PDA

View Full Version : Myers-Briggs Personality Test

JDFP
14-Feb-2011, 11:57 PM
Anyone else here taken the Myers-Brigg Personality test? You can google it and find it online for free.

I'm an INTJ, which probably doesn't come to much of a surprise to anyone here.

Here's a definition of INTJ's:

From Wikipedia:

Hallmarks of the INTJ include independence of thought and a desire for efficiency. They work best when given autonomy and creative freedom. They harbor an innate desire to express themselves by conceptualizing their own intellectual designs. They have a talent for analyzing and formulating complex theories. INTJs are generally well-suited for occupations within academia, research, consulting, management, science, engineering, and law. They are often acutely aware of their own knowledge and abilities—as well as their limitations and what they don't know (a quality that tends to distinguish them from INTPs). INTJs thus develop a strong confidence in their ability and talents, making them natural leaders.

In forming relationships, INTJs tend to seek out others with similar character traits and ideologies. Agreement on theoretical concepts is an important aspect of their relationships. By nature INTJs can be demanding in their expectations, and approach relationships in a rational manner. As a result, INTJs may not always respond to a spontaneous infatuation but wait for a mate who better fits their set criteria. They tend to be stable, reliable, and dedicated. Harmony in relationships and home life tends to be extremely important to them. They generally withhold strong emotion and do not like to waste time with what they consider irrational social rituals. This may cause non-INTJs to perceive them as distant and reserved; nevertheless, INTJs are usually very loyal partners who are prepared to commit substantial energy and time into a relationship to make it work.

As mates, INTJs want harmony and order in the home and in relationships. The most independent of all types,[16] INTJs trust their intuition when choosing friends and mates—even in spite of contradictory evidence or pressure from others. The emotions of an INTJ are hard to read, and neither male nor female INTJs are apt to express emotional reactions. At times, INTJs seem cold, reserved, and unresponsive, while in fact they are almost hypersensitive to signals of rejection from those they care for. In social situations, INTJs may also be unresponsive and may neglect small rituals designed to put others at ease. For example, INTJs may communicate that idle dialogue such as small talk is a waste of time. This may create the impression that the INTJ is in a hurry—an impression that is not always intended. In their interpersonal relationships, INTJs are usually better in a working situation than in a recreational situation.

I'd be interested in your own deductions from taking the test if you've done it before. If not, go do it. It's highly interesting and then read some more about your specific personality.

j.p.

Publius
15-Feb-2011, 12:13 AM
Close. I'm an ISTJ. Which suits me quite well.

blind2d
15-Feb-2011, 01:15 AM
I'm INFJ it seems... whatever.

Kaos
15-Feb-2011, 01:28 AM
I'm INTJ too, JD. I knew there was something about ya I liked. :sneaky:

JDFP
15-Feb-2011, 01:30 AM
I'm INTJ too, JD. I knew there was something about ya I liked. :sneaky:

Well, Kaos, we 'Masterminds' have to stick together after all. :D

It wouldn't surprise me if Wyld turned out to be INTJ as well. Where the frack is that guy?

EDIT: I think if Terran took the test he might make it explode.

j.p.

bassman
15-Feb-2011, 01:41 AM
Hrm. INTJ.

So....now what do I do with this information?

JDFP
15-Feb-2011, 01:45 AM
That's just... ironic. There has to be some type of correlation between the message boards (about 3 of them) and INTJ people. It seems that some of the most intelligent people I know turn out to be INTJ -- and the irony of it is that we're the least common out of all the possible outcomes. We only represent approximately 1%-2% of the population.

This isn't to say that others who have other outcomes aren't some fascinating and highly intelligent people as well. It's just strange how so many happen to fall into the INTJ category that I know and associate with in some form or fashion when it's the least common out of all the possible outcomes.

j.p.

White_Zombie
15-Feb-2011, 05:37 AM
I took this test also and got the same result "INTJ". I've been reading into my personality type with fascination, and it seems pretty accurate. Also a little side not only 3% of the people who take that test get the result of INTJ, so it's pretty rare.

clanglee
15-Feb-2011, 10:45 AM
Last time I took the test I was an INFP. Dunno about now.

LoSTBoY
15-Feb-2011, 10:52 AM
INTJ also. :shifty:

Danny
15-Feb-2011, 11:59 AM
ENTP: "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 5% of the total population.

or according to the wiki entry:

Using their primary function-attitude of extraverted intuition (Ne), ENTPs are quick to see complex interrelationships between people, things, and ideas. These interrelationships are analyzed in profound detail through the ENTPs auxiliary function, introverted thinking (Ti). The result is an in-depth understanding of the way things and relationships work, and how they can be improved. To the ENTP, competence and intelligence are particularly prized, both in themselves and in other people.
ENTPs are frequently described as clever, cerebrally and verbally quick, enthusiastic, outgoing, innovative, flexible, loyal and resourceful. ENTPs are motivated by a desire to understand and improve the world they live in. They are usually accurate in sizing up a situation. They may have a perverse sense of humor and sometimes play devil's advocate, which can create misunderstandings with friends, coworkers, and family. ENTPs are ingenious and adept at directing relationships between means and ends. ENTPs devise fresh, unexpected solutions to difficult problems. However, they are less interested in generating and following through with detailed plans than in generating ideas and possibilities. In a team environment, ENTPs are most effective in a role where they can draw on their abilities to offer deep understanding, a high degree of flexibility, and innovative solutions to problems. The ENTP regards a comment like "it can't be done" as a personal challenge, and, if properly motivated, will spare no effort to discover a solution.

Inventors are introspective, pragmatic, informative, and expressive. They can become highly skilled in functional engineering and invention. Of all the role variants, Inventors are the most resistant to doing things a certain way just because it was done that way in the past. Intensely curious, Inventors are always looking for new projects to work on, and they have an entrepreneurial character. Designing and improving mechanisms and products is a constant goal of Inventors.
Though full of ideas, Inventors are primarily interested in those that can be put into action or used to make products. For example, they see product design as a means to an end, the goal being a marketable prototype. When beginning a project, they rarely start with a blueprint. Rather they are confident in their ability to find effective and pragmatic solutions during the design process.
Inventors tend to be laid back, nonjudgmental, and good conversationalists. They are often nonconformists who attract a circle of friends interested in their ideas or activities. Generally informative rather than directive in their social exchanges, Inventors are often able to explain their own complicated ideas well, and to comprehend the complex ideas of others. In arguments they may use debating skills, often to the significant disadvantage of their opponent. This strategy can backfire, however, by alienating those seeking a cooperative relationship rather than a combative one.
Inventors are usually ingenious individuals who are capable of rising to meet the demands of challenging situations. In work, they tend to be good leaders of pilot products that test their abilities. Constantly looking for new ways to do things, Inventors usually have the drive and the social skills to implement their ideas.

taken it a few times over the years, always the same. Not to surprised mines different honestly- not in a ooh look how special i am kinda way, i just think im one of the members on here with a more uncommon personality type, whereas others on here seem a lot more similar to each other if you get my meaning.

Mr.G
15-Feb-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm a ISTJ.....it appears most of us are introverts, which makes me laugh.

krakenslayer
15-Feb-2011, 02:15 PM
INTP, but to be honest, it's not all that accurate. I always find these personality tests difficult because a) I've studied psychology and am too aware of where certain questions are leading to answer completely without thinking, and b) I act differently at different times and situations. For example the two questions "You trust reason rather than feelings" and the question "You tend to plan things in advance" are trying to measure the same thing - how organised and analytical you are. However, for me, the answers to these two questions are totally different: I DO like to think I rely on reasoning rather than feelings, however I am also a lazy bastard that tends to leave things to the last minute. I think there are too many contradictions either in the test or in my own personality to make it truly accurate.

JDFP
15-Feb-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm a ISTJ.....it appears most of us are introverts, which makes me laugh.

Oh, absolutely. It's definitely no surprise that most folks who frequent a message board are introverts (it's the same way on the other two message boards I frequent as well). The extroverts are out in the sunshine somewhere. :D

j.p.

Danny
15-Feb-2011, 03:38 PM
Oh, absolutely. It's definitely no surprise that most folks who frequent a message board are introverts (it's the same way on the other two message boards I frequent as well). The extroverts are out in the sunshine somewhere. :D

j.p.

Well lets be honest. Horror movies, particularly zombie ones by and large can attract certain types of people over others y'know?

AcesandEights
15-Feb-2011, 03:43 PM
Well lets be honest. Horror movies, particularly zombie ones by and large can attract certain types of people over others y'know?

Pffft! Typical ENTP Greek salad :p

Kaos
15-Feb-2011, 03:45 PM
INTP, but to be honest, it's not all that accurate. I always find these personality tests difficult because a) I've studied psychology and am too aware of where certain questions are leading to answer completely without thinking, and b) I act differently at different times and situations. For example the two questions "You trust reason rather than feelings" and the question "You tend to plan things in advance" are trying to measure the same thing - how organised and analytical you are. However, for me, the answers to these two questions are totally different: I DO like to think I rely on reasoning rather than feelings, however I am also a lazy bastard that tends to leave things to the last minute. I think there are too many contradictions either in the test or in my own personality to make it truly accurate.

Also, I think that any test that measures 4 pairs of opposing characteristics can only say so much about a person anyway. I think it has some value though. I had a professionally administered test done back in 2004. It came back with a detailed analysis of the results. Each measure was broken into 10 or so sub-components. For me, I was a strong "I", but one of the sub-components of my Introvert Extrovert score showed that I was a strong extrovert when speaking about a topic I know very well. Which is true, I have no problems doing presentations professionally.

blind2d
15-Feb-2011, 04:30 PM
You sound like my mom.

Kaos
15-Feb-2011, 04:52 PM
You sound like my mom.

How? Does your mom exploit willing suspension of disbelief by religiously making fart noises during every movie sex scene that she sees in order to "ruin it" for everyone else? Cuz thatz how I roll, beeeyotch! :eek:

shootemindehead
15-Feb-2011, 05:04 PM
Anyone else here taken the Myers-Brigg Personality test? You can google it and find it online for free.

I'm an INTJ, which probably doesn't come to much of a surprise to anyone here.

Funny, I always figured you for a JDFP kind of guy.

JDFP
15-Feb-2011, 05:40 PM
Funny, I always figured you for a JDFP kind of guy.

Why would I want to be a JDFP kind of guy? I hear he's a real grade-A asshole anyway...

j.p.

blind2d
16-Feb-2011, 03:13 AM
How? Does your mom exploit willing suspension of disbelief by religiously making fart noises during every movie sex scene that she sees in order to "ruin it" for everyone else? Cuz thatz how I roll, beeeyotch! :eek:
I had to read through that a couple times... I said "like" not "identical"... no offense meant, sir.

rongravy
16-Feb-2011, 04:54 AM
INTP.
w00t.

Kaos
16-Feb-2011, 11:49 AM
I had to read through that a couple times... I said "like" not "identical"... no offense meant, sir.

Just playing, 2d. I was just saying that I doubt your mom has my sick sense of humor is all. :)

blind2d
16-Feb-2011, 03:30 PM
Aha, okay then. Yes... you're right, I'm sure...

DjfunkmasterG
16-Feb-2011, 07:04 PM
My Job gave me this test last year... I forget what I came out as... I think it was ENTP... I know another evalutaion they gave us... actually said in the text to management.

"It is not wise to cross this individual, he does nothing out of the kindness of his heart, and if crossed payback/retaliation can be expected."

"Will be very direct and expound his dislike for other individuals he finds to be annoying or negative"

"Is goal oriented, and achieves results quickly"

"Quality is his biggest priority"

"While extroverted, this individual also enjoys solitude as way too wind down"

"Tips for management"

"This individual does not like to be micro managed"

"Shows a high intellect, and has no time or patience for those who are indecisive, lazy, or unsure of themselves."

"Will take charge" - my favorite

"Can keep people in line, and never makes weak threats" My other favorite

To summarize... Yep, I am an asshole

Kaos
16-Feb-2011, 07:45 PM
What I find not so surprising is that it cautions crossing you, DJ, since crossing people is just one of the many available options employers have in their bag of tricks. They expect you to be professional, however they can fuck you over in any known way possible and feel victimized if there are reprisals.

Danny
16-Feb-2011, 08:39 PM
My Job gave me this test last year... I forget what I came out as... I think it was ENTP... I know another evalutaion they gave us... actually said in the text to management.

"It is not wise to cross this individual, he does nothing out of the kindness of his heart, and if crossed payback/retaliation can be expected."

"Will be very direct and expound his dislike for other individuals he finds to be annoying or negative"

"Tips for management"

"Shows a high intellect, and has no time or patience for those who are indecisive, lazy, or unsure of themselves."

i prefer the description i got, still ENTP-brofist.

bassman
16-Feb-2011, 08:43 PM
With that list of charges....no wonder you're a director DJ. :p

shootemindehead
17-Feb-2011, 12:02 PM

"Tips for management"

Jesus DJ, who are you working for? The Mafia?

Mike70
17-Feb-2011, 01:28 PM
I am the very epitome of the INTP type.

this paragraph is a damn near spot on description of my personality:

INTPs are quiet, thoughtful, analytical individuals who tend to spend long periods of time on their own, working through problems and forming solutions. They are curious about systems and how things work. Consequently, they are frequently found in careers such as science, architecture, and law. INTPs tend to be less at ease in social situations or in the "caring professions," although they enjoy the company of those who share their interests. They prize autonomy in themselves and others. They generally balk at attempts by others to convince them to change. They also tend to be impatient with the bureaucracy, rigid hierarchies, and the politics prevalent in many professions. INTPs have little regard for titles and badges, which they often consider to be unjustified. INTPs usually come to distrust authority as hindering the uptake of novel ideas and the search for knowledge. INTPs accept ideas based on merit, rather than tradition or authority. They have little patience for social customs that seem illogical or that serve as obstacles for pursuing ideas and knowledge. This may place them at odds with people who have an SJ preference, since SJs tend to defer to authority, tradition, and what the rest of the group is doing.[2] INTPs prefer to work informally with others as equals.[11]

that is me in a nutshell.

FoodFight
19-Feb-2011, 05:50 PM
Bah! I've given up on such tests since I failed the Voight-Kampff.

kortick
20-Feb-2011, 05:09 PM
Eh u really wanna learn about yourself
and others?
take the SCID (Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV).
takes anywhere from 2-3 hours

Not only does it give u real enlightenment on ur
own actions and behaviors, but also for the behavior
of others.

Not an internet test, has to be done by a professional.
Everybody is crazy to some extent.
Understanding it is really the issue.

acealive1
20-Feb-2011, 06:50 PM
this test reminds me of................."theres a turtle in the desert on its shell........"

shootemindehead
20-Feb-2011, 07:09 PM
this test reminds me of................."theres a turtle in the desert on its shell........"

Fuck him.

So Mr Deckard, am I a robot?

Wooley
20-Mar-2011, 12:35 AM
Another INTJ here. Introverts of the world unite! Online!