PDA

View Full Version : The Stand (film)

Neil
01-Feb-2011, 11:23 AM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48288

Can't help but feel "The Stand" is just too big for a single film!

The 1994 TV series did a reasonable job and that was SIX hours long!

Surely they couldn't break it into two, or even three films? That just wouldn't sit right surely!

bassman
01-Feb-2011, 12:21 PM
The link doesn't seem to be working for me.

But i'm sure they could fit it into three movies. Jackson did it for LOTR. Then of course you have the extended cuts, brining the entire series to over ten hours. :dead:

DjfunkmasterG
01-Feb-2011, 12:38 PM
Having issues too I think it is their website

Neil
01-Feb-2011, 03:09 PM
OK for me (now)!?

MikePizzoff
01-Feb-2011, 06:41 PM
Link worked fine for me.

If they're going to condense the story of The Stand into one movie (which would probably be at most 2 hours long), I imagine they'll get JJ Abrams or Zack Snyder to direct it so they can cram in as much action oriented stuff as possible. And then I'll throw up.

Tricky
01-Feb-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm just getting towards the end of the book now, been reading it the past couple of months! I personally dont think a feature film would do it justice, I saw the mini series back in the 90's even that wasnt great (why did they make Harold a pencil thin geek, when he was a greasy fat schemer in the book until about halfway when he goes over to the dark side?) The book is great and I'd hate to see them mess it up again!

JDFP
06-Feb-2011, 01:29 AM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48288

Can't help but feel "The Stand" is just too big for a single film!

The 1994 TV series did a reasonable job and that was SIX hours long!

Surely they couldn't break it into two, or even three films? That just wouldn't sit right surely!

"M-O-O-N" that spells disaster! It can't be done in in one film without completing butchering the story to shreds. I don't give a damn if it's Frank Darabont or Spielberg who does it, it just can't be done in 120 minutes without destroying the work completely. It's entirely too epic.

Even the 4-part mini-series (around 6 hours long I believe) had to omit a great deal of story. Nadine's character for example was NOT the same woman who Larry traveled with originally (Rita). Larry ended up going all the way up to the coast in Maine, if I believe correctly as it has been years since I've read it, before finally heading out to see Mother Abagail ("I'm 103 years old and I still make my own cornbread!").

I'll be the first to admit the miniseries isn't perfect, but I'll defend it as being damn good for a lower budget effort. And it actually packs a wallop as far as cast. I thought Jamey Sheridan, Gary Sinise, Miguel Ferrer, Ray Walston (R.I.P.), Laura San Giacomo (oh man, I'd so hit that!), and others were excellent and really made it into something that would have been campy without their talent shining through. Yeah -- it's not perfect, but the actors/actresses definitely put their heart into it. I couldn't imagine anyone doing Traschcan except for Matt Frewer ("Bumpty-bumpty-bump! MY LIFE FOR YOU! MY LIFE FOR YOU!").

I own it on DVD and pull it out to watch it on occasion -- it's always a pleasure to show it to people who haven't seen it before as you over-look the little things for the more epic nature of it and really get into the story going on. I dig it a great deal, warts and all, myself.

Would I watch it if re-made again? Hell's yeah I would. It's freaking "The Stand" -- which, for me at least, is up there with "Atlas Shrugged" as one of the top greatest American novels ever penned in our history. It's probably quoted as often as "Atlas Shrugged" as well. But, it just CANNOT be done in 120 minutes. I don't give a shit who does it, can... not... be... done.

j.p.

SymphonicX
06-Feb-2011, 03:03 PM
tbh there's nothing stopping it being a 3+ hour overblown director's ego trip if it wants to (Watchmen - although, that's not to say that wasn't an awesome film.)

Unless they give it to Darabont, I'll just wait for it to come out on laserdisc.

JDFP
06-Feb-2011, 03:08 PM
tbh there's nothing stopping it being a 3+ hour overblown director's ego trip if it wants to (Watchmen - although, that's not to say that wasn't an awesome film.)

Unless they give it to Darabont, I'll just wait for it to come out on laserdisc.

