PDA

View Full Version : Day of the Dead Tv Cut

Doc
23-Feb-2011, 05:36 AM
So, there this site here http://www.stumpydisks.com/workprints.html that apparently, has new footage of Day of the Dead that's never been on any dvd release.

With it a bunch of other horror films with rare workprints.

I'm suspicious it doesn't say what this new/alternate footage is though. It could be BS.:rockbrow:

bassman
23-Feb-2011, 12:09 PM
Hrm.....if none of our members know anything about this supposed alternate cut, who wants to be the guinea pig? :sneaky:

I played the part for a Dawn poster a while pack, so i'm claiming immunity on this one....

Trancelikestate
23-Feb-2011, 06:29 PM
That return of the living dead sounds good. along with ED2 and creepshow, day, and ft13th part 4. those are my 5 :p

Doc
23-Feb-2011, 08:14 PM
I'll be the guinea pig Bass. Granted, I won't buy it immediately. I'm short at this time.

It says "new/alternate footage". So, I guess by alternate we should be expecting alternate dialogue, and different camera angles? And I wonder it's additional footage is more actual scenes, and not just some shots that last like, a few seconds later.

Granted, I'd probably find it cool, but would be disappointed.

From what I know there's about 30 minutes of Day cut. Some of it was just additional gore scenes, and the rest was more character development for soldiers. I'm especially, interested in the latter.

thxleo
23-Feb-2011, 08:26 PM
Don't bother wasting your money. I emailed the company and they said it was just the t.v. version with dialog sanitized and the gore removed. There are no additional scenes or alternate takes, etc...

Doc
23-Feb-2011, 08:30 PM
Aha. Ok.

I knew about a censored tv cut, but wondered if the product they were selling was indeed the one, and the same which, is the reason I was wary.

Thanks! :-)

thxleo
23-Feb-2011, 08:32 PM
From what I know there's about 30 minutes of Day cut. Some of it was just additional gore scenes, and the rest was more character development for soldiers. I'm especially, interested in the latter.

Where did you hear this? I've never heard that before.
I know that Rubinstein said in The Zombies that ate Pittsburgh the first cut was 2 hours and six minutes, which would be about 25 minutes of missing footage. However, I've spoke to a lot of people involved with the film, including the editor Pat Buba, and they have no idea what Rubinstein was talking about.

Doc
23-Feb-2011, 08:43 PM
Hmmm...? I could swore I've read articles where Romero has confirmed this a couple of times, and I actually never have heard Rubinstein talk about it before. :-o

It's pretty obvious there is some cut stuff though.

Though, I guess i shouldn't take everything Romero says as, fact. Apparently, he claims they never filmed the suicide ending of "Dawn" while, Savini says yes. And in "Documentary of the Dead" he said he filmed both. So, meh who knows.

Romero, and his crew do seem to be a forgetful bunch. And also "The Zombies that Ate Pittsburgh"? What is that?:stunned:

bassman
23-Feb-2011, 08:52 PM
Romero, and his crew do seem to be a forgetful bunch.

25 to 40 years of passed time will do that to anyone, really.

And also "The Zombies that Ate Pittsburgh"? What is that?

A book about Romero's films.

http://www.amazon.com/Zombies-That-Ate-Pittsburgh-George/dp/0396085202

It's a shame to hear is just the TV edit. I was excited by the possibility of new footage. Maybe one day...

JDFP
23-Feb-2011, 11:01 PM
A TV edit? What a joke... but it would be funny if drunk enough I suppose.

"This isn't a field trip people, it's a gosh darn war!"

"You're a Mr. Falcon caveman, Steele!"

"I wish I could fix the Mr. Falcon radio, Steele, just to get away from your Mr. Falcon dirty mouth!"

Hmm... that could actually add an all new element to the film. I can see people watching it asking: "This movie is stupid, they always talked about Mr. Falcon but he never made an appearance!" To which I would reply: "Well, he was busy working with Bruce Willis on a film at the time, they were rather good friends."

j.p.

Doc
24-Feb-2011, 02:53 AM
25 to 40 years of passed time will do that to anyone, really.

Yeah, I'm not saying he should remember every single little detail.:)

But, I've seen plenty of other directors, and writers remember vividly the details, and scenes in their own films 25 or 30 years later without, problem with the exception of some small stuff.

I can understand maybe, 2 or 3 films, but almost everytime I hear a commentary with GAR on one of his films the guy also seems not to remember much detail, or to much at all. Even with "Dawn" and "Day". Heck, he can't even remember the budget of his own film at times. :p

And no, I'm complaining at all! HAHA! It just makes me wonder at times if the info we even get on the Docs, and commentaries are even accurate at times since like, I said they seem like a forgetful bunch.

Screw it! I'll just shut up and enjoy the films!:)

A book about Romero's films.

http://www.amazon.com/Zombies-That-Ate-Pittsburgh-George/dp/0396085202

:eek: THAT'S FUCKING AWESOME!

I GOTS TO HAVE IT!

It's a shame to hear is just the TV edit. I was excited by the possibility of new footage. Maybe one day...

Yeah, bummer.

Haha, I still want to get this censored tv cut from somewhere else though. Just so, I can own another cut of Day. Even it is inferior. I'm out to collect it all!:shifty:

So, does this mean the other workprints are probably BS as well?:rockbrow:

There's also a Creepshow one in there.....

A TV edit? What a joke... but it would be funny if drunk enough I suppose.

"This isn't a field trip people, it's a gosh darn war!"

"You're a Mr. Falcon caveman, Steele!"

"I wish I could fix the Mr. Falcon radio, Steele, just to get away from your Mr. Falcon dirty mouth!"

Hmm... that could actually add an all new element to the film. I can see people watching it asking: "This movie is stupid, they always talked about Mr. Falcon but he never made an appearance!" To which I would reply: "Well, he was busy working with Bruce Willis on a film at the time, they were rather good friends."

:p:hyper: That's one tv cut I'd watch. ;)

Eyebiter
24-Feb-2011, 02:18 PM
On Scifi channel there was an edited line from Captain Rhodes about "fiddling with his command".

acealive1
24-Feb-2011, 11:53 PM
I'll be the guinea pig Bass. Granted, I won't buy it immediately. I'm short at this time.

It says "new/alternate footage". So, I guess by alternate we should be expecting alternate dialogue, and different camera angles? And I wonder it's additional footage is more actual scenes, and not just some shots that last like, a few seconds later.

Granted, I'd probably find it cool, but would be disappointed.

they did this with demolition man on a stallone warner 4 pack dvd. it was just alternate angles and slightly longer scenes. but it was VERY noticeable.

DEAD BEAT
26-Feb-2011, 03:04 AM
So, there this site here http://www.stumpydisks.com/workprints.html that apparently, has new footage of Day of the Dead that's never been on any dvd release.

With it a bunch of other horror films with rare workprints.

I'm suspicious it doesn't say what this new/alternate footage is though. It could be BS.:rockbrow:

Wow....wonder y it was never realeased? That Return of the Living Dead with new footage looks cool as well! ;)

MaximusIncredulous
27-Feb-2011, 01:05 AM
Shysters.

slickwilly13
11-Mar-2011, 06:56 PM
I read the details on some of the movies and it sounds like bullshit to me. Some of the movies already have certain extended scenes in the uncut versions. I do know that Creepshow did have deleted scenes in "Father's Day". The hunting and morgue scenes for example. I read somewhere that the "The Crate" was originally going to show Wilma's severed and chewed face at the end, but it was either never filmed or was lost.

krakenslayer
11-Mar-2011, 10:53 PM
I've never bought anything from Stumpydiscs but I have browsed the site a few times whilst researching rare-as-hell movies and I know a few people that have purchased from them. As far as grey-market DVD-R traders go, the person or people who run it is/are considered fairly reliable and honest. The site has been going for quite and is not a fly-by-night operation. Sounds like this is just a case of a slightly unclear description rather than a deliberate deception.

They should have specified that the alternate material was entirely audio in nature, but whoever has written the description has used the more general term "footage", a term which more usually refers to both audio and video. It is a little misleading, but I don't think this is the usual standard of the company, and it may not be necessarily intentional.

captain rhodes
12-Apr-2011, 11:06 AM
Yeah that stumpys dvd of day doesnt contain anything extra or worthwhile,yes the movie was originally much longer,the workprint ran for 126mins but later dropped to roughly 103mins,some of the scenes cut were...

A corpse in the city with a noose around its neck with a sign saying "Take me lord,I'm ready!"
The bridal zombie in the store window,a strobing effect from the camera prevented this closeup shot from being in the movie.
More incite into Sarah & Miguels crumbling relationship,publicity shots were taken of the lovers embracing.
Character development for the soldiers.
A close up shot of Torrez head being dragged away by zombies.
A fifth zombie is shot before steel commits suicide.

Thats all i know about the deleted scenes,apparently the workprint didnt stick around after the movie wrapped,the footage is now considered lost,but u never know, theres always the possibility it could be out there somewhere,Ive made a video for youtube showing some of the original designs for the intended script that was scrapped,u can view it below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caz8jiCLIOk&feature=watch_response

Also if incase no one here has seen it im going to include a link for an exellent day site which details some of the deleted scenes ive mentioned,the guy who runs the site says to email him with any questions but when i did email asking more about the deleted scenes he wouldnt tell me,he says it would take "too long" to mention them which suggests that he could be bullsh*tting me and letting on he knows more than he actually does.

http://drlogan.tripod.com/daymain.htm