PDA

View Full Version : TV's New Wonder Woman?

wayzim
18-Feb-2011, 03:27 PM
Caught this on G4's AOTS the other day, and the more I read about it on various sites, it doesn't bode well for our gal from Paradise Island.

Firstly, Adrianne Palicki, who I'd never heard of until now.
Guys, tell me this is a good choice?

Second, let's write a script which removes all traces of her Amazonian Origins, just make it about a career woman who moonlights as a vigilante? This makes the thankfully short lived new Bionic Woman look like High Concept.
It at least redeemed the 1974 Cathy Lee Crosby Tv movie, which alot of folks blasted at the time. This is several times worse.

So far I think Linda Carter will still remain the ultimate Amazon.

Wayne Z

bassman
18-Feb-2011, 03:40 PM
Never heard of her either, but I couldn't care any less for a TV series. It will most likely turn out to be another Smallville - A tween soap opera masquerading as a superhero adaptation...

It's strange they're going the TV route while WB is making an honest effort to get their other DC heroes on the big screen.(Green Lantern, Flash, etc)

She's not very good looking, imho. Reminds me of Kelly Clarkson. Yuck...

Mitchified
18-Feb-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm not a fan of the concept of a Wonder Woman television series in general. Sure, it worked in the 70s, but so did Mork & Mindy.

Personally, I've always thought that a Green Lantern, Nightwing, or a good Flash series could work extremely well. Wonder Woman is one of those characters that seems to become less effective and important the more that she's seen. Sort of a reverse Oracle.

blind2d
18-Feb-2011, 04:53 PM
I thought Mork and Mindy was '80's... Anyway, yeah, more Smallville-type shit? Unknown actress? ANY superheroes on television? I'll pass. The only good one in recent memory (past ten years or so) was the first episode of Heroes. Because of Keroro on the Japanese guy's desk. That's it.
"His name was Hiro. Very original, mister script-writer." - Noodle
Oh yeah, that's it. Only interesting character on the show.

Mitchified
18-Feb-2011, 04:57 PM
I thought Mork and Mindy was '80's...

It split the difference, 1978-1982. According to Wikipedia the series saw a sharp decline in the third and fourth seasons, so it only really worked in the 70s.

That's right, come to Homepage of the Dead for the zombies, stay for the Mork & Mindy trivia.

blind2d
18-Feb-2011, 05:06 PM
Haha, thanks for filling my brain with yet more useless information. Seems I'm addicted to the stuff...
Punk rock Mork is not...

AcesandEights
18-Feb-2011, 07:03 PM
a script which removes all traces of her Amazonian Origins, just make it about a career woman who moonlights as a vigilante?

Wat?!

But the Amazonian schtick is the best part.

http://www.evilmonk.org/a/images/ww_bound03.jpg

darth los
18-Feb-2011, 07:36 PM
^^^^

Is that to say that any deviation from from a lesbian storyline wouldn't be true to the source material?

I'm sorry guys but between, bats actually SLEEPING with dick grayson and this DC comics were totally gay. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

:cool:

Mitchified
18-Feb-2011, 07:42 PM
^^^^

Is that to say that any deviation from from a lesbian storyline wouldn't be true to the source material?

I'm sorry guys but between, bats actually SLEEPING with dick grayson and this DC comics were totally gay. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

The real story behind Wonder Woman might actually be stranger than the fiction. The creator was William Marston, and he lived with both his wife and his mistress in a polyamorous relationship. The whole thing with the wrapping the lasso of truth around villains and wearing the bracelets was based on the bondage fetishes that they were into. In one interview he even said, and I quote, "The only hope for peace is to teach people who are full of pep and unbound force to enjoy being bound ... Only when the control of self by others is more pleasant than the unbound assertion of self in human relationships can we hope for a stable, peaceful human society. ... Giving to others, being controlled by them, submitting to other people cannot possibly be enjoyable without a strong erotic element."

Wonder Woman was literally designed as a sex slave that just happened to be a warrior.

darth los
18-Feb-2011, 07:49 PM
The real story behind Wonder Woman might actually be stranger than the fiction. The creator was William Marston, and he lived with both his wife and his mistress in a polyamorous relationship. The whole thing with the wrapping the lasso of truth around villains and wearing the bracelets was based on the bondage fetishes that they were into. In one interview he even said, and I quote, "The only hope for peace is to teach people who are full of pep and unbound force to enjoy being bound ... Only when the control of self by others is more pleasant than the unbound assertion of self in human relationships can we hope for a stable, peaceful human society. ... Giving to others, being controlled by them, submitting to other people cannot possibly be enjoyable without a strong erotic element."

Wonder Woman was literally designed as a sex slave that just happened to be a warrior.

Fuck me. Now that's inside info folks.

I did not know that. Good stuff. Good post.

Mitchified
18-Feb-2011, 08:15 PM
Fuck me. Now that's inside info folks.

I did not know that. Good stuff. Good post.

You want to know something that seems even stranger to me? In the 1960s, DC tried to update Wonder Woman and changed the look of her character. They did away with the bondage slave outfit and dressed her up in something more like a woman's outfit from a kung fu movie (kind of a long robe/dress thing with a slit running up one leg). They also took away her powers and had her train in martial arts. They were basically trying to make her a stronger character that women could relate to more. The storylines were even changed to make her more of a feminist and to give her more adult stories. It was almost more like a spy series than a superhero one, kind of like Nick Fury was if you're familiar with that title.

So making Wonder Woman less of a sex symbol and getting her away from being designed after a bondage sex slave should have really impressed the feminist movement, right?

Wrong. The Women's Liberation Movement complained about the changes. It stated that doing that to Wonder Woman somehow made her less of a role model to girls and women since she was depowered and less sexualized. The WLM wanted the original costume back with some tweaks (nothing to major, just a redesign of her trademark eagle emblem and the switch from her skirt to more of a bathing suit style bottom) along with the powers. So Wonder Woman was restored back to her roots due to this.

bassman
18-Mar-2011, 08:48 PM
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/110318/Adrianne-Palicki-Wonder-Woman_338.jpg

Mitchified
18-Mar-2011, 09:49 PM
Kill it. Kill it now.

bassman
19-Mar-2011, 12:19 AM
Kill it. Kill it now.

:lol:

Seriously. That's just awful. It doesn't look any better than the popular women's halloween costume that you can buy at any number of party supply stores. Even Lynda Carter's suit in the original series was better than this.

I didn't have too much faith in the series from the start, but I believe this just totally wrecked it.....

Danny
19-Mar-2011, 12:38 AM
blerg. shes a shit super hero that started as a thinly veiled bondage fetish. i dont know who will give a shit about this series. why not just make a batman series? we've had the flash, superman why not a series about the worlds greatest detective to show another side to the character other than the dark knight we see in the movies?

plus the costumes stupid when she got a redesigned one thats a lot more practical.

bassman
19-Mar-2011, 01:18 AM
we've had the flash, superman

You referring to the George Reeves series, The Adventures of Lois and Clark, or Smallville? The Reeves series passes the test, but imo the other two aren't really Superman stories. They're like Batman Returns. Some other story with Batman/Superman tossed into the fold...

Danny
19-Mar-2011, 01:22 AM
You referring to the George Reeves series, The Adventures of Lois and Clark, or Smallville? The Reeves series passes the test, but imo the other two aren't really Superman stories. They're like Batman Returns. Some other story with Batman/Superman tossed into the fold...

smallvilles in its tenth season, in that theres at least 1 or two season of great tv about young superman from episodes that arent freak of the creek dramuh.

lois and clarke can eat a dick though, as a kid i enjoyed it, then i grew up and realized what a shitty, budget constrained show it was. kinda funny the one where he is never in costume has him dealing with actual supervillains.

Mitchified
19-Mar-2011, 03:40 PM
blerg. shes a shit super hero that started as a thinly veiled bondage fetish. i dont know who will give a shit about this series. why not just make a batman series? we've had the flash, superman why not a series about the worlds greatest detective to show another side to the character other than the dark knight we see in the movies?

plus the costumes stupid when she got a redesigned one thats a lot more practical.

That's just it, Wonder Woman isn't a bad character when she's used right. Her origin and years of terrible, terrible writing doesn't lend itself to a solo series, but when she's part of an ensemble cast (Justice League comes to mind) her character really shines. For some reason the writers of her solo series have never been able to understand that she needs other strong characters to play off of. There's nothing wrong with that, either; characters like Martian Manhunter and most of the Bat Family need this sort of thing as well.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that this should have simply been a new Flash series. If you want comedic elements while keeping fast-paced action sequences, who better to use than the Flash? Nobody takes his rogues' gallery seriously (not even the Flash himself), and unlike most heroes he's a guy that most people can relate to because he's just a sarcastic guy in a suit that happens to have superpowers. Basically he is DC's Spider-Man.

Danny
19-Mar-2011, 03:55 PM
or they could just make a live action justice league series. I doubt you'd get bale or ryan reynolds or whoevers replaced the last superman but a series like the last cartoon one that one weeks green arrow and green lantern doing something, or batman in gotham and the next something about superman or the martian manhunter. trouble is superheros have always been about the hero, tv shows are arguably more about the antagonist and to be honest id rather have an ensemble cast of the justice league showing snapshots of there lives than one lone hero going up against the same villains each week.

Doc
24-Mar-2011, 02:15 AM
They can never top!:

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac212/mccattus/No20bra.gif

:elol:

That's just it, Wonder Woman isn't a bad character when she's used right. Her origin and years of terrible, terrible writing doesn't lend itself to a solo series, but when she's part of an ensemble cast (Justice League comes to mind) her character really shines. For some reason the writers of her solo series have never been able to understand that she needs other strong characters to play off of. There's nothing wrong with that, either; characters like Martian Manhunter and most of the Bat Family need this sort of thing as well.

So, what good Wonder Woman stories would you reccomend!

Mitchified
25-Mar-2011, 02:56 PM
They can never top!:

So, what good Wonder Woman stories would you reccomend!

Well, not much from her solo series, really. I have a really high tolerance level for bad comics, but even I can't stomach the solo series. The only thing that comes to mind that's worth a look on a slow day is Amazons Attack. Even then, well... It's nothing all that special, and Marvel did it better with Civil War. Who comes off as a bigger threat, random Amazons or about a hundred Avengers?

It's a different story with "team-up" stories, however. She was used extremely well in Final Crisis (one of the very, VERY few characters that can be said about in that fairly terrible, erm, "event"). Trinity wasn't a bad storyline at all, and neither was Our Worlds at War. The basic rule of thumb with Wonder Woman is she's at her best in the Justice League books.

DjfunkmasterG
28-Mar-2011, 11:31 AM
Lynda carter, while so 70's was the hottest Wonder Woman... This new incarnation would work better as a movie and not a TV series.

bassman
30-Mar-2011, 05:09 PM
They kinda changed it.....but it still sucks.

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/wonder%20woman%20costume2a.jpg

I have a feeling this show will get the boot after only a few episodes. But then again....Smallville's made it ten years, so who knows how the teenage girls will react.

Danny
30-Mar-2011, 05:30 PM
least it looks less like a stripper halloween costume now.

Mitchified
30-Mar-2011, 05:41 PM
They probably realized that it was going to be damn near impossible to run in the original pants.

Sadly, she still looks like a rejected cosplayer that apparently has smelled something quite stinky. Is that seriously her angry/determined expression? This series needs to be nuked from orbit before it can be inflicted upon the general populace.

Neil
31-Mar-2011, 11:07 AM
Another pic here - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/8330642/Wonder-Woman-and-other-female-superheroes-in-film-and-TV.html

DjfunkmasterG
31-Mar-2011, 11:27 PM
This show keeps getting worse and worse.

Chick is ugly
Costume sucks
She looks like a hooker

Neil
09-Apr-2011, 07:37 AM
she looks like a hooker

lol!!

blind2d
12-Apr-2011, 02:53 PM
As occasionally happens, I agree with DJ.

Neil
15-Apr-2011, 07:33 AM
So when is this thing out? I can't wait to see if it works or not!?

Doc
15-Apr-2011, 08:00 AM
Well, this looks like it might bomb. Which, is to bad as I don't mind Wonder Woman, and the failure of this might send the character back along time. But how could it be help with everything already going against it already. I mean jeez, it sounds bad just by reading about it.

rongravy
17-Apr-2011, 03:55 AM
Another pic here - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/8330642/Wonder-Woman-and-other-female-superheroes-in-film-and-TV.html

All I can say is:
BOOBIES.
I've never read any comic books, other than what my older sisters let me read/even touch, but I grew up in the late 70's/early 80's. I/we are a hard audience to pander to, but I will give it a chance. I used to watch The Incredible Hulk, Captain America, and such back in the day. I'm a hard sell, as far as comic book heroes go, but I'd love to see a Justice League of America movie...
I'm a Saturday morning type of guy...
(Even though I don't get up that early these days...)

Neil
17-Apr-2011, 12:27 PM
All I can say is:
BOOBIES.
I've never read any comic books, other than what my older sisters let me read/even touch, but I grew up in the late 70's/early 80's. I/we are a hard audience to pander to, but I will give it a chance. I used to watch The Incredible Hulk, Captain America, and such back in the day. I'm a hard sell, as far as comic book heroes go, but I'd love to see a Justice League of America movie...
I'm a Saturday morning type of guy...
(Even though I don't get up that early these days...)Indeed, that shot implies black eyes are afoot!

bassman
13-May-2011, 03:01 PM
It looks like the negative reaction from fans did the trick. NBC, the only network that didn't pass on the show, has decided to give it the boot (http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/common-sense-prevails-as-nbc-passes-on-wonder-woman-series).

So I wonder if that pilot episode will ever be released. I would like to see how bad it is.

Mitchified
13-May-2011, 03:07 PM
And the world is safe for another day.

DjfunkmasterG
13-May-2011, 04:34 PM
Thank god... it looked terrible. Chick wasn't even as classy or hot as Lynda Carter

Neil
13-May-2011, 05:50 PM
it looks like the negative reaction from fans did the trick. Nbc, the only network that didn't pass on the show, has decided to give it the boot (http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/common-sense-prevails-as-nbc-passes-on-wonder-woman-series).

So i wonder if that pilot episode will ever be released. I would like to see how bad it is.
wow!! I bet heads are rolling on this one!