PDA

View Full Version : "Day of the Dead" Wampum mine 5k race

thxleo
06-Mar-2011, 09:20 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11065/1129515-51.stm?cmpid=newspanel2

axlish
06-Mar-2011, 10:49 PM
Very cool. Hats off to that 87 year old fellow making us all look bad!

AcesandEights
06-Mar-2011, 10:55 PM
Awwww, I thought they just might be dressed as zombies! Even still, it's pretty cool and I'm glad they mentioned Day. I'm fascinated by Wampum and similar large underground facilities. I mean, come on--2.5 million square feet underground! It's just amazing.

Good find, THXLEO. Thank you.

Philly_SWAT
07-Mar-2011, 02:02 AM
As someone who has been inside this mine, I can say that this is a cool story. And I can also attest to the fact that it immediately changes temperature as soon as you enter.

bassman
07-Mar-2011, 12:30 PM
Very cool.

If this event were crossed with the one Kaos posted recently, I would have a plane ticket in my hands...

Trin
07-Mar-2011, 01:43 PM
Cool story. I'd have loved to gone, except my time would've been more like 4 hours since I'd be stopping every 10 feet looking for signs of movie locations.

SubTropolis, the Kansas City based cave system, is pretty cool by the way. I stored my boat there for several years. We have two other underground business parks in my area that I've been to.

darth los
07-Mar-2011, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=Trin;261163]Cool story. I'd have loved to gone, except my time would've been more like 4 hours since I'd be stopping every 10 feet looking for signs of movie locations.

[QUOTE]

You'd never be able to show your face around here again if you didn't.

Tin: "Guys, I went to go see the mine."

Community: "Sweet trin, so did you get a pic of the site where they barricaded off the coral?

Trin: "Uh-no. I was kind of in a race".

Commuity: "BANNED"

:cool:

Trin
07-Mar-2011, 04:11 PM
Are you kidding? I'd be at the corral spot in advance of the runners and when I saw them I'd holler, "This way you dumbf&*cks"

Then I'd hop on a golf cart and leave them all in the dust... cause we all know a little electric golf cart can outrun a guy.

thxleo
07-Mar-2011, 04:28 PM
Unfortunately, a great deal of the mine looks very different today. It would be impossible to find the area where the corral was filmed, unless you had someone from the mine to show you. They have put up new cinder block walls in areas, paved the floors in many spots, and painted the cave walls white.

My last visit was in January for a film project involving Lori Cardille and John Amplas called The Three. A worker at the mine, Skip, gave us a brief tour. He worked as a liaison for the mine and the production of Day of the Dead back in 1984/1985. He showed us where the corral was and the area was completely unrecognizable. All of the offices in the back have been demolished. All of those hallways and doors are now gone and it's just one big open area filled with shelves and documents.

There are some spots that you can still immediately recognize though, like the corridor where Terry Alexander and Jarlath Conroy walk down after they decline to go help Lori Cardille and Gary Klar wrangle zombies near the beginning of the film. Also, the giant "dining hall" where Joe Pilato threatens to shoot Lori Cardille is now used for storage. It's filled with all kinds of junk, but you can instantly recognize it.

darth los
07-Mar-2011, 04:29 PM
Are you kidding? I'd be at the corral spot in advance of the runners and when I saw them I'd holler, "This way you dumbf&*cks"

Then I'd hop on a golf cart and leave them all in the dust... cause we all know a little electric golf cart can outrun a guy.

The final half hour of that film is pure gold and that golf cart scene is definitely a highlight. I still can't watch it without laughing.

See guys? Golf cart was a good silly but not pie fight silly (bad silly). :D

:cool:

Neil
07-Mar-2011, 08:23 PM
Awwww, I thought they just might be dressed as zombies!
Should of had some zombies chasing them :)

sandrock74
09-Mar-2011, 11:40 PM
What would have made this truly EPIC, would have been to have Joe Pilato there to drive a golf cart thru everyone!

I would have fallen over laughing my butt off...

Trin
10-Mar-2011, 01:56 PM
Did you see those 5K completion times? The golf cart doesn't have a chance.