PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Kinect 'fastest-selling device on record'

Neil
10-Mar-2011, 11:32 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12697975

Personally, it seems to have great novelty value, but I really don't see it as a worth while controller? But I;ve only had limited time with one, and don't own a XBox!

bassman
10-Mar-2011, 12:11 PM
I haven't had a chance to play with one yet, but isn't there only a select few games for it? I'll be sticking with the wii for "exercising" game playing until the Kinect drops in price and there are more games. At this point it seems like a gimick. Like home theater 3D...

Danny
10-Mar-2011, 12:17 PM
it cost more than my ps3, even if i was interested in the casual game line up i have a wii for that, i can only assume this is the console equivalent of the ds, the surge in sales arent from people who already play games a lot y'know? more power to them but its not my thing.

MinionZombie
10-Mar-2011, 01:09 PM
Sold, or shipped?

Was hearing about this on YouTube earlier, IGN Daily perhaps, and they said shipped, which isn't sales. Even still, there'll be a considerable number of novelty purchases, but the Wii has a considerable number of people who've bought it and gotten over the novelty, so it'll be the same with the most mispelled product on the planet - the ruddy Kinect.

Personally I've got zero interest in waggling my arms around like a hallucinating monkey on benzodiazeprines on some novelty cutesy game. I want to sit on my arse, in a chair, with a joypad in my hand mashing buttons with my thumbs like a normal, evolved person. :sneaky:

AcesandEights
10-Mar-2011, 01:21 PM
My girlfriend picked one up not too long ago and it works and registers movements extremely well! Way better than I had imagined possible. Not my exact cup of tea, but every once in a while getting the blood pumping while playing a game has been fun.

So none of you own a Kinect? Does this mean I can lay claim to the title HPOTD Dance Battle Champion?

bassman
10-Mar-2011, 01:42 PM
So none of you own a Kinect? Does this mean I can lay claim to the title HPOTD Dance Battle Champion?

If that's the title you want attached to your name, by all means....go right ahead. :lol:

Danny
10-Mar-2011, 01:52 PM
My girlfriend picked one up not too long ago and it works and registers movements extremely well! Way better than I had imagined possible. Not my exact cup of tea, but every once in a while getting the blood pumping while playing a game has been fun.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/1288825753262.png

AcesandEights
10-Mar-2011, 02:00 PM
Bassman, you've given me food for thought <insert goatee-stroking smilie here>.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/1288825753262.png

:lol: I remember when you originally posted that and it's still just as funny. That said, I'll reiterate: as someone who had very low expectations, Kinect has been a pleasant surprise. Is it stepping stone tech that doesn't really matter to most regular users at a practical level? Yup.

CoinReturn
10-Mar-2011, 03:15 PM
Great numbers for Microsoft! I'm still not interested, but I wouldn't mind buying it if the software was more compelling. The first wave of games were there to get people interested in the technology, not necessary for deep gameplay experiences.

With E3 less than 3 months away, hopefully they'll have something to show for the grizzled gamer crowd. Not that they need to, as they could ride the casual wave as high as Nintendo did and never look back. Should be interesting.

Danny
10-Mar-2011, 03:46 PM
for the price it definitely needs some bigger names game wise. I've got move and was sold on resi 5, heavy rain and killzone 3- but then again it cost me a bit less than the price of a single game, not a single console so it wasnt like they had to try as hard to pull in the gamers who will keep it afloat when nintendo shits out whatever the new hotness will be next and draws the family crowd back in.

LouCipherr
10-Mar-2011, 03:51 PM
I'll just add this: we picked up a Kinect for my son and his 360 - he used it the first week to play Kinect games. After that, he used it more for voice commands to his xbox (I had no idea it did this!) and using it as a mic to talk to his friends on XBL (he was sick of wearing headsets). Most of the time I see him playing his Xbox, he's not using the Kinect. I think it was just a "novelty" thing for him. Sorta like the Wii is to him now. :lol:

AcesandEights
10-Mar-2011, 03:59 PM
After that, he used it more for voice commands to his xbox (I had no idea it did this!) and using it as a mic to talk to his friends on XBL (he was sick of wearing headsets). Most of the time I see him playing his Xbox, he's not using the Kinect. I think it was just a "novelty" thing for him. Sorta like the Wii is to him now. :lol:

