PDA

View Full Version : here is some very interesting astronomy news...

Mike70
03-Feb-2011, 03:52 PM
the Kepler space telescope has detected a possible 1,235 planets in its first 4 months. :stunned: 68 of these planets are approximately Earth size and 5 of the 68 earth size planets orbit in their parent star's habitable zone, where water would exist as a liquid.

these are all still preliminary but it is still damned interesting however you slice it.

oh i forgot to add: Kepler is going to scan about 150,000 stars before it's through.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1102/02kepler/

bassman
03-Feb-2011, 04:02 PM
Earth is the only planet with life because that's the way God made it. End of story. :shifty:

JDFP
03-Feb-2011, 04:18 PM
Earth is the only planet with life because that's the way God made it. End of story. :shifty:

Yeah man, and we've come a long way as a planet in the 4,000 years the planet has existed too! :D

j.p.

AcesandEights
03-Feb-2011, 06:10 PM
Yeah man, and we've come a long way as a planet in the 4,000 years the planet has existed too! :D

j.p.

Despite the loss of the dinosaurs during the great deluge...wish Noah had sprung for the double-wide ark.

It's funny, even though I see the story was just posted the other day, I thought I had heard something similar to this, perhaps they were just preliminary findings I had heard about?

MikePizzoff
04-Feb-2011, 08:34 AM
God did not build any planets outside of our solar system.

bassman
04-Feb-2011, 12:44 PM
God did not build any planets outside of our solar system.

He subcontracted Bill Nighy for the others.

Mike70
04-Feb-2011, 03:25 PM
He subcontracted Bill Nighy for the others.

:lol:
that cracked me the fook up.

blind2d
04-Feb-2011, 06:16 PM
I... I don't get it... feel free to ridicule me... but I would like to be let in on the joke...
On topic, sugoi!* I can't wait to help name the new planets!

*Awesome!

Neil
04-Feb-2011, 09:37 PM

j.p.
And how crafty the Devil was planting all those fake fossils in the ground suggesting such life existed hundreds of millions of years ago!

Rottedfreak
06-Feb-2011, 05:54 PM
And how crafty the Devil was planting all those fake fossils in the ground suggesting such life existed hundreds of millions of years ago!

It's not funny I read a account about a geologist Glenn Morton (http://home.entouch.net/dmd/gstory.htm)who noted three of his YEC students were totally unprepared for the real world geology petroleum geologists deal with, they became 'gasp' Atheists!!!! god hating dogmatic indoctrinated ATHEISTS!!!! They now worship the Evolutionist messiah Charles Darwin and cite the evolutionist gospel On the Origin of Species, they now BELIEVE the theory of evolution which encompasses the origin of the universe, the origin of life and the origin of modern life.

blind2d
06-Feb-2011, 06:15 PM
So... nobody has any ideas for new planet names, then?
Well at least I'm not alone...

Neil
07-Feb-2011, 07:42 AM
Both amazing and utterly depressing isn't it! To think of all these worlds, many of which will have conditions conducive to life... Yet, none of us, and indeed none one of probably hundreds or thousands of years will actually see these worlds, or life forms...

Our only hope for such a discovery in the near future are missions to Titan, Enceladus or Europa where just maybe, life may exist... But even this may not happen in our life times!

Seems a shame have to go to ones grave with such great unknowns still out there :(

Rancid Carcass
07-Feb-2011, 12:35 PM

LV-426.

Or failing that, Geoff. :D

blind2d
07-Feb-2011, 01:37 PM
There will always be unknowns, Neil. Don't let it get you down.
But yeah, it's a shame...

Some names I've thought of are Copacia, Indelia, Frull, and Pook-La-Doo.

AcesandEights
07-Feb-2011, 02:48 PM

It's overdone, but for proper names I've always been partial to the ol' classical or mythological reference.

That, or name them after transformers.

Neil
07-Feb-2011, 03:43 PM
There will always be unknowns, Neil. Don't let it get you down.
But yeah, it's a shame...

Some names I've thought of are Copacia, Indelia, Frull, and Pook-La-Doo.
But the depressing thing is in the case of Titan, Enceladus or Europa, they need not be unknowns! With current tech we could be there... With the will! Instead we're too preoccupied with blowing the $hit out of each other!

See sig!

Mitchified
07-Feb-2011, 03:46 PM

Does it matter? The Cylons will just destroy any colonies we put on them anyway.

blind2d
07-Feb-2011, 04:39 PM
I still haven't forgiven you for beating my score in Space Invaders, Mitchi-I'm-not-here-all-that-often!
I'm kidding, we're cool.
Cylons?! But those are way in the past! Are you saying they can time travel?
I think the Daleks are more of a threat...
In any case, yeah...

Mitchified
07-Feb-2011, 05:11 PM
I still haven't forgiven you for beating my score in Space Invaders, Mitchi-I'm-not-here-all-that-often!
I'm kidding, we're cool.
Cylons?! But those are way in the past! Are you saying they can time travel?
I think the Daleks are more of a threat...
In any case, yeah...

The Cylons were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many copies. They learned time travel.

And they have a plan.

Danny
07-Feb-2011, 05:31 PM
On topic, sugoi!*

*Awesome!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/1290152088850s.jpg

blind2d
07-Feb-2011, 06:28 PM
Nani, desu ka?

Danny
07-Feb-2011, 06:30 PM
Nani, desu ka?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/250m5b8.jpg

blind2d
07-Feb-2011, 09:43 PM
You keep posting pictures of guys like this Hells, and I'm gonna keep getting turned on...
You wouldn't like me when I'm turned on...

Danny
07-Feb-2011, 10:03 PM
You keep posting pictures of guys like this Hells, and I'm gonna keep getting turned on...
You wouldn't like me when I'm turned on...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/1290152387363s.jpg

blind2d
08-Feb-2011, 12:22 AM
Damn, now I'm hungry!
Curse you, Hells!!!! Curse you!!!!!

PS: Wish I had pictures of random people in my computer I could just whip out at a moment's notice...