PDA

View Full Version : Who knows how to make a map?

Chic Freak
10-Feb-2011, 05:59 PM
Does anyone know of a simple internet map-generator where you type in a list of places you're going and what order you're going to them in, and it will then produce a world map with your route drawn on?

Google My Maps is a real faff if you're travelling from say, London to Melbourne, rather than within a small local area, and Michelin Maps doesn't even have Australia :| Any ideas? Again, it seemed like the sort of random thing that someone on here might know! I want a map I can stick on my profiles etc to show people where I'll be going :)

Atm I'm hoping that will be:

1. Fly London --> Melbourne
2. Train/ bus Melbourne --> Victoria
3. Train Victoria --> Sydney
4. Train Sydney --> Gold Coast
5. Fly Gold Coast --> Singapore
6. Fly Singapore --> Shanghai
7. Shanghai --> Bangkok
8. Bangkok --> Hanoi
9. Hanoi --> Kuala Lumpur
10. Kuala Lumpur --> Tianjin
11. Train Tianjin --> Beijing
12. Train Beijing --> Tianjin
13. Tianjin --> Kuala Lumpur
14. Kuala Lumpur --> Hong Kong
15. Hong Kong --> Kuala Lumpur
16. Kuala Lumpur --> Tokyo
17. Tokyo --> Kuala Lumpur
18. Bus Kuala Lumpur --> Singapore
19. Bus Singapore --> Kuala Lumpur
20. Fly Kuala Lumpur --> London

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

This (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=London+Stansted+Airport,+Stansted,+United+Ki ngdom&daddr=Melbourne+Airport,+Victoria,+Australia+to:Vi ctoria,+Australia+to:Sydney,+New+South+Wales,+Aust ralia+to:Gold+Coast,+Queensland,+Australia+to:Sing apore+to:Shanghai,+China+to:Bangkok+Thailand+to:Ha noi,+Vietnam+to:Kuala+Lumpur+Airport+Sepang+Malays ia+to:Tianjin,+China+to:Beijing,+China+to:Tianjin, +China+to:Kuala+Lumpur+International+Airport+Sepan g+Malaysia+to:Hong+Kong+to:Kuala+Lumpur+Internatio nal+Airport+Sepang+Malaysia+to:Tokyo,+Japan+to:Kua la+Lumpur+Airport+Sepang+Malaysia+to:Singapore+to: Kuala+Lumpur+Airport+Sepang+Malaysia+to:London,+Un ited+Kingdom&geocode=FSi8FwMdnsEDACnHSuNpRo7YRzF0VXC6BZjqag%3BF WYywf0dDzmiCCnr_pem4ljWajEw0IwhdVYEBQ%3BFbQ7xP0dAT-hCClPlRh-SzHUajE0lYK-4vxOWg%3BFZsz-_0dszwDCSnFAZBWlpcSazFgqDIWaH0BBA%3BFTC6VP4d2CElCS l15nKKSxmRazGAr97zWqMCBA%3BFZOhFAAdPCowBil1k4uKIxH aMTHE9atSz2l4iA%3BFbmJ3AEdqIo9BykzPPWxQHCyNTGhZMMj lBKVAg%3BFRtn0QAdSCX9BSnzYQ0oMmAdMTEgSOJdsgABAQ%3B FXXxQAEdkCRPBimhHIbZm6s1MTGpF8pye3-I5w%3BFVgMKgAdruYPBildb-KzgL_NMTFxTTYi7WN4Gw%3BFbfwVAIdtYz8BimHDiweYvztNTE xQIgwt5RxhA%3BFdbjYAIddTzwBim5LBTnllLwNTGKqQ-vIFZiuQ%3BFbfwVAIdtYz8BimHDiweYvztNTExQIgwt5RxhA%3 BFVgMKgAdruYPBildb-KzgL_NMTFxTTYi7WN4Gw%3BFQy-VQEdOSzNBikPmDKj7eIDNDF8yerburOK8A%3BFVgMKgAdruYPB ildb-KzgL_NMTFxTTYi7WN4Gw%3BFRCUIAIduoZTCCnnVy7whxtdYDG JG1cii2EBLg%3BFVgMKgAdruYPBildb-KzgL_NMTFxTTYi7WN4Gw%3BFZOhFAAdPCowBil1k4uKIxHaMTH E9atSz2l4iA%3B%3B&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=4.565474,76.640625&sspn=119.97207,226.054688&ie=UTF8&ll=4.565474,76.640625&spn=119.97207,226.054688&z=2) is the closest I've managed so far but the labels on the map keep covering each other, so it's really not clear where I'm going, or the amount of time I'm going to be spending going back and forth between KL and other places. I really want lines between each place so it's easier to trace the route.

MikePizzoff
10-Feb-2011, 06:16 PM
I've done things like this for tours I've gone on. Just get a big map of the world and draw different colors for different modes of transportation. You can do this in person or on your computer using a free program such as Paint.

Chic Freak
10-Feb-2011, 06:24 PM
I've done things like this for tours I've gone on. Just get a big map of the world and draw different colors for different modes of transportation. You can do this in person or on your computer using a free program such as Paint.

That's what Liam suggested. Does he know me not at all?? I'd much rather spend hours Googling for a quick way of doing it than spend 10 minutes doing it by hand :p But it looks like I may have no choice :p I just want it to look vaguely professional and not obviously done in Paint :p

AcesandEights
10-Feb-2011, 06:44 PM
Google maps doesn't have an application to do this sort of thing?

DubiousComforts
10-Feb-2011, 08:10 PM
Have you tried Goggling "create travel map"? Lots of sites available with the option to export to Facebook, your web site, etc.

krakenslayer
10-Feb-2011, 11:42 PM
I seem to remember seeing a Facebook app for this at some point. Might be worth looking into. I'd try to find it but I'm on my phone so my access to that sort of content is limited.

Oh, nice to see you back, by the way. :D

Chic Freak
11-Feb-2011, 12:45 PM
Have you tried Goggling "create travel map"? Lots of sites available with the option to export to Facebook, your web site, etc.

Thank you! I was obviously searching for the wrong terms (e.g. "map generator route"). I now have my map- I think- does this (http://apps.facebook.com/travel-map/display.cfm?tripid=250833) work for people not on/ logged into Facebook? No image URL that I can see so I might just screengrab it into Paint :)

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv330/anitadebauch/asia2011map.jpg

Oh, nice to see you back, by the way. :D

Ding dong, the witch ain't dead :p HP is like the Hotel California: you can check out but you can never leave.