Oddly enough, I've never even tried the voice commands or used it for chat...

bassman
10-Mar-2011, 04:05 PM
Sorta like the Wii is to him now. :lol:

Although I've talked a bunch of shit about the wii in the past....I'll usually defend it these days. It doesn't get too much play in my household, but it's fantastic for parties. Something as simple as wii sports will entertain for hours when you've got drunk people swaying around and getting irritated. :lol:

I've also enjoyed the mario and Ghostbusters games, but I say the system is worth having for just parties or get togethers. Loads of fun...

Danny
10-Mar-2011, 04:08 PM
Although I've talked a bunch of shit about the wii in the past....I'll usually defend it these days. It doesn't get too much play in my household, but it's fantastic for parties. Something as simple as wii sports will entertain for hours when you've got drunk people swaying around and getting irritated. :lol:

I've also enjoyed the mario and Ghostbusters games, but I say the system is worth having for just parties or get togethers. Loads of fun...

man if they patched the ghosbusters game on the ps3 to work with move that would be shit hot.

bassman
10-Mar-2011, 04:11 PM
man if they patched the ghosbusters game on the ps3 to work with move that would be shit hot.

Although I preferred the realistic 360/ps3 versions of the game, the wii version was loads of fun. How could it not be? You get to physically struggle against the ghosts and roll out the trap! It's like a lifelong dream come true. :lol:

I wish I would've made one of those wand adapters for the wii controller, though....

CoinReturn
10-Mar-2011, 04:58 PM

Well, someone's gotta carry the torch:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/292988/news/wii-consoles-gathering-dust-survey-says/

Wii consoles gathering dust, survey says
Half of UK Wii owners haven't used their system in the past six months

A survey by discount site Myvouchercodes has found that UK Wiis are gathering dust as users neglect Nintendo's console.

Of about 1,070 Wii owners polled, 48 percent said they hadn't used their console in six months or more, according to Gamerzines.

Of those, 41 percent said they didn't have the time, 29 percent said the novelty had worn off, and 22 percent had moved on to Kinect or PlayStation Move.

23 percent said they hadn't used the console within the last month and 12 percent said they had not used the system within the last week.

While I don't think Nintendo is in danger of losing much ground, those numbers have to be troubling to their executives. They can't get Wii HD out there soon enough!

ProfessorChaos
10-Mar-2011, 05:05 PM
still not interested in the kinnect, doubt i ever will be. still seems like a gimmick that doesn't appeal whatsoever to my gaming interests.

MinionZombie
10-Mar-2011, 05:32 PM
Prof - agreed.

Coin - I'm not in the slightest bit surprised that, from that survery, such a large proportion weren't using their Wii units anymore (sounds a bit pervy, doesn't it? ;)) ... methinks Move and Kinect will have the same fate.

ProfessorChaos
10-Mar-2011, 11:38 PM
my wii is great for when i have friends and family with wii sports/new super mario bros, as well as being the ultimate nostalgia machine for me with a handful of old school castlevania games, a few zelda games, zombies ate my neighbors, and the resident evil(s) 1-4. sadly, i barely play it.

the games other than wii sports haven't impressed me all that much. i'd rather just stick with a controller for gaming, i'm quite active and fit, don't need to get my exercise from shitty gimmicks.

Mr. Clean
22-May-2011, 04:05 AM
Just bought a kinect. I'm pretty happy with it. It came with Kinect Adventures and I bought Kinect Sports and Kinectimals.

Kinect Adventures - Pretty wakey games on it. I was in a raft going down a river in one and this other one where your in a glass box under the water and fish start putting holes in the glass and you have to plug them up.

Kinectimals - My son is 2 1/2 years old and struggles a bit. I would suggest it for a 4 year old for sure. An adult will get bored with this one in about 15 mins.

Kinect Sports - I can kick some ass at Track and Field. I still suck at bowling at the moment. This game and Kinect Adventures left me really sore. Really great workout!

Looking forward to a few releases coming soon. Powerup Heros and Star Wars Kinect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40iFJ532LZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjoEPJGgAKI