PDA

View Full Version : buying an xbox 360

p2501
20-Jun-2006, 04:43 PM
are they still in short supply? i'm thinking of taking the plunge at the end of the summer, sooner if my settlement shows up. but i'm curious if i'll have to preorder then dammed thing then wait umteen months. or if it's cash and carry.

also those of with one, have you grabbed the wifi adapter? if so how doe sit compater to the ethernet conection?

that's all.

Danny
20-Jun-2006, 04:50 PM
there in too high a supply in england you cant go ina game or gamestation (because lets face it game are ripoff merchants, £40 for a gamecube game when a cube costs 30?!?) ive seen em in enlgnad as low as £250 for premium so they should be cheap in america now too.
im getting mine in august so i cant wait for dead rising.:D
i say go for it, if you save up the launch price for a ps3 youll be able to get a 360 and a wii.:lol:

bassman
20-Jun-2006, 04:59 PM
I don't know anything about games or game systems....but at this point, you could probably hold out for another month or two and there would be a new *better* system out there:p

Bunker65
20-Jun-2006, 05:06 PM
You won't have any problems finding them now. It's pretty much cash & carry these days. :D

I don't personally use the wireless adapter but I know of a few friends that use it & it's great. They've had no problems with it whatsoever. The set up was easy & the connection is seemless.

p2501
20-Jun-2006, 05:34 PM
I don't know anything about games or game systems....but at this point, you could probably hold out for another month or two and there would be a new *better* system out there:p

if you mean the P$3? your off it.

if you mean the Wii, my preorder is already in, and has been for months.

the x360 is more so to replace my old xbox which is finally dying.

there in too high a supply in england you cant go ina game or gamestation (because lets face it game are ripoff merchants, £40 for a gamecube game when a cube costs 30?!?) ive seen em in enlgnad as low as £250 for premium so they should be cheap in america now too.
im getting mine in august so i cant wait for dead rising.:D
i say go for it, if you save up the launch price for a ps3 youll be able to get a 360 and a wii.:lol:

i want to buy it at a best buy, because they have an extended warranty program that's damn easy to manipulate to my favor, should the unit ever crap out.

Tullaryx
20-Jun-2006, 06:08 PM
Check the local Gamestop or EB Games in your area. They're usually getting weekly shipments of both core and premium units. Best bet is to call ahead and make sure they have them. Just remember that Dead Rising is just around the corner. I think enough reason for you to buy a 360. :)

Bunker65
20-Jun-2006, 06:19 PM
Just remember that Dead Rising is just around the corner. I think enough reason for you to buy a 360. :)

Ain't that the truth :D. Also, i just picked up Rockstar's Table Tennis. It's a really fun game to play with friends. Haven't tried it over Live yet but I think it would be great :cool:.

general tbag
20-Jun-2006, 06:26 PM
dont even bother, they are nice and all but more of a status symbol , yea they are everywhere now.i hate to say but like alot of newly launched system it amost takes a year or so till a decent library of games are avaliable. most 360 games have just been next gened ports of xbox games. i would wait. i sold my 360 after only couple of days and if the rumours are correct the 360 will see a price drop before wii and ps3 launch .

p2501
20-Jun-2006, 06:49 PM
dont even bother, they are nice and all but more of a status symbol , yea they are everywhere now.i hate to say but like alot of newly launched system it amost takes a year or so till a decent library of games are avaliable. most 360 games have just been next gened ports of xbox games. i would wait. i sold my 360 after only couple of days and if the rumours are correct the 360 will see a price drop before wii and ps3 launch .

i agree with you about launch systems. but as it'a almost one year later, the 360 does have enough games either our now or forth comming to staisfy me untill 2007. hell BF2 will last me until the end of the year. it's multiplayer is like crack.

having said that, i think the price drop is a bit of a rumor. if anything the basic 360 might drop 50 bucks, and the premium system may come in two varieties one with the hard drive, and another with the HD dvd drive. but i'm purely guessing. however if MS does drop the 360's price less than one year after premeiring it, they'd be gods. a 360 for half the price of a P$3 would rule Xmas 2006 with an iron first.

