2011, 02:27 PM
Honestly... I really don't care about actors anymore. I like characters. Reality can kiss my ass.

Mitchified
04-Apr-2011, 02:48 PM
Say wha??

Nolan....please pull this guy together. It seems like he has good intentions, but he still seems lost...

As much as I love to jump on the Trash Snyder bandwagon (and I do!), if I understand what he's saying correctly, I think that he's right.

One of the things that all the previous Superman movies haven't done well is giving the audience a sense of just how ridiculously strong Superman is, and how much force he does things with. The Richard Donner movies and the sequels that followed couldn't do this simply because the technology wasn't present to do so, and it wasn't done in Superman Returns because, well... Actually, I don't know why it wasn't. Maybe it took away from the voyeurism of staring through house walls to stalk the ex.

As much as I disliked the movie, Jumper had one thing going for it: the sense that the powers had an actual effect on the environment around the user. If Superman is picking up a car and flinging it at Brainiac, his fingers need to crush into the metal to allow him to pick it up and it needs to hit with an incredible impact. The Man of Steel just threw an automobile at you, that would leave a mark no matter who you are. If he smashes his fist into the street, the whole damn area street needs to be torn to shreds. Full-force punches should create freaking sonic booms.

I think that's what Snyder was trying to say, and I agree whole-heartedly.

bassman
04-Apr-2011, 02:59 PM
Returns didn't have a sense of his strength? I disagree with that. He stopped a 747, flew with a car, lifted a sinking ship from the water, and launched an island the size of Texas into space. That's a pretty good show of strength, if you ask me. It could have used a villain to have the fight you mentioned, but it certainly wasn't lacking any display of his powers....

I just don't get what Snyder's saying about the physics of it all and how everything he does should be a visual effect. I don't want a superman that is some neanderthal destroying Metropolis in an endless fight sequence. I want to see that epic fight, but Superman needs to have internal conflict as well. Not ninety minutes of "Hulk smash".

Mitchified
04-Apr-2011, 04:07 PM
Returns didn't have a sense of his strength? I disagree with that. He stopped a 747, flew with a car, lifted a sinking ship from the water, and launched an island the size of Texas into space. That's a pretty good show of strength, if you ask me. It could have used a villain to have the fight you mentioned, but it certainly wasn't lacking any display of his powers....

I just don't get what Snyder's saying about the physics of it all and how everything he does should be a visual effect. I don't want a superman that is some neanderthal destroying Metropolis in an endless fight sequence. I want to see that epic fight, but Superman needs to have internal conflict as well. Not ninety minutes of "Hulk smash".

I'm not saying that it didn't display his power set. There just wasn't this sense of...I dunno how to describe it. Weight, maybe. The Incredible Hulk is a great example of how to do it. Every time the Hulk did anything requiring superhuman strength, the way it was handled made it actually feel like absolutely ridiculous strength of being used and the impact of whatever was happening could be felt. It was something as simple as how the action sequences were directed and it made a huge difference. Superman should be the same way when it comes to action sequences.

Here's why I don't think that Snyder is saying that literally everything should be a visual effect:

He can walk around and talk, but if he's going to do something physical, that's a visual effect, because he's Superman.

It's this line that makes me think what he's really saying is that every time Superman uses one of his powers, it should be an event and affect things around him in a visual effect. Which is what I agree with, every time Superman does anything action-oriented, it should be major.

Rancid Carcass
04-Apr-2011, 04:30 PM
Superman needs to have internal conflict as well.

Didn't Snyder just do that in Sucker Punch? ...Might be a good idea to leave the internal stuff alone on this one! :shifty:

MoonSylver
04-Apr-2011, 05:29 PM
Didn't Snyder just do that in Sucker Punch? ...Might be a good idea to leave the internal stuff alone on this one! :shifty:

He said SUPERMAN should have an internal conflict, not the audience, i.e they want to throw up. :lol:

blind2d
05-Apr-2011, 02:10 AM
every time Superman does anything action-oriented, it should be major.

...Like in 'Superman Returns'...

Mitchified
07-Apr-2011, 03:30 PM
...Like in 'Superman Returns'...

No, not like in Superman Returns. The scene where he attempts to stop the plane was a supposed "big strength" moment, and yet it came off as having less force behind it than, say, Iron Man simply flying.

bassman
07-Apr-2011, 03:55 PM
The plane folded and crumbled under Superman's hands. Seemed pretty forceful, imo.

Mitchified
07-Apr-2011, 04:59 PM
The plane folded and crumbled under Superman's hands. Seemed pretty forceful, imo.

I think the issue is I'm not explaining myself very well. That is, as the kids say these days, "my bad".

For the record, I liked Superman Returns, and I don't think it gets the credit it deserves. I thought that Bryan Singer did a fairly good job with it, although as I've stated in the past I really dislike the way that Lex Luthor was portrayed almost more like a random crime boss than one of the most intelligent villains in the world. Real estate scam? That's the best that he could come up with? Really?

Where I thought the movie failed was when it came to showing Superman's powers. All the technical details were there. As you mentioned, the plane was breaking apart and he was obviously doing some damage to it. Where it came up short was really emphasizing just how spectacular the things he was doing were.

The best example that I can think of is the bullet that he takes to the eye. Yeah, it showed him as being super strong. What that scene lacked, though, was showing the force of the bullet actually striking him. Now, to be fair, some of that is because Singer went with the slowdown effect and, in my opinion, that took away from it a bit. But still, a high-powered round was just sent into the guy's face. In the comics, Superman isn't hurt by bullets and explosions, but he still obeys the laws of physics to the point that they can make him stumble and twist away from the impact. The walking statue approach makes it seem so much less impressive visually, at least to me.

Take Incredible Hulk, for example. In the scene on the college campus, he's getting shelled by tanks and other heavy weaponry. He stumbles around, he gets taken off his feet a few times, but he keeps coming. It's just so much more impressive to watch and, in a lot of ways, makes him seem that much more dangerous.

Plus the Hulk is technically stronger than Superman when he really gets going, but that's just comic book geekdom speaking.

The plane scene in Superman Returns was the same way for me. Sure, what Superman is doing is logically impressive. He's stopping a plane/rocket/chick from La Femme Nikita combination with his bare hands. However, I personally didn't really feel like he was doing anything phenomenal. There just didn't seem to be any "force" behind the scene. The plane/rocket/chick should have seemed like it had so much momentum behind it and that it was this giant struggle to get it to stop, but for me it was kind of like, "Oh, okay, he stopped it, cool."

EDIT: This just occurred to me. Maybe part of my problem with the way that it was done is that Superman didn't seem to have the kind of "presence" that he should have. He was kind of portrayed as "a" superhero instead of "the" superhero, if that makes any sense. I don't know if it was the acting, the directing, or the writing that caused that to happen, but it really did make everything Superman did seem less impressive.

Doc
11-Apr-2011, 05:21 AM
Kneel Before Recycled Villain!:p

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110410005083/en/Michael-Shannon-Star-General-Zod-%E2%80%9CMan-Steel%E2%80%9D

Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures announced today that Michael Shannon will star in the role of General Zod in director Zack Snyder’s new Superman film, titled “Man of Steel.”

“Zod is not only one of Superman’s most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman that others don’t. Michael is a powerful actor who can project both the intelligence and the malice of the character, making him perfect for the role.”

Neil
11-Apr-2011, 09:35 AM
Kneel Before Recycled Villain!:p

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110410005083/en/Michael-Shannon-Star-General-Zod-%E2%80%9CMan-Steel%E2%80%9D

Going to be interesting!

bassman
11-Apr-2011, 12:46 PM
I was hoping for a new villain, but I love the casting! Shannon is awesome and will no doubt do the character justice.

Mitchified
11-Apr-2011, 02:35 PM
Definitely a nice bit of casting. It also has the side benefit of people not running around yelling, "Kneel before Vigo!" Ah well, maybe someone will splice it into a clip from the second Ghostbusters movie.

The only part that makes me raise an eyebrow is this:

Zod is not only one of Superman’s most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman that others don’t.

While that's not necessarily wrong (although there are a number of villains more formidable in Superman's rogues gallery), they're really relying on the older movies for fan recognition. Despite having show up in the Donner movies decades ago, Zod is a relatively recent addition to the comics and, compared to someone like Darkseid or Brainiac, hasn't done all that much.

Neil
12-Apr-2011, 11:29 AM
fx8MPa3fECA

bassman
12-Apr-2011, 12:24 PM
Great video, Neil. I knew this guy is a great actor but he seems like a genuinely cool and funny guy too. Can't wait to see what he does with the role.

And going back to the "is/isn't it a remake of Superman II?" thing, Screenrant (http://screenrant.com/superman-man-of-steel-zod-michael-shannon-kofi-110303/) posted a great article discussing why this incarnation of Zod and the story of 'Man of Steel' will most likely be VERY different from that of Superman II. It's a bit lengthy, but worth the time if you're a fan and have any issues with them using a villain previously seen on screen.

People have long been complaining about the lack of a truly epic Superman battle onscreen, and yet, now that we have a villain who can literally match the Man of Steel eye to eye (heat vision), hand to hand (super strength) and toe to toe (on the ground or in the air), the big reaction has been…disappointment? Really? The Matrix Revolutions showed us some great possibilities for a fight scene featuring two supermen (see HERE) – and that was back in 2003. What could be done today using Zod, Ursa (and possibly Non) vs. Superman is just…awesome to imagine.

bassman
04-Aug-2011, 02:16 PM
First look at the Man of Steel:

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/0804supes.jpg

LARGE VERSION (http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/0804supes-big.jpg)

I.....don't know what to say really. I mean, it LOOKS like Superman. But why does the suit look like snake skin? Loving the bigger 'S' shield. Long cape? No undies? Can't wait to see this thing in motion...

Danny
04-Aug-2011, 02:18 PM
trying to make it looks like the post flashpoint costume.

Neil
04-Aug-2011, 03:37 PM
Like the fact he doesn't look too much of a pretty boy. Not so sure about the suit!? sort of looks Spiderman'esque!?

bassman
04-Aug-2011, 04:40 PM
WB put out a press release confirming the cast. Russell Crowe confirmed as Jor El. :thumbsup:

Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures have provided the first look at the new “Man of Steel,” revealing star Henry Cavill as Superman in the film from director Zack Snyder. The film also stars three-time Oscar® nominee Amy Adams (“The Fighter”) as Daily Planet journalist Lois Lane, and Oscar® nominee Laurence Fishburne (“What’s Love Got to Do with It”) as her editor-in-chief, Perry White. Starring as Clark Kent’s adoptive parents, Martha and Jonathan Kent, are Oscar® nominee Diane Lane (“Unfaithful”) and Academy Award® winner Kevin Costner (“Dances with Wolves”).

Squaring off against the superhero are two other surviving Kryptonians, the villainous General Zod, played by Oscar® nominee Michael Shannon (“Revolutionary Road”), and Faora, Zod’s evil partner, played by Antje Traue. Also from Superman’s native Krypton are Lara Lor-Van, Superman’s mother, played by Julia Ormond, and Superman’s father, Jor-El, portrayed by Academy Award® winner Russell Crowe (“Gladiator”).

Rounding out the cast are Harry Lennix as U.S. military man General Swanwick, as well as Christopher Meloni as Colonel Hardy.

“Man of Steel” is being produced by Charles Roven, Emma Thomas, Christopher Nolan and Deborah Snyder. The screenplay was written by David S. Goyer, from a story by Goyer and Nolan, based upon Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster and published by DC Comics. Thomas Tull and Lloyd Phillips are serving as executive producers.

The movie was also pushed back to June 2013.

rongravy
04-Aug-2011, 08:47 PM
Russell Crowe, fightin' round the universe...
Wonder if Old Tugga is gonna be there.
I want this to be good. Why put him and Fishburne in it?

Mitchified
10-Aug-2011, 01:45 AM
Why put him and Fishburne in it?

Fishburne is in it because nothing says "elderly white curmudgeon newspaper editor" like Lawrence Fisburne.

I don't want to see Russel Crowe as Jor-El. I want to see him fight Superman as Russel Crowe.

bassman
10-Aug-2011, 12:00 PM
Fishburne is in it because nothing says "elderly white curmudgeon newspaper editor" like Lawrence Fisburne.

I don't see why race is a problem? Sure, it would be odd if they made Superman black, but for a smaller character like Perry White I don't think it should be an issue. It's all about the acting and cast as a whole, anyway. Which, if I do say so myself, is shaping up to be one helluva cast!

bassman
24-Aug-2011, 01:34 PM
First look at Superman on set. There are definitely no red briefs. Also a look at villainess, Faora. Why is Zod mo-cap but Faora is wearing clothes? :rockbrow:

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/1205/31327023806405623880422.jpg

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/4286/31592023806407623880222.jpg

blind2d
25-Aug-2011, 01:00 AM
From these pictures... Looks like it's going to be shit.

rongravy
25-Aug-2011, 04:50 AM
Booooooooo, he needs the red undies.
It'd be funny if they made it more like a red thong.

bassman
25-Aug-2011, 01:17 PM
From these pictures... Looks like it's going to be shit.

But they're just spy pictures? You mean you think the suit looks like sh*t? I think it's pretty cool with the exception of the snake skin texture. But the shield and cape look fantastic.

Booooooooo, he needs the red undies.

They've also removed his undies in the upcoming reboot of the comic series. So at least it won't be that far off from the source. I would be okay with the undies, but I guess they look a bit sissy these days. Minor change. At least they widened the shield and cave him a cape that will actually move in the wind...

AfterMovieDiner
25-Aug-2011, 02:47 PM
I would say it's going to be shit because it's Zack Snyder and therefor there will be lots of annoying slow mo, way too much CGI, a loud grating soundtrack, a poor script, a colour palette that makes the whole thing look like a video game and absolutely no soul. Apart from that, it should be good.

bassman
25-Aug-2011, 03:21 PM
Chris Nolan helped write the script and is producing. There is hope.

AcesandEights
25-Aug-2011, 03:33 PM
I would say it's going to be shit because it's Zack Snyder and therefor there will be lots of annoying slow mo, way too much CGI, a loud grating soundtrack, a poor script, a colour palette that makes the whole thing look like a video game and absolutely no soul. Apart from that, it should be good.

I thought Snyder did a fine job with both Dawn 04 and Watchmen, though he needs a good leash to keep him anchored on most projects.

Anyone read the script? I don't even know if it's been leaked, or what.

bassman
25-Aug-2011, 04:06 PM
Anyone read the script? I don't even know if it's been leaked, or what.

It's not out yet. I doubt that it ever will be. If Nolan is treating it like he does his Batman scripts, there are only a few copies, they're all kept locked away, and they're printed on red/black ink/paper so they can't be xeroxed. On the Begins special features he says that the Warner Brothers executives had to come to his house to read the script. They didn't even have a whole copy at the studios. Dude really likes to keeps his films a surprise.

blind2d
26-Aug-2011, 12:34 PM
Which is to his credit.
But Zzznyder me no likey. And Dawn '04 is crap. And no, not just the costumes, bass. But yeah... them too. Boots look funny to me.

Neil
31-Aug-2011, 12:34 PM
More images of the outfit - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Man-Of-Steel-Set-Photos-Reveal-Details-Of-The-New-Suit-26507.html

bassman
31-Aug-2011, 01:15 PM
It's different, but it works for me. I remember a lot of people were upset with the Superman Returns suit because it didn't look like it was made by Ma Kent. They're really not gonna like this. Of course maybe it will be explained in the film that Jor El sent the completed Kryptonian suit with baby Kal El? I dunno...

My favorite parts of the new look are the large shield and Cavill himself. Even though I like Superman Returns and the original series, Cavill seems to fit the suit and tough look of Superman better than Reeves or Routh ever did. He looks like he could really do some damage. My least favorite part is that the 'S' shielf is still missing from the cape. I dunno why, but I really want that thing back on the cape.

Still interested to know who's the guy in the mo-cap suit....

AcesandEights
31-Aug-2011, 01:42 PM
I actually think the suit is the best live-action Supes outfit I recall seeing.

Trancelikestate
02-Sep-2011, 03:40 AM
New pics:
http://www.ology.com/screen/superman-man-steel-photos-leaked

bassman
05-Oct-2011, 12:17 PM
Gladiator-el?

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/crowe%20costume1.jpg

AcesandEights
05-Oct-2011, 01:49 PM
Damn, Russell Crowe is a twat.

bassman
05-Oct-2011, 04:22 PM
Damn, Russell Crowe is a twat.

:lol:

Because of the picture or just in general?

Crowe's not so bad. Mainly for 3:10 to Yuma. Fantastic flick.

AcesandEights
05-Oct-2011, 04:34 PM
:lol:

Because of the picture or just in general?

Just in general :) He's fairly talented, I agree. And 3:10 to Yuma did indeed kick shedloads of ass.

I certainly wouldn't assume a Superman movie would be worse for his inclusion, either.

SymphonicX
06-Oct-2011, 09:18 AM
I'd rather have Crowe on the project that that talentless music video c**t Snyder.
Sometimes I think I'm the only person in the world who sees through him...The best stuff he's done was written by other people - which is why this movie still has a bit of hope, but only barely. The guy is as deep as pound coin. Motherf**cker.

bassman
06-Oct-2011, 12:09 PM
Symph, you're definitely not the only one. In fact, I think most people on HPotD or on the internet in general would agree with you. He's all flash.

He did mention in interviews that he's stepping outside of his comfort zone with this one(thank god), so i'm definitely curious to see where he takes it. He's supposedly going more "real" with it. Hopefully that means only half of his usual slow-mo....

Neil
16-May-2012, 07:58 PM
Some interesting reports on AICN - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55750

Last night at a VFX conference there was a sizzle reel shown by Weta. In this sizzle reel there were two beta level(most likely from a trailer) clips shown. One only about 6 seconds long, the other much longer.

The former was Clark Kent grabbing a truck with a crying man inside of it while flying through the middle of a tornado. It looked incredible. Henry Cavill can fly, and he can hold a truck in one arm. Zack Snyder brings his usual visual flair, but somehow is still unlike anything he has made before. It felt like a Superman comic. Real heroism.

[EDIT]

The longer clip was even more stunning, but the more I think about it, slightly concerning. The clip consisted of Superman in full costume in a verbal argument with Zod in the center of Smallville with Christopher Meloni yells at them through a megaphone next to a tank. Meloni warns them he will fire if they do not surrender. While he says this Zod sizes Superman up. Shannon looks evil as he can be. Bone chilling even.

And is DEFINITELY sporting enhanced muscle. Cavill’s Superman is a wonderful sight to behold in motion. Cavill’s pure size makes him the most believable Superman to date. Zod speaks in Kryptonian “Do you know your native tongue, Kal-el?” Superman looks stunned, and responds in English, “Who are you?” (there isn’t enough Superman dialogue to judge Cavill’s performance fairly, but I’d say he did well.

[EDIT]

It doesn’t look glossy like his films do. It instead has a more clean cut, colorful look. Like Thor, or Iron Man. But it is the same slow-mo styling that people expect from him.

bassman
16-May-2012, 08:17 PM
Damn, I was really hoping he would lay off the slow-mo a bit. It could be cool during a superman fight, but I just don't want to see it overused. Like always with Snyder....

Neil
16-May-2012, 08:35 PM
Damn, I was really hoping he would lay off the slow-mo a bit. It could be cool during a superman fight, but I just don't want to see it overused. Like always with Snyder....

We'll see... A bit of slow mo could work wonders!

AcesandEights
16-May-2012, 08:45 PM
We'll see... A bit of slow mo could work wonders!

Then prepare for a miracle...and then some! :p

Sammich
16-May-2012, 09:18 PM
Pretty soon entire films will be made in slow motion. This will help lots of t.v. commercial and music video directors break into the movie business as they can stretch out their usual 30 second and 3 minute productions into a full 2 hours.

Neil
16-May-2012, 09:54 PM
then prepare for a miracle...and then some! :p

lol!!

Mr.G
17-May-2012, 01:46 AM
Any chance we get a teaser before the new Batman movie?

bassman
17-May-2012, 01:52 AM
Any chance we get a teaser before the new Batman movie?

About a 99.9% chance that we will, I would guess.

bassman
30-Jun-2012, 04:54 PM
I found this to be an interesting article about the future "dark" or "real" Superman: http://www.movies.com/movie-news/39man-steel39-countdown-what-darker-superman/8548

Although Superman can be darker than he was in the 1950s and '60s, he must continue to hold true to the basics. The circumstance around him can be darkened, but as I’ve said before, he must be the bright shining beacon of hope in the middle of that darkness. That’s his purpose. It’s who he is and what he exists for. He inspires hope in the Universe he inhabits and for the real-life fans who enjoy his stories. And if that is removed, you might as well create another character and call him something else because it’s no longer Superman

bassman
15-Jul-2012, 04:02 AM
Teaser poster:

http://supermanhomepage.com/images/man-of-steel-movie3/120714-MOSposter.jpg

It's being taken down by Warner Brothers, but I was lucky enough to see the new trailer out of comic con. This looks nothing like previous Superman films. It really is "Superman Begins". The familiar horns from Zimmer's scores gives it a nice touch of emotion. It gave me goosebumps. Can't wait to see it on the big screen in a few days...

Paraphrasing the narration from different characters: "What if a child dreams of becoming something more than what society had intended? What if the child aspired to become something greater?"(this sounds like Jor El, I believe)

(Clark/Kal-El/Supes)
"My father believed that if the world ever found out who I really was....they would reject me. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready.....What do you think?" MAN OF STEEL

Also - no slow motion! I'm shocked, honestly. Judging from the trailer, this doesn't look like previous Snyder films. I guess he was serious when he said he was going outside of the box for this one.

krisvds
15-Jul-2012, 04:43 AM
And now it's Superman who looks like a basketball. apparently he and Spidey have the same tailor.

bassman
15-Jul-2012, 04:56 AM
And now it's Superman who looks like a basketball. apparently he and Spidey have the same tailor.

Did you honestly expect tight spandex? That was never going to happen.

All things considered, I think they did a good job converting the suit for the current audience. It's updated for a new generation, yet still very reminiscent of the classic designs. His cape flows beautifully in the trailer, too.

krisvds
15-Jul-2012, 12:36 PM
Did you honestly expect tight spandex? .

No. To be honest I couldn't care less about yet another superhero dressed in the American flag.
Especially in a 'Zack Snyder' directed film.

bassman
22-Jul-2012, 01:19 AM
I'm with you on the Snyder thing. Fingers crossed that Nolan's guidance keeps Snyder in order. I do enjoy Watchmen, but that's about it for Snyder.

-- -------- Post added 21-Jul-2012 at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was 15-Jul-2012 at 08:45 AM ----------

If you've seen or plan on seeing The Dark Knight Rises....this is the teaser you'll see. There are two versions, both with the same visuals, but one with narration by Pa Kent(Kevin Costner) and the other by Jor El(Russell Crowe). I saw the Costner version in my screening, but I prefer the Crowe version.

Pa Kent/Costner:
zpvOT6HJCmg

Jor El/Crowe:
Zld8i2mRxb0

The teaser looks beautiful, much different from Snyder's usual films, but I was expecting more action because they've been trying to distance themselves from the Donner-verse. For a teaser, i'm pleased. Can't wait to see more.

krisvds
22-Jul-2012, 06:32 AM
I'm with you on the Snyder thing. Fingers crossed that Nolan's guidance keeps Snyder in order. I do enjoy Watchmen, but that's about it for Snyder.

-- -------- Post added 21-Jul-2012 at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was 15-Jul-2012 at 08:45 AM ----------

If you've seen or plan on seeing The Dark Knight Rises....this is the teaser you'll see. There are two versions, both with the same visuals, but one with narration by Pa Kent(Kevin Costner) and the other by Jor El(Russell Crowe). I saw the Costner version in my screening, but I prefer the Crowe version.

The teaser looks beautiful, much different from Snyder's usual films, but I was expecting more action because they've been trying to distance themselves from the Donner-verse. For a teaser, i'm pleased. Can't wait to see more.

Well, colour me surprised. Those look beautiful. No videogame stuff in there and a certain Terence Malick beauty to the shots (the butterfly, Camera panning low over the grass, ...)
Not at all what I was expecting.

bassman
24-Jul-2012, 01:13 PM
I giggled....

http://i45.tinypic.com/30m6eli.gif

http://i50.tinypic.com/fay8f9.jpg

SymphonicX
25-Jul-2012, 09:24 PM
^^

omg, that is awesome.
I kinda liked the pants though.

bassman
03-Oct-2012, 01:12 AM
Nothing particularly new, but writer David S. Goyer spoke a bit about the tone they're going for...

We always had a naturalistic approach, we want our stories to be rooted in reality, like they could happen in the same world we live in," he said at a panel for his Da Vinci's Demons show.

"It's not that easy with Superman, and actually this doesn't necessarily mean we will make a dark movie. But working on this reboot we are thinking about what would happen if a story like this one actually happened. How would people react to this? What impact would the presence of Superman have in the real world?

"What I really like to do is writing 'genre' stories without a cartoonish element. I did the same with Da Vinci's Demons, and I'll do the same with Man of Steel

ProfessorChaos
03-Oct-2012, 03:59 AM
any word on when we can expect a full trailer? looking forward to seeing a bit more footage, because after re-watching the teaser, my excitement levels are creeping back up.

bassman
03-Oct-2012, 11:57 AM
Judging by WB's past tentpole movie trailers, I'm guessing it will be in December with The Hobbit.

AcesandEights
03-Oct-2012, 01:20 PM
Superman has become so tough to handle from a film perspective nowadays, as alluded to in the quote you posted above, Bassman, but I get this weird feeling that this film could, maybe possibly, under optimal conditions actually do it. I mean, I'm kind of bored of the premise and the character, but I'll be happy if they manage to put a movie together that doesn't have me checking my watch halfway through.

bassman
03-Oct-2012, 02:29 PM
The impact that a super-powered alien(s) would have in the "real" world sounds like a great angle to approach it from. I can certainly see how Nolan and Goyer's script could play well with that premise. This may just end up being Superman's Dark Knight Trilogy, so to speak.

Doing his rounds for "Argo"(and addressing the rumor of helming Justice League), Ben Affleck says that he's seen a bit of MOS and thought it was "awesome". He says a Justice League film seems to be trying to duplicate the success of The Avengers, but if they approach it in the "really cool, real approach to Superman, which no one has done before", JL could be great. So in other words, he's skeptical of JL but thought MOS looked amazing. Sounds good...

The wait for a full trailer is killing me.

AcesandEights
03-Oct-2012, 02:37 PM
He says a Justice League film seems to be trying to duplicate the success of The Avengers, but if they approach it in the "really cool, real approach to Superman, which no one has done before", JL could be great. So in other words, he's skeptical of JL but thought MOS looked amazing. Sounds good...

I know I sound like a broken record saying they should do a Kingdom Come script every time they mention the JL, but even if they just cribbed heavily from the premise it could be so damned amazing. That'd take a lot of set up though, but what great themes! I'm not even a huge DC guy, but if done right I'd nergasm...I'd nerdgasm hard :thumbsup:

:lol: TMI

bassman
03-Dec-2012, 06:34 PM
New poster...

http://cdn.superherohype.com/images/stories/2012/December/manofsteelpostersmallnew.jpg?1354561315

This is actually from one of my favorite shots from the comic con trailer. Supes being led down a hall by a ton of soldiers...

Trancelikestate
03-Dec-2012, 11:22 PM
Is that one posted anywhere by chance?

ProfessorChaos
03-Dec-2012, 11:40 PM

it's on youtube, but it's somebody's phone video or something. me n the gf are going to see the hobbit, looking forward to seeing the new trailer on the big screen.

dude still needs his red drawers, though.

bassman
03-Dec-2012, 11:50 PM

The comic con trailer? If you google you should be able to find it. It's bootleg of course, but it's pretty cool. It should have been the first teaser they released.

It has bits of the released teaser, young clark saving a school bus, supes and zod fighting through the air, clark shirtless and on fire, supes slamming into the bank vault(first promo image), supes and Lois kissing, Clark discovering his ship that brought him to Earth, Supes enterting the new Fortress of Solitude(which appears to be a large ship), etc. Lots of goodies in there. You should come up with quite a bit with a google search.

The video is still available if you keep looking, but in the mean time there are these images:
http://i.imgur.com/08D5i.gif
http://i.minus.com/i0PUarQKZ0Hn1.gif
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-T-LDFbR5UzE/UAzKUjHua_I/AAAAAAAAcBg/0Iyvoh5cNNA/s400/man-of-steel-comic-con-teaser4.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1gZEvCjPXuQ/UAzKUy1TZ0I/AAAAAAAAcBg/H8tI6RQdnC4/s400/man-of-steel-comic-con-teaser5.jpg

kaushalsingh
04-Dec-2012, 01:20 PM
new superman is liked my many viewers. It is a hit among stunt lovers,the action sequence is also appreciable,all mentioned makes it a must watch.

MoonSylver
04-Dec-2012, 09:20 PM
dude still needs his red drawers, though.

Agreed. No only is it an iconic costume, but the red right there close to center body mass offsets all the blue & gives it some symetry. I know they're trying to update the look. It worked ok for The Batman, with his darker & more comamentlary colors, but it's more visually offputting on Superman IMO.

THat said, it does seem to look a little better on film than in does in the comics. Not sure why though.

bassman
04-Dec-2012, 10:15 PM
After seeing Nolan's overall story for Bruce Wayne.....I'm really giddy with excitement to see what he has in store for Clark Kent.

Nolan absolutely nailed Bruce Wayne. I assume he'll do the same with Kent.

krisvds
05-Dec-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm lookink forward to it after seeing the slow motion - less teaser (surprising for a Zack Snyder film) but ma, I really don't like the new suit.

bassman
05-Dec-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm lookink forward to it after seeing the slow motion - less teaser (surprising for a Zack Snyder film) but ma, I really don't like the new suit.

What is it about the new suit that puts you off? I think they've done a fine job with it. My only complaint being the lack of trousers, but I guess that was to be expected. The new 52 Superman doesn't have them either, so it's not all that much of a change, imo. Other than that I think they've nailed the suit. I love the larger "S" shield(Superman Returns' was too small) and even the design of the shield is beautiful, imo.

krisvds
05-Dec-2012, 12:18 PM
It's the basketball thing...

bassman
05-Dec-2012, 12:26 PM
Yeah, but you know spandex was never an option. Plus, if what I;ve heard is true, it will be somewhat explained within the film. It's a kind of Kryptonian battle armor, that's why it's indestructible and has a sort of chainmail look to it.

AcesandEights
05-Dec-2012, 01:22 PM
Yeah, but you know spandex was never an option. Plus, if what I;ve heard is true, it will be somewhat explained within the film. It's a kind of Kryptonian battle armor, that's why it's indestructible and has a sort of chainmail look to it.

I like that angle quite a bit, actually.

I can't even recall the last time I ever truly looked forward to a new Superman movie? Did I ever? Well, I like what I see so far :)

krisvds
06-Dec-2012, 07:17 AM
Hmmmm. The chainmail thing sounds better than a basketball I must say.
Very curious to how this will turn out. Superman is just such a hard character to bring to life: he's just too invulnerable ...
It must be hard to find a believable nemesis for the guy. Then again it's been ages since I read any of the comic books. Apart from fellow Kryptonians or Kryptonite little on earth was ever a real , 'believable' threat to the guy ...

bassman
11-Dec-2012, 04:07 PM
Full Length Trailer

KVu3gS7iJu4

I would have liked more of Zod and Faora, but my pants are still officially soiled.

Danny
11-Dec-2012, 04:55 PM
The dude sounds a little 'gruff' in the voice for a "mild mannered boyscout from kansas" or whatever, but man thats a nice looking flick. Not been excited for a superman flick in a long time. Though personally id rather see luther as the bad guy. The antithesis of the normal human with the genius intellect poisoned by xenophobia and a bizaare god meets inferiority complex from lex was such an interesting counterpoint to clark who, whilst having near godlike power, was easily the more 'human' of the two. I just find their clashes so much more interesting than 'zods' "the strongest should rule with an iron fist" 1 dimensional motivation.

MoonSylver
11-Dec-2012, 09:26 PM
Nice looking trailer. I'm tentatively looking forward to it.

The dude sounds a little 'gruff' in the voice for a "mild mannered boyscout from kansas" or whatever, but man thats a nice looking flick. Not been excited for a superman flick in a long time. Though personally id rather see luther as the bad guy. The antithesis of the normal human with the genius intellect poisoned by xenophobia and a bizaare god meets inferiority complex from lex was such an interesting counterpoint to clark who, whilst having near godlike power, was easily the more 'human' of the two. I just find their clashes so much more interesting than 'zods' "the strongest should rule with an iron fist" 1 dimensional motivation.

The more modern takes on Luthor, beyond the "wacky mad scientest" of old does make the perfect counterpoint to Superman. Sadly, they've gone to the well with him as "wacky real estate developer" a la Hackman so much so that he probably WOULDN'T have been a good fit right out of the gate for a reboot? Even Spacey's protrayal, while MUCH closer, still kind of awkwardly rode that line as they tried to make a new film that still matched up to the old ones...kinda...sorta... :|

Now if this film does well, based on what we see in the promos I could TOTALLY see how the coulf bring the modern Luthor on in a VERY credible way. :)

AcesandEights
12-Dec-2012, 01:21 PM
Looks nice! Very nice!

bassman
12-Dec-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm thinking Luthor will definitely be in the sequel. Much the same way Nolan started his Batman story with lesser known villains and then had the "main villain", The Joker, in the sequel. Hopefully there will be multiple villains per film in the trilogy. I can imagine Luthor being the Falconi/Maroni of the series while the superpowered villains give more of a physical threat. I seriously doubt they'll do an incarnation of Luthor in his super suit, anyway...

AcesandEights
12-Dec-2012, 03:45 PM
Luthor could be done well, but I'm glad they're giving him a bit of a rest.

http://www.n3rdgazm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Pres-Lex.jpg

ProfessorChaos
28-Dec-2012, 09:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeWpCJruFlw

Neil
04-Mar-2013, 10:44 AM
Could it actually be awesome? - http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/superman/24652/man-of-steel-early-reactions-man-of-steel-2-news

“Imagine a Nolan story with Snyder effects/action.”
“It’s the best movie of the year.”
“There’s tons of action with Superman kicking all kinds of ass in his suit.”
“The cape is CGI’d most of the time so it can look awesome.”
“They have intentionally left out most of the Super action in the trailers to save it.”
“It’s not nearly as dour and serious as the trailers suggest.”

bassman
04-Mar-2013, 11:40 AM
Yeah.....lots of rumors about that it could be just as big as Nolan's trilogy. Three months to go. :)

I've also just seen that Latino Review is reporting that Chris Nolan has officially signed on to "godfather" the entire DC film universe for Warner Brothers. They even say Bale will return for the Justice League film? I'm taking it with a pinch of salt, but man that would be amazing news....

bassman
15-Apr-2013, 03:48 PM
A small bit of viral advertising that premiered online yesterday and was aired during the commercials on the MTV movie awards. Not much, but I thought it was exceptionally creepy in a strange way. Sounds like Micheal Shannon just went with his natural voice, but I don't mind. He's creepy enough as it is....

d6g2ZSuWyM4

Of course it's blurry as hell, but is it just me or does is mask almost like like a Space Jockey at a few glances?

Oh, and one of the viral marketing sites has a Kryptonian timer that's counting down. Supposedly it will be the final trailer within the next 24-36 hours.

bassman
17-Apr-2013, 12:54 AM
MOS Trailer Three:

T6DJcgm3wNY

I'm not sure the handful of members here care anymore, but here it is...

Neil
17-Apr-2013, 08:16 AM
Fingers crossed! I just hope the fights don't come across as too CGI! That was my big problem with the Sam Raimi spider man films, and the Avengers. The fights just came across as CGI/computer game graphics.

bassman
17-Apr-2013, 09:29 AM
You've really got to let go, man. They can't make films like these without CGI anymore.

That being said, I've heard the film was edited and completed in January, so hopefully the effects companies took advantage of the last several months to make it better. It's a 200+ Million Dollar film, so I hope so.

Neil
17-Apr-2013, 11:11 AM
It's not the fact it's CGI, it's what they do with the CGI. Spiderman for example was just too bouncy/nippy and looked immune to real life physics etc...

MoonSylver
17-Apr-2013, 04:54 PM
It's not the fact it's CGI, it's what they do with the CGI. Spiderman for example was just too bouncy/nippy and looked immune to real life physics etc...

I thought Spidey moved quite realistically given how the the character moves & behaves from what we see in the comics...:confused:

rongravy
18-Apr-2013, 01:14 AM
Wow, looks supersnazzeh.
Andale.

Neil
22-May-2013, 08:35 AM
NlOF03DUoWc

Neil
24-May-2013, 08:16 AM
Early review at AICN - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62552

Overall, it’s gloriously flash and fun, bold and hallucinogenic, all the while having a touch of grit, grain and gravity. What it is is seriously geeky, and was probably made to appeal to Superman fans first and foremost. This is because it takes its mythology seriously. It’s a long movie, but it’s never boring. It does return to the greatness of the first two movies. I thought this movie delivered on what I was after all along: a physical match for Superman.

wayzim
29-May-2013, 08:13 PM
So I have this theory about why Snyder and Nolan could now do a big screen Superman, when for a long long time no one else could. It's called the Christopher Reeves Affect. Follow along now, as I'm not forgetting Brian Singer.

Back in 1978, Richard Donner showed the world that a Man could Fly ( without turning into a cartoon or using a springboard ), but more importantly he brought us an excellent actor in Chris, who could play the part without making it a joke ( unintentionally, that is. ) and we were happy little movie goers for at least two films. And even when Donner got dumped, it was Chris' insane and sincere devotion to the part which kept us coming back and hoping they'd get better again - because he was just so frigging good at it.

Now if he'd just left the franchise, found his little niche films to act in, Life would've gone on fine. But then our superman had to get thrown off his horse, become wheelchair bound and dependent on machines to even take a breath. And if he'd simply skulked off to some clinic or even into his home to make his private peace, life woulda gone on and we'd have gotten another movie superman - But he didn't.

What happened is that by becoming a crusader in real-life, Chris confounded reel life ( which somehow didn't seem to affect television greatly, since we had superboy in the eighties, lois and clark, and smallville after that ) so that no one could safely don the cape without looking like he was kicking the cripple (tongue in cheek )

Smallville did it's part to alleviate this by having Chris give his blessings, passing the torch ( so to speak ) in his role as Professor Swan, but still it wasn't enough to get a movie made - even when Christopher Reeves passed on. That is until Brian Singer made Superman Returns.

I loved that movie, liked Brandon in the lead, and thought Frank Langela as Perry White was beyond swell. But I also realized that what Singer had made; was less an homage than it was an exorcism of the ghost of Christopher Reeves. So what everyone got from this was a clean slate - so they could safely remake Superman in the image of this generation.

So that's my theory, which having said it I'll likely go give Man of Steel a fair chance to disappoint - I mean impress. At least they got Amy Adams to play Lois Lane - so that's a plus in Zack Snyder's favor.

Wayne Z

bassman
31-May-2013, 10:28 PM
Interesting theory, but I think it's just more that the studio didn't know how to make a superman film that stayed true to the core of the comic and took it's history seriously. It's not for a lack of trying, there were dozens of attempts over the years like Burton's Superman Lives and multiple scripts from JJ Abrams, McG, Joss Whedon, etc., but they were always rejected. The better scripts were rejected because Warner Brothers didn't have faith in the mythology of the character and wanted to completely change everything around to make it "modern". For example, they wanted Superman's suit to be black and have him be a stone cold killer....

When the Lawsuit between WB/DC and the creator's families came around, they had to make a decision and have a film out in x-amount of time or they would lose the rights. Simultaneously to that David Goyer mentioned to Nolan just for kicks how he thought a Nolan-ized version of Superman could work. They worked on it, then Nolan took it to WB and they of course jumped at the opportunity as The Dark Knight was the biggest movie in the world at the time.

I loved Christopher Reeve and everything he did for the character, but I don't see him as the only man that can play Kal El. He was an icon for his generation, but there's no reason the role can't be picked up by another actor and be just as good, or even greater than what came before.

bassman
05-Jun-2013, 10:37 AM
I managed to weasel my way into an early critics/press screening for tomorrow night, so i'll let you guys know what I think here pretty soon. Doing my best to keep expectations in check, but damn I'm excited. :hyper:

Neil
05-Jun-2013, 10:59 AM
^^ Christ even I'm excited by that!

wayzim
05-Jun-2013, 11:04 AM
^^ Christ even I'm excited by that!

And now I'm excited by you being excited about him being excited - something.

Wayne Z

AcesandEights
06-Jun-2013, 01:25 PM
I managed to weasel my way into an early critics/press screening for tomorrow night, so i'll let you guys know what I think here pretty soon. Doing my best to keep expectations in check, but damn I'm excited. :hyper:

So cool, Bassman! Very excited for you :)

I find my expectations starting to cool as opening weekend draws nigh. The curse of so many tepid Superman films weigh heavily upon my soul :p

A good Bassman review, however could turn that all around...

Neil
07-Jun-2013, 10:54 AM

Well?

bassman
07-Jun-2013, 10:56 AM
Okay, so I've seen it. I'm just going to go over a few points here and there and it will all be spoiler free....

- This is the least "Zack Snyder" film to date. Throughout most of the film you'd never even guess he made it.
- I didn't think about it until after, but I can't recall a single slow motion shot. In fact, the action is incredibly fast and jarring(in a good way).
- The photography was quite beautiful at times, but would also get a bit too far on the shaky side for me from time to time...
- People wanted a more physical superman and holy-friggin-crap, did they get it. We're talking sky scrapers demolished with single impacts.
- They took some liberties with the characters' established history, but there's only one thing I would really complain about(more on that later).
- As probably expected, the cast of mostly established actors is great. I was shocked by how much I enjoyed Costner and Crowe as Kal-El's fathers.
- Henry Cavill does an exceptional job holding his own against these respected actors.
- Michael Shannon is awesome as always and steals the show. He's the best kind of villain...you can sort of understand why he makes his choices and almost relate to him.
- This film went to some pretty dark places that I didn't expect it to go as a PG13 Superman film. Without spoilers, there is one sequence that's quite disturbing and quite a few curse words.

Anyway, I know that's not really a review. Just some random thoughts as I woke up this morning. In all, I would say this is a VERY successful reboot of DC's leading superhero. They found a great way to balance the line between pleasing the established fans and bringing the character to a new audience with a more modern or "realistic" approach. Think Batman Begins. Man of Steel is definitely Superman's "Begins". As of now i'd rate them equally, but it's possible MOS would be just a bit under BB.

Probably an 8/10. I'd definitely say it's worth a ticket for even the non Superman fans. I like Snyder's Watchmen, but this really shows he has grown as a filmmaker(or perhaps it was just Nolan/Goyer's script?....)

Neil
07-Jun-2013, 11:11 AM
^^ Nice!

So is it the quality Batman reboot of Superman then?

bassman
07-Jun-2013, 11:17 AM
^^ Nice!

So is it the quality Batman reboot of Superman then?

I'm a bit hesitant to relate them directly after only one viewing, but as of now......yeah, I'd say so. This film should definitely put Superman back as a leading contender for the comic movie race. In a lot of ways it really does feel like "Superman Begins". I'm not saying it follows the same beats as Batman Begins, just that it gives off a similar quality, respect, and maturity. Which is quite amazing for a character often regarded by non-comic fans as the boy scout with no weakness. This should definitely change their opinions.

rongravy
07-Jun-2013, 01:09 PM
I can't wait. I rented the first two originals on dvd, the Donner ones. I loved listening to the commentaries about how much the Salkind's sucked.
Getting totally in gear for this, I'm even wearing my "Supe" boxers...

AcesandEights
07-Jun-2013, 01:39 PM
Exciting tidbits...getting amped up for this again. Thanks for no spoilers, Bassman! :)

wayzim
08-Jun-2013, 11:20 AM
So both Henry and Russell apparently had meet each other years before, though not as peers.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/06/08/man-of-steels-russell-crowe-tells-jay-leno-that-young-herny-cavill-had-fire-in-his-eyes/

and

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2316653/Man-Of-Steel-Henry-Cavill-recalls-acting-advice-Russell-Crowe-gave-age-16.html

Wayne Z

bassman
08-Jun-2013, 04:11 PM
I can't wait. I rented the first two originals on dvd, the Donner ones. I loved listening to the commentaries about how much the Salkind's sucked.
Getting totally in gear for this, I'm even wearing my "Supe" boxers...

Even in work print form, Donner's edit of Superman II is fantastic. If the Salkinds weren't such jerks, it would have been amazing to have Donner continue helming Superman films for years. I bet they would've made it up to five films or more.

Neil
08-Jun-2013, 04:30 PM
^^ How did Superman II differ in his cut?

Trancelikestate
09-Jun-2013, 11:06 AM
The Superman II Donnor cut is COMPLETELY different Neil. You owe it to yourself to watch it.

Neil
11-Jun-2013, 08:48 AM
AICN likes it - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62812

MAN OF STEEL is the Superman movie we have been waiting for. Full of action, emotion, and spectacle, this is Zack Snyder’s finest work so far, and I prefer David Goyer’s work here to his work on Nolan’s Batman films. This was the harder job, by far – to make Superman relevant again, and to give him life beyond the page. It is true to the comics, to the films, to everything we love about this character. When I dreamed of heroes as a child, dreamed of taking flight, I saw this movie in my mind’s eye. Zack Snyder has pulled from the dreams of millions of fans, and brought us something to cheer for. MAN OF STEEL soars on the winds of those visions.

Sequel put on fast track? - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Man-Steel-Sequel-Put-Fast-Track-Zack-Snyder-David-Goyer-Returning-37981.html

bassman
13-Jun-2013, 02:44 PM
Sequel put on fast track? - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Man-Steel-Sequel-Put-Fast-Track-Zack-Snyder-David-Goyer-Returning-37981.html

Keep in mind that they also announced a Green Lantern sequel about a week before the first film was released. I enjoyed GL for what it was, but I'm just saying that it's possible they "leak" the sequel production information in an attempt to drum up more publicity. I seem to remember Bryan Singer's Man of Steel being in production about a week before Superman Returns was released, as well.

Going to see the flick again tonight. The second viewing is always better for picking out the likes and dislikes, so i'll let you guys know what I think for the second time.

Neil
13-Jun-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm seeing it next Tue...

bassman
14-Jun-2013, 02:48 PM
Alright, two viewings down. It's definitely a solid Superman flick and a great way to launch the new franchise, but that's not to say it doesn't have it's issues. Although the cinematography is beautiful, it's often much too shakey imo. The fight scenes, while amazing in scale and ferocity, sometimes seem a bit too crowded and close like they did in Batman Begins. While the film never feels slow with it's 2.5 hour runtime, there are still some things that could have been trimmed here and there. Even though the final battle in Metropolis is amazing and we finally get to see Superman do some SERIOUS damage, it could have been shortened a bit. The big event that threatens earth, while beautifully set up in the film, is a bit of a "hmmmm" situation. Nothing major, but just felt a bit too easy.

A few things that I absolutely love:
- Cavill is amazing in the title role. He totally sells it and you never once think of him as anything other than Superman.
- The fight scenes are absolutely brutal. The trailers and tv spots barely touched the tip of the action iceberg. NOBODY should complain about a lack of action and the force of the Kryptonian's powers on Earth.
- The flight scenes are amazing. Nearly all of it is the real actors, rather than the CGI character they used in Returns. They also did a lot of things with his power of flight that we've never seen on the big screen. For example, one thing I really loved is after being thrown and slammed into the ground on his belly, Superman doesn't stand up and then fly like they've done in the past, but just floats up in the lying position, turns about 90 degrees, then bolts off. I don't know why, but it really sold the idea of his powers and gave me goose bumps. There are several things like this throughout.
- They incorporated several different story elements from some of Superman's best comics/novels. Superman fans can also notice several in-joke nods to the character's history. Including some more obvious ones like the name of a certain corporation on the side of a building under construction and a tanker truck. :)
- While Russell Crowe is great as Jor El, Kevin Costner is the real winning father of the two. He sells a down-to-earth mid west father in a perfect way. Some of his scenes nearly bringing tears to my eyes.
- Superman gets pissed! Although there have been a few angry moments in the past films, in MOS he's not afraid to scream at the top of his lungs and unleash complete fury. Including giving characters a beat down while screaming words at them with each hit. Real "f*ck yeah!!" moments for the men in the audience.
- The military being afraid of Superman is a great angle to introduce the character into a more modern world. Throughout most of the movie Superman and Zod's crew are only referred to as "aliens". Superman gets no special treatment and the world views him as a huge threat, as I'm sure would happen in real life.
- Amy Adams is solid as Lois Lane, but after a while she doesn't seem like Lois anymore. She ends up participating in a big way that kinda felt a bit off, but the acting is good, so it's no big deal.
- Michael Shannon is the sh*t! That is all.

Anyway.....still processing it and will probably go back to see it again in 3D. My first two were 2D. I still say it's probably a little bit under Batman Begins. It has it's fair share of problems, but as long as you can take them for what they are and move on, it's a solid picture. Definitely a very solid Superman film considering all the crap the character's movies have suffered through in the last 25 or so years. If this doesn't please a majority of the movie going audiences, I'm not sure what will.

This final thought is something I vaguely mentioned in my original review, but didn't want to address because the movie was still a week or so away. Now that the film is officially out in North America, i'm going to put it in spoiler tags. This is one big issue I had with the alteration of Superman's history...

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Zod's death. It makes sense within the film and all, but I just don't think Kal should have snapped his neck like that. That generally goes against the character's history of no killing. However, it does make sense because he was saving the humans at the same time and Kal was obviously very distraught about it after the fact. I'm thinking it will probably be referenced in the sequels and he'll say that he'll never kill again. It was also a nice bit of symmetry because Zod killed Jor, so it's not a completely unwarranted moment.

rongravy
15-Jun-2013, 07:15 PM
Keep in mind that they also announced a Green Lantern sequel about a week before the first film was released. I enjoyed GL for what it was, but I'm just saying that it's possible they "leak" the sequel production information in an attempt to drum up more publicity. I seem to remember Bryan Singer's Man of Steel being in production about a week before Superman Returns was released, as well.

I read a little while back that MoS was out pre-selling even the Avengers, so I bet this isn't the case here. I hope it makes tons. I'd like it to beat out Avatar, but I could live with it just knocking Titanic down a peg or ten...

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I just got back from seeing it. I will say that time wizzed by like nobody's business. I also liked it alot.
Somehow I got mixed up, so I ended up seeing it in 3D, but that only added $3 to the already low price of $5. I also got to avoid a gi-normous crowd of comic book nerds, although my theater was actually semi full for an 11:00 am showing.
I can dig the new Superman, but I wasn't a big fan of Zod. They also really neglected his fun loving cohorts. I realize my opinions are tainted by my love for all things Terence Stamp, but that was pretty much my same/only gripe about Star Trek 2 and Khan/Montalban.
Otherwise MoS was a pretty solid, visually pleasing movie. Was it superdeep? Nahhhhh. Did it have the fun slaphappiness of the originals? Nope, but it's definitely right up the old Dark Knight's dark and dreary alley.
I can't say the 3D was worth it, either. I would've been much happier seeing it normal, but what're you gonna do?
I still hope this makes a butt ton of moolah, but it seems all these rapid fire flicks kind of muffle out the flames of whatever was released a week or two before it. Blockbusters keep cancelling each other out...
Either way, I like the new guy. Damn, he's buff!

AcesandEights
15-Jun-2013, 10:17 PM
Best Superman film I've ever sat through. I think it's a better conceived narrative than the original film, even though no one can say the original Superman didn't blaze some cinematic trails. It has a few meandering points and maybe some overly long fight scenes (that are otherwise very well done), but overall....I think it was a great film that allowed the Superman mythos/feel/message to really resonate.

bassman
16-Jun-2013, 04:35 PM
Anyone catch some of the DC comics references? I hear there are more but these are the ones I spotted.

If interested, i'll put them in spoiler tags for those that haven't seen it yet...

- The satellite that Zod destroys has a Wayne Enterprises logo on it.
- The tanker truck during the final battle has Lexcorp on the side.(Lex Luthor's corporation. Something that was avoided in previous films in favor of real estate schemes...)
- There's a building under construction during the final battle that has Lexcorp on the side. Being that it was under construction, i'm assuming Lex will come into the sequel. Likely not as the main villain, just a prominent character.

I've just seen that MOS had already reached 56 million within it's first 24 hours of release and they're predicting it will probably be around 130 by the end of the weekend. Much higher than the studio's expectations. Judging by cinemascore the word of mouth has been mostly positive, despite some viewers disliking the film, so they're also thinking word of mouth will keep the film running well for a while. Looks like MOS2 is a given.

I also read that David Goyer has been assigned to start from scratch on a Justice League film that will come after a few more of the individual DC character films(including MOS2), so it looks like MOS may have saved DC/WB's problems with their comic films...

Neil
18-Jun-2013, 08:27 PM
Disappointed...

*minor spoilers*

I found most of the film dull, contrived and pointless. I would suggest it's suffering from what a lot of these action flicks are suffering from at the moment - bigger explosion, followed by bigger explosion, following by bigger contrived reason for concern, followed by bigger explosion. The writing is poor and contrived and is there only to thread togethor a reason for the next big contrived concern and explosion...

After the tenth time a super hero was thrown through a building for no reason other than it looks cool, I actually laughed because it was so comically daft and dull.

I only laughed (groaned) louder when superman and Zod shot into space to fight and just happened to hit the satellite geostationary to them... space is big! what are the chances of that... But seemingly they're on a roll because when they fall all the way to Earth, where are they? Just tens of feet from Lois? Lois of course being in the exact place (along with the all major characters) Zod's ship just happened to choose to destroy first... Reeeeeallllllly? *groan*

Almost all the fights seem to revolve around what visual effects can be deployed rather than how they can be made interesting, or indeed even meritted to move the script along!

It's the same sort of problem I had with The Avengers, but that film had far more soul and interest to it than this animal.

If we compare this to Superman or Superman 2, sure it has far superior effects, but I have to say those two films have far more interest, depth, intrigue and character!

If we compare this to any of the Batman films, they absolutely beat Man Of Steel to a pulp IMHO! Why? Because they have stronger scripts and characters and events you can invest in.

6/10

bassman
18-Jun-2013, 09:28 PM
hehe....I expected no less from you.

Neil
18-Jun-2013, 09:42 PM
I know you enjoyed it... Sorry...

But to me all the qualities that made the first two Batman films and first two Spiderman films so solid and engaging were almost totally devoid from Man Of Steel... Couple of nice moments in there, but the rest was contrived action at the expense of plot and characters...

MoonSylver
18-Jun-2013, 09:49 PM
Disappointed...

Oh dear....:lol:

shootemindehead
18-Jun-2013, 10:06 PM
It's the same sort of problem I had with The Avengers, but that film had far more soul and interest to it than this animal

Jesus...that bad eh?

AcesandEights
18-Jun-2013, 10:14 PM

I too knew how Neil would weigh in on the topic. Neil, you're even correct in some of your assertions :D though you do always make negative presumptions to thing s that don't happen to make sense to you. If space is so big and ramming the satellite by mistake so unlikely, why do you assume it happened by chance? The two kryptonians were wacking each other against everything on earth, why not in space?

bassman
18-Jun-2013, 10:19 PM
I know you enjoyed it... Sorry...

But to me all the qualities that made the first two Batman films and first two Spiderman films so solid and engaging were almost totally devoid from Man Of Steel... Couple of nice moments in there, but the rest was contrived action at the expense of plot and characters...

Nah, I'm just pulling your leg.

That was actually one of my biggest concerns as well. That and the shaky camera work and the constant crash zooms. To be fair, one of the biggest complaints about Superman Returns(which I still enjoy) was that there wasn't enough physical action from this character with incredible strength, so I think they were kinda obligated to put a good bit in there. And it fit with the combination of these multiple Kryptonians fighting together on Earth. I too think it could have used some trimming in those areas, but I also think the film had a good bit of heart in it. Jor-El, Jonathan and Martha Kent, Kal's own conflict between his home world and adoptive world, etc. I would definitely say the action was a bit too much but also think they came pretty darn close to balancing it out. Perhaps it's something that can be improved upon in the sequels?

I think the sum of it's positives outweigh the sum of it's negatives. Without comparing it to any other comic films, I would think it's still safe to say it's the best Superman film since Donner's original.

AcesandEights
18-Jun-2013, 10:27 PM
My only problem with the fight scenes were they were so long and, as with most Superman movies, so much of the fighting and action seemed pointless due to mega-invulnerability. This sort of happens in most super hero films, but when Superman can literally take just about anything it's more of an issue for he fight scenes, in my mind.

That said, they did a good job with a really hard to write for character premise.

bassman
18-Jun-2013, 10:39 PM
This sort of happens in most super hero films, but when Superman can literally take just about anything it's more of an issue for he fight scenes, in my mind.

That actually helped me accept the action more. In this film, he's fighting multiple people of his own kind who can actually cause him physical harm. That made it more of a danger, imo.

I'm sure Lex Luthor will be in the sequels(he has to be), but I imagine they'll also either make Lex a physical threat or bring in another character that could also be a physical threat. I don't see the problem of the old superman movies where people thought he was indestructible happening in this series. The main reason people think he can't be hurt is because there are LOTS of villains that actually CAN cause him harm, they've just never been explored in film.

Neil
19-Jun-2013, 10:42 AM
If we compare this film to Christopher Reeve's first two films, obviously the action was far far superior in Man Of Steel, but I think that's maybe part of the problem. It becomes too much of a influence and a temptation. When Superman attacked one of Zods ships and the super CGI 'tentacles' appeared, I was sitting there thinking to myself how bored I was. Something I've not felt in a cinema for as long as I can recall. And this same feeling kept cropping up as CGI characters were bashing each other over and over and over... It all felt soulless and pointless.

If we now look at Reeve's films, the story lines were better for being simpler and the characters far more explored. I recall 'feeling' for Reeve's character and issues. But rarely felt that in this outing... The battle(s) between Superman and Zod and his comrades were simpler and better for it. In Man Of Steel we had minutes of CGI figures bashing through building and punching each other... Each typically ending in them getting up... and starting again... Pointless and ultimately dull except on a visual level.

Think back to Reeves version. Think back to the scenes you remember fondly? Clark running back home after the ball game? Clark saving Lois from the helicopter? Losing the fight to the trucker? Winning the fight with the trucker? Clark chasing the nuclear missile, only to fail to prevent the other one? etc etc etc... Now consider Man Of Steel... Bit thin on the ground IMHO.

The writing was too action orientated and tried assaulting the senses in an attempt to please, rather than actually delivering a good solid story and characters. Why have Zod and a couple or companions when you can have an army and space ships too? Wow how cool! They can blow even more $hit up! That will fill a few extra minutes!

It's a problem George Lucas' later Star Wars space scenes demonstrated too. IMHO one of the most beautiful space flight sequences ever was the Millenium Falcon escaping from Host. It was flying up towards the camera spinning, with 3-4 Tie fights after it, and in the background two star destroyers nearly colliding - Admit it! You remember it too! It was simple, and only showed what it needed to... But did it with consideration and beauty... In his later films he gave into the dark side and simply cut'n'pasted a thousand CGI space ships in a cheaper attempt at grabbing interest. I see this same cheapness of attempting to throw excessive visuals in an attempt to gain 'interest' crawling into too many films now... And it generally fails IMHO as it dilutes rather than adds!

If only more effort had gone into the script and keeping it more simple/solid rather than resorting to soulless big action. And indeed the script showed so many issues of just lazyness. Zod turns off all the power to the world, but somehow TVs remain on because it looks cool? And didn't you just roll your eyes at how and why Colonel Nathan Hardy just kept being everywhere? Picking Lois up with the FBI? Flying in helicopters to attack Zod? Being at the handing over of Superman? Flying cargo planes?

Anyway, I really cannot get over how empty I found most of this film... It's not a bad film, it's just very empty and forgettable. This is no Batman Begins, or Spiderman, or XMen, or Ironman that's for sure...

On a side note, I can't understand how AICN can declare Man Of Steel to be the greatest super hero film ever. I can understand many people may really enjoy it, but there's clearly other candidates out there with far stronger story lines, drama and characters. Then I found out the nearly bankrupt AICN got $100,000 from Legendary Pictures for 'advertising'... Hmmm!

krisvds
19-Jun-2013, 10:47 AM
I was about to write down why i ultimately felt so bored sitting through 'Man of steel's multiple action scenes only to find Neil describing it in perfect clarity.
Couldn't agree more.

To me, the best superhero film is still Batman Returns by Burton. The best, recent, comic book adaptation was Dredd.

bassman
19-Jun-2013, 11:14 AM
To me, the best superhero film is still Batman Returns by Burton. The best, recent, comic book adaptation was Dredd.

That's not a Batman film. That's a Tim Burton film with Batman in it.

krisvds
19-Jun-2013, 11:54 AM
True. But it's a great superhero film all the same.

Neil
19-Jun-2013, 01:00 PM
*minor spoiler*

Why was Zod moving his laser vision so slowly towards the people? What's your take on it?

AcesandEights
19-Jun-2013, 01:23 PM
*minor spoiler*

Why was Zod moving his laser vision so slowly towards the people? What's your take on it?

Two part aswer:

1) (overly)Dramatic effect

2) By Zod's own admission, his existence had no purpose at that point, so it may have been a means to torment and push Supes and/or get Supes to finish him.

Neil
19-Jun-2013, 05:26 PM
Two part aswer:

1) (overly)Dramatic effect

2) By Zod's own admission, his existence had no purpose at that point, so it may have been a means to torment and push Supes and/or get Supes to finish him.

I think it was the latter, but it just wasn't handled very well... Hence the ???? about it... I think he was forcing Supes to kill him. Should simply have said in a fit of anger, "it's them or me!"

AcesandEights
19-Jun-2013, 08:34 PM
I think it was the latter, but it just wasn't handled very well... Hence the ???? about it... I think he was forcing Supes to kill him. Should simply have said in a fit of anger, "it's them or me!"

I thought it was fine and straightforward, it just lasted too long. Ironically, insofar as Zack Snyder is concerned, slo-mo could have been used there to achieve an extra moment to highlight the choice Superman was being forced to make. :)

bassman
20-Jun-2013, 10:37 PM

He kinda did near the beginning of the fight. He says something like "there's only one way this can end, Kal! Either you die or I do!"

Danny
21-Jun-2013, 07:09 AM
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-man-of-steel/

pretty much sums up my opinion of it. The worst superhero film i have seen in a long long time.

Neil
21-Jun-2013, 10:34 AM
^^ I would agree it's one of the dullest superhero films I've seen in a long time!

And I agree with your video review, Iron Man 3, which I found the least of the trilogy, is very good compared to MoS. MoS tried too hard to be different to Reeve's films, and went too far in the wrong direction.

They picked up on the complete over busyness of it. Even the Superman origins now need super duper big space battles and lasers and fighting around the death of Krypton... *sigh*

* minor spoiler *

Why did Jor-El encode the codec into Kal-El? Why?

On a lighter note - Why did Kal-El only care who his father was? And didn't give a $hit who his mother was? Did he mention her once? :)

AcesandEights
21-Jun-2013, 01:36 PM
^^ I would agree it's one of the dullest superhero films I've seen in a long time!

Sounds harsh. I get not liking the film, to a degree, but unless you have Superfan baggage that makes you violently conflict with the tone of the film or Superman's depiction, I don't get it.

Neil, did you like this less than the last Superman film? Or the Green Lantern film, or the Fantastic Four movie, or the third Spiderman film?

Neil
21-Jun-2013, 05:54 PM
Sounds harsh. I get not liking the film, to a degree, but unless you have Superfan baggage that makes you violently conflict with the tone of the film or Superman's depiction, I don't get it.

Neil, did you like this less than the last Superman film? Or the Green Lantern film, or the Fantastic Four movie, or the third Spiderman film?

That's not harsh at all. I really cannot recall finding a Superhero film so dull, for years and years and years.

It annoyed me in a couple of ways:-
1) The action was just there for the sake of it. The death of Krypton was over the top and unecessary... A bizillion space ships fighting, cut'n'paste... cut'n'paste... CGI characters going through building after building after building... CGI characters fighting super CGI tentacles... CGI characters knocking seven bells out of each other minute after minute after minute.
2) Poor lazy writing. Characters being in places for no other reason than they needed to be. Dull characters not fleshed out, who we're suppose to care about?
3) The film just felt like it was trying ever so hard with all the CGI investment and unecessarily busy script, but the script was not that solid, and left characters feeling flat. Didn't really care for any of them...

Now again, don't get me wrong. It's not a bad film. It's just very run-of-the-mill and a missed opportunity.

Last Superman film - Don't really remember it - I recall the Lex Luther Kryptonite crystal stuff being very silly, but I recall that film being more solid an effort than this one... But it's very foggy now.

Green Lanturn and Fantastic Four? - Kinda foggy, so can't compare.

Third Spiderman? - Although very messy in places, I'd definately prefer that flick to MoS from what I recall.

bassman
21-Jun-2013, 06:02 PM
They picked up on the complete over busyness of it. Even the Superman origins now need super duper big space battles and lasers and fighting around the death of Krypton... *sigh*

You might be comparing it a bit too much to Donner's film. Civil war on Krypton has been a part of Superman's story for decades. That wasn't something invented for MOS. There have also been tons of different depictions of Krypton, including some with lasers and big, flying creatures.

* minor spoiler *

Why did Jor-El encode the codec into Kal-El? Why?

On a lighter note - Why did Kal-El only care who his father was? And didn't give a $hit who his mother was? Did he mention her once? :)

He put the codex into Kal because he was (supposed to be) the last remaining Kryptonian. By putting the codex into Kal he essentially put the entire history of their people into his genes, so that he would have the ability to do research on their history. He also did it so that Kal could more easily prevent genetically engineered Kryptonians to be created. Jor El and Lara were against engineering kryptonians, which is why they had Kal naturally, and didn't want it to happen again if something were to go wrong(and it did).

Yes, When Jor El's hologram and Kal first meet, Jor El tells him about Lara as he's giving the back story of Krypton.

I agree. I totally understand that everyone has their own likes and dislikes and it's perfectly acceptable to dislike this film, but the worst superhero film? Nah....don't see that. I don't know what some people were expecting. Although some people seem too hung up on the Donner/Reeve films.

Neil
21-Jun-2013, 06:11 PM
He also did it so that Kal could more easily prevent genetically engineered Kryptonians to be created.Well, my point is, why not just destroy the Codex? He's putting it into the last remaining Kryptonian, never to be used or of any use? So just destroy it? (Remember Kal isn't even aware of it)

I agree. I totally understand that everyone has their own likes and dislikes and it's perfectly acceptable to dislike this film, but the worst superhero film?You're putting words into my mouth. I said of recent years... A lot of it felt so flat, pointless and at times plain dull. I can't think of a super hero film in the past few years that's left me feeling that way. I really did feel like walking out duing some of the fights as they felt so utterly pointless and without any use, merit or 'soul'. And I actually groans at some of the poor writing involving the secondary characters being put in daft contrived dangerous situations.

Although some people seem too hung up on the Donner/Reeve films.Well, those films IMHO had far more solid scripts and characters. The action also seemed more in keeping with what was necessary to progress the plot. I may be looking at those films with rose tinted glasses, but IMHO Reeves first two outings blow MoS out of the water in most departments, and certainly portray a far far more interesting Superman.

wayzim
22-Jun-2013, 12:34 AM
Having just seen it, I was very disappointed - though many of the actors did well enough with what they were given. I'm sorry but the plot itself seemed murky, with exposition delivered at odd times and too often as almost an afterthought. I honestly went into MOS with an open mind and was prepared to have my socks blown off. My socks are still on.

After I've processed it more, I might feel kinder toward the film. Probably not, but I'm still ready to give it a fair think.
I'll get back to you all on that.

Wayne Z

Neil
22-Jun-2013, 04:29 PM
Having just seen it, I was very disappointed - though many of the actors did well enough with what they were given. I'm sorry but the plot itself seemed murky, with exposition delivered at odd times and too often as almost an afterthought. I honestly went into MOS with an open mind and was prepared to have my socks blown off. My socks are still on.

After I've processed it more, I might feel kinder toward the film. Probably not, but I'm still ready to give it a fair think.
I'll get back to you all on that.

Wayne Z

Did you feel like it was trying ever ever ever so hard, and simply failed to tell a better simpler and more character focused story?

Did you get bored of the action after a while?

wayzim
22-Jun-2013, 05:15 PM
Did you feel like it was trying ever ever ever so hard, and simply failed to tell a better simpler and more character focused story?

Did you get bored of the action after a while?

I thought poor Pa Kent was given short shrift throughout. His only clear motive was to protect his foster son at all cost, even if that meant sacrificing a schoolbus full of kids. But then he kept echoing Glenn Ford's excellent sentiments from another film "Son, you were sent here for a reason. " which seemed to contradict the other value. Maybe this is considered normal human behavior - can't tell for sure as Pa Kent never seemed to establish any serious underlying value system.

At least Lois Lane displayed a clearer integrity in keeping Clark's secret from the beginning. That was different and nice to see, so kudos to the script for that and to Amy Adams for playing it out so well. And Yes, Neil, by the time Clark had destroyed the first terraforming machine, what little thrills I'd gotten from his super antics were pretty much gone. The same when he went after the second device in Metropolis. It was finished for me about halfway through that fight.

Which actually leads to a very serious question. Why was the home town of Superman, and his future workplace never really treated as anything but just another set? In other shows, they were the center of Supes world, but in MOS they were hardly more than background. Maybe this will expanded upon in the next film, but it really bugged me.

Wayne Z
"They are a great people, Kal-El. They want to be. They only need a light to show them the way. "
Another Movie.

bassman
24-Jun-2013, 08:50 PM
Well, my point is, why not just destroy the Codex? He's putting it into the last remaining Kryptonian, never to be used or of any use? So just destroy it? (Remember Kal isn't even aware of it)

But wasn't it also a way for Kal to learn about his heritage should he ever find out about it?

You're putting words into my mouth. I said of recent years... A lot of it felt so flat, pointless and at times plain dull. I can't think of a super hero film in the past few years that's left me feeling that way. I really did feel like walking out duing some of the fights as they felt so utterly pointless and without any use, merit or 'soul'. And I actually groans at some of the poor writing involving the secondary characters being put in daft contrived dangerous situations.

Sorry, that wasn't my intention. I agree with these criticisms, I just don't think they hold enough weight to ruin the movie as a whole. On a side note...I can think of TONS of recent superhero films that make MOS look like The Shawshank Redemption....

Well, those films IMHO had far more solid scripts and characters. The action also seemed more in keeping with what was necessary to progress the plot. I may be looking at those films with rose tinted glasses, but IMHO Reeves first two outings blow MoS out of the water in most departments, and certainly portray a far far more interesting Superman.

Fair enough. I still love those films as well. However, although the include the same characters, I wouldn't want to compare them too closely. Just as Batman Begins and Batman(89) are completely separate films or the way these characters are reinvented in the comics over and over again.

Donner's Superman was more of a representation of the more wholesome silver age Superman, while Man of Steel is more in keeping with the post crisis comics or the new 52. Just different interpretations of the same character.

Neil
25-Jun-2013, 10:07 AM
Max Landis vents about Man Of Steel... While I don't entirely agree with his views, I dig his ability to rant so well :)

aw_GlYve_Lg

My biggest problem with MoS was just the dull over played action, seemingly in place of a solid character driven script. I think Landis was partly agreeing with that...

shootemindehead
25-Jun-2013, 10:33 AM
God, I can't stand is fu*kin voice.

bassman
25-Jun-2013, 06:00 PM
God, I can't stand is fu*kin voice.

Agreed. A silver spoon child with a big mouth.

Max Landis vents about Man Of Steel... While I don't entirely agree with his views, I dig his ability to rant so well :)

He does raise some valid concerns, but most of it just comes off as "my daddy used to be famous, listen to me!!!". I can see that he's a fan of the character, but the way he goes about it just seems....off...to me. If he has such a grasp on the character, he should use his dad's reputation(pre-Twilight Zone incident) and do his best to get in with Warner Brothers for the next movie. At least have more than one or two films under your belt before you, as a filmmaker, start ranting about others....

MoonSylver
26-Jun-2013, 03:10 AM
My oldest (almost 14) went & saw it with her aunt & cousins & loved it a lot. So if the aim, in part at least, was to relaunch & reinvigorate a somewhat "old fashioned" superhero for a new generation, then I'd have to say they succeeded.

AcesandEights
26-Jun-2013, 04:03 AM
Agreed. A silver spoon child with a big mouth.

"No one gets what's special about Superman (except for me)...in a pop way."

He does make some decent points, but you have to bulldoze through sedimentay layers of Pretentious bullshit to get there.

That said, Chronicle was pretty well done for what it set out to do.

EvilNed
30-Jun-2013, 06:16 PM
This film was horrible.

Neil
30-Jun-2013, 10:38 PM
This film was horrible.

I wouldn't use the word horrible. If I had to choose a word, it would be "flat", or "weak", or a number of times through it, "dull"...

EvilNed
30-Jun-2013, 10:48 PM
I'd use all those as well.

There was so much complete crap in this film that could easily have been left on the cutting room floor without hurting the movie one bit. The ENTIRE OPENING sequence on Krypton? Get rid of it!

Me and my friends (there were 3 of us) were literally laughing at this film in the cinema. It was horrible and awkward. Kevin Costners death scene was hilarious. There was so many things about this film that were just... Bad. And even more things that were retarded.

Bryan Singer, come back, all is forgiven!

wayzim
01-Jul-2013, 12:54 AM
I'd use all those as well.

There was so much complete crap in this film that could easily have been left on the cutting room floor without hurting the movie one bit. The ENTIRE OPENING sequence on Krypton? Get rid of it!

Me and my friends (there were 3 of us) were literally laughing at this film in the cinema. It was horrible and awkward. Kevin Costners death scene was hilarious. There was so many things about this film that were just... Bad. And even more things that were retarded.

Bryan Singer, come back, all is forgiven!

Oh great! People say this now ... :rockbrow:

Hee.

For someone who had our trust with two X-Men films ( which rocked. ) to have the audience turn on him for Superman Returns was pretty wacked. Which is another thing which MOS was missing. That excitement when Supes finally got around to doing his super hero stuff. Return had it when he rescued the shuttle and plane - I was practically out of my seat. MOS, not once - and like I said earlier, I really wanted to enjoy the movie. It just wasn't happening.

Wayz

ProfessorChaos
01-Jul-2013, 12:55 AM
yikes....i am planning to see this soon with my brother and his son. i've heard/read a few good things about it, but it seems like i've heard just as many bad things about it....

oh well, will see it anyhow, but i've gotta say i'm a bit unsure of what to expect as of now. my hopes aren't too high, and i'm not really emotionally invested in superman as a character, so i'm guessing it won't be too bad.

EvilNed
01-Jul-2013, 05:53 AM
Oh great! People say this now ... :rockbrow:

Hee.

For someone who had our trust with two X-Men films ( which rocked. ) to have the audience turn on him for Superman Returns was pretty wacked. Which is another thing which MOS was missing. That excitement when Supes finally got around to doing his super hero stuff. Return had it when he rescued the shuttle and plane - I was practically out of my seat. MOS, not once - and like I said earlier, I really wanted to enjoy the movie. It just wasn't happening.

Wayz

To be fair, I always kinda liked Superman Returns. I think it had the right tone for a Superman film. This super serious stuff they pull in the latest one just turns it into unintentional comedy.

Neil
01-Jul-2013, 08:23 AM
Kevin Costners death scene was hilarious.
Felt very contrived and ham fisted didn't it...

wayzim
01-Jul-2013, 12:10 PM
Felt very contrived and ham fisted didn't it...

Just to keep raising the ghost of the 70's Donner film, the emotional impact of when Pa Kent simply keeled over from a heart attack was jarring to the audience. And it felt more connected with the start of Clark's journey than simply getting whisked away to OZ in MOS ( did Costner meet Mila Kunis and James Franco there? )
As for that, a coronary was something which Supes couldn't save his father from, where a twister was; despite the hamhanded way in MOS where an open secret was kept by sacrificing a parent.

Wayne Z
"All these powers, and I couldn't save him. "
Superman: The Movie

Neil
01-Jul-2013, 01:00 PM
Just to keep raising the ghost of the 70's Donner film, the emotional impact of when Pa Kent simply keeled over from a heart attack was jarring to the audience. And it felt more connected with the start of Clark's journey than simply getting whisked away to OZ in MOS ( did Costner meet Mila Kunis and James Franco there? )
As for that, a coronary was something which Supes couldn't save his father from, where a twister was; despite the hamhanded way in MOS where an open secret was kept by sacrificing a parent.

Wayne Z
"All these powers, and I couldn't save him. "
Superman: The Movie

I agree - IMHO the writing/characterisations in Reeve's Superman 1 & 2 where far far strong that MoS generally.

AcesandEights
01-Jul-2013, 01:32 PM
I agree - IMHO the writing/characterisations in Reeve's Superman 1 & 2 where far far strong that MoS generally.

Sounds like rose-tinted spectacles, to me.

You guys are welcome to the classic films, if that's what you want to call them. The first 20 minutes of the original Superman are classic, I'll grant you, but it's all crap after that as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't really sit through the last halves of the Superman films when I was kid, and I can't do it now.

Neil
01-Jul-2013, 02:23 PM
Sounds like rose-tinted spectacles, to me.

<snip>

but it's all crap after that as far as I'm concerned.Sorry, when someone proclaim 4+ hours of fairly classic film making as "crap", you have to wonder who has tinted glasses?

I really never felt the slightest concern for anyone in MoS. Maybe a little bit for Cosner, but that scene was so contrived even it was spoiled.

The fight scenes were soulless and didn't progress the script/story in anyway! I think the only action scene I sort of enjoyed was on the oil rig, but even Reeve saving a frikkin cat had more charm than that scene :)

And Superman as the plane engine? Classic!

Of course it's aged... But none-the-less it's a far better and more interesting journey IMHO.

shootemindehead
01-Jul-2013, 02:51 PM
"Fly. Just fly. We got... something. I ain't saying what it is. Just... trust me."

EvilNed
01-Jul-2013, 03:07 PM
"Fly. Just fly. We got... something. I ain't saying what it is. Just... trust me."

Stuff like that. There's not a moment of comic relief in the new film. At least none that works. It's so serious. That's a big part of it's downfall, because in the end, Superman is a kind of silly character and so is his universe. You need to joke about it.

AcesandEights
01-Jul-2013, 03:59 PM
Sorry, when someone proclaim 4+ hours of fairly classic film making as "crap", you have to wonder who has tinted glasses?

Perhaps you've been dreaming of better film making and more compelling stories whilst dozing through those classics. :)

I really never felt the slightest concern for anyone in MoS.
The problem I've had with every Superman film ever made.

The fight scenes were soulless and didn't progress the script/story in anyway! I think the only action scene I sort of enjoyed was on the oil rig, but even Reeve saving a frikkin cat had more charm than that scene :)
Uh, this sounds like more "Back in my day" reasoning, what was actually good about that scene or Reeve's version of Superman?

And Superman as the plane engine? Classic!
Classic iconography, not storytelling.

Of course it's aged...
Age has little to do with it, it was purposefully hokey when it was originally done, you're either okay with it, or not. I wasn't.

But none-the-less it's a far better and more interesting journey IMHO.
In MoS the fights seem overly long. In every Superman movie previous to this, everything seemed perfunctory and overly long.

wayzim
01-Jul-2013, 04:09 PM
Stuff like that. There's not a moment of comic relief in the new film. At least none that works. It's so serious. That's a big part of it's downfall, because in the end, Superman is a kind of silly character and so is his universe. You need to joke about it.

Which is why the Singer film was so important for Supes to move on. The humor was muted in SR, less of a goof than with the Donner film ( which even the director himself admitted to. ) and Lex Luthor ( as played by Kevin Spacey ) was actually dangerous when it was time for him to be. The moments when he was beating the crap out of our hero was pretty nasty, for the type of movie it was.

With the Superman myth you do have a big playground to mess around in, and the Man of Steel himself can be as dour as you want - so long as he's from Krypton, dons some familar version of the uniform, and most importantly displays a clear form of heroism and self sacrifice in the end. Truth, Justice .... all that stuff.
But the reason why MOS could fit two out of three of those requirements and still fall far from the mark ( For me at least. With or without the Donner movie, that doesn't matter, as Lois and Clark as well as Smallville ultimately fulfilled those goals also. ) was that the growth of Supes humanity seemed muddled and confused throughout - scriptwise - in Snyder's vision of it.

Wayne Z
"You say the world doesn't need a savior. But everyday I hear people crying out for one. "
Superman Returns

bassman
20-Aug-2013, 03:17 PM
Blu Ray features:

“Man of Steel” Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack and 3D Limited Collector’s Edition contain the following special features:
· Journey of Discovery: Creating “Man of Steel” – This immersive feature-length experience allows you to watch the movie with director Zack Snyder and stars Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Diane Lane and others as they share the incredible journey to re-imagine Superman.
· Strong Characters, Legendary Roles – Explore the legendary characters of the Superman mythology and how they have evolved in this new iteration of the Superman story.
· All-Out Action – Go inside the intense training regimen that sculpted Henry Cavill into the Man of Steel and Michael Shannon and Antje Traue into his Kyptonian nemeses. Includes interviews with cast and crew.
· Krypton Decoded – Dylan Sprayberry (Clark Kent, age 13) gives the lowdown on all the amazing Krypton tech, weapons and spaceships featured in “Man of Steel.”
· Planet Krypton – The world’s first exploration of Krypton and its lost society

It's released on November 12th.

There's also a lengthy press release that strangely keeps mentioning that this is the Theatrical version of the film. Knowing Snyder's blu ray releases, i'm betting an extended cut is inevitable. However, he also has great special features and "Journey of Discovery" sounds mighty enticing. This might be a double dip for me.

bassman
14-Nov-2013, 05:11 PM
The picture and audio quality of the blu ray are top notch. Decent special features, the meatiest being "Journey of Discovery", which is a visual commentary that runs the length of the film. Much like what Snyder did for Watchmen. The actors pop in and out as well. It's funny that you can see that Michael Shannon definitely doesn't want to be there and basically says "Just watch the movie" everytime he comes in. lol

Also....even though I enjoy the film, they gave MOS the Honest Trailer treatment, and it had me cracking up...

Sge5sUNJkiY

MinionZombie
20-Apr-2014, 10:54 AM
Just watched "Man Of Steel" last night and I quite enjoyed it. Not a patch on the Nolan Batman movies, sure, but I rather enjoyed it. Thankfully none of that slow-mo-fast-mo-slow-mo bullshit that Snyder is usually known for ... although there were a lot of 'shaky cam crash zooms' instead. :p

It felt 'more human/emotional' than Snyder's other flicks, although still somewhat distant, but definitely better than his previous efforts. I thought all the father/son stuff worked very well in showing Kal El/Clark's journey towards becoming Superman.

The one big problem with it though - the action at the climax of the movie just went on and on and on and on and on and on ... good lord, give it a rest, man!

The street fight in Smallville went on way too long, and didn't feel like it really did anything other than smash shit up ... some good stuff in there, but it simply didn't need to go on that long. Then another action sequence straight after - in which seemingly half of Metropolis is obliterated (although it seems it was just a few blocks ... but still ... geez!) which went on quite long ... and then another rumble. The amount of falling buildings and huge explosions actually became quite distracting after a while - not only because of CGI fatigue setting in hard by the final battle, but because I kept thinking "there's gotta be at least several thousand people dead by now ... oh, there go a few more, and some more" ... I mean sure, some people would die in such a battle, and it was right to show some of that peril and danger, but it just felt too over-the-top.

To go the way of 'The A-Team car crash survival' would have been just as distracting ... I think it was more the frequency of massive skyscrapers falling and huge damage being done that led to the distraction. Keep some of it, but not all of it.

Actually, it felt like Snyder got carried away with the action and didn't know when to stop or how much to use. It felt like he couldn't decide on which bits were best from a whole bunch of ideas, so just tossed in everything. They could have trimmed all that smashing and bashing down by ten minutes easily, and the flick would have been stronger for it. Indeed, I think the heart of the movie was somewhat lost amongst all the explosions at the end - the flick had done so well to inject some emotional stakes into proceedings, and then it was kind of thrown aside when the CGI took over.

So - overall - I rather enjoyed it, far more than Superman Returns, and I think this did a better job of re-introducing the character for the 21st century. It wasn't as dark and brooding as I was initially expecting, and I think the tone was generally about right - there does need to be some struggle in there to make it mean something - and the action was good, but there was absolutely, positively far too much of it in the last 30/40 minutes of the movie.

7.5/10

Neil
20-Apr-2014, 05:39 PM
I just felt the whole human element was very vapid. Didn't really care for anyone as their motivations felt tied to a very "constructed" story.

eg: Jon Kent's death - He could easily have been saved... but no the script required some over engineered death scene.

The entire final battle scene is a good example of how often less is more. CGI characters bouncing around soon got tiresome and meaningless, until queue the next contrived scene/moment.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad film. Just felt very paint by numbers and over engineered for the sake of special effects rather than story. I cared more for the characters in 300!

AcesandEights
20-Apr-2014, 06:29 PM
I don't know. I've been watching the hell out of MoS now that it's on cable and still find it very enjoyable.

Good review overal, MZ.

Neil
21-Apr-2014, 06:29 AM
I don't know. I've been watching the hell out of MoS now that it's on cable and still find it very enjoyable.

Good review overal, MZ.I've only watched it the once... Maybe I'll enjoy it more with future viewings...