Wow, did you just say "laserdisc"?

Might be waiting awhile on that one, Symph. Might have to settle for the Beta while you're waiting on the laserdisc. :D:p

j.p.

SymphonicX
06-Feb-2011, 05:08 PM
hehe yeah I was subtly signalling I'd never buy it :)

Rottedfreak
06-Feb-2011, 05:43 PM
Opening:
A newscast plays on a TV informing the viewers to stay indoors and to advises precautions against infection, the power cuts out and a pan out reveals the viewers are dead and being swarmed by flies, the scene pulls outside to reveal a whole neighbourhood is silent.
Stu sifts through a corpse filled hospital with a rag covering his mouth, he is grabbed by a corpse that says his name, he turns around and a crow shrieks, he does a 180 and looks into the demonic eyes of Randal Flagg who growls, Stu then wakes up and finds Frannie also up in a sweat, he says "we have to keep moving to Boulder."
It's then you go "They skipped the best huggin part!!!!"

Kaos
06-Feb-2011, 10:59 PM
Ugh. Jamey Sheridan as Randall Flagg? How could anyone be afraid of Randall Flagg when he looked borderline retarded? He looked like he could barely master wiping his ass, let alone master black magic. Jamey Sheridan may be brilliant fellow (I have no idea), but dude was not blessed with a commanding presence.

JDFP
06-Feb-2011, 11:19 PM
Ugh. Jamey Sheridan as Randall Flagg? How could anyone be afraid of Randall Flagg when he looked borderline retarded? He looked like he could barely master wiping his ass, let alone master black magic. Jamey Sheridan may be brilliant fellow (I have no idea), but dude was not blessed with a commanding presence.

While I'm not fond of the mullet-of-doom he's sporting in the film, I thought he did a great job in the role. Sheridan is actually a highly underrated actor. He recently did a film called "Handsome Harry" that was at, I believe, Sundance this last year and has Steve Buscemi in it as well. If there was a problem with the presenting of the character, which didn't trouble me personally too much, it's due to the writing and not the actor in this case. Flagg is supposed to e an over-the-top silly goof of a villain who just happens to be extremely powerful in addition to being NUTS.

j.p.

Kaos
07-Feb-2011, 05:16 AM
Again, not even saying that Mr Sheridan isn't a perfectly fine actor, just that he was sorely miscast and the portrayal was not in line with his character from any of the books he appeared in. The poor portrayal being just as likely the director's failing as his.

Mullet of Doom - simply awesome. :D

I think Gary Sinise was perfect casting. It is almost as if they raided my imagination after reading the book 10 years prior and created the Stu seen in my mind's eye.

Neil
26-Aug-2013, 10:43 AM
Project is still alive, with Ben Affleck's recent news having some impact on it - http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/stand-director-wake-ben-affleck-batman-casting.html

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Scott Cooper is in talks to take over the director’s chair so recently vacated by the Argo director. Cooper’s highest profile job thus far has been at the helm of 2009’s Crazy Heart, which won Jeff Bridges an Academy Award for best actor.

EvilNed
26-Aug-2013, 10:59 AM
I really dig the mini-series. But there's so much behind that admiration. For instance, very few films portray the actual collapse of society. That part is usually skipped. We jump into the cozy apocalypse after all the chaos and anarchy has settled.

In The Stand mini-series we get to see some of how Captain Tripps wreaks havoc on various families and organizations. I love how Ed Harris' is actually in the first hour-and-a-half of it, but takes his own life after he realizes that this is the end. Stuff like that's golden. Man, I got to rewatch. There's something about the desperation in people's eyes as they realize that "this is the end" that really turns me on. Did I say that out-loud?

wayzim
28-Aug-2013, 03:31 PM
Ditto.
And as to Harold being a skinny nerd vs a tubby as in the novel? Splitting hairs, but I think there was a PC decision behind the change. I remember earlier in The Martian Chronicles mini-series ( TV 1980, the original unbutched version ) there was a fun story in the book where the last man on Mars tries to hook up with the last woman, only to discover she was an overweight marriage obsessed stalker type. The series, however, turned her into overpainted Bernadette Peters, to spare the feelings of overweight marriage obsessed stalker types.
Did it matter then? Only that it gave our fella less incentive to run away from Ms. Peters. Does it matter with Harold? Which version? Not so much, as he was sympathetically unlikeable either way.
But I still love the series, and Ray Walston ( aka Uncle Martin, or if you're a Damn Yankees fan - Mr. Applegate, the devil ) made it all better in any case.

Neil
28-Aug-2013, 08:36 PM
There's something about the desperation in people's eyes as they realize that "this is the end" that really turns me on. Did I say that out-loud?
Right there with you!

Neil
27-Nov-2013, 08:24 AM
Paul Greengrass (Captain Phillips) to direct? - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Stephen-King-Stand-Looking-Paul-Greengrass-Direct-40472.html

Geordie9
28-Nov-2013, 09:48 PM
one of my favourite books, im reading it now again. i think theyll ruin the film!

Neil
29-Nov-2013, 10:09 AM
one of my favourite books, im reading it now again. i think theyll ruin the film!

Feels too big for a (single) film?

Cykotic
02-Dec-2013, 02:16 AM
way too big for a single film. in my opinion, it has to be 3, 3 hour films or, they could just do it as a TV series (again)...

AMC, HBO... are you listening!!!!

Legion2213
02-Dec-2013, 08:41 AM
Yep, even the original TV production was around 6 hours long, no way can this be done as a single film...possibly a big ass 3x 3 hour trilogy, or as others have said, a TV series.

- - - Updated - - -

There's something about the desperation in people's eyes as they realize that "this is the end" that really turns me on. Did I say that out-loud?

Don't worry, you are among friends (or like-minded PA freaks at least). ;)

Darkest Hour
05-Dec-2013, 09:35 AM
They need to keep Opie and Akiva Goldsman away from this production.

HANDS OFF THE DARK TOWER too.Get someone else.
Mick Garris tried in the 90's I do not know if they were running off the expanded novel seems like it.Just spent a month reading it on the loo.

DH

Geordie9
05-Dec-2013, 09:47 PM
They need to keep Opie and Akiva Goldsman away from this production.

HANDS OFF THE DARK TOWER too.Get someone else.
Mick Garris tried in the 90's I do not know if they were running off the expanded novel seems like it.Just spent a month reading it on the loo.

DH
i agree with the hands off the dark tower, love the books

Neil
26-Feb-2014, 10:45 AM
Now Josh Boone is being talked about as director (after Ben Affleck and David Yates didn't pan out) - http://www.thewrap.com/stephen-king-stand-josh-boone-direct-movie-adaptation-fault-our-stars

And I don't see how this can be anything other than at least 2 films!

Neil
06-Jun-2014, 04:09 PM
A single 3hr R-rated film now - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Stand-Adaptation-Three-Hours-Long-R-Rated-43348.html

Is 3hrs enough?

"We’re gonna do one three-hour, R-rated version with an amazing A-list cast across the board. Every single one of those characters will be somebody you recognize and somebody you relate to. And it’s gonna be awesome. I’m really excited. It’s the most exciting thing I’ve ever got to do in my entire life. If 12-year-old me had ever known that one day I’d be doing this, to even just go back and look at that kid, I’d be like, 'Keep doing what you’re doing!'"

Sigh! I don't want A-list characters just for the sake of it just so I recognise and relate to them! I want actors that fit the role and ideally have no old baggage! All unknowns would be all the better IMHO!

Geordie9
07-Jun-2014, 12:37 AM
Aye i agree with you, unknowns would be better. And no way will they capture it the way King wrote it in 3hrs.

krisvds
07-Jun-2014, 06:02 AM
A literal and detailed film version of what is in the book wouldn't work in three hours I guess? However a skilled director could very well capture the mood and feel of the novel without straying too far away from the source material.

If they do decide to cram in as much of the book as they can in three hours we will end up with another superficial postcard from the movie. Same reason i found Watchmen so boring.
It's going to take a lot of talent and balls to get this one right.

