PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever publish a book?

MikePizzoff
28-Feb-2011, 09:13 AM
I've got an idea for a book chronicling a lot of the tours I've been on, as I always keep a tour journal. There have been plenty of funny or cool anecdotes and I think people would get a kick out of it.

However, I don't know the first thing about finding a publisher or anything like that. Any recommendations?

slickwilly13
28-Feb-2011, 03:49 PM
My dad had a short story published in an anthology of stories with other writers, but I do not know what he did. If he was still alive, I would have asked him.

krakenslayer
28-Feb-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm not a published author, but I have worked in the lower echelons of the book trade, so although I'm no expert, I am aware of some basics...

First thing's first: you need to complete your book and have a manuscript finished in a presentable state (perfect spelling, impeccable grammar, punctuation, etc.) before you even need to worry about the next step.

When it's done, you can start looking at submitting it to publishers. Sending in a manuscript can seem like almost an art-form in itself. Given the massive workload of hundreds of submissions and ever decreasing budgets, the folks who read the submissions are basically looking for reasons to reject you at the first hurdle. If the format of your submission deviates in any way from the proscribed submission guidelines, your work may be binned before they even look at the content - it could even be something as simple as you've printed your text with double line spacing when the guidelines ask for manuscripts in 1.5 line spacing, or you've put direct speech inside double marks (") when they've asked for single ('), or sent an email submission in docx instead of doc format. Before submitting anything, you need to find out the exact submission guidelines for the publishing house you are sending it to, and follow them to the letter. This won't guarantee that they'll be interested, of course, but it does give your manuscript a better chance of actually being read by someone with decision-making powers.

You'll also want to some time looking at the publishing market to see which publishers tend to release the most books in the area that you are writing. This will be more efficient, save you wasting time on fruitless submissions, and could help minimize the morale-sucking stream of rejections you are likely to get (every author gets this, by the way, so don't worry about it). Just bear in mind again that different publishing houses often have different guidelines, so ensure that you check and make any necessary changes before submitting to each new company.

Also, don't fret if someone else comes out with a super-successful book that's similar to your idea. Contrary to what you might think, it's not a disaster; it could be a boon! If publishers see one of their competitors making good money with a certain concept, they're going to want a bite of that cherry, and will instantly be on the look out for something similar that they can market to the same audience (an extreme example of this is the huge explosion in "Supernatural Romance" since the huge success of Twilight). Obviously this stands for non-fiction as well as fiction. Even if your book is only very superficially similar, if you can present it to the publisher in such a way that highlights the connections/similarities between your work and someone else's bestseller (without making it sound like a ripoff) then you instantly make your manuscript seem a lot more marketable.

Obviously, instead of all this, you could go down the route of getting an agent to handle it all and ensure your work finds the right people. However, unless you're already published, merely finding an agent willing to take you on can be just as difficult as handling the selling of the manuscript yourself, if not moreso. If you do go down the agent path, you will probably need to try and get some smaller articles published in journals or magazines before they'll consider doing business.

Eyebiter
28-Feb-2011, 11:30 PM
In this day and age, I'd go with digital publishing on the Amazon Kindle or similar book reader.

krakenslayer
01-Mar-2011, 10:03 AM
A print publisher would handle the eBook edition for you too.

You can self-publish for Kindle/eBooks but, frankly, if your work is anything better than poorly-written junk then you don't want to do that. There is an ocean of crappy self-published eBooks out there, it would be easy for Mike's book (which sounds like a pretty good idea with broad appeal) to simply become lost in that, which would be a damned shame.

No, you want a real publisher who will promote it and get it the attention it deserves.

Trin
01-Mar-2011, 07:09 PM
Kraken is throwing down some premium wisdom there.

I would only add one additional option. You may find success by contacting a literary agent who specializes in non-fiction work. A literary agent can assess your idea, help you gauge the market, help you craft the proper length and tone, etc. You don't necessarily need a completed book to begin the process going this route. A literary agent can often work from a detailed outline and some sample chapters.

Literary agents do come at a cost, most often in the form of a percentage of royalties. But they know the market. They help get your work in front of publishers and help get the best deal.

MikePizzoff
02-Mar-2011, 12:38 AM
Kraken, thanks a lot. I'll work on finishing it before I start searching for a publisher. Unless I take Trin's route. Thanks, Trin.

I know there are a couple long-term members here that have written books (Day By Day Armageddon comes to mind immediately), but they don't post very often so I'm not expecting a response from any of them.

Mr. Clean
02-Mar-2011, 02:40 AM
In this day and age, I'd go with digital publishing on the Amazon Kindle or similar book reader.

