PDA

View Full Version : 3D Star Wars next year

Neil
04-Mar-2011, 12:15 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-Wars-The-Phantom-Menace-Gets-A-3D-Release-Date-23481.html

Just release the ORIGINAL FILMS, without your MAD F***ING ADDITIONS LUCAS!!!!!

bassman
04-Mar-2011, 12:20 PM
Let's hope these will be the final nail in the coffin for post conversion 3D. Even with all the technology at Lucas' greedy little hands, I just don't see this turning out okay. After the fact 3D never does.

Although I enjoy the prequels for what they are, do they really think people will be lining up to see them in 3D? I admit i'm interested to see how the original trilogy turns out because they're so old, but the prequels just don't seem worth the time or money, imo. But....i'm not a hard core SW fan that buys everything they throw my way....

Danny
04-Mar-2011, 12:21 PM
this is delicious timing considering all my local cinemas sent out emails to regulars on the card lists today saying 'we are removing 3d cameras from our cinemas because they are not financially viable any longer so films will only be available in traditional 2d high definition format'.

Rottedfreak
04-Mar-2011, 05:15 PM
I'll watch them on my 3DS.

Mitchified
04-Mar-2011, 05:57 PM
Ewoks were annoying enough in the original format, why in the hell would I want to feel like they're closer to me?

Neil
04-Mar-2011, 06:19 PM
Ewoks were annoying enough in the original format, why in the hell would I want to feel like they're closer to me?
I actually really like the (real) third film! However, I REALLY DO NOT LIKE the stupid Jabba's palace scene changes, or the changes to the last 2 mins of the film... Aweful! The ending now just sort of fizzles out instead of ending on a high!

MinionZombie
04-Mar-2011, 06:25 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-Wars-The-Phantom-Menace-Gets-A-3D-Release-Date-23481.html

Just release the ORIGINAL FILMS, without your MAD F***ING ADDITIONS LUCAS!!!!!

AGREED!

this is delicious timing considering all my local cinemas sent out emails to regulars on the card lists today saying 'we are removing 3d cameras from our cinemas because they are not financially viable any longer so films will only be available in traditional 2d high definition format'.

Which chain of cinemas is this?

I go to a Cineworld, and the damn thing is chock-full of films in 2D and 3D, so you've got one film using twice the damn space, because of 3-fucking-D. Ruddy piss take, so it is.

Let's see, what 3D films have I seen?

Avatar - the event movie of 2009, and a nice "ooh, look, 3D" experience.
Jackass 3D - half of it wasn't even shot in 3D, so it was in pure gimmick mode ... there was no 2D viewing option.
Tron: Legacy - because of the superbly cool look of the Tron world, and a lack of 'layering', the 3D was barely noticeable 99% of the time.
Drive Angry 3D - again, no 2D viewing option, and at least it was shot in 3D ... but again, it's just a gimmicky use of the tech, and even though I was enjoying myself, I was sat there with a very specific pondering of "what on earth is the point in this 3D malarky?"

So that's four movies in 3D I've seen since (and including) Avatar, and it's gotten boring. Oh, I did watch a few snippets of Piranha 3D with anaglyph 3D on blu-ray, and not only did it not work, but it gave me a headache, and any 'layering' was so piss-weak it was entirely pointless. I wonder if the stereoscopic version in cinemas was as pointless and 2D...

In short, post-conversion Star Wars 3D can sod off.

BillyRay
04-Mar-2011, 07:28 PM
I actually really like the (real) third film! However, I REALLY DO NOT LIKE the stupid Jabba's palace scene changes, or the changes to the last 2 mins of the film... Aweful! The ending now just sort of fizzles out instead of ending on a high!

On the bright side, Jar Jar will appear close enough to punch.

I don't see him having any trouble converting the prequels to 3-D, they was all digitally filmed to begin with, right?

Between the constant re-tweaking of his movies, and the lackluster toy commercial that is the cgi Clone Wars, Lucas isn't getting my money anymore.

Anybody wanna go in with me and write the next Star Wars-esque blockbuster series? I'll bring the beer, plus Kurazowa and old Flash Gordon DVDs for 'inspiration". You bring the SFX software.

Betcha we can write better dialogue...

Mitchified
04-Mar-2011, 09:15 PM
Anybody wanna go in with me and write the next Star Wars-esque blockbuster series? I'll bring the beer, plus Kurazowa and old Flash Gordon DVDs for 'inspiration". You bring the SFX software.

Betcha we can write better dialogue...

To be fair, mentally handicapped squirrels that have been sniffing paint fumes can write better dialogue than the second half of Episode III.