Rottedfreak
01-Jul-2014, 07:05 PM
A way it could work is by having the plague as the backdrop to the events of the book, instead of having half the film drawn out with the world in chaos followed by gathering it could feature the chosen gathering during the plague itself for the first third, then in the second show them rebuilding in Boulder which has become a ghost town due to CDC operations and then the final third have the stand.

Neil
01-Jul-2014, 08:00 PM
A way it could work is by having the plague as the backdrop to the events of the book, instead of having half the film drawn out with the world in chaos followed by gathering it could feature the chosen gathering during the plague itself for the first third, then in the second show them rebuilding in Boulder which has become a ghost town due to CDC operations and then the final third have the stand.

...but...but...that's the best bit! I'd be an unhappy panda!

Seriously, if they don't go through the Lincoln tunnel in the film, it will be unforgivable! That said, that scene surely cannot be beaten in written form!

Here's that part of the book here - http://www.sheilaomalley.com/?p=7689

Rottedfreak
02-Jul-2014, 11:40 AM
That could be the opening scene, imagine it: we hear radio broadcasts denouncing the 'Captain Trips' scare over shots of New York City in chaos with the dead piling up, the living either choking on their blood or the uninfected helping or hindering the situation and then go to Larry and Rita outside the Lincoln Tunnel. They talk, they argue ad Larry has flashbacks of his dying mother warning about the dark man before entering the tunnel alone.
Meanwhile in Ogunquit Maine life goes on, people surf, swim, there's traffic and then a guy on a beach has a cough he attributes to 'summer flu'.
Okay the danger is the Stand becomes something what Michael Bay would do but given that it got three stinky hours it's unavoidable at this point.

Neil
24-Aug-2014, 09:50 AM
OK! I'm interested!!!

Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flag? - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/68478

http://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2014/papa_vinyard/iuyfytughey_large.jpg

Geordie9
24-Aug-2014, 10:11 AM
Good choice, i think hed make a good Randall Flagg

kidgloves
24-Aug-2014, 10:17 AM
Hell yeah!!

Neil
24-Aug-2014, 11:51 AM
Good choice, i think hed make a good Randall Flagg

Understatement of the year - He'd make a totally epic Randall Flagg! :)

That said, Jamey Sheridan was very good in the TV mini-series, so will be interesting to see how McConaughey compares!

Neil
10-Sep-2014, 09:25 PM
3hr movie - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/68714

I finished writing the script maybe a month ago. Stephen [King] absolutely loved it. It’s, I think, the first script ever approved by him. [It’ll be] a single version movie of The Stand. Three Hours. It hews very closely to the novel.

Neil
08-Oct-2014, 09:10 AM
Now talks of two movies - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69047

Would seem to make more sense IMHO if they really want to get the most out of the characters/story.

Legion2213
12-Oct-2014, 10:02 AM
3 hours seems a little compressed...now 2x 3 hour movies, that could do it justice!

I'll watch it either way, loved the book, really enjoyed the mini-series...so it's only decent to give this new version a shot with an open mind.

Neil
12-Oct-2014, 05:30 PM
2 x 2.25hrs it'll end up being I recon...

Neil
21-Nov-2014, 12:19 PM
Now it's going to be.... *ready for this*... FOUR FILMS - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69554

Huh? Sounds like too much! The story will get diluted surely!

AcesandEights
21-Nov-2014, 01:26 PM
Now it's going to be.... *ready for this*... FOUR FILMS - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69554

Huh? Sounds like too much! The story will get diluted surely!

Horrible :|

MoonSylver
21-Nov-2014, 03:23 PM
Someone's got delusions of "Lord of the Rings"...http://operationgaga.com/public/style_emoticons/default/shaking_head.gif

Neil
21-Nov-2014, 03:41 PM
Someone's got delusions of "Lord of the Rings"...http://operationgaga.com/public/style_emoticons/default/shaking_head.gif

Well, if I recall, there is a lot of walking in The Stand too!

MoonSylver
21-Nov-2014, 05:23 PM
Well, if I recall, there is a lot of walking in The Stand too!

Exactly. ;) There's even a "Walking Dude" in it! :lol: