PDA

View Full Version : Drive Angry

Neil
27-Feb-2011, 02:54 PM
So, any of you folks seen it? The reviews seem to suggest it's actually OK (in a completely tongue in cheek way)?!

rongravy
02-Mar-2011, 02:44 AM
We saw it in 3D, that was the only way you could see it around here. So that was $23 for me and my kid.
I will say it was pretty dang sweeet. It definitely had a bit of cheek in it, but not over the top. Lots of good gore in it, and not cheesed out.
And Amber Heard is boner material, too bad she doesn't like them.
XD

blind2d
02-Mar-2011, 02:51 AM
First of all, bad advice.
Secondly, I saw the trailer... so of course I'm not seeing it. This film will be forgot in the time it took to make it, mark my words.
*forgotten
Um... yeah, I'm controversial! What up?!

MinionZombie
02-Mar-2011, 10:29 AM
So, any of you folks seen it? The reviews seem to suggest it's actually OK (in a completely tongue in cheek way)?!

This is what I made of it:

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2011/02/double-bill-mini-cine-musings-stoner.html

Using 3D like it's supposed to (shoving guns, baseball bats, skull fragments, and bloody stumps deep into the lens), this romper stomper of a genre flick is good fun from-the-get-go. It's not meant to be deep, so if you were expecting anything remotely like that, then you're a fool - it's clearly about muscle cars, guns, Nic Cage doing his badass thing, and Amber Heard in Daisy Dukes ... in 3D.

Speaking of which, even though the 3D is a bit of fun, I'm really starting to lose interest in it. It's not just the bloody glasses you have to wear, nor is it just the damned cheek of charging a considerable slab more on your ticket for 3D, but it's just how damn-near-pointless 3D is. If a movie is shit, it's shit, be it in 3D or not, and vice versa. 3D isn't necessary to tell a story either, far from it, so it becomes either unimportant or a gimmick - and neither path is going to mean it properly taking off.

Moving on though, Drive Angry 3D was - at times - a little disappointing. William Fichtner's "The Accountant" is a thoroughly entertaining baddie, but there needed to be more of him throughout, meanwhile all the Satanic Cult stuff wasn't as developed (and therefore not as interesting) as it could have been, so that all became a case of generic bad guy cannon fodder for the third act. What does work are the exploitation elements - the cars, the sex, the violence, and the black humour.

Compared to Lussier & Farmer's previous 3D outing (the underwhelming remake of My Bloody Valentine, also in 3D and also featuring genre icon Tom Atkins), this is a decided step up in all respects ... it's just a shame that the pacing and plotting faltered throughout, and that some of the dialogue seemed lazy ("I'm going to kill you" - intentionally ironic in its simplicity or not, such lines came off as damp squibs when the audience was all expecting a much more creative kiss-off).

The flick would at times have a real sense of purpose propelling it forward, but then it would inexplicably lose it from time-to-time throughout (times when I'd be waiting for Fichtner's scene-stealing Accountant to turn up). Indeed, the aforementioned Satanic Cult was the most undercooked element of the script, lead by a one-note bad guy, who was entirely trumped by, yep, Fichtner's grin-inducing Accountant-from-Hell.

So it's a mixed bag, but ultimately it gets a thumbs up from me because - several scripting and pacing faults aside - it's just a bloody good time. It is called Drive Angry after all, and features sexy cars, sexy chicks, badass dudes and pounding jolts of violence ... in full-on gimmick-driven 3D.

Neil
02-Mar-2011, 10:40 AM
Saw it last night, and kinda enjoyed it.

Loved William Fichtner in it!

AcesandEights
02-Mar-2011, 01:54 PM
Saw it last night, and kinda enjoyed it.

Loved William Fichtner in it!

Fichtner is pretty cool in just about everything he does, but I've reached Nicholas Cage critical mass and will blow if I see another one of his shitty films*.

*No, they're not all bad.

MinionZombie
02-Mar-2011, 04:10 PM
Agreed with Neil and Aces - Fichtner was the bomb in this flick. He stole every scene he was in, indeed I wished there was more of him in the movie!