Nice! I've always wanted to have a story published...If I ever get around to finishing one I may go this route. I don't expect to make much off my writings. Just would like some shit out there with my name on it.

Darksider18
03-Mar-2011, 03:28 PM
well ive always wanted to publish mine. :). ive done 3 chapters in mine called "The Spirit Of The Stone". although i was a silly writer back then so i might adjust the plot and characters a little bit. its about an old man who has lost everything in his life. so for one last activity, he decides to take a life long journey and comes across fascinating landscapes, items of treasury, things he always dreamed of touching and witnessing. until he comes across negative energies like devlish creatures and the prince of darkness himself. great story. :). wouldnt know where to publish it though and even when i would be able to take time to finish it. lol.

Arcades057
08-Mar-2011, 01:27 AM
Whatever you do, avoid Authorhouse.

Step one would be to ship it around to a few places--again, avoiding Authorhouse like a plague of syphillis-infected zombie crotch-rats--to gauge interest. Aim for the major publishers first, slowly working your way down to the also-rans.

Step two, if step one doesn't pan out, is to start looking at vanity publishers. Basically you pay to publish your own work. Very important, though: Talk to real people who've published through the publisher. If they're anyting like Authorhouse (take your money and only reply to your queries with ads to buy more useless junk, while canceling your print run and taking money from people buying your book without ever delivering it) stay away.

Stp three is to self-publish. Can't help with that as I've no idea how to go about this one.

Good luck, and in case I haven't really made myself clear, Authorhouse is a terrible company that should be avoided by anyone who wants to get published.

Danny
08-Mar-2011, 03:50 AM
Well digital ebook distribution is the best way to go, to allow creative control, but this might bear some interest to you. http://www.kickstarter.com/

White_Zombie
08-Mar-2011, 09:42 AM
Kraken, thanks a lot. I'll work on finishing it before I start searching for a publisher. Unless I take Trin's route. Thanks, Trin.

I know there are a couple long-term members here that have written books (Day By Day Armageddon comes to mind immediately), but they don't post very often so I'm not expecting a response from any of them.

The author of Day By Day Armegeddon posted here? Strange, i have that title on my wish list. Whats his user name on this board?

Arcades057
08-Mar-2011, 12:24 PM
Raptorman.

krakenslayer
08-Mar-2011, 01:13 PM
Well digital ebook distribution is the best way to go, to allow creative control, but this might bear some interest to you. http://www.kickstarter.com/

The thing is, man, for a first-time writer "full creative control" isn't always a good thing. Don't get me wrong, if a publisher starts telling you to change details of your life story in order to sell more books, then get the hell out. But a real publisher will actually take the time to proofread your book and get an editor to work alongside you to help smooth out any issues like "slow" parts or clarity problems which usually take a fresh pair of experienced eyes to spot. It isn't about taking control away from you (normally the author still has a say in any changes) its about helping you make your work the best reading experience it can be. Even Stephen King and Clive Barker have editors. If you go down the ebook route, you likely won't get any help with that and all the little imperfections will remain in the final product, giving it an amateurish look when compared to works that have been through the correct proceses.

MikePizzoff
08-Mar-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks again, guys.

Also, is there like a specific program authors (who don't use typewriters) use? Like one that easily formats the way you want your book to be laid out? Or is it a matter of writing it out in something like Word and then it's the editors place to format the layout?

krakenslayer
08-Mar-2011, 05:11 PM
Just write out the text of it and don't worry about laying it out yet.

Publishers usually take care of the layout/graphic design side of the book themselves. The author writes the text and compiles any photographs he wants to use, and the company will assign some kind of graphic artist to design the layout and cover art, sometimes in collaboration with the author, sometimes without his input. If it's important to you to be involved at that stage, it might be worthwhile coming up with some ideas on the layout that you can present them with when the time comes, to show them that you have good ideas about it and can safely be involved in that phase of publication. But don't worry about it yet.

Danny
09-Mar-2011, 03:17 AM
The thing is, man, for a first-time writer "full creative control" isn't always a good thing. Don't get me wrong, if a publisher starts telling you to change details of your life story in order to sell more books, then get the hell out. But a real publisher will actually take the time to proofread your book and get an editor to work alongside you to help smooth out any issues like "slow" parts or clarity problems which usually take a fresh pair of experienced eyes to spot. It isn't about taking control away from you (normally the author still has a say in any changes) its about helping you make your work the best reading experience it can be. Even Stephen King and Clive Barker have editors. If you go down the ebook route, you likely won't get any help with that and all the little imperfections will remain in the final product, giving it an amateurish look when compared to works that have been through the correct proceses.

No, by creative control i dont mean not having an editor i mean things like retaining intellectual property rights. keeping full ownership and the like.