Tullaryx
20-Jun-2006, 06:58 PM
The second generation 360 games are set to be loosed upon the world. I know Chromehounds just went gold and that game looks sick if you enjoyed MechAssault and Armored Core.

general tbag
20-Jun-2006, 08:03 PM
i agree with you about launch systems. but as it'a almost one year later, the 360 does have enough games either our now or forth comming to staisfy me untill 2007. hell BF2 will last me until the end of the year. it's multiplayer is like crack.

having said that, i think the price drop is a bit of a rumor. if anything the basic 360 might drop 50 bucks, and the premium system may come in two varieties one with the hard drive, and another with the HD dvd drive. but i'm purely guessing. however if MS does drop the 360's price less than one year after premeiring it, they'd be gods. a 360 for half the price of a P$3 would rule Xmas 2006 with an iron first.

i dont think the add on will really make a difference. after all no system with a add on to the system has ever suceeded. and other than movies it wont be a requirement till a few gens away . like i said the 360 is just rehashing the older gen games, bf2 included.

CoinReturn
20-Jun-2006, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't expect to see a price drop for the 360 for a while yet. At E3, when Sony announced the $600 price point, it took a lot of pressure off of Microsoft to drop the price, seeing as its already $200 cheaper than the competition.

I have to admit, the first generation of 360 games had been lacking in the sense that they weren't signifigantly better looking or played any differently than the current gen. As the months passed, some truly great games came out and changed my expectations for the system. There are a ****load of great games coming this fall, in particular Gears of War (http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=10463&type=mov&pl=game)(thats all in-game footage). Thats the game that will sell systems for Microsoft. That and Dead Rising, of course.:D

Right now the only thing on PS3 thats enticing to me is Metal Gear Solid 4.

general tbag
20-Jun-2006, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't expect to see a price drop for the 360 for a while yet. At E3, when Sony announced the $600 price point, it took a lot of pressure off of Microsoft to drop the price, seeing as its already $200 cheaper than the competition.

I have to admit, the first generation of 360 games had been lacking in the sense that they weren't signifigantly better looking or played any differently than the current gen. As the months passed, some truly great games came out and changed my expectations for the system. There are a ****load of great games coming this fall, in particular Gears of War (http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=10463&type=mov&pl=game)(thats all in-game footage). Thats the game that will sell systems for Microsoft. That and Dead Rising, of course.:D

Right now the only thing on PS3 thats enticing to me is Metal Gear Solid 4.

you forgot about the wii, truly the next gen system to fear. if it is 200 it will be 2x cheaper than the 360 and 3x cheaper than the ps3.

also top off the new zelda with a new mario, and online play.

gamers are getting wiser after this last generation of games, gfx and such dont make a game, it about gameplay and story .innovation is gonna sell more units than good gfx.

Tullaryx
20-Jun-2006, 09:28 PM
Really the add-on is just a way to placate the techophiles who want something to play HD-DVD encoded films on. Until a developer actually comes out and say that Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD made it easier for them to create an HD game then it's all smoke a mirrors. Microsoft did the smart thing by not caving in to pressure by making it mandatory to have Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. The way sales of both type of discs are going it will be years before the new formats become readily acceptable to the general consumer and even before they decided which of the new format wins.

If any, I have a feeling that Microsoft will come out with a much larger HDD. I know that one of the buzzwords in the recent E3 was downloading games directly from the publishers a la Valve's Steam. With the constant updating and additional features being put into XBLive, I see it as a strong possibility that a Live-user can have games available for downloading straight to his HDD.

Danny
20-Jun-2006, 11:39 PM

thast true only the gamecube ha had a decent luanch set.

...well to bhe honest when you have smash bros which i still havent worth it a cubes worth that alone, cant wait for snake vs link in brawl.

ive preordered a wii (notice since miyamotos awe inspiring e3 show no one laughs anymore?, now that guy commands respect, hes the romero of games isnt he?).

cant wait for my 360, couldnt give two ****s about any of the games out right now, im waiting for dead rising, tony hawks project 8 (wether i want to or not, its a jackass fans addicition) ,resistance fall of man, bioshock (so glad thats coming onto 360 too!), and finally the awe inspiring steven king-em up alan wake:D

im looking forward to wake so much i registered on the froums long ago, were the remedy staff also drop the rare egg of knowledge on max payne 3 rumors.....

general tbag
21-Jun-2006, 12:23 AM
thast true only the gamecube ha had a decent luanch set.

...well to bhe honest when you have smash bros which i still havent worth it a cubes worth that alone, cant wait for snake vs link in brawl.

ive preordered a wii (notice since miyamotos awe inspiring e3 show no one laughs anymore?, now that guy commands respect, hes the romero of games isnt he?).

cant wait for my 360, couldnt give two ****s about any of the games out right now, im waiting for dead rising, tony hawks project 8 (wether i want to or not, its a jackass fans addicition) ,resistance fall of man, bioshock (so glad thats coming onto 360 too!), and finally the awe inspiring steven king-em up alan wake:D

im looking forward to wake so much i registered on the froums long ago, were the remedy staff also drop the rare egg of knowledge on max payne 3 rumors.....

i could never get into any of the smash bros games, i think my addiction to sf2 and mk2 in the arcades warped me for any other fighting games.

btw i bought my gc souly for rogue squadron 2. what an awesome game for the time. still i s.

Danny
21-Jun-2006, 12:45 AM
btw i bought my gc souly for rogue squadron 2. what an awesome game for the time. still i s.

word bitch rogue squadron like a muther ****er!

sorry but i love that game, it ws like t2, wereas the sequel was liek t3 literally and unmerically:lol:

Danny
22-Jun-2006, 02:13 PM
oh and i just found out i might be getting my 360 on sunday a few months early, hells yeah, so whats the deal with a online thing you dont have to pay for like silver or whatever?, whats that about ?, plus im on silver aol so will it work?:confused:

CoinReturn
22-Jun-2006, 02:36 PM
If you have Broadband, you can use Xbox Live, basically. The silver level is free for Live, and you can do everyting except play games online(download demos, videos, message friends, etc). Gold is $50 a year, and well worth it. I think if you buy a 360 you get a 3 month trial membership to Gold.

Bunker65
22-Jun-2006, 02:43 PM
If you have Broadband, you can use Xbox Live, basically. The silver level is free for Live, and you can do everyting except play games online(download demos, videos, message friends, etc). Gold is $50 a year, and well worth it. I think if you buy a 360 you get a 3 month trial membership to Gold.

As I already had an Xbox Live membership when I purchased my 360 I'm not sure of the length of the trial Gold Membership (I thought it was 30 days) but either way you do get a free trial.

The Gold membership is well worth the $50.00 per year & I would highly recommened that you get it when you can hellsing :D. Let the people here know & we can add you to our friends lists on Live :cool:.

p2501
22-Jun-2006, 03:52 PM
i dont think the add on will really make a difference. after all no system with a add on to the system has ever suceeded. and other than movies it wont be a requirement till a few gens away . like i said the 360 is just rehashing the older gen games, bf2 included.

I'll need to back search, but i think the Sega Cd kicked ass as an addone to the original console. so there is a whopping 1. my point more so is with the DVD format "war" (pssshh) heating up. i think microsofts big kick this year will be selling 360's to those that don't have them. and selling the HD DVD units to those that already do. the drive is suposed to go fo $80-100, so 1 drive and 4-5 HD DVDs running at 25-30 a pop would be a decent Xmas gift this year.

If any, I have a feeling that Microsoft will come out with a much larger HDD. I know that one of the buzzwords in the recent E3 was downloading games directly from the publishers a la Valve's Steam. With the constant updating and additional features being put into XBLive, I see it as a strong possibility that a Live-user can have games available for downloading straight to his HDD.

i was thinking about this as well. with the new upgrades to the XBL marketplace, it's tactic would tend to fit very well.

from waht i gather, Microsoft is trying to make the idea of game demos, which is common for PC games, more previlant for 360 games. which would make sense, at $60 a game, i'd like to try it a little before ordering it

The Gold membership is well worth the $50.00 per year & I would highly recommened that you get it when you can hellsing :D. Let the people here know & we can add you to our friends lists on Live :cool:.

here's a question. if i already have an active XBL account on my xbox, will it transfer over to my 360?

that would just kick exorbident ass.

Bunker65
22-Jun-2006, 05:44 PM
here's a question. if i already have an active XBL account on my xbox, will it transfer over to my 360?

that would just kick exorbident ass.

Yes, if you already have an Xbox Live account it transfers over to the 360. Once you get your 360 & hook it up for Live all you need do is go through the "Recover Gamer Tag" option & you are good to go. That's just what I did when I got my 360 in December after just renewing my Xbox Live account in November. It was a completly painless & simple process :D.

general tbag
22-Jun-2006, 06:43 PM
paying for xbox live is worth every cent. dont even bother with the silver.

p2501
22-Jun-2006, 07:20 PM
oh that just rukles.

Hab1B Marwan lives again!!!!!!!

Bunker65
22-Jun-2006, 07:44 PM
oh that just rukles.

Hab1B Marwan lives again!!!!!!!

That gamertag looks familiar to me from the TeamXbox forums. Did you or do you post there ??

Danny
22-Jun-2006, 07:51 PM
As I already had an Xbox Live membership when I purchased my 360 I'm not sure of the length of the trial Gold Membership (I thought it was 30 days) but either way you do get a free trial.

well i live on a new poorly cowboy built estate so we cant get higher than uhh....512kb....i think so i cant get live yet.
ive allready prepared by signing up a gamertag account, Black Hellsing, origional huh?:D

well 'I_AM_THE_ROXORS' was taken surprisingly,lol.

but yeah i cant wait till i can get it here cus its well worth the creds o pay for it, oh and i signed up to the underground section, that way i can use swear words like 'bugger' ,'bollox' and 'ruddy' :D

general tbag
22-Jun-2006, 07:54 PM
well i live on a new poorly cowboy built estate so we cant get higher than uhh....512kb....i think so i cant get live yet.
ive allready prepared by signing up a gamertag account, Black Hellsing, origional huh?:D

check with ur isp to see if qos is included with your connection, it might help your bandwidth limitation. expect to be kicked if ur laggy , not only from players, but also microsoft.

Bunker65
22-Jun-2006, 08:02 PM
but yeah i cant wait till i can get it here cus its well worth the creds o pay for it, oh and i signed up to the underground section, that way i can use swear words like 'bugger' ,'bollox' and 'ruddy' :D

No need to worry about those words. I've heard FAR worse on Live :). Generally it's great but you have times where the foulmouthed racist crew gets into a game & make it interesting. Plus, if you are playing against American's most won't know what the bloody hell "bugger", "bollox" & "ruddy" mean :lol:.

Danny
22-Jun-2006, 08:06 PM
i actually heard in a games magazine "now all the teenage americans have left the halo multiplayer alone on live we can play it free of being called a 'douchebag' or racist comments, huzzah!":D

HELLLLLLLLSSSSS YYYEEEAAAAAH!.

my family came into some cash today and im getting my 360 tomorrow, 2 months early, ....well technically 6 monthss too late but i dont care, next bring on my dead rising and wii, i hope theyve got oblivion in.:D