Doc
04-Mar-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm actually looking forward to this. I want to see the original 3 films on the big screen despite, it being the Special Editions.

rongravy
05-Mar-2011, 12:02 AM
On the bright side, Jar Jar will appear close enough to punch.

Ha! Troo dat.

Actually, I'd have to see at least four and five. But since I'm going to have to wait for them, I'll probably see the others just for heck of it. But who is not going to want to see how well they do Empire? The Hoth battle and all the other fight scenes? I'm at least seeing that, but I'm pretty easy. Maybe he'll use some of that money to finally make 7-9.

Doc
05-Mar-2011, 12:05 AM
^^^^^^^^^

NO! LEAVE THE FRANCHISE ALONE NOW!

No episodes 7-9!

Danny
05-Mar-2011, 12:38 PM
my grans opinion "what? thats stupid, why not do it with something that would use it to effect like jurassic park?" gotta say i agree jurassic park would be rad in 3d.

rongravy
06-Mar-2011, 12:54 PM
NO! LEAVE THE FRANCHISE ALONE NOW!

No episodes 7-9!
Muwahahahahahahaha.

my grans opinion "what? thats stupid, why not do it with something that would use it to effect like jurassic park?" gotta say i agree jurassic park would be rad in 3d.

I wish they'd 3D up some good older concerts. Something better than Bieber, please. The Grateful Dead Movie, Zappa, or some Phish...
On the Duran Duran Live in London dvd, one of the songs is in 3D. Pretty dang sweeet.

Ghost Of War
07-Mar-2011, 07:25 AM
Muwahahahahahahaha.

I wish they'd 3D up some good older concerts. Something better than Bieber, please. The Grateful Dead Movie, Zappa, or some Phish...
On the Duran Duran Live in London dvd, one of the songs is in 3D. Pretty dang sweeet.

Dude, AC/DC in 3D would be fantastic.
The only film I've seen in 3D was Monsters v Aliens, and only because the kids wanted to see it in 3D. It was ok, but I find the whole 3D thing very gimmicky. Especially over here in the UK, with pubs showing football in 3D and shit. No way I'm standing in a bar with 3D glasses on, my vision gets blurry enough.

bassman
07-Mar-2011, 12:28 PM
Dude, AC/DC in 3D would be fantastic.
The only film I've seen in 3D was Monsters v Aliens, and only because the kids wanted to see it in 3D. It was ok, but I find the whole 3D thing very gimmicky. Especially over here in the UK, with pubs showing football in 3D and shit. No way I'm standing in a bar with 3D glasses on, my vision gets blurry enough.

3D sports broadcasts? I had no idea they had taken it that far. How are 3D sports supposed to work, anyway? Aren't they generally filmed from a distance? You know....from the sidelines?

darth los
07-Mar-2011, 01:47 PM
I was sat there with a very specific pondering of "what on earth is the point in this 3D malarky?"

I'll humour you for a sec and assume you're serious.

Imo, it's just the latest in gimmicky money grabs. These corps. have a certain pricepoint that they must maintain in order to reach the projections they promised the stockholders.

Take what has become the default pricepoint for consoles which is around 400 dollars. They know they can't charge you 400 dollars for old tech so they need to come up with something, anything so that they can keep charging you that price, thus securing their bottom lines.

Like the motion controls for consoles or the 3-D for cinema/consoles, I can't remmber anyone clamoring for this stuff. It's simply crammed down our throats and we're told that it's the next big thing and we have to have it.

As for how I feel about 3D. There wasn't a big void in my life that screamed tobe filled with 3 D, so I can live without it.

:cool:

MinionZombie
07-Mar-2011, 05:38 PM
Well, yeah, it's a money grab - but I was talking aside from the obvious reason at a corporate level.

I wonder what attendence figures for 3D films are like now after the 18 months-ish that it's been around in full force, and indeed, how well are those retarded 3DTVs selling? :rockbrow:

Ghost Of War
07-Mar-2011, 05:39 PM
3D sports broadcasts? I had no idea they had taken it that far. How are 3D sports supposed to work, anyway? Aren't they generally filmed from a distance? You know....from the sidelines?

Yeah, we've had 3D football (soccer to you heathens), boxing, rugby, darts and I'm sure others. Never watched them myself, and don't really plan on doing so.

darth los
07-Mar-2011, 05:50 PM
how well are those retarded 3DTVs selling? :rockbrow:

Funny you should mention that. I just read this article this morning. Don't know if you know but Best Buy is like the biggest electronics retailer in the U.S.

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/112269/forecast-for-best-buy-worst-yet-to-come

As for what the squawk on the street is. I don't see much of a buzz. I mean no even talks about 3 D. I had the money to upgrade my setup recently and the whole setup would have cost me 4-5,000. :eek:

Are these people fucking kidding me man? :duh:

:cool:

MinionZombie
08-Mar-2011, 09:48 AM
The take-up on Blu-Ray is relatively slow when compared to DVD, but no doubt that's because everyone leapt onto DVD in a flash as it was a major step up in terms of home video, and people then went on to grow large collections and DVDs themselves would quickly drop in price after the first couple of years.

Not so with Blu-Ray, which comes along when DVD is still strong, people have huge collections, and the prices of BR's fail to drop for months (at least in the UK ... for example, Taken can be bought for £3 on DVD, but the Blu-Ray is £10), and it means getting a new disc player - and even a new television - so it's not easy to just leap on that bandwagon ... plus the fallout from the economic crisis.

Go a step further, and we have 3DTV - who the fuck is going to buy a television, with few programmes and movies actually in 3D to watch on it, that requires you to sit like a knob'ed in your living room with glasses on? I've already grown tired of it in the cinema, nevermind watching 3D in my own home! It's an unnecessary technology - a piece of shit is still a piece of shit, whether it's in 3D or not. As much as Hollywood and tech manufacturers scream about "how awesome" 3D in general is, I just don't see the people on the street being all that enthused - the novelty in cinemas has worn off (a ruddy cheek too that you have to pay more than £2 extra a ticket to see a 3D movie!), so who on earth wants it in their homes?

Danny
08-Mar-2011, 09:58 AM
fuck 3d tv. bloke i know bought one for 5 grand, came with a pair of glasses- two glassesm that require fucking BATTERIES to watch television.

if you buy a 3d tv you are bloody mad.

MinionZombie
08-Mar-2011, 05:36 PM
fuck 3d tv. bloke i know bought one for 5 grand, came with a pair of glasses- two glassesm that require fucking BATTERIES to watch television.

if you buy a 3d tv you are bloody mad.

The glasses require batteries?!

Fuckin' loon with more money (or debt) than sense!

blind2d
09-Mar-2011, 03:25 PM
3-D hasn't been cool since Eo. I already said that? Well, it's still true, dammit!
Star Wars? Fu.... Man...
What's wrong with Ewoks?! I love the lil' ankle-biters!! Yub-yub, bitch!

Neil
01-Apr-2011, 12:10 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49066

This bit made me laugh!:-

This process is said to involve "meticulous crafting and attention to detail" - which means the folks doing the conversion are, in all probability, paying closer attention to the film than Lucas did when we he wrote and directed it.

BillyRay
06-Apr-2011, 06:51 PM
Penny arcade is late to the game - but pretty funny, anyhow:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/

shootemindehead
06-Apr-2011, 08:39 PM
I just wish Lucas would die. I really hate the fucker now. He's gone from master to gobshite and he's still not finished with his downward spiral.

I watched 'Star Wars' last night (for the first time in ages) and that Greedo scene and that Jabba scene a few minutes later have to rank as some of the worst cinematic decisions ever to be taken. Not only does Greedo fire first, but he misses Han Solo from about 5ft away!!!! And the Jabba scene then goes on to repeat most of the Greedo scene's lines!

Fuckin hell........Lucas, you stupid c*nt.

bassman
06-Apr-2011, 10:03 PM
I just wish Lucas would die.

He's going to next year. According to him, we all are. The guy seriously believes that the world will end in 2012. :|

MoonSylver
06-Apr-2011, 10:14 PM
He's going to next year. According to him, we all are. The guy seriously believes that the world will end in 2012. :|

Which is why he's trying to cash in on as much "Star Wars" shit as he can in the short time he has left? :rockbrow: Not to cast dispersions in your direction, but that doesn't make sense...:duh:

bassman
06-Apr-2011, 10:34 PM
Which is why he's trying to cash in on as much "Star Wars" shit as he can in the short time he has left? :rockbrow: Not to cast dispersions in your direction, but that doesn't make sense...:duh:

I don't know if he believes it or not, but I remember reading some articles about it. I also remember seeing Seth Rogen on Conan Obrien saying that the first time he met Lucas, he was seriously discussing the world's end in 2012. Of course he could have been joking, but Rogen says he was pretty damn convincing.

You never know with these insanely rich folks. Look at Scientology, ya know what I mean?

MoonSylver
06-Apr-2011, 11:15 PM
I don't know if he believes it or not, but I remember reading some articles about it. I also remember seeing Seth Rogen on Conan Obrien saying that the first time he met Lucas, he was seriously discussing the world's end in 2012. Of course he could have been joking, but Rogen says he was pretty damn convincing.

You never know with these insanely rich folks. Look at Scientology, ya know what I mean?

Oh yeah, I know. I'm just thinking if I knew I only had a year left & his kind of money I'd either be traviling the world, partying like a rock star, giving all of my $ away, joining a budihist monistary, something, not thinking "gotta hurry & crank out as many episodes of The Clone Wars & as many crappy toys & merchendise as I can!!!" :rolleyes: :lol:

Doc
07-Apr-2011, 02:05 AM
Despite, the hate of this.....I want this to happen.

Wasn't born for the original releases, and to young to see the Re-releases back in the late 90's. Ii know it will be the altered versions, but damn it! I want to see "Empire" and "Jedi" on the big screen!

MoonSylver
07-Apr-2011, 04:57 AM
Despite, the hate of this.....I want this to happen.

Wasn't born for the original releases, and to young to see the Re-releases back in the late 90's. Ii know it will be the altered versions, but damn it! I want to see "Empire" and "Jedi" on the big screen!

Yeah. despite being old enough, I liked in a pretty rural area growing up & didn't get to got to movies, so I never saw "Star Wars" or "ESB" on th big screen. So even though I'd seen them a zillion times on cable & then home video, I was still there opening weekend for all 3. That's why I'm not too fussed if he wants to re-release 'em, 3-D or not. Fuck it, give everybody that wants to see 'em on the big screen the option to, as many times as they want to. :)

bassman
14-Oct-2011, 12:29 PM
Poster for the first 3D release:

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/phantom-3d-sm.jpg

Is it just me or is that thing an admission of guilt? No Anakin, no Jar Jar, just bad ass Darth Maul taking up most of the sheet. Think Lucas is leaving off the main characters in hopes that people forget?:rockbrow:

The trailer is supposed to be attached to some 3D movie released next week.

Danny
14-Oct-2011, 12:34 PM

Is it just me or is that thing an admission of guilt? No Anakin, no Jar, just bad ass Darth Maul taking up most of the sheet. Think Lucas is leaving off the main characters in hopes that people forget?:rockbrow:

Think its more to do with the fact that lucas made the creators of the clone wars retcon darth maul so he never actually died in the phantom menace and is the bad guy in the next season of the clone wars.
For some reason the old bulfrogs really pushing on making darth maul a big deal again for 'the fans', whoever they may be.

AcesandEights
14-Oct-2011, 01:35 PM
For some reason the old bulfrogs really pushing on making darth maul a big deal again for 'the fans', whoever they may be.

Is that what he calls his inner cabal of coattail-riding toadies?

Neil
14-Oct-2011, 06:29 PM

Is it just me or is that thing an admission of guilt? No Anakin, no Jar Jar, just bad ass Darth Maul taking up most of the sheet. Think Lucas is leaving off the main characters in hopes that people forget?:rockbrow:

So now we can enjoy the mess of a plot/script in 3D? Ummm... Let me think... NO!

And at the bottom it says at 3D and selected 2D theaters? So at a 'selected 2D' cinemas you're paying to see the same garbage as first time round!?

Rottedfreak
14-Oct-2011, 08:25 PM
Release the trailer on 3DS.

blind2d
14-Oct-2011, 10:15 PM
Yep, that poster has all the things that were cool about that movie... *checks again* Yep.

Danny
14-Oct-2011, 11:33 PM
i think yodas face says everything about the only star wars film worse than battlefield earth.

EvilNed
15-Oct-2011, 12:30 AM
I've got to admit, I thought The Phantom Menace was leagues better than both Attack of the Clones and especially Revenge of the Sith. That was the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen. Jar Jar or no Jar Jar, I don't care. At least The Phantom Menace had somewhat of an adventure going on. Attack of the Clones had nothing except for cringeworthy acting and action scenes that were so lifeless that I almost cried. And Revenge of the Sith... Where to begin... Take the drab, boring action scenes from Attack of the Clones and fill an entire film with them. Add even more lifeless, ugly CGI. Ruin Darth Vader. Introduce yet another flat villain. The worst time I've ever had at the cinemas (I'm not joking).

Mike70
15-Oct-2011, 04:06 PM
all i have to say about this is: NO.

ok maybe i'll stick in a bit more: the phantom menace sucked the first time around really, really badly. i fail to see what 3D is going to do to make this boring shit fest any better.

bassman
15-Oct-2011, 07:30 PM
I can't be the only one looking forward to 3D slave Leia in Jedi? It's like a childhood fantasy fulfilled..... :shifty:

bassman
24-Oct-2011, 05:10 PM
6mzuZFxRwfg

When this is considered a failure, it's going to be hard to determine if it's because of the bad movie or because of the equally bad post 3D conversion. Perhaps both?