PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Pathology

forensicmd
28-Feb-2011, 09:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just found this site, very cool. I have a site dedicated to zombie pathology, if your interested, check it out: www.zombiepathology.com
I am a forensic pathologist and a neuropathologist, so I try to keep the science real!
Looking forward to many dead discussions with you all!
Pete

White_Zombie
06-Mar-2011, 12:00 AM
I read the excerpt on your site, pretty interesting.
When the pathologist opens the head to examine the brain they place it in the Y incision in the chest area and sew it shut when done? Given that the brain is taken out to be examined? Why is that?
Now lets get back to your website. The zombie blog is cool, interesting read! Add more though.
The excerpt is so-so, let me elaborate. The southern accent of the marine is cliche. Why marines as oppose to the army reserve or national guard? Are they mechanics with guns or CBRN soldiers who would deal with that scenario? What makes the doctor so special, does he work for the CDC or has past work experience with the military? In the world of a zombie apocalypse, "zombies don't exist". When have you seen a movie or read a book about zombies where the lead characters knew what they are and how to defeat them? It would take away from the plot and the mystery of the scenario.
The neuropathology report was hard to understand in some aspects, especially the terms. Your not going to give a middle school math class college level math problems and expect them to understand with out teaching them. That's my example on the subject. The autopsy report was good and easy to understand.
Now i know i grilled the excerpt hard but if you were to write a horror fiction book on the subject (which would be a good idea) i'd need it to be accurate. Zombie fans pick apart that stuff, just look around this forum.
Another idea would be to come out with a book about the scientific aspect of zombies. Why does a shot to the head kill them? How do they walk around filled with bullets? Given your line of work it would be cool and believable straight from a forensic pathologist. Also the first of its kind i believe. (Just give me credit! ;) haha!)
Just a word of advice you can't expect to come to a forum and get instant replies on your work. Build a rapport with the community first. If i didn't see you were a fellow Bostonian i would of never replied to your thread.
Good luck and i hope to hear back from you!

Yojimbo
06-Mar-2011, 07:02 AM
Just a word of advice you can't expect to come to a forum and get instant replies on your work. Build a rapport with the community first!
:) ;)

---------- Post added 06-Mar-2011 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-Mar-2011 at 11:58 PM ----------

When the pathologist opens the head to examine the brain they place it in the Y incision in the chest area and sew it shut when done? Given that the brain is taken out to be examined? Why is that?

I am a funeral director, and have personally seen remains from the coroner's office bearing the y incision but no cranial cuts. That being said, though they do not always pull the brain, I hear what you are saying and agree that the majority of the coroner's cases would be less likely to reanimate in the GAR universe since their brains are either in the abdominal cavity, or in a bag with the rest of the viscera. Good